PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Martin
23-01-2011, 07:04 PM
How many times have you brought a new purchase home, or opened the latest packet from your favourite online retailer only to be slapped down by the wife, or whoever, with that classic phrase 'What have you bought now?' Alternatively, if you don't have a wife and you just want to share your excitement with someone who gives a monkeys about it then this is the place for you.

When you buy a new piece of kit, whatever it is why not tell us all about it here? Why you bought it? What it does? How much of a bargain it was or, something you'd never tell the wife, why it wasn't a bargain but you had to have it anyway.

Over to you guys. What you bought today?

Martin

Ben Casey
23-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I just got a DDTarp XL then I read the Forum and thought oppss its a bit big :)

JEEP
23-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Optimus NOVA+ w. both 0.6 and 1.0 fuel bottles

Already considering an Optimus Svea 123R, just becuse it is so retro awesome - and quite shiny aswell :)

Maria doesn't mind me buying loads of gear, as long as she get's to play with it aswell.

Martin
23-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I got my 12cm Zebra Billy as well as eight Exped dry bags in various sizes and colours. I'm particularly pleased with the dry bags as the largest size takes my Snugpak Elite 4 sleeping bag. Will be able to organise my pack so much better now with everything sorted into separate bags which will save me rumaging around in the bottom of a black rucksack liner in future.

Martin

mark
23-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Crusader Cooking System + free extras & Issue Osprey Bottle. Happy with water bottle and two cups but stove part, its a bit,bit well rubbish. comes with a nice big pouch. I know i can do something with the pouch but what ?

Fletching
23-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Barbour Tyne Crew Neck Sweater. Wanted one for ages. And it's still cold.

comanighttrain
23-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Flask, pans and socks....

Jethro
24-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Well I bit the bullet and treated myself to late Christmas present of Granfors Bruks Scandanavian Forest Axe, beautiful :), Bahco Laplander Saw, crusader cooker (hope it's not as bad as Mark says!) and a new Norgie cos I found a shop that sold a fat barsteward sized one at last :) :)

paul standley
24-01-2011, 02:47 PM
a little Indian Tiffin Tin (3 tier) - pretty nifty actually - was tempted into it after Steve's recent purchase of same.

My Wife said "Haven't you got enought pots/pans...etc already ?"

Ah yes I said... but this is different...!

I don't think she really bought that excuse but anyway I changed the subject and I think I got away with it.

Bought a 500gram/sq. mtr poly filled sleeping bag cheap in the Argos end of..end of sale (assuming it's 3 season but it doesn't say) 2 days previously and a similar dialogue ensued with my wife...!

Paul.

Fletching
24-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Barbour Tyne Crew Neck Sweater. Wanted one for ages. And it's still cold.

...just got a call from Barbour about my order...no stock until at least April!!! :(

...won't be needing it then (hopefully).

Steve

Shewie
24-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Just this morning I opened a package with 2x1L water bladders, she said what do you need those for you've already got a 2L one.

She's right but she doesn't understand

Fletching
24-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Just this morning I opened a package with 2x1L water bladders, she said what do you need those for you've already got a 2L one.

You can never have too much water capacity. ;)

Martin
24-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Pace Beads and two Coolmax olive green tee shirts from Endicotts (probably the best army surplus shop in the world). :)

Martin

Martin
24-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Exactly what this thread is for. ;)

Martin

Realbark
24-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Just ordered ANOTHER tatonka burner. I have one in my daypack but wanted another for my SAT kit. Havent told er indoors tho it wont break the bank :ashamed:

JEEP
24-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I took the plunge and ordered the Optimus Svea 123R today. I just couldn't resist it's steampunk awesomeness :ashamed:

Fletching
24-01-2011, 07:09 PM
I took the plunge and ordered the Optimus Svea 123R today. I just couldn't resist it's steampunk awesomeness :ashamed:

Ooh, that looks really shiny!

JEEP
24-01-2011, 07:12 PM
It does, doesn't it :D

I am really looking forward to getting it, even though Optimus has started making them once again, they are still not at all easy to get your hands on.

I think it will just fit inside a 14 cm Zebra billy can.

Jethro
24-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Last edited by Martin; Today at 07:56 AM. Reason: Swearing

Sorry Martin. my bad

Martin
24-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Last edited by Martin; Today at 07:56 AM. Reason: Swearing

Sorry Martin. my bad

Don't mention it Jethro. Family game and all that. :)

Martin

CanadianMike
24-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I bought a Martindale number 2 golok last week from eBay, no idea when it'll show up. Bought it because it'll cost me twice as much as the $32 I paid for it to buy the steel, and likely cost me at least $50 to $100 to build a forge to handle a 10" blade. Wanted a large knife for chopping where its unsafe or impractical to use my axe. So, can you tell I justified buying one? Lol

klause
24-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I've just bought a 'Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe' - dont know what the misses will say, bit too late now isnt it ?

CanadianMike
24-01-2011, 11:47 PM
I've just bought a 'Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe' - dont know what the misses will say, bit too late now isnt it ?

As long as she doesn't quote the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer"........ :D

klause
24-01-2011, 11:59 PM
As long as she doesn't quote the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer"........ :D

Might become one if she does ! haha...

CanadianMike
25-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Might become one if she does ! haha...

No comment...... Lol

mahikan
25-01-2011, 03:14 PM
On my recent trip back to the homeland, good old Blighty, visited a 'Rohan' shop near Oxford and bought a 'Norwegian' woollen pullover. Love it!

Realbark
25-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Well i havent actually bought them - but my missus has got me half a dozen catering size tins from her work to play with re making more stoves. So a variety of useable (and unuseable) hobo styles will be forthcoming!

Paul Webster
27-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Bought a crusader mess tin from the t'internet today. Looks pretty nifty, mainly got it for the pan/frying pan combo

IBrown
27-01-2011, 08:14 PM
How many times have you brought a new purchase home, or opened the latest packet from your favourite online retailer only to be slapped down by the wife, or whoever, with that classic phrase 'What have you bought now?' Alternatively, if you don't have a wife and you just want to share your excitement with someone who gives a monkeys about it then this is the place for you.

When you buy a new piece of kit, whatever it is why not tell us all about it here? Why you bought it? What it does? How much of a bargain it was or, something you'd never tell the wife, why it wasn't a bargain but you had to have it anyway.

Over to you guys. What you bought today?

Martin

Do what i do.. Take the Wife with you, leave your wallet at home and get her to pay.

IBrown
27-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry i forgot to add.. Tell her SHE made the best choice

JEEP
28-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Just got a Helle Viking knife (more medieval than viking actually), for my re-enactment kit - aswell as a German Helko Werk Classic Line Meisterstück (masterpiece) 1100g axe.

Helko axes are quite cheap. This one goes for around D.Kr. 349,- w. forged head and hickory handle, it is looking quite good aswell as having a nice weight and balance to it. The edge needs a bit of work though. The included leather edge protector is very basic, w. a tacky velcro closing, but it does the job allright.

Helko makes a really nice 500g hatchet for around D.Kr. 199,- w. forged head and ash handle. I have bought a few of those for the store.

Ben Casey
28-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Ive just oredered some Army rations and the old type Clasp knife the tin opener on it is brill :)

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 06:04 AM
A Kelly Kettle: I've wanted one for ages
My only critisism is that they are quite fragile and dent very easily. Working in woodlands and things need to be fairly robust so now I handle the thing like it's rotten eggs
They do light and boil as well as any of the YouTube demos show; nice to get something that lives up to its hype. They're just a bit too bulky for backpacking though.
I got mine from Lakeland Bushcraft. They sometimes have "returns" so if you want one it's worth asking

Fletching
31-01-2011, 07:43 AM
A Kelly Kettle...

