PDA

View Full Version : is your cookware good for you?

roberts
12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Www .naturalnews.com/036029_cookware_nonstick_chemicals.html

Quite a interesting read , take a look at the write up for stainless steel cookware :confused2:

Humakt
12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
You know what, I just can't be bothered with these kinds of things.
If it's not one thing it's another. One day one thing will kill you, the next it's the best thing in the world for you. Sod it.

Silverback
12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
If it's not one thing it's another. One day one thing will kill you, the next it's the best thing in the world for you. Sod it.

Hear Hear..... !

saxonaxe
12-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I always thought aluminium cookware was supposed to be bad, now it's stainless!! Aluminium hasn't hurt me after all these years...http://www.pic4ever.com/images/SEVeyesC08_th.gif

jus_young
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm waiting to see what they say about titanium. Stuffed at home and stuffed when camping, something will always get you in the end.

OakAshandThorn
12-08-2013, 08:09 PM
+2 Seconded...

roberts
12-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Taking in to account that stainless steel water bottles are said to be better for you I was looking at them on the net and noticed that they still have plastic screw tops ??? Normal plastic bottles like what they make military canteens from I think it has #2 stamped on the bottom seem fine , sometimes you just wish you hadn't started reading the stuff but it gets so interesting

jacko1066
12-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Wow I'm screwed lol!!

I have a anodised ally non stick promises billy, a tatonka 2.5 litre stainless billy and recently got an alpkit 750ml mug!!

Oh well best get out in the woods and enjoy them lol!!

Fraser
13-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Hmmmmm I have found over the years that almost all of our 'modern conveniences' will kill us. Too many chemicals and plastics in our food, our cooking utensils, our crockery, fluoride in our water…. Surrounded by electromagnetic fields.... My family has been, and is being touched by cancer and I think that a lot of my quest to rekindle my connection to a simpler way of life is due to that. I think that the whole 'bushcraft' thing is maybe our desire to get back to that simpler way of life to be in tune with nature and escape the worthless shiny trinkets that modern life offers.... mentally and physically beneficial to our health.

Whistle
13-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm waiting to see what they say about titanium. Stuffed at home and stuffed when camping, something will always get you in the end.

Hey jus_young ! towards the end of the article they said that titanium was least reactive of all ...

QUOTE:
Titanium cookware seems to pose the least health risks and doesn't react with food while cooking. Part of a good cancer prevention plan is to ditch all others and buy high quality titanium cookware. Premium titanium cookware is more expensive but inferior cookware will actually cost more over time.
UNQUOTE:

Now I wonder if I can persuade the wife that I have to spend loads of money replacing my cooksets with expensive shiney Titanium !?!?

I doubt it very much .... especially as I doubt whether she'll give up her non-stick pans anyway !!! Ha ha ha !!!

Interesting article Roberts ... well spotted ... much "food for thought" hey !!!

Cheers atb Whistle

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 09:06 AM
+ 1 T^ But Ime not keen on the taste my ali kettle leaves in my brew. Look @ eggs they had to much fat content, then they didnt then it was cholestrol forming , then salmonella, and now there absolutely perfik for you, bah humbug

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 09:23 AM
In the US it was the aluminium co's that paid for the research into flouride and the findings you all know as you drink it every day. Up to that point the ali co's had to pay huge $'s to get rid of it safely as it was considered too toxic to get in the water table. I wonder who paid for this research PMSL

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 10:14 AM
The only thing that worries me with cookware is BPA that might be in aluminium bottle linings. Could do without increase estrogen and a DD cup :p

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 11:04 AM
The only thing that worries me with cookware is BPA that might be in aluminium bottle linings. Could do without increase estrogen and a DD cup :p

Hi Adam, Ime 61 & 1/2 lol, and ive heard stories about Ali and Alzhimers for years. I must of ate loadsa ali over that time and....... bugger cant remember where I was going with this Doh, mmm have to get back to you on this mm whats your name again, lol

Fraser
13-08-2013, 11:48 AM
In the US it was the aluminium co's that paid for the research into flouride and the findings you all know as you drink it every day. Up to that point the ali co's had to pay huge $'s to get rid of it safely as it was considered too toxic to get in the water table. I wonder who paid for this research PMSL
I have a book called The Flouride Deception by Christopher Bryson. Fantastic book and it deals with this. Scarey!!!!

