PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out in Cornwall next sat(31st)?

Big T
27-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Hiya,

Is anyone planning a trip out next weekend? I'm hopefully sorting a new site just outside redruth, if that doesn't come off then I will prob pop up to my regular site at woodland valley farm if anyone fancies it!? I should know in the next few days if the new site is a goer or not, will update this post if anyone's up for a night out!

Chubbs
27-08-2013, 09:56 PM
What about this weekend sonny ;)

jus_young
27-08-2013, 10:06 PM
You chaps will be moving out to there permanently soon at the rate your going!

Chubbs
27-08-2013, 10:58 PM
You chaps will be moving out to there permanently soon at the rate your going!

More than likely Jus.

You know what the place is like mate, no hassle, easy going and no rules as long as you respect the place and keep it tidy.

I might speak to Mr Jones in the not too distant future about looking for a part of the wood for a permanent site for members of this forum and guests. I'm not bothered where it is, but it would be nice to have a permanent camp with bush kitchen, dunny and the like.

I know that this bushcraft lark is all about exploring, but I'm sure that there are plenty of forty somethings with medical problems like myself that can't hike for more than a few miles but would like to visit a settled camp with their kids in the woods for a few days boys stuff.

When I joined the forum not too long ago, the main reason was to connect with my boy as he was spending too much time on his Xbox. Just over a year later we, including my seven year old daughter are always talking about the next time we will be camping, what we will be doing and what we will be eating.

I think that for a few minutes discussion on the phone we will be able to put this into action and spread the word of Natural Bushcraft.

Big T
28-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Sweet, yeah I meant the approaching weekend! If your up for it mate I will start packing! Lol!

Big T
28-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Jus, if I could I would! Everytime I go there it's such a chillout and feels like I'm home! Good surroundings, good company and good food!:-D what more could you want!B-)

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 12:25 AM
If your up for it mate I will start packing! Lol!

The weather is looking ok, so it would be rude not to ;)

I'm going to bring my youngest girl to this one. It will give the wife an evening of pure bliss !!.

Big T
29-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Gd lad! If I get time I will check out the site also lanner, if we can park close we could give that a go, if not or u prefer Bigfoot woods that's cool with me!

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Where is the site at Lanner mate

Big T
29-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I`ll PM you mate;)

Big T
29-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Can't get hold of the woman at lanner so looks like it's Bigfoot woods! Any idea's for tea? bbq? Pot of chilli?

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Any idea's for tea? bbq? Pot of chilli?

I was thinking the same earlier mate.

Chilli sounds good. My turn to buy this week so I will pop into town tomorrow and get the stuff needed.

Big T
29-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Ok dude, I will chuck ya some cash as you did give me some bacon and eggs lastweek! Do you wanna do it in the dutch oven?

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Do you wanna do it in the dutch oven?

That will be perfect mate

Big T
29-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Happy days! Been checking out recipies on www.dutchovendude.com. Some awesome stuff on there!

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Here is a nice easy one for you mate. I can't take the credit for it, I found it somewhere on the web ages ago and downloaded it.

Cowboy Beans

Ingredients

2 cups dried red beans

2 cups dried pinto beans

1 large yellow onion, chopped

3 tablespoons garlic, chopped

3 green chile peppers, grilled and diced

3 vine-ripened tomatoes, grilled, seeded and chopped

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

7 quarts water or vegetable stock

1 smoked ham hock

1 teaspoon toasted coriander seed

1 bay leaf

2 whole dried red chile peppers

Salt and pepper, to taste

Soak beans overnight in water to cover, changing water once; drain.

When beans are ready, saute onion, garlic, green chiles and tomatoes in oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add water or stock and ham hock; bring to a boil. Add beans, coriander seed, bay leaf and dried chiles. Continue to boil for 30 minutes, then lower heat, cover and simmer for three to four hours, until beans are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 16 servings.

Big T
29-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Yum! Will try it out soon!:-D

Kernowek Scouser
29-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Can't get hold of the woman at lanner so looks like it's Bigfoot woods! Any idea's for tea? bbq? Pot of chilli?

Did you actually get a hold of the folks at Mid Carvannel Farm fella?

Can't do this weekend, or the next couple ether, but if you keep meeting through September, I should be able to pop along at some point before the weather turns autumnal.

Have a good one.

Atb.

Colin

Big T
29-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Tried ringing her today but no answer! I had a look on Google maps and there doesn't seem to be any woods there!?

Chubbs
29-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Is farm fresh organic bacon and eggs on the menu for Sunday morning.

Big T
29-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Hell yeah!

Big T
30-08-2013, 09:11 AM
No worries Colin, be good to meet ya one day!:)

Kernowek Scouser
30-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Tried ringing her today but no answer! I had a look on Google maps and there doesn't seem to be any woods there!?

No woods as such, so no hammocking, but they were happy for folks to camp on the higher fields, albeit on very exposed conditions (being just east of Carn Brea and at a similar altitude). I know a few folks who camped there in the spring (and had a grand time, finding the owners very welcoming) but since then the bushcraft skills site they had has been taken down, my enquires have been mostly ignored and I've stopped trying.

So fair play to you if you can sort something out.

Another potential site that might be of interest to both you and Neil is Netley Farm (http://www.realcampingcornwall.co.uk/), just outside Porkellis (about half way between Helston and Cambourne). I stumbled on the place on one of my wanders and if memory serves correctly, there are more woody bits the Mid Cavennel, but probably not enough to go hammocking in numbers.