See also the M-Kettle. More pricey but much more packable:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?410-Kelly-Kettle-and-M-Kettle-Comparison

Steve

JEEP
31-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Yesterday:

Found an abandoned Hultafors axe (a size larger than the one I already have) at the Brigsted campsite. Quite new, but with a badly chipped edge. From the rust on the head, I would say it had been there for a few days. Probably forgotten by the same group of scouts(?), that had left the campsite littered with pieces of string (tied into a variety of knots) and a number of black spots from lighting small fires all over the place, even a couple only a few meters from the wooden shelter!! There is a nice large firepit with benches around it, at the campsite, the only place where you are allowed to light a fire, there is even a sign informing you that!!
I have decided to fix the axe up and either donate it to my own scout group or keep it as a spare - I know that is technically stealing, but having seen how these people have treated our favourite campsite, I have a hard time feeling bad about it really.

Today:

Petzl Tikka XP2 Core - needed a serious gadget fix

16 cm. classic Müller's Water Grindstone - about time I got myself a good larger "fine" stone

JEEP
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Two UCO candle lanterns. Neat stuff!

Martin
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Right!!!

1. Emergency Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy.
2. Blizzard Bag
3. 2L Platypus Water Pouch
4. Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS/Heart Monitor
5. Aldi Spotting Scope

Not bad for the first week in February but I must admit, I did ask permission to buy the Garmin. ;)

Martin

IBrown
04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Bought 2x army thermal bottoms and 2x army thermal tops for me and the missus from my Army Surplus guy on the market. Paid £15 for the lot. Getting ready for the Cornwall RV.

Paul Webster
04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Two UCO candle lanterns. Neat stuff!

I saw that they have a new micro version. It takes tea lights and collapses the same as it's big brother but I can't find anywhere that sells them yet

Fletching
04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Some bright spark suggested I go look at the British Blades forum.

I was brainwashed into pre-ordering one of these:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5415275135_14d7234982_b.jpg

...like I needed one, huh? :ashamed:

p.s. Got a bit of an addiction problem with Hennie Haines at the moment.

JEEP
04-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I saw that they have a new micro version. It takes tea lights and collapses the same as it's big brother but I can't find anywhere that sells them yet

I think i can help you. Shoot me a PM.

Matt
05-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Was this what you were looking for Paul? http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product318.asp?PageID=66

Regards, Matt.

JEEP
05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
There is a new version, not yet shown on the UCO website (which haven't updated since 2005 aparently): A collapsible tea light lantern, with room for a spare tea light in the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWUW8yfbZn8&feature=player_detailpage

Paul Webster
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
What jakob said ;)

Ivan
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh no what have i done, went to exeter today shopping foolishly took my 11 year old daughter along ,millets, the moorland rambler,taunton leisure and endicotts. i came away with nothing she got all sorts of bits and pieces, her mother said its all my own fault.one very happy little girl, she cant wait to get out there ,last summer it was just camping not now,thanks a bunch natural bushcraft......only kidding i think its brill

Paul Webster
05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I went shopping at endicotts today too, albeit over the phone. New jacket, day sack and a millbank bag.

Ivan
05-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Paul i got a millbank bag. thanks to Matt i was impressed with that on the dartmoor walk weekend

Fletching
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Maxpedition Bag Rolly Poly Bag. Sooooo many uses! And attaches to my Sabre really easily (or a belt for kindling/water/possibles etc.).

Steve

Roadkillphil
08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Just spotted this thread. Last week the postman delivered my new Mora 510. Its my first real bushcraft knife. The knife I've used for all my camping/fishing needs for years is too big, too heavy and although it has a keen edge, its a pain in the ass to use. The 510 only cost £12. Its really comfortable in the hand. It's a pleasure to use.... All of these explanations were greeted with the silent (do you really need it?) look of suspicion. However, if we change the subject to 'how many rugs does one horse really need' a £12 knife that will help me open lots of metaphorical doors becomes insignificant!! And suspicion turns to approval. :D

Top tip... if you never ever want your purchases questioned, get her a horse! :wink:

Paul Webster
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Arktis smock, highlander 25 ltr daysack and a millbank bag. I must be blessed swmbo never blinks an eye at any of my purchases!

Matt
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Top tip... if you never ever want your purchases questioned, get her a horse! :wink:

Lmao :D, seconded :wink:

aman
08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes. I have just bought my first proper knife (ie not a pen knife or multi tool) and I think my wife was a little shocked.

She dealt with it fine but I think she thinks I'm going feral.

JEEP
09-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Just got a package from Woodlore:

Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival Series one and two DVD
Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, signed by Ray
Ray Mears firesteel
Two Ray Mears Fox 40 safety whistles

Yeah, just put me on the fanboy list.... :p

JEEP
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Oooh... Today is a good day!

Just got a package from my favourite supplier at the store:

Optimus NOVA+
Optimus Svea 123R (SHINY!)
Optimus 0,6 L fuel bottle
Optimus 1,0 L fuel bottle
Optimus small repair kit for NOVA+
2 x US Army issue foldable can openers

Fletching
09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
2x US issue Decon boxes.

Bullet-proof containers for small bits of kit/tinder etc. I tried to get some from Endicotts but they didn't have any and said supply was erratic, but I managed to get a couple (after lots of searching) from:

http://baseoftree.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=307

as they use them for geocaching. Not cheap, but they should last forever.

Ivan
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Whoopee ive got my 1977 opinel knife back,had to pay 30 quid for it and its in a bit of a state, but i am over the moon .parents bought it back from france for me ,anybody know what number it is would be grateful . its 11 inches long closed and 20 inches long open. wish i was clever enough to post photos

oktrailstomper
09-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Greetings all from the States,

I just joined the site today after viewing several outstanding videos. Paul or Steve, would you be so kind as to send me a link to where I might buy a Tiffin Tin?

Thank you,

Paul Webster
09-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi, did you mean me?? First on a google search was this sitewww.lunchboxes.com (http://www.lunchboxes.com/india.html)

oktrailstomper
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey!! That's it !! Thanks Paul. It looks like a fine lunch kit.

Paul Webster
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
No problem, and welcome! It was steve that spotted these awesome tiffin kits. I think he has a connection with a local supplier :)

JEEP
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Totally forgot:

A Trangia adapter for installing the Optimus NOVA+ in my Trangia. Not that I am planning to do that, buy it is a nice option to have
A Zippo Emergency Fire Starter - a free sample dropped off by one of our suppliers

Fletching
10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Blizzard Survival Bag and a couple more small Exped dry bags.

robin
10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Quick Drying Hand Towel, Honey Stove (am loving this), Mil-Com Bivvy Bag (because my Pro-Force Kestrel was terrible for condensation), Folding Grill and a new 3mx3m DD Tarp as an over-enthusiastic dog jumped on mine and ripped it.

Matt
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Today I too succumbed to the lure of the honey stove, couldn't wait until my birthday because I wanted it NOW!:ashamed: Ordered today, hoping to get it nicely unshiny at the weekend.

Matt.

Paul Webster
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Matt, I liked the Whitebox stove you showed me so I ordered one from backpacking light. Got delivered today, very nice bit of kit!

Martin
10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I should have a Honey Stove on the way. ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
10-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Today I too succumbed to the lure of the honey stove, couldn't wait until my birthday because I wanted it NOW!:ashamed: Ordered today, hoping to get it nicely unshiny at the weekend.

Matt.

This kinda thing may happen to me with the Svord Peasant knife.... Its on my birthday list, but thats in May... Its a lifetime away!! I too Need (not want!) it now :o

Matt
10-02-2011, 09:34 PM
This kinda thing may happen to me with the Svord Peasant knife.... Its on my birthday list, but thats in May... Its a lifetime away!! I too Need (not want!) it now :o

And it doesn't cost as much as a rug ;)

Fletching
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Looks like Matt's started a Svord fan club here!