Fraser
13-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi Adam, Ime 61 & 1/2 lol, and ive heard stories about Ali and Alzhimers for years. I must of ate loadsa ali over that time and....... bugger cant remember where I was going with this Doh, mmm have to get back to you on this mm whats your name again, lol
Well ..... where I live there used to be a big Ali smelter. The area around it, I once read had a higher than the national average of Neuro disorders... something like 12x the national average. My own mother has parkinsons, my best mates wife has MS her ex husband has it also.

KaiTheIronHound
13-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Haha, is there anything that wont kill you these days? Personally i wont be ditching my iron, steel and aluminium cook gear (assembled from second hand stores mostly) and spending a fortune on titanium gear. My gear is weightier anyway, what with it being cobbled together from all sorts of sources on the cheap, so whats a few more kilos between me and my pack!

FishyFolk
13-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Haha, is there anything that wont kill you these days? Personally i wont be ditching my iron, steel and aluminium cook gear (assembled from second hand stores mostly) and spending a fortune on titanium gear. My gear is weightier anyway, what with it being cobbled together from all sorts of sources on the cheap, so whats a few more kilos between me and my pack!

Problem solved:

http://www.nordiccab.no/uploads/Hel%C3%A5rspakke%204-i-1%20ny_634993812556792068__st.jpg

KaiTheIronHound
13-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Haha, i think i will stick with carrying my aluminium gear on hikes mate, though i know a bloke who might like that oodjit in your pictures fishy :P

jus_young
13-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Just need some rotor blades and you've got yourself a helicopter!

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a book called The Flouride Deception by Christopher Bryson. Fantastic book and it deals with this. Scarey!!!!

Its a toxic poison, Stalin used it in the goolags and Hilter used it in the ghetto's to subdue the occupants. Scientist in the US have been sacked from their post because their research didn't fit in with the paymasters. Its very scary indeed

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Well ..... where I live there used to be a big Ali smelter. The area around it, I once read had a higher than the national average of Neuro disorders... something like 12x the national average. My own mother has parkinsons, my best mates wife has MS her ex husband has it also.

I dont dispute that Fraser, if youv'e got a chimney throwing out 100's of times more than is good for you, its to be expected. All I know is, in general people are healthier and living longer and they have been cooking in Ali and steel pans all their lives. Maybe they would live longer if they hadn't, who can say !, Ken

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Maybe the thread should read....... I'ME DYING FOR SOME FOOD.....lol

HillBill
13-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd be more concerned with the food your cooking, rather than what your cooking it in. Most stuff sold these days is genetically modified and thats bad news. They just like to pin the blame on other stuff early so that no one suspects the real cause. Research "monsanto" and GM crops.

Flouride is used in small doses to kill bacteria, fine in toothpaste as it kills all the nasties in your mouth as its not ingested, it tends to say on the toothpaste tubes or boxes to seek medical attention if you swallow it.

In the water its also used to kill harmful bacteria but is in smaller doses than toothpaste, but it may also kill the good bacteria in your stomach though, leading to gastro intestinal issues.

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd be more concerned with the food your cooking, rather than what your cooking it in. Most stuff sold these days is genetically modified and thats bad news. They just like to pin the blame on other stuff early so that no one suspects the real cause. Research "monsanto" and GM crops.

Flouride is used in small doses to kill bacteria, fine in toothpaste as it kills all the nasties in your mouth as its not ingested, it tends to say on the toothpaste tubes or boxes to seek medical attention if you swallow it.

In the water its also used to kill harmful bacteria but is in smaller doses than toothpaste, but it may also kill the good bacteria in your stomach though, leading to gastro intestinal issues.

