PDA

View Full Version : Tarp A, Tarp B?

GaryBeaner
23-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I've been given permission by my good lady to buy a tarp for my Birthday prezzie. I have to give reasons as to why I want 'said purchase', and give reasons as to why it's better than the £10 one from Wickes. I want a 3x3, that much I know, with the two main contenders being DD and Tatonka. I think I'm right in saying the Tatonka is heavier but more hardwearing, but I think less eyelets?:confused2: Any advice would be lovely.

Ps,
I've got about a month and a half till my Birthday!

Fletching
23-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Girlfriend B. ;)

GaryBeaner
23-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I asked Mrs A about B and she said if there was a B I'd need a tarp well before my Birthday!

Fletching
23-01-2011, 11:00 PM
You have my permission either way! ;)

I've a Tatonka, never tried a DD (though their hammocks are good). I think the Tatonka's a good quality product and there's enough eyelets to erect in loads of configurations.

Just an opinion - anyone else tried the DD tarp?

GaryBeaner
23-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Would you say the Tatonka warrants the extra money?

Shewie
23-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Tatonka polycotton :)

Fletching
23-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Would you say the Tatonka warrants the extra money?

Like I said, never tried the DD, but I always read reviews (BCUK = good) and I always go for the highest quality I can find -which probably goes against a lot of people's "I can make that myself" philosophy (I try when I'm able to). I've always been taught the old motto of 'you get what you pay for'.

Tatonka for me. But we still haven't heard from any DD tarp evangelists...

Steve

Martin
24-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I have the DD 3m x 3m tarp, so does Matt. Ashley and Scott have the Tatonka. I have never been wet sleeping under mine. I've set it up as a wind break when we did a spit roast pork joint a year or so ago. I've set it up several times in a tent configuration. It's lightweight (relatively), waterproof, packs away nice and small and seems to be perfect for the job. Ashley and Scott are very happy with their Tatonkas I'm sure.

If you are just starting out and want to buy loads of kit and are on a budget, I would say go for the DD as it will leave you a few more quid to buy something else, on the other hand, if you want kit that is that little bit more Gucci then go for the Tatonka. Both do the same job, but one will make you feel just that little bit more smug. ;)

Having said all that, we have used large builders tarps for group shelters on many occasions and they haven't let us down yet.

Martin

chris grace
24-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I have had all the above tarps and the one I preferred was always the tatonka polycotton one.The only reason I sold it was because I 've gone all lightweight.
The tatonka has been repaired numerous times where embers have fallen on it,blown 200yards through gorse and still not had a mark from that.It has never had any condensation and never leaked or torn despite lots of abuse.
If you want a hardwearing.long lasting tarp go for the tatonka every time,the main benefit is no matter how much damage you do to it all you need to repair it is a needle,cotton and some seam sealer.It will last for years.

Scott
24-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Like Martin said i have the tatonka 3x3 tarp, it doesn't have as many eyelets as the DD but ive never had any issues setting it up. It is a bit heavier but when im using it i feel like i can throw it around and not worry about causing any damage. Plus it's made of pollycotton which can take the heat and sparks from the fire (to a point).

IBrown
25-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I am convinced and bought a DD 3x3 today

Martin
25-01-2011, 07:39 PM
You know it makes sense. :)

Martin

Alba Albion
23-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I have a DD 3 x 3 mtr Tarp. It's brill. Loads of space, light, good price £30. Is now a standard bit of my kit.

MikeWilkinson
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I have a DD 3x3 tarp. Excellent pieces of kit, the additional loops make it a very versitile tarp, you can pretty much rig it in every setup I know, Brew wedge, lean to, hammock, mini tipi, storm bivi, diamond fly, one man survival, etc...

I'm tempted for the additional weight to go for the larger 3x4.5 version for that extra bit of room.

So excellent product, excellent quality and excellent price.

Ben Casey
07-03-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a DD 3x3 tarp. Excellent pieces of kit, the additional loops make it a very versitile tarp, you can pretty much rig it in every setup I know, Brew wedge, lean to, hammock, mini tipi, storm bivi, diamond fly, one man survival, etc...

I'm tempted for the additional weight to go for the larger 3x4.5 version for that extra bit of room.

So excellent product, excellent quality and excellent price.

Hi I have the larger 3x4.5 and think it is great I have even managed to get it packed down into a water bottle holder :)

comanighttrain
07-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi I have the larger 3x4.5 and think it is great I have even managed to get it packed down into a water bottle holder :)

that some hard core packin right there....

Ben Casey
07-03-2011, 09:39 AM
that some hard core packin right there....

It took sometime but I got there in the end and it was in the house I need to see if I can get it in when I'm out and about could be hard but it should work if I do it right :)

beechnut mick
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
i think the tatonka 3x3 is bigger than the DD 3x3 so you get more for your money.hope this helps.

Martin
07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
i think the tatonka 3x3 is bigger than the DD 3x3 so you get more for your money.hope this helps.

You mean they both don't measure 3m x 3m ???

Martin

beechnut mick
08-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Don't mind me Mart,I have sense of humour issues,normaly resolved by a short sharp slap to the back of my head.

IBrown
08-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Don't mind me Mart,I have sense of humour issues,normaly resolved by a short sharp slap to the back of my head.

I was wondering how you would explain that one lol..

chris grace
08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
The tatonka 3x3 tarp is actually 2.85mx2,85m so it's a bit smaller and heavier and quite a bit more expensive.But it is still much better than the DDtarp.

Martin
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM

;)

Martin