When you get it Phil, it may look a bit rough but take it apart and work on the blade with coarse, medium then fine grit paper, then give it a good hour's worth each side on a wet-stone (mine's a 1000 Japanese job). It will look a dull grey at this point. Then put some Autosol (or Brasso, but Autosol's better) and give each side a good rubbing with a Scotchbrite pad - you'll get a mirror finish. Sand down the wood as it's a bit too 'squared' and you'll have a real beauty! I'm actually sourcing some antler or exotic wood to replace the original. Feels really nice in the hand. And, in my opinion, May's much to far away. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but this worked for me and I love this little knife now! :)

Roadkillphil
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
And it doesn't cost as much as a rug ;)

Extremely valid point! After having a look at yours and watching Justins review and the price too, I'm sold :D

Even if I only bought a knife last week :ashamed:

Roadkillphil
10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Looks like Matt's started a Svord fan club here!

When you get it Phil, it may look a bit rough but take it apart and work on the blade with coarse, medium then fine grit paper, then give it a good hour's worth each side on a wet-stone (mine's a 1000 Japanese job). It will look a dull grey at this point. Then put some Autosol (or Brasso, but Autosol's better) and give each side a good rubbing with a Scotchbrite pad - you'll get a mirror finish. Sand down the wood as it's a bit too 'squared' and you'll have a real beauty! I'm actually sourcing some antler or exotic wood to replace the original. Feels really nice in the hand. And, in my opinion, May's much to far away. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but this worked for me and I love this little knife now! :)

Cheers Steve,

No eggs being sucked, I'm a bit of a newb to knife care.

This is such an aptly named thread, when it turns up, or worse, the post office collection note arrives, i will be given the " What have you bought now" eyes. :rolleye:

Fletching
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
...I will be given the " What have you bought now" eyes. :rolleye:

My local postie actually starts on the other side of the road for deliveries but makes a detour across the road to 'drop off as you're always getting something (lessen her load)'! :)

Matt
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
What can I say, from ordering my honey stove to making my first brew with it, in less than 24 hours, now that's service. Awsome piece of kit too :).

Matt

Realbark
11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Just ordered a 33l pro-force daypack and a one-off leather sheath for my laplander.

Martin
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I love this thread. It's like AA (not the breakdown company :rolleyes: ) for bushcrafters. :)

Martin

Fletching
11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello. My name's Steve and I am now a Fjällräven Hunter Jacket and DD Poncho owner. :)

Martin
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi Steve, we share your pain brother. The DD Poncho is a lovely, multiuse item. :)

Martin

Paul Webster
11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Had a splurge in millets today, bogof on socks, £10 off a petzl e light and a wooly hat for my daughter

Martin
11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Had a splurge in millets today, bogof on socks, £10 off a petzl e light and a wooly hat for my daughter

Which, as we all know, makes the rest of the purchases totally justified. :rolleyes:

Martin

Paul Webster
11-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Sshhh, swmbo hasn't clicked onto that yet!

comanighttrain
11-02-2011, 08:21 PM
*cough*alpkitskyhigh1000newtentandcookkit*clears throat*

Roadkillphil
11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
£10 off a petzl e light

e lites rule, I have 2!! not sure why tho :confused:

Fletching
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
*cough*alpkitskyhigh1000newtentandcookkit*clears throat*

Here's a Strepsil...more juicy details please! ;)

Roadkillphil
12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
3 new crayfish/crab/fish traps from http://www.ronniesunshines.com/ rocked up on my doorstep this morning. Noice. Best get my Bo-It seaworthy for dropping these badboys in a secret sheltered cove nearby :D

JEEP
12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
A pair of Tretorn Sarek Touring wellies and a pair of Smartwool Moutainering Extra Heavy Cushion socks.

Paul Webster
13-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Oo forgot to post this earlier in the week...snugpak uq, large techlok, peanut lighter, uco mini and...nope, that's it

Ken
14-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Greetings

I can't help adding to my kit!

Last night I purchased - ARKTIS 9061 HUMP RESERVOIR IN BRITISH DPM (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260734676012)

and a couple of Web-Tex 3 Piece DPM STOW BAG SETs as well...

I do need these things.. :)

Fletching
14-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I do need these things.. :)

You DO need them, we understand. ....Arktis - good price mate. :)

Fletching
14-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I also think we need a 'What Have You Been Given at a Ridiculously Low Price From a Supplier' thread just for Jakob. ;)

leon-1
14-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I just received a Rough Rider Whittler in the post. I shall thank my brother later tonight :) I also received bookmarks which have BSL, Morse, Semaphore and Braille alphabets on them. Oh and there was an Eric Frosts 105 not that long ago and another Axe Puck.

There maybe a new watch coming soon as my old one is no longer waterproof.

robin
14-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Sea-To-Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack - Large, think I'm going to have to buy the medium though as it turns out to be larger than I thought. Great dry sack and really does compress my sleeping bag to a good size. Still trying to persuade myself to part with the money for a Alpkit Skyehigh sleeping bag seeing as they are back in stock.

comanighttrain
14-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Here's a Strepsil...more juicy details please! ;)

cheers!

hehe,

I got the alpkit skyhigh 1000 - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16322. No more cold camps.

Vango Vitesse 200 - http://www.vango.co.uk/force-ten/vitesse-200.html

and a coleman cook set http://www.tauntonleisure.com/family-cook-set/p5235

I did legitimately need the cook set after the cheapy one I got literally caught fire (yes, a pan caught fire)

JEEP
14-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I did legitimately need the cook set after the cheapy one I got literally caught fire (yes, a pan caught fire)

Sounds nasty :eek:

Which set was that?

comanighttrain
14-02-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=172041 - this one I think. I was cooking using a hexamine block cooker so at first I just thought that the fuel was stuck on the pan...but no when I washed it (it wasn't on fire enough to be self sustaining) most of the coating was blistered and peeled off... Handle was burning in a self sustaining manner...cheap and nasty lads....

JEEP
14-02-2011, 04:14 PM
That is the Fire-Maple cookset, I have one of these myself. I have used it a lot, and I have never had that problem. The "coating" is actually metal anodized into the aluminium, that shouldn't be able to burn at all.

The coating on the handles, however, can burn :)

aman
14-02-2011, 05:11 PM
A grain mill and 33kg of wheat

CanadianMike
14-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I just ordered a Casio Fishing Gear Watch, looks great, many useful functions, but what's coolest, it tracks moon phases and lets you know what fishing conditions are like on a scale of 1 to 5 lil' fishies. Hey, if it works, cool, if it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, the fact it takes a temperature reading every two mins and displays/records it is pretty cool.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Sports/AQW101_Series/product/AQW101-1AV/

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/aqw101-1av_xlarge.jpg

Fletching
15-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Fjällräven Torneträsk Fleece.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5446871838_e96dcdef93.jpg

My girlfriend's already nicked it off me saying it's like being wrapped in a teddy bear. I am currently chasing her round the house...not easy with stitches (...and she knows it!).

***Update*** - This is after I spent a fortune on 'Valentine's Day'.

CanadianMike
15-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Next time buy something made of wool, best way to keep it from being 'nicked'. :)

Fletching
15-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Next time buy something made of wool, best way to keep it from being 'nicked'. :)

Got loads of wool fleecy type layers, but wanted this one for the comfort factor!

CanadianMike
15-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Got loads of wool fleecy type layers, but wanted this one for the comfort factor!

Awww, muffin, and you lost it already. Lol, lesson learned maybe? ;)

Fletching
15-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Awww, muffin, and you lost it already. Lol, lesson learned maybe? ;)

She still doesn't know it, but when the custom barrel knife bill comes in, she's outta here...

comanighttrain
15-02-2011, 07:59 AM
That is the Fire-Maple cookset, I have one of these myself. I have used it a lot, and I have never had that problem. The "coating" is actually metal anodized into the aluminium, that shouldn't be able to burn at all.

