PDA

View Full Version : A one night bash and what we found.

MadZ
01-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello

as some of you may have seen from the "what have you brought now" thread, i got hold of a new 4 season sleeping bag and wanted to try it out, got hold of me mate and off we went, a new place we don't normally go to, as we have not really had a good scout about so we chose to go there and have a bit of a night under the tarps, while we where out and about we found a few things that made for some good photo's and some things i have not seen local for a while, so here is a few pics of what we had around us in this wooded area.

first of all was this, what i believe to be a beef steak fungi, not 100% so it stayed put
and a shot of the under side

second was what i believe to be a fly agaric mushroom, 85% on this on as its half eaten, not by me, stayed where we found it

MadZ
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
some others

thats all the fungi/mushrooms we found

MadZ
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
also while on a little scout of the woods we came across a game trail, followed it for a while trying to maintain a stealthy approach and found this blood on some leaves

after following the trail for a while we came across a little monk jack dear, unfortunately we startled it before being able to get a photo

ian c
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Nice pictures I do not touch fungi/ mushrooms as do not want to poison myself or others.

MadZ
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
we did find some oak trees with some of the largest burr i have ever seen

all in all a good night out with some nice finds along the way, the bonus was the sleeping bag was great, i did receive a nice bite from something whilst sleeping, now my left eye is swollen up to the point it looks like i got a nice punch to the head, i knew i couldn't get away with all that pleasure with no pain, but hey i wouldn't have it any other way.

cheers, hope the pics give you something to look at for five minutes, i certainly had fun taking them

MadZ

Skate
02-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Love Autumn which is just arriving. Great to see all the fungi appearing. That is some burr you found and thanks for not calling it a burl as the Americans do (my pet hate) :)

Chubbs
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
i did receive a nice bite from something whilst sleeping, now my left eye is swollen up to the point it looks like i got a nice punch to the head,

Glad you had a good time out there mate, great pictures as well.

Could that bite be a wasp. The little blighters are everywhere at the moment and while sat around the fire yesterday morning it sounded like the worlds biggest nest was right above us. A couple of weeks ago a couple of the guys were stung at camp, including hedgemumper (Paul) who decided to be greedy and eat one, leaving him with a swollen mouth.

MadZ
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Glad you had a good time out there mate, great pictures as well.

Could that bite be a wasp. The little blighters are everywhere at the moment and while sat around the fire yesterday morning it sounded like the worlds biggest nest was right above us. A couple of weeks ago a couple of the guys were stung at camp, including hedgemumper (Paul) who decided to be greedy and eat one, leaving him with a swollen mouth.

Thanks Chubbs, it was a lovely time out best in over 10 years i can honestly say, could have been a wasp maybe, there was plenty of buzzing all night long
i think it was a mozzie as i have a few in a very close radius, its only getting bigger looks like a bag of marbles at the moment, like i said though would not change it, i'm getting rather used to having a pirate look at about me ;).

blimey bet he felt that in the morning, lucky it was not in the throat, could have been a bad one that, is he alright now??

cheers

Madz

Stamp
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Good pic's mate, were abouts did you head out to?

MadZ
02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Good pic's mate, were abouts did you head out to?

as your a local you'll more than likely know the location, its the bottom of burdrop woods, just off of ladder lane near the old American military hospital, wroughton

cheers

Madz

Chiseller
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Looks like a great trip MadZ , that burr is the boy

OakAshandThorn
02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
:shocked: Dang! You could almost live inside that oak burr!

MadZ
02-09-2013, 06:01 PM
yeah in the near 30 years of my life i have never seen such a burr, i would really love to get some slices of it but i can't bring myself to take a saw to it, i feel it should be left so as nature can reclaim it at her own free will, would make some lovely scales and bowls, i know the fallen one was a dead stander three years ago, not sure when it died but with most oak it takes 300 years to grow 300 years living and about 300 years to completely disappear, potentially an ancient tree and thats another reason i cant bring myself to cut it up.

glad you like them guys

Chiseller
02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
yeah in the near 30 years of my life i have never seen such a burr, i would really love to get some slices of it but i can't bring myself to take a saw to it, i feel it should be left so as nature can reclaim it at her own free will, would make some lovely scales and bowls, i know the fallen one was a dead stander three years ago, not sure when it died but with most oak it takes 300 years to grow 300 years living and about 300 years to completely disappear, potentially an ancient tree and thats another reason i cant bring myself to cut it up.

glad you like them guys

Great attitude :thumbup::thumbup:

Stamp
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
as your a local you'll more than likely know the location, its the bottom of burdrop woods, just off of ladder lane near the old American military hospital, wroughton

cheers

Madz

I know it well, don't go there very often these days though. Will have to check it out with you.

AdrianRose
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi MadZ

The second pic isn't fly agaric mate, its Russula emetica aka The Sickener.

Hope that helps

Ade.

Chubbs
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
is he alright now?

He is mate, but it was helluva bite.

Rasputin
03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Ah ! the simple and highly enjoyable pleasures of life, could it be any better ? T^

MadZ
03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you Ade, was i right about the top pic being a beef steak?? if so i'll go grab it tomorrow

Chubbs, thats good hear man, any kind of bite or sting round the mouth and throat can be quiet nasty.

Cheers guys