PDA

View Full Version : Had a go at making something like the Zombie ball tinder

MadZ
28-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I really liked the idea of the zombie balls, so i had a quick bash at making something similar to the zombie balls in the thread Holwing dingo started, may even be the same method,
i got some candles with long wicks,
a pot of vaseline,
cotton balls,
coke can cut up,
lighter,
pliers for gripping the hot cans and to hold the wick'd balls,
A small fire for melting wax and vaseline.

strip the wax from the candles keeping the wicks, open up the cotton balls placing one end of the wick inside, ball it back up and wrap the remaining wick round the ball going under the loops as you wrap, leaving a few cm for a wick, melt the vaseline in the cut coke can and dip the wick wrapped balls, leave to solidify as much as possible, then clean the can, and melt the wax you stripped the wicks from, dip the vaseline infused balls into the wax and then leave to dry/harden when they are warm to touch manipulate them into a more even ball shape and let them go cold, there you have something near the zombie balls. i did make the mistake of lighting one in the house and they do stink quiet badly.

have not tested them in water yet to see if they are water proof but they burn for about 8-10 mins, ample time to get a :campfire: going.

i need to test these with flint and steel as they ignite from the smallest spark from a ferro rod and i mean small. rather pleased with the outcome and still have materials to make a bunch more, cost me less than £5.

i'll grab some photo's shortly and if i can dig out a good camera i'll make a little video.

Madz

David_JAFO
28-08-2013, 02:59 PM
hello,
Excellent :wink: 'Chubbs' (Neil) made sometime ago something similar, Cotton Tinder using Kiwi Neutral shoe polish instead of Vaseline, great tinder BTW (tried & tested from sample) might be worth trying the neutral shoe polish too Andy?
Regards
David

T^

MadZ
29-08-2013, 09:27 AM
the ingredients, finish product pics will follow soon

Tigger004
30-08-2013, 12:46 PM
nice one, thanks