The coating on the handles, however, can burn :)

You positive it's the same one? This thing was literally burned... maybe should have got a picture before i binned it

JEEP
15-02-2011, 09:05 AM
One can never be 100% sure, they look identical. But, thinking it over, it can't be the same really.

I have used mine on top of my Optimus Svea 123R, if the anodization could burn, it would have then.

comanighttrain
15-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't think so...they look identical but the fire-maple set is like £24 and this was £12... I would guess that this thing was a cheap copy maybe?

JEEP
15-02-2011, 10:45 AM
That could be. A cheap copy of a cheap Chinese product - sounds about a right for a cooking pot with a flammable coating :D

GlenM
15-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Good to see all you gear junky's languishing deep in the bad murky world of kit habits!.....anyone ever stuff the packaging under the bed with total excitement only to forget it's there???
The reminder in my case came the next time she hoovered!!!

Damm,

Glen

leon-1
15-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Well a new watch is coming, the old one has sentimental value, but if it gets wet it'll pack up (this is due to a mistake made by a jeweller when they changed the battery so I was informed by the horologist that changed the battery last). The other watches that I have aren't really outdoors type watches is how I've justified it. :D

JEEP
15-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Yesterday:
A package from Leave No Trace, Center for Outdoor Ethics,US;
Annette McGivney; Backpacker, Leave No Trace
A few LNT pamphlets
Two iron on LNT patches
Two LNT lapel pins

Today:
Two Savagear Lure Box no. 2
Two Savagera Lure Box no. 3
(I don't fish, but these boxes are great for keeping stock of all the bits and bobs when out and about)

Fletching
15-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Boy, we are a hungry lot. Methinks I'll open a store up! ;)

Ben Casey
15-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Any spares my way please LOL

Martin
15-02-2011, 06:56 PM
New guy lines for my tent. 15m of bright yellow Dyneema and mini line locks from Backpackinglight.co.uk. She really gave me 'the look' when I openend that lot. :D

Martin

Martin
16-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Exped Air Pillow. :ashamed:

Martin

Ben Casey
16-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I could not sleep last night so I ordered
10 X Carabiner Karabiner 60mm Galvanised Spring Clip New
2 X 4" STEEL KARABINER
1 X Highlander 4-5 Season Nato Foam Sleeping Camping Mat
:)

resnikov
16-02-2011, 09:49 AM
200 feet of amsteel to make whoopie slings & continuous loops and replace my ridge line.

JEEP
16-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Exped Air Pillow. :ashamed:

Martin

:evilgrin:

comanighttrain
16-02-2011, 02:27 PM
haha, the mrs is getting me this bothy shelter as my valentines day present!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmates-2-3-person-equipment-emergency-shelter-p108828

RobbC
16-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Bought a pair of trespass gaitors today, il hopefully get to test them at the weekend.

Robb

GlenM
17-02-2011, 08:42 PM
2ft 6" canoe/kayak fishing rod with Abu Garcia thumbcast reel, got it for the wife for her Valentines present....low and behold she dont like it !

Guess I'll have to find a use for it somewhere, hate seeing things go to waste.

Glen

RobbC
18-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Got a wax jacket from Hoggs of Fife for walking my dog in the country today.

Robb

Fletching
18-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Schott fleece-lined cotton camo jacket with integral hood from 2nd hand shop for a tenner. A couple of hours with a block of beeswax and a hairdryer and I've got a homemade 'Barbour'.

Ben Casey
19-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Canned butter Ghee from Tescos with plastic resealable lid :)

comanighttrain
19-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Saw and sanding paper

IBrown
19-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Went to Cornwall for a couple of days and visited The Bunker Warehouse in Wadebridge and bought 2 Austrian Army 100% pure wool jumpers one for me and one for the wife for £15 each and a Goretex Jacket for £35.00 Lovely people very helpful. Then went to Trago Mills on the way home to buy Meths as on the forum it is reported to be the cheapest. They weren't wrong, I bought 3 x 2lt Bottles @ £3.39 each. In buckinghamshire I am paying £2.99 for 500ml of same company. Many thanks to all who suggested Trago Mills saved me a fortune.

robin
19-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Icebreaker Oasis Crew merino base layer for £34.99 with free delivery, cheapest I could find online.

Roadkillphil
19-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Then went to Trago Mills on the way home to buy Meths as on the forum it is reported to be the cheapest. They weren't wrong, I bought 3 x 2lt Bottles @ £3.39 each. In buckinghamshire I am paying £2.99 for 500ml of same company. Many thanks to all who suggested Trago Mills saved me a fortune.

"Nobody beats Traaaaago Mills, nobody beats Trago Mills"!
Blinding place proper hobo shopping! I was there yesterday buying calico and tar paint for my coracle. Most stuff is good value there, however, some stuff is just cheap kak. Good tip on the meths tho, wish I'd picked some up while I was there.

IBrown
19-02-2011, 09:29 PM
"Nobody beats Traaaaago Mills, nobody beats Trago Mills"!
Blinding place proper hobo shopping! I was there yesterday buying calico and tar paint for my coracle. Most stuff is good value there, however, some stuff is just cheap kak. Good tip on the meths tho, wish I'd picked some up while I was there.

You are soooo right Phil, wish we had one nearer. Don't buy all the Meths save some for me, I will be at the Cornwall RV and will make a trip to Trago Mills to buy some more bits and Meths.

glennyb25
20-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Not bought exactly but more of a guided hand for my bday pressies. A light my fire spice box and an Antig Outdoors woodlore - Woodgas Stove.

http://www.antigoutdoors.com/products/antig-outdoors-woodlore-stove

Cheers

Ken
20-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Not bought exactly but more of a guided hand for my bday pressies. A light my fire spice box and an Antig Outdoors woodlore - Woodgas Stove.

http://www.antigoutdoors.com/products/antig-outdoors-woodlore-stove

Cheers

It's the same as the Bushcooker I bought last year. Wood gas stoves are a great bit of kit to own. A handful of twigs and you have some boiled water...

JEEP
20-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Went to Netto and Bazar Vest in Aarhus today, where I picked up two small oriental style aluminium cooking pots with wooden handles for D.Kr. 29 each (£ 3,25) and a chinese stainless steel tea kettle for D.Kr. 50 (£ 5,65).

Great cheap items for a bit of vintage style hiking.

Fletching
20-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I like the look of the pots Jakob, but somehow, I never seem to get on with aluminium (that's aluminum for our over the pond members) pots. Nice and cheap though. :)

JEEP
20-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I usually prefer steel aswell. But, at the price point, I decided to go for them anyway.

I am putting together a set of vintage style hiking gear. A few small pots like these, dangling from the pack together with a kerosene lantern and an enamel mug, are essential items.

I have an original vintage (1950-60) aluminium pot and kettle set on the way btw.

Fletching
20-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, I've had 'em a week and been wearing 'em all week, even over my stitches pad (http://wound.smith-nephew.com/uk/node.asp?NodeId=3467), but my new Fjällräven Greenland Trousers are as comfortable as my old Rohans (which I've had for nine years), and no sign of betty swollocks etc.

Steve

resnikov
20-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Just put in an order for a DD Frontline hammock and tarp for my wife, she has said she will come out camping with me :D

Fletching
20-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Just put in an order for a DD Frontline hammock and tarp for my wife, she has said she will come out camping with me :D

Take some instant hot chocolate powder (real choc. if you can keep it cool enough). ;)

Martin
21-02-2011, 03:09 PM
New boots, Salomon Quest 4d GTX. My Meindl Borneo's are getting a bit too heavy for my poor old legs to keep carting up and down hills so I decided to save 300g per foot with these Goretex lined 3 season boots. We are planning a four peaks challenge (the highest peaks in Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales in less than 48 hours) at the start of June and I really fancied a pair of lighweight boots for that.