You get 2 times more the amount considered a ( safe dose ) by the W H O in tea and other natural sources, so why do we need it in the water. Not 1 other european country does it as they consider it 1 unsafe and 2 against human rights ( as you have no choice other than ingest it). Peppermint is anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti viral. The use of flouride in water is supposed to be to prevent tooth decay, in toothpaste it does have some of those properties but not in water, the evidence is undisputable. Watch this one and then watch a few more ( warning there are some loony tunes out there ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCjgfhT9Yw In the US, the toothpast contains a warning on flouride toothpastes..... If swallowed, get medical help or contact poison control.! now that speaks volumes to me

Fraser
13-08-2013, 03:23 PM

I'm no expert on flouride but I would avoid flouride 100% if possible. It makes not a bit of difference to teeth. In fact in too large a dose its harmfull to them... dental flourosis. I have read 1 book on the subject and it was an eye opener. When you read about how it all came about, the flouride is good for teeth bullocks and who pushed the various bills through it becomes clear that its all based on lies and half truths. TRUTH: my kids have NEVER used flouride toothpaste and the dentist says they all have good teeth.... comments every check-up that they must be cleaning them regularly as they are very good.
In the water..... thats mass medication without consent and thats very sinister.
As for concern about the food we cook rather than what we cook it in....... it's all the same mate.... im not going to eat freash veg microwaved in plastic! What we cook food in is very important. As important as the food itself IMO.

Fraser
13-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Its a toxic poison, Stalin used it in the goolags and Hilter used it in the ghetto's to subdue the occupants. Scientist in the US have been sacked from their post because their research didn't fit in with the paymasters. Its very scary indeed
Google Dr Phyllis Mullinix

Fraser
13-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I dont dispute that Fraser, if youv'e got a chimney throwing out 100's of times more than is good for you, its to be expected. All I know is, in general people are healthier and living longer and they have been cooking in Ali and steel pans all their lives. Maybe they would live longer if they hadn't, who can say !, Ken

Healthier? hmmmmm..... better medical care keeping the ill around longer?
A lot of the "we are healthier now" arguments can be linked to better sanitation and living conditions. I think that the food we are eating now is more likely to be linked to the plague that is cancer. When my father and father in law were diagnosed with terminal cancer (within weeks of each other) I did a lot of reading about alternatives to NHS poisoning. 1 of the options was the Gerson therapy..... it has a very good success rate even with patients who have been through chemo and been told that there was nothing more western medicine could do for them. Gerson is almost 100% based on diet!

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm no expert on flouride but I would avoid flouride 100% if possible. It makes not a bit of difference to teeth. In fact in too large a dose its harmfull to them... dental flourosis. I have read 1 book on the subject. Fact: my kids have NEVER used flouride toothpaste and the dentist says they all have good teeth.... comments every check-up that they must be cleaning them regularly as they are very good.
In the water..... thats mass medication without consent and thats very sinister.
As for concern about the food we cook rather than what we cook it in....... it's all the same mate.... im not going to eat freash veg microwaved in plastic! What we cook food in is very important. As important as the food itself IMO.
I agree, check out that vid I posted on youtube, about the cattle that were dying in the vicinity of an ALCOA aluminium plant, it may explain some thing of your familys probs

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Google Dr Phyllis Mullinix
Yup, Ive watched her lecture videos with great interest and respect, Ken. ps. I've not used flouride toothpaste for a couple of years now, I had been getting F free imported from thailand but Ive recently started making my own as there are other chems in it that are not good for you. I use salt,baking soda, orange peel powder and powdered sage, its an old swiss recipe

Fraser
13-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Yup, Ive watched her lecture videos with great interest and respect, Ken. ps. I've not used flouride toothpaste for a couple of years now, I had been getting F free imported from thailand but Ive recently started making my own as there are other chems in it that are not good for you. I use salt,baking soda, orange peel powder and powdered sage, its an old swiss recipe

We use Green People flouride free toothpaste. Free from Fluoride, SLS and Triclosan. Tastes flipping awfull, the kids quite like it though.