Anyway, enjoy your overnighter tomorrow and hopefully, I'll get a chance to pop along and join you both in the not too distant future.

Atb.

Colin

Big T
30-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Cheers for the info, not sure if you can have a fire there, will pop down there anytime as its only bout 2 miles from me!

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi guys!

Late notice I know and obviously if its ok with you guys but SWMBO is saying I can join.. Any details I a get through Pm etc?! I've been trying to get away for a night for months!!

Big T
31-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Hiya mate! No worries, the more the merrier! I'm planning on getting there about 2pm, do you know where woodland valley farm is!?

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Not a clue! I'm in N Devon so an hour or 2 but not far, just an enquiry as SWMBO has a habit of changing her mind quite rapid like! I shall do my best though!

Big T
31-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Gd lad! If you have a Sat nav it's quite easy to find, the postcode etc are on their website - www.woodlandvalleyfarm.co.uk. It's a real nice place, can park close to the woods so not too far to carry your kit! Think we are having a big pot of chilli tonight, ure more than welcome to have your fill if ya want!

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Awesome! If I can do I need to bring anything?

Big T
31-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Not really mate, just your sleeping gear, some beer if you wanna smash a few in and 5 quid to pay the landowner in the morning!:-D

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Sounds good! What time is everyone meeting? Are there any site specific rules? What kind of things will be practiced? Most of my kit had been deployed on ship somewhere in the Med but I'm sure I can scrape together a nights worth or even do survival type bush crafting :)

A few questions sorry new to doing this outside the military!

Chubbs
31-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Sounds good! What time is everyone meeting? Are there any site specific rules? What kind of things will be practiced? Most of my kit had been deployed on ship somewhere in the Med but I'm sure I can scrape together a nights worth or even do survival type bush crafting :)

A few questions sorry new to doing this outside the military!

I can sort you out with a tent and sleeping bag if needed mate

Big T
31-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Im gonna try and get there for around 2ish, not usre when neil (chubbs) is getting there. They are very relaxed with reguards to rules there, you can do pretty much what you like as long as you dont damage the woods! We normally get a fire going and chillout havin a chat, few beers, cook dinner, few more beers, maybe some spoom carving etc......! I might take my air rifle and my catapult to do a little shooting (its only an old thing so just tin cans etc for a bit of fun) If you dont have a tarp and hammock or a tent i will see if we can get one sorted for ya. Basically its just boys messing around in the woods!

Big T
31-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Beat me to it neil! lol!

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Cool so shooting is a go? I need to re-zero but my air rifle needs an outing! Just trying to source some kit now, pretty sure my Hennessy has been sent forward, should have my poncho etc though so I can improvise!

Big T
31-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah mate, its fine! I need to zero mine in too, mind you its only an old relum so prob wont make much differance to accuracy! lol!

Chubbs
31-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I will bring along some extra kit just in case.

Just need to get my backside into gear instead of sat here with boxers and a tshirt on !!. More coffee first though, not been up long.

Big T
31-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Tell me bout it mate, I gotta go and price up a job, pick up some gear from me mates, sort me truck out, finnish packing and then finally get me ass up to ladock........and im still sitting here supping coffee..........!

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Lol! I can bring targets and holder if you want? I'll try and get there at a similar time but maybe slightly later. Hope my new Handline turns up before I leave!

Big T
31-08-2013, 09:06 AM
sweet, that would be good! No worries if your later mate, we kind of ignore time once were in the woods! Be good to meet ya!

Ferrell freddy
31-08-2013, 09:31 AM
You too! Is the site easy to find once I get to the farm? Is there mobile reception? Again sorry for all the questions!

Chubbs
31-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Once you turn onto the farm track follow it down until you see a sign on a post for Woodland Valley. Take a left and follow round until you come to the main farm. Facing the main barn take a right up the track about 50 yards and turn left into the woods. We will be at the end, about 100 feet away. Any problems phone me, I will pm you my number.

Neil

jus_young
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
You found the thread then Steve. Hope you enjoyed your night out. This is one place I do try and get too every now and then so I will give you a shout next time round and we can double up.

Ferrell freddy
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Had a great time cheers guys! Definitely have to find that pond next time and also when it's quieter for a spot of hunting! Now to find some fence pins for a tripod!

Big T
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
No worries mate! Will have a wander next time and find the infamous pond! Glad you had a good time, were not die hard bushcrafters but just enjoy time in the woods! Good luck hunting for the fence pins, if you cant find any(;) ) then they sell them in most builders merchants! Take care mate, catch up again sometime soon!:)

Ferrell freddy
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Cheers matey!

Yeah sounds good Jus, I'd like to do a 2 nighter at some point too.

Big T
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
No worries dude! I'm up for a camp anytime, just let me know when your free!:-D

jus_young
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
The pond is a couple of fields away, lovely spot but a little muddy round the edges.

Chubbs
01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the great night guys, even though I had to leave the comfort of my hammock in my softie kit and thermal socks for a few hours with a cold daughter on the floor of a tent !!. I must take her again soon as she is already in bed sparko !!.

Big T
02-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Beccy sparko........dont believe ya! Was a good night, chilli was awesome mate! As always im up for another camp whenever your free mate, i will try and chase up the falmouth site and the one down the road from me and maybe try one of them sometime!? Hope you back dosent take too long to recover mate.