Also, a Mountain Equipment 100 Litre wet and dry expedition bag. Should be enough room to fit all my overnight stuff in leaving my rucksack to carry only the stuff I want to take out onto the hill with me.

Not really 'bushcraft' but still great for outdoors types.

Martin

Fletching
21-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Not really a 'bought one' but more of a wishlist thing...Petromax lantern. Proper quality methinks.

http://www.casstrom.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

For basecamps, obviously.

JEEP
25-02-2011, 05:41 PM
A Garmin Dakota 20 - I have discovered that I know way too little about GPS and geocaching. It is not good when most of your customers know more about it than you do :)

The Dakota 20 was recommended to me by the the seller from Garmin Denmark, when I asked for a not too expensive, yet good allround GPS for geocaching.

I don't really know about this geocaching thing, it has never really appealed to me. But, I get asked a lot of questions about it at the store.

I also got a Laksen Serengeti shirt and some weatherproof matches.

Fletching
25-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Just received my 100% GENUINE ISSUE OG PLCE RESPIRATOR POUCH ONLY £3 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360340893107) from fleabay.

Good condition.

resnikov
25-02-2011, 06:54 PM
A Garmin Dakota 20 - I have discovered that I know way too little about GPS and geocaching. It is not good when most of your customers know more about it that you do :)

The Dakota 20 was recommended to me by the the seller from Garmin Denmark, when I asked for a not too expensive, yet good allround GPS for geocaching.

I don't really know about this geocaching thing, it has never really appealed to me. But, I get asked a lot of questions about it at the store.

I also got a Laksen Serengeti shirt and some weatherproof matches.

Geocaching is great, been doing it for about 2 years now. I got a garmin Colorado.

comanighttrain
28-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Ordered 5 ration packs and 6 hexamine block packs (WHY?!?! I ALREADY HAVE 2 SPARE PACKETS!!?!?!) also windproof matches and I cant remember the fourth thing but i needed it.

Fletching
28-02-2011, 11:24 AM
...but i needed it.

It's good to see that you realise you have a problem. It's the first step on the road to recovery.

Apparently. ;)

Steve

Ben Casey
28-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Ordered 5 ration packs and 6 hexamine block packs (WHY?!?! I ALREADY HAVE 2 SPARE PACKETS!!?!?!) also windproof matches and I cant remember the fourth thing but i needed it.

Hi Where did you get the packs from Im after some real ones?

comanighttrain
28-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I donno how authentic they are but i ordered from http://www.shoponthefarside.co.uk, hexamine was £1.50 for 8 blocks and a day pack of rations is £9.98 - and it is actually 4 meals, snacks, tissues and drinks. Food comes to roughly 2500kcal all in, so might be a little short if you are going hard. Better than what I ate last time which barely came to 1000kcals though...

Ben Casey
28-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I donno how authentic they are but i ordered from http://www.shoponthefarside.co.uk, hexamine was £1.50 for 8 blocks and a day pack of rations is £9.98 - and it is actually 4 meals, snacks, tissues and drinks. Food comes to roughly 2500kcal all in, so might be a little short if you are going hard. Better than what I ate last time which barely came to 1000kcals though...

Thanks I will have a look and had a look it is a lot better and cheaper than the rubbish at silvermans :)

Ben Casey
28-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I forgat to put I was in ALSI today they have a fisrt aid kit on sale at the min for £5.99 and it has just about everything you need. I will be using mine for mainly at home and as spares for out and about. I think it is value for money if you ask me. http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17763.htm

Contents:-
First aid kits, complied with DIN 13164, have CE(Euro)/FDA(USA) approvals.
First aid kits, complied with DIN 13164, have CE(Euro)/FDA(USA) approvals. Flying Medical
Size: 26x17x8cm
Contents:
Adhesive plaster tape
Adhesive Plaster bandages
First aid dressings Bandages
First aid dressings Bandages
Burn dressing
Burn dressing
Elastic bandage
Elastic bandage
Emergency blanket
Sterile wound dressing
Triangular bandages
Scissor
Disposable gloves

bigzee
28-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't get a lot of that (she's the purchasing manager in the marriage not me) It's more "oh god what ya makin' now?". I study doody products then work out how to make an imitation of them out of something on it's way to the bin (like the chinese economy) I have a name for this, its called being a skinflint!

Fletching
28-02-2011, 07:49 PM
...Better than what I ate last time which barely came to 1000kcals though...

You can always top up your kcals requirements by taking a Coughlans Squeeze Tube filled with either peanut butter, or for serious kcals, some energy gel:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/make-your-own-survival-power-gel/

You can get blackstrap molasses and brown rice syrup from any decent (i.e. not Holland and Barret) wholefoods shop.

Steve

comanighttrain
28-02-2011, 08:19 PM
that...is a fantastic idea! Actually just making some pemmican now, but a tube with peanut butter does sound far more appealing! I generally go for protein and fat over carbs. I tend to get snoozy if i use energy gels or stuff like that

Roadkillphil
01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Spending Spree!!
Today was a good day. Postie delivered chrome tan strop leather and a vintage condition book entitled Nets and Coracles by J. Geraint Jenkins.
From backpackinglight I got a 30-40l rucksack cover, 4 pack set of drybags, a jetboil for My wifes bday present and a packet of skittles :)
I also cruised over to MVF and got myself a cheapo energizer headtorch and some new Regatta Ghyllbeck walking boots (my prefered boot manufacturer are Salomon, but I'm on a budget)
Was hoping my new waterstone would be here today, but unfortunatly no :(

GlenM
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I bought myself a Gransfors Scandinavian forest axe from Kasper of Nordic Outdoor at the Outdoor show last weekend. It's a too big to carry but I have got it for snedding a load of Sycamore's I'm cutting down on my mate's land. It's top quality as usual, although it feels lighter than I expected!....looking forward to using it in anger.

Glen

resnikov
02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Lowe Alpine Sting, wow what a rucksack. So far very impressed only issue is its a lot bigger then my old bag so i can take more stuff!!

Fletching
02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Lowe Alpine Sting, wow what a rucksack. So far very impressed only issue is its a lot bigger then my old bag so i can take more stuff!!

You need more stuff then man! ;)

jus_young
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Finally got round to some shopping as Dave Budds is next weekend.

Vango Sherpa 60 + 10 rucksack
Vango Banshee 200 tent for a little more comfort
Leatherman wave to replace my cheapy garage special
Maglite 2D cree led torch (more for scouts really)
Head Torch
Revamped first aid kit as some stuff was close to expiry
Light my fire spork as I only have one other at the moment
Various little bottles and pots
Boot socks (you can never have too many socks!)

More dry bags needed and my sleeping mat now looks stupid tied on the rucksack with the tent so I might need to get a nice compact thermarest.

Also wondering whether the sleeping bag might be getting a bit old...

robin
06-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt in 'winter' colour.
Wool socks.

beechnut mick
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
just bagged a bargain from gooutdoors,etex H for £49.99,nearly geared up for my Brecon bash now.

cuppa joe
07-03-2011, 09:26 PM
The misses( let me ) get a Nanok endurance bivi bag ... but only because I was a Birthday boy, £10 auction site should have got a tarp .

Adam Savage
08-03-2011, 12:49 AM
just bagged a bargain from gooutdoors,etex H for £49.99,nearly geared up for my Brecon bash now.

the beacons are great, plenty of nice soft heather to roll about in when you slide down the slopes lol

Adam Savage
08-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Just got myself a pair of Karrimor aspen II weathertites, heard mixed stories about them, but they are super comfy, walked about 10 miles in them so far and no issues. The bargain price of £33 drew me in. I shall report back once they have been put through their paces down D'moor at the end of the month.