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I was using a thai paste called herbal twin lotus, but found that glycerol, stops your teeth remineralising. And sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium benzoate arn't much good to to either. It tasted fine, not like some I had tried but chemicals and cost put an end to that. I tried unscented soap for a while ( its not as bad as it sounds ) but Ime very happy with what I use now and what will appeal to a scot is its cheap,lol just a joke Fraser. A T B. Ken

Fraser
13-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I was using a thai paste called herbal twin lotus, but found that glycerol, stops your teeth remineralising. And sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium benzoate arn't much good to to either. It tasted fine, not like some I had tried but chemicals and cost put an end to that. I tried unscented soap for a while ( its not as bad as it sounds ) but Ime very happy with what I use now and what will appeal to a scot is its cheap,lol just a joke Fraser. A T B. Ken

haha. I'm very impressed with pine tar soap... I love the pong of it and I think it's reasonably safe. Good for shaving and shampoo too.

Rasputin
13-08-2013, 09:11 PM
haha. I'm very impressed with pine tar soap... I love the pong of it and I think it's reasonably safe. Good for shaving and shampoo too.

Never tried it, but as pine is anti septic it should be good, I used to use carbolic years ago, I love the smell of that and coal tar soap

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Bringing things back to the original topic slightly, I think the answer to the question, "is your cookware good for you?", is probably no, but not enough to worry about in most circumstances. I Don't think titanium cookware is any different, as my MiTi mug leaves an oily rainbow looking film on the top of any liquids in it, and a very slight taste of metal. The stainless stuff I've used on the other hand, has always been fine. The only problem I've had with aluminium, is trying to clean it with the old charcoal and fat method. The acids formed left the surface of the alu all pitted and rough, leaving a great deal of the charcoal in the pits :(

happybonzo
14-08-2013, 04:31 AM

Not to mention Fluorosis in sheep, cattle and humans?

OakAshandThorn
14-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Funny thing here is that there were a few articles on naturalnews a couple of years ago about cookware safety, in which they describe stainless steel as perfectly safe. Here's one: http://www.naturalnews.com/029676_PFOA_non-stick_cookware.html
And here's another in support of cast iron: http://www.naturalnews.com/031737_cast_iron_cookware.html
I think it's important to note that many of the authors on naturalnews are individual doctors or health scientists, and not all of them will agree on the same thing. And apart from the OP's naturalnews link, I can find hardly any other source warning against cookware of cast iron or stainless steel, and the evidence that these materials are "harmful" is lacking. On the other hand, there has been much research over the past decade regarding the ill effects of teflon (non-stick) and aluminum, and the findings seem credible to me.

I think we should use whatever cookware we choose, though personally I would steer clear of non-stick and only use aluminum for boiling water. I can see no reason to give up stainless steel, cast iron, or even tin.

JonnyP
14-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I prefer to cook with cast iron or stainless. I don't mind ally, can't afford titanium, but I really do not like non stick.. Too many chemicals for my liking. A well seasoned and used cast iron pan will be as good a non stick pan as any.. Its (iron) been around for eons, holds heat really well and it a pleasure to cook with and look after imo..

Kernowek Scouser
14-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I think Humakt hit the nail on the head. If it isn't one thing, it is another and after a while, you just get to the point where you are thinking "**** it!"

My concern with 'crying wolf' articles on this and other subjects is, their round the houses approach to everything being bad for you, results in the things that are genuinely and quantifiable bad for you, being dismissed and or ignored as just more of the scare mongering guff, often until serious damage has been done.

Then we are treated to the spectacle of various 'experts' participating in that increasing popular nation pastime (and prospective Olympic event) Blame-storming.

Another great result brought to you, courtesy of Culture of Fear
T^

Adam Savage
14-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I think we should use whatever cookware we choose, though personally I would steer clear of non-stick and only use aluminum for boiling water. I can see no reason to give up stainless steel, cast iron, or even tin.

I prefer to cook with cast iron or stainless. I don't mind ally, can't afford titanium, but I really do not like non stick.. Too many chemicals for my liking. A well seasoned and used cast iron pan will be as good a non stick pan as any.. Its (iron) been around for eons, holds heat really well and it a pleasure to cook with and look after imo..

I'd agree with you guys there. I forgot to mention cast iron, which I use a fair bit (griddle, hot plate, dutchie). Never had any problems with taste/taint, and as mentioned, if it's seasoned well, it's naturally non-stick. Just need to look after your kit a little :)