Adam

JEEP
08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Been spending a lot lately:

An awesome Rockall Cumbrian oilskin coat: http://www.rockall.info/
Two Indian tiffin tins - Thanks Fletching :D
Esbit 750 ml. titanium pot: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/PT750-TI-750-ml-titanium-pot.html
Esbit mini titanium solid fuel stove: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/ST11.5-TI-titanium-solid-fuel-stove.html
Two pairs of Haglöfs Actives Boxers; http://www.haglofs.com/da-DK/produkter/klader/lager/inderlag/herre/actives_boxer_da-dk.aspx
Scout's mug; http://www.55nord.dk/Webshop/55NORD/EKSTRA%20UDSTYR/470501__Mug%20KFUM-Spejder.aspx (in red)
Woggle for my Scout's scarf: http://www.55nord.dk/Webshop/55NORD/UNIFORMSDELE/201400__Ring%20til%20T%C3%B8rkl%C3%A6de%20KFUM-Spejder.aspx
Scout's webbing belt: http://www.55nord.dk/Webshop/55NORD/UNIFORMSDELE/201620__Canvasb%C3%A6lte%20KFUM-Spejder%20130cm.aspx

Martin
08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Been spending a lot lately:

Two pairs of Haglöfs Actives Boxers; http://www.haglofs.com/da-DK/produkter/klader/lager/inderlag/herre/actives_boxer_da-dk.aspx

They don't count!!! :p Pants aren't kit!! Although, some kit is pants. ;)

Martin

JEEP
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Why not? They keep me from getting Betty Swollocks while running around in the countryside :p

Martin
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Why not? They keep me from getting Betty Swollocks while running around in the countryside :p

:D Technical pants.

Martin

JEEP
09-03-2011, 06:59 AM
So technically, what you are saying is; pants are optional when bushcrafting?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Jakobeep/Diverse/no_pants_day-2171.gif

Martin
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
So technically, what you are saying is; pants are optional when bushcrafting?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Jakobeep/Diverse/no_pants_day-2171.gif

Only in Scandinavia. :D

Martin

cuppa joe
09-03-2011, 12:16 PM
ha ha funny thread..I can just see all those bushmen walking around without pants(not a pretty sight).

JEEP
09-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Today:

Leatherman Knifeless Fuse
Leatherman molle sheath
Leatherman bit set
Haglöfs Corker XS backpack (for Maria)
Haglöfs Fanatic Print Cap (also for Maria)

slasha9
09-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Recent purchase: Karrimor Firesteel (Currently £3 in Sports Direct) It's cheap, not the best, gives off sparks that are pretty mediocre, but it works and because I bought it in a shop I didn't have the usual 'order-online-wait-for-delivery issue. Then I was clearing out the spare room when I found a stash of camping gear that was deliberately hidden by my (now ex-)wife. In it was a nice little bundle of stuff including something that I had thought lost long ago... a Marbles Outdoors knife! After the obligatory play with a Kansas whetstone and some satisfactory attacks on printing paper I gave it the once over with my okay-middle-of-the-road-nuttin-fancy Karrimor firesteel.

It was at this point that I set the hair on my right leg on fire

and burnt my laminate flooring and put two holes in the printer stand.

That £3 firesteel and that old knife are looking VERY sexy right now

robin
10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
It was at this point that I set the hair on my right leg on fire

and burnt my laminate flooring and put two holes in the printer stand.

That £3 firesteel and that old knife are looking VERY sexy right now:happy-clapping:

Just added to my kit:
Jack Pyke Countryman Boots (very comfy)
thermals for sleeping in
silk sleeping bag liner
cheap M65 style trousers
cheap waterproofs

Adam Savage
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
The missus went into town for some retail therapy today, so thought I'd tag along (secretly knowing mountain warehouse was having a clear out to make room for this seasons tents..hehehe) and see what was around. Anyway, long story short. After doing our own thing, we met back up, came home, and began to flaunt our new items. I went through all of the usual, pretending to be interested as she showed me hers, but when I got my turn she just tuned into the TV. How rude? lol.

So this is what I walked away with. All for a grand total of £21.96 (the foil blankets and stool came from poundland, so just pretend outdoor gear)

Two 1L alu water bottle, with Karabiner, Charcoal Matt Rubberised Finish
One 1L Polycarbonate Bottle, with graduations, Cobalt blue Translucent
One box Aquaclear puritabs, 50 tablets
Twin pack emergency foil blankets 1m x 2m each
One compact foldable camping stool

jus_young
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Trip to Tesco produced a very nice stainless steel nesting biscuit, tea, coffee and sugar set ready for a first attempt at a hobo stove (£16) and a 2l water bladder.

JEEP
10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Vango Force Ten Vitesse 200 lightweight tent: http://www.vango.co.uk/force-ten/vitesse-200.html

comanighttrain
10-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Vango Force Ten Vitesse 200 lightweight tent: http://www.vango.co.uk/force-ten/vitesse-200.html

ahhh big yin, you should have read my last pic-thread - Me and my mate camped in this tent and had some major condensation issues. The whole inside of the tent was literally soaking wet...

Maybe it wont be as bad in Denmark mind you... I'm pretty sure the air was at saturation point where we were.

JEEP
11-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Sounds nasty. Well, the one I bought was a demo model, I got it for next to nothing. If it doesn't work, then I have only wasted a small amount of money.

comanighttrain
11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
ahh if it wasn't too expensive then its not so bad....I now need to seek out a good light two skin tent

paul standley
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I hadn't planned on any more toys for a while as I'm sailing very close to the wind with SWMBO but just managed to get this under the wire today before my 9th life ran out...

So, bought a 2nd hand Webley & Scott .22 Stingray II air rifle with scope, mounts, moderator and slip. Lovely condition with walnut stock.

I'll post some picks later...

Paul.

jus_young
13-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Now the proud owner of a Dave Budd knife. Sooo different than my usual Mora Clipper and a real work of beauty :D

Realbark
16-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Four home brew kits, a small enamel plate/bowl and a replacemeny 58 water bottle.

RobbC
22-03-2011, 08:15 PM
My orders from both the bushcraft store and lakeland bushcraft arrived today. So i now own a green Uco candle lantern, a wimas scandanavian steel striker, Uco candles, and the beginings of my survival kit; an aluminium airtight box, 2 speed hooks, 2'' signaling mirror, plastic matchbox with waterproof matches.

Robb

JEEP
22-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Two neoprene cocoons for my UCO lanterns

Martin
22-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Two neoprene cocoons for my UCO lanterns

Does that mean you can take them scuba diving then? ;)

Martin

JEEP
22-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Yep, I figured a candle would be a handy thing underwater :p

JEEP
24-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Garmin Asus A10. Since it is part GPS device, it still counts as gear right? :)

Groundspeaks Geocaching app. for Android (expensive!)

A set of Vango mess tins

Realbark
25-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Bought an old swedish army 40 litre pack. Needs some work but coming on nicely. A swiss volcano stove. Some antler and some ferro rod blanks.

Ben Casey
25-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Rubber inner tubes brought on by another thread LOL

Woodwose
25-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Went to Le Prevo today and bought a few leather working tools and some veg tan leather.
Really good shop and they are willing to spend time with you explaining/showing you how to use the tools.
They had some Camel skin/hides? that looked really good, like a thick nubuck leather. If I’d had a bit more money I would have bought a piece.

RobbC
28-03-2011, 03:59 PM
A nosey round millets saw me walk out with a LMF spork.

Robb

klause
28-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Some antler and some ferro rod blanks.

Will you be putting any pics on of how you made them ?

Matt
29-03-2011, 06:29 PM
A horse.

Martin
29-03-2011, 06:33 PM
A horse.

One for you? What make?

Martin

RobbC
29-03-2011, 06:35 PM
A horse.
Well i think that is the biggest purchase put on this thread yet:D

Robb

Fletching
29-03-2011, 07:23 PM
One for you? What make?

Martin

...did you go for a scandi grind horse? We all know they're better.

Matt
29-03-2011, 07:35 PM
One for you? What make?

Not for me mate, only iron horses do I trust enough to cock my leg over:p. Jo's 40th coming up, subject to vetting tis sorted :)
Coloured Irish Sports Horse.

Matt.

Adam Savage
29-03-2011, 07:44 PM
...did you go for a scandi grind horse? We all know they're better.

Not too comfy to ride though I heard

Fletching
29-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Not too comfy to ride though I heard

They're not too comfy to ride period. :)

CanadianMike
29-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Not what I've bought, more what I've found! Martin knows this. :)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200146_10150131968374207_510619206_6320372_1173392 _n.jpg

A 25lb block of hard and heavy steel (6" x 5.25" x 3") I'm going to use as an anvil, will fit perfectly on my oak stump and enough room to add on my future large vise.

Adam Savage
29-03-2011, 07:57 PM
They're not too comfy to ride period. :)

It's been a while since I've ridden anything with four legs, but I'll take your word for that lol

Roadkillphil
29-03-2011, 08:10 PM
A horse.

Nice one Bud!! :D :D :D :D

Surely that qualifies you to buy whatever bushcraft items you want, without the "do you really need it/ have'nt you already got one" 'look' for at least the next 3 years!!!
Think of all the rugs and tack and herbs and food and rugs and tack and Rugs etc etc, thats gonna allow you to do whatever you want too!!
;)

RobbC
31-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe!

Robb

Matt
31-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe!

Nice purchase mate, you can't beat quality kit :)

Took receipt of a Swedish 40L framed rucksack today:)

Matt

JEEP
31-03-2011, 04:38 PM
An antique miniature Iisakki Jarvenpaa horsehead knife w. silver fittings

Trangia 307260 Gourmet Frypan w. lid http://campingnetshop.dk/Resources/Files/Products/3517.jpg

comanighttrain
31-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Blizzard bag

comanighttrain
31-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Not what I've bought, more what I've found! Martin knows this. :)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200146_10150131968374207_510619206_6320372_1173392 _n.jpg

A 25lb block of hard and heavy steel (6" x 5.25" x 3") I'm going to use as an anvil, will fit perfectly on my oak stump and enough room to add on my future large vise.

you find that stuff just laying around? :P

Martin
31-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Blizzard bag

Opened it up yet?

Martin

Fletching
31-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Opened it up yet?

Martin

I ain't opened mine yet, even though I was tempted. :)

Martin
31-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Me neither chaps. Mine's pristine in its vacuum sealed packet at the bottom of my rucksack. Not sure how long it will stay like that. I'm even tempted to buy another one just so I can try this one out. :ashamed:

Martin

comanighttrain
31-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Me neither chaps. Mine's pristine in its vacuum sealed packet at the bottom of my rucksack. Not sure how long it will stay like that. I'm even tempted to buy another one just so I can try this one out. :ashamed:

Martin

haha I was thinking it and then I was like oh my god what is wrong with me! It'll probably get opened at some point... more likely getting stuck at a highland train station than actually in the woods/hills though....

The biggest thing is not having to carry my sleeping bag on day trips anymore....so i can now carry more stuff that I actually "need"

Fletching
31-03-2011, 10:04 PM
....so i can now carry more stuff that I actually "need"

Look, it's people like us that keep the Bushcraft shops operating at a profit, ergo keeping the economy afloat (well, the ConDems can't do it without sacking everyone and charging us for the 'pleasure' of it, go figure...), so you NEED more stuff.

Don't forget, we're all in this together. :)

Che fletchavara

comanighttrain
01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Look, it's people like us that keep the Bushcraft shops operating at a profit, ergo keeping the economy afloat (well, the ConDems can't do it without sacking everyone and charging us for the 'pleasure' of it, go figure...), so you NEED more stuff.

Don't forget, we're all in this together. :)

Che fletchavara

Well...As long as we are keeping people in work and stopping the government ruining peoples lives then yeah I suppose its ok... I better order some more stuff :D

Who am i kidding...by the end of this month ill probably have an axe and some quick dry trainers... already started eying stuff up as soon as i got home

Realbark
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Well i hant planned on buying anything in the near future but.............i spotted a mil-com tarp on ebay with the seller about 3 miles from me. Saving a fiver in postage i picked it up for £8.50 still in the packaging. Pitched it in the garden earlier. Not going to sleep in it just want to see how it stands up to the high winds we have here tonight.

GwersyllaCnau
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
A tobacco tin for tinder £1
And a nice shiny METAL cutlery set with a REAL knife, fork and spoon (got sick to death of the spork) also £1

chris grace
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Latest purchase is a berghaus centurio 30 litre sack along with pockets and a karrimor omni pouch to go on the back.
Wasn't initially impressed 'til I realised I hadn't placed it correctly on my back.It rides quite high and is comfortable once it's on properly.

Realbark
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
A tobacco tin for tinder £1
And a nice shiny METAL cutlery set with a REAL knife, fork and spoon (got sick to death of the spork) also £1

Thats a good price for baccy tin. Where from?

GwersyllaCnau
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Thats a good price for baccy tin. Where from?

A stall in Llanelli market. He does the small tins for 75p. Got a piccy on and everything lol. Sorry not a national chain. The cutlery set was from JJB sports, again in Llanelli

jus_young
02-04-2011, 10:04 PM
In preperation for the Poshcrafting event at Cornwall RV (well I have got the family this time):

New Vango air beds
Coleman Hudson double sleeping bag
Single ring gas stove
25 litre water carrier
Table for inside the tent

Which means that I was then able to buy myself:

Vango ultralite thermarest mat
Atom X sleeping bag

absw
03-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Today I bought:

swedish army rucksack and a mora crook knife

resnikov
03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Decided to be try and be organised this year and get my wife her birthday present on time (Her birthday is December). I managed to do this with a Frontline hammock from DD Hammocks :D Decided to give it her early so we could get to use it this summer.

Shes was quite excited about getting it and we managed to get out this weekend and try it out.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_kplexf_qDc8/TZivmq230XI/AAAAAAAAAJY/9S54c7ysG5g/s800/CIMG0284.JPG

Eldest daughter helping her Mum get in to the hammock. Now thats good mothers day present IMHO.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_kplexf_qDc8/TZivv72C5HI/AAAAAAAAAJc/kdXbD_bij9E/s800/CIMG0285.JPG

"Now this just goes round here mummy"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_kplexf_qDc8/TZiv3MHrK_I/AAAAAAAAAJg/MLfgw2E5gxQ/s800/CIMG0289.JPG

Now shes trapped in the fly net.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_kplexf_qDc8/TZivVB0zIVI/AAAAAAAAAJM/X4tLiA1YZyA/s800/CIMG0274.JPG

Now my daughters trying to help me. :rolleyes:

Both my wife and I cannot wait until we can go and do an overnight with the hammocks.

JEEP
04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Lifeventure Titanium Plate: http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/cookware/titanium-plate.html
Esbit Pocket Stove: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/00209000-pocket-stove-incl-20x4g-solid-fuel-tablets.html
Esbit Fuel Tablets: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/00101200-solid-fuel-tablets-12-x-14g.html

Martin
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Lifeventure Titanium Plate: http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/cookware/titanium-plate.html
Esbit Pocket Stove: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/00209000-pocket-stove-incl-20x4g-solid-fuel-tablets.html
Esbit Fuel Tablets: http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/00101200-solid-fuel-tablets-12-x-14g.html

It's no good. I need a titanium plate. :ashamed:

Martin

JEEP
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Indeed you do. It is quite awesome :D

Fletching
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Not really a just bought it, but more of a just tested it...

Exped Down Mat 7 - more comfy than my bed and kept me lovely and warm underneath!

Steve :)

klause
04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Just bought a PLCE day pack set from Springfields as i needed the pouches which were missing from a plce bergan i bought off the flea market for £12.

I love minimum order = free shipping, it gives me an excuse to buy loads of little bits and bobs..

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Not really a just bought it, but more of a just tested it...

Exped Down Mat 7 - more comfy than my bed and kept me lovely and warm underneath!

Steve :)

they pack down super small too, and I like the hand push inflation system on them

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I got my Large 'Base Camp' Kelly Kettle® Alu. (1.5 ltr / 2.6 UK pints) so couldn't test it at the weekend but I think it is a bit big LOL and my Tava (Chapati Tawa) :) and the tubes arrived Coghlan's Squeeze Tubes (2 PK)

Ben

Adam Savage
05-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I got my Large 'Base Camp' Kelly Kettle® Alu. (1.5 ltr / 2.6 UK pints) so couldn't test it at the weekend but I think it is a bit big LOL and my Tava (Chapati Tawa) :) and the tubes arrived Coghlan's Squeeze Tubes (2 PK)

Ben

My camp kettle beats yours, 2 ltr capacity lol, but it isn't a kelly/storm, just a basic Hi Gear whistler

absw
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I have kinda gone on a gear binge this month, as I needed a new sleeping bag for the scout Easter camp (so I don't freeze my nuts off like I did last year in my 2 season..) plus wanting to do the whole bushcraft thing with my friend.

Nanok Endurance -10C Sleeping bag
Nanok Pillow
6 Piece Nesting Billy Can Set
Primus Meal Set Green
Mora 840MG Clipper (as well as the mora crook/spoon knife mentioned above)
Gerber sport axe
Bahco 396 Lap Laplander Folding Saw

Probably some other bits I have forgotten about and will just turn up at work and I will be all like yay!

cuppa joe
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
folding cup from wilkinsons...£1.65 .

jonajuna
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
just bought a tatonka meths stove with stand and simmer plate. i really really need a shiny stove, some wood on the ground just doesnt do the job :P

wife hasnt commented yet, it hasnt arrived but i made the fatal mistake of posting a pic on facebook

this one in fact :)

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/bilder/600/4126000a.jpg

Realbark
05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
A swiss M84 pilots flask and metal cup. Holds 750ml and is much slimmer,tho taller,than most bottles on the market. Flask fits in mug. Fits in sidepockets easily. Has a quick release drink valve on top as well as screw lid.

GwersyllaCnau
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
just bought a tatonka meths stove with stand and simmer plate. I really really need a shiny stove, some wood on the ground just doesnt do the job :p

wife hasnt commented yet, it hasnt arrived but i made the fatal mistake of posting a pic on facebook

this one in fact :)

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/bilder/600/4126000a.jpg

ooooo shiiiiinyyyyy

Jeime_outdoors
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
A Rock-trail 3M scotch 34L rucksack, i got it for a bargain, 17 quid out of lidl and it is big, light and very spacious :D

Jeime

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
A Rock-trail 3M scotch 34L rucksack, i got it for a bargain, 17 quid out of lidl and it is big, light and very spacious :D

Jeime

Im of to have a look at them in the morning :)

Jeime_outdoors
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I would definitely recommend :D

Jeime

RobbC
07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
A Mora 164 crook knife.

Robb

Realbark
07-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Jeime

Only big, light and spacious til you start loading it :p

Ben Casey
07-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Only big, light and spacious til you start loading it :p

I bought one to this morning when I looked at it I thought it will be ok for around town or the odd day in the country I got the tent to I'm going to leave it in the car as a just incase. I wouldn't use them for a weekender or anything though but that is just my opinoin useful to an extent :)

Realbark
07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Whats the tent like quality wise Ben?

Ben Casey
07-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Whats the tent like quality wise Ben?

I havent had it out yet as I have just come in the door about 5 mins ago but on the diagram it looks like you can sit up and it says the lenght is 1.90 plus 30 cm. Im 1.63 I think so I shoul fit ok. If I dont manage to get it out today I will do it first thing and post on here if thats ok with you?

Realbark
07-04-2011, 02:41 PM
No rush mate - at 5 foot 14 im a little wary of some given sizes for tents as well as trying for a decent quality for not a lot of money. Dont want much, eh?

Ben Casey
07-04-2011, 02:43 PM
No rush mate - at 5 foot 14 im a little wary of some given sizes for tents as well as trying for a decent quality for not a lot of money. Dont want much, eh?

I think we are all the same but i have never really had a bad but from LIDL or ALDI for there prices :)

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I havent had it out yet as I have just come in the door about 5 mins ago but on the diagram it looks like you can sit up and it says the lenght is 1.90 plus 30 cm. Im 1.63 I think so I shoul fit ok. If I dont manage to get it out today I will do it first thing and post on here if thats ok with you?

1.63 ? that's only 5' 4" thats tiny not lanky lol

Is that a typo? or a funny way of sying you're 6'2" ?

absw
07-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Pot Gripper
Balaclava
Padded Work shirt

Ben Casey
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
1.63 ? that's only 5' 4" thats tiny not lanky lol

Oh I must be 183 then (I always wonder why the nurses look at me as if I'm mad) as I just put it up in the flat and had about 10 cm left at the end.

On the picture it has it as a two man tent I would say it is a one man tent or a two man if one of you is a woman ;) The ground sheet seems a bit thin and it is single skin (I think that is the word for it). Personally I would prefer an inner and outer on my tents but as I say Im just going to have it in the car for use if the Tarp and hammock can't be used.
It goes up and comes down and packs away easily so that was ok. I suppose I will go out to the grass outside in the morning and put it up for a proper look at it. But from what I could see you could get a little bit of kit inside it boots and maybe a bit more, but if your lanky like me you will fit down into the end bit and only have some space either side of your head and shoulders.

For me at this min the plus point is I have a backup now for when I may need it (not for use on the top of a mountain) I will let some one else try that ;)

If I need some tent pegs I have 11 spare now with some guy ropes and the tent poles can be used for other erm expeiments/situations.

I hope that helps for now I will put some pics on in the morning if anyone would like to see them (Outside and inside of the tent)

Ben

Realbark
07-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Its a typo - im 6'2"

Cheers for the feeback on the tent so far Ben.

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I prefer single skin tents myself, as they are lighter than the doubles, and easier to erect. Glad to hear you fit into it ok though LOL.

Realbark, you may find it a little cramped in there. Could sleep diagonally for that little extra room I guess.

Realbark
07-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Pot Gripper

An essential IMO.

Realbark
07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Realbark, you may find it a little cramped in there. Could sleep diagonally for that little extra room I guess.

I think i'll give it a miss then. I have a cramped one man tent and a spacious 3 man - just thought it might be worth a punt. Published sizing seems to be all over the place with tents unfortunately.

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I think i'll give it a miss then. I have a cramped one man tent and a spacious 3 man - just thought it might be worth a punt. Published sizing seems to be all over the place with tents unfortunately.

I went for the Eurohike backpacker, from millets or blacks. It's on offer for £24.99 plus a small delivery charge. the sleeping area is 2.3m long and its classed as a two person. I haven't had chance to try it yet, but I will be spending a night in it tomorrow night, so can report back with some photos.

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 06:36 PM
just checked millets, and they have put it back up to 49.99 now

http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/tents/1-2-person-tents/product/096472/BACKPACKER.html?attribute=4785507

Adam Savage
07-04-2011, 06:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eurohike-2-Man-Backpacker-Tent-Mint-Condition-/280654022896?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Ten ts_JN&hash=item41584888f0

cheap at the minute on fleabay