PDA

View Full Version : The emergency services numbers

Marvell
12-08-2013, 01:49 AM
I started looking into the powers of 112 and came up with quite a lot of interesting bits and bobs which I compiled into an article. Did you know you can text it for instance?

http://blog.artandscienceofsurvival.com/2013/08/what-is-emergency-services-number.html

If anyone knows of any other countries it works in, please let me know and I'll update the map.

Cheers

Fraxinus
12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for posting this, I already knew about 112 from a Youtube film by a SAR operative and trainer, but the occasional reminder never hurts does it? T^
The other tip I picked up, and was reminded to from this, was about maximising your mobile phone signal. If the signal is weak or cuts out when the phone is to your ear, stand still and swap to the other one it helps sometimes.
Also the band width for emergency numbers are preserved somehow and by using the less used 112 the call may get attention quicker than the busy 999 route.

atb
Rob

Marvell
12-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Can your source for that last bit. It would be a very useful addition to the article.

FishyFolk
12-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Another tip:

Find out if it's possible to send an SMS to emergency services if you can not get a call trough. SMS require a lot weaker signal. And may get trough when a call won't.
Also in most cases, the GSM network will in most cases have a lot strionger signal than the 3G and 4G networks. So switch you phione over to those when out in the sticks. As an added bonus, you phones standby time will increase as GSM uses a lot less bandwith.

Fraxinus
12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
You can use SMS but you have to register your phone first.
Will try and find the video link and the how to set up phone article... I think they were all on my last pc before it went doolally!
;)

Rob.

Edit: Found vid.

http://youtu.be/XPZv_8dABfU

In it he says to stand with back to the wind to protect the mic then says turn 180 deg which compromises the first bit and why I say stand still & swap ears ;-)

Marvell
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
stand still & swap ears ;-)

Nice and Simple.

Marvell
13-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Another tip:

Find out if it's possible to send an SMS to emergency services if you can not get a call trough. SMS require a lot weaker signal. And may get trough when a call won't.

You did read the article, right?

Also in most cases, the GSM network will in most cases have a lot strionger signal than the 3G and 4G networks. So switch you phione over to those when out in the sticks. As an added bonus, you phones standby time will increase as GSM uses a lot less bandwith.

Got references for that? I can feel a followup coming on.

Steve

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 10:26 AM
According to wikipedia, Deaf people can text 18000 for the emergency services (after registration). Which may be of use. There must be individuals that are hearing impaired that get out and about too.

Marvell
13-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Or, you can use 112 :-)

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 01:22 PM
True, but what if they try calling you on your number? Won't help much if you're deaf ;)

Fraxinus
13-08-2013, 02:28 PM
True, but what if they try calling you on your number? Won't help much if you're deaf ;)

A very good observation, I had a call back from the coastguard in a recent situation, so it appears the need often arises.
I assume that people who are hearing impaired are informed of the texting service available and its use though. At least I hope that is the case.

Rob.

janso
13-08-2013, 02:31 PM
steve,

jason from linkin... thanks for the info again!! good to see you!

Silverback
13-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Both my parents are deaf from birth they get text backs from the Police etc

FishyFolk
13-08-2013, 03:37 PM
You did read the article, right?

Got references for that? I can feel a followup coming on.

Steve

Where I am, I get at best 1-2 bars on the 3G network, And 4-5 bars on the GSM network. And finally I meant to write that the phone will consume less battery power than in GSM mode. Not that it uses less bandwith...

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=362

With the need to stay connected these days, battery drain becomes an important consideration for every mobile data user. Phones/tablets have a number of tweakable data connectivity settings, there are battery usage/CPU tuners/tethering/sideloading apps on the market, Android settings hint that turning off 3G may help battery usage, Wi-Fi hotspots are popping up everywhere.. yet all this seems to just add to the confusion as to what type of connectivity drains your battery faster.

Here are some generalizations that may help:

• Leaving your phone registered/idle on either 2G or 3G should produce similar battery usage. Voice-only mode without much data should produce very similar battery drain.

• If the 3G signal is poor, or coverage fluctuates, 3G will use much more power while actively transfering data.

• 2G has better, more consistent power drain when the 3G coverage is spotty or fluctuating. Use 2G-only mode if the signal is bad, and/or you do not need heavy data usage to increase battery life.

• 3G has a higher battery drain, however, it actually uses less Watts per downloaded Kilobyte compared to 2G. 3G is much better for heavy data usage, and will not use much more battery if the 3G signal is strong. If the signal is poor or fluctuating, however, it may drain your battery as much as twice as fast compared to 2G. Talk time is considerably less than 2G, however, standby drain is about the same. Overall, under typical conditions in suburban areas, you should expect about 2/3 of the 2G battery life.

• Wi-Fi is more efficient and uses less battery in modern phones than the 3G radio while associated with an access point. It will use less power than 2G if the phone is "smart enough" to power it down while idle. It will use more power while searching for a Wi-Fi signal, however. Another notable exception are some older phones that used inefficient Wi-Fi chips, they'd get warm/hot to the touch just minutes into using Wi-Fi and keep it at high power regardless of network conditions. Generally, Wi-Fi battery usage should be very similar to 2G (unless searching to associate with an AP). It may make sense to turn the Wi-Fi radio off if you only need light data usage.

All this is highly dependent on whether/which radio remains on while the phone is idle or the screen is off, whether you turn off the Wi-Fi when you're out of range (or the phone is "smart" enough to do it on its own), whether 3G gets turned off automatically when Wi-Fi is on, the strength of the 3G signal, etc.

Notes:
2G frequencies don't get along with some powered speakers (such as wired telephone headsets and PC speakers) - you may experience slower data transfers and interference.

3G requires transmit/receive of DPCCH continuously while in 2G the radio is only required to transmit/receive one timeslot out of 8 (GSM TDMA frame structure) and it can shut down its transmitter/receiver in between. Combined with the difference in modulation schemes (GMSK Vs QPSK), this leads to a more efficient power amplifier and current drain in 2G.

In voice-only mode (no data), 2G and 3G

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Both my parents are deaf from birth they get text backs from the Police etc

Do they use a different number?

Marvell
13-08-2013, 06:55 PM

You can text it though and in any case, a connected call will give away your location and the fact that you care calling. You could tap SOS if it was all you had. The point I'm trying to make is that 112 is just one number to remember.

Silverback
13-08-2013, 07:25 PM
You can text it though and in any case, a connected call will give away your location and the fact that you care calling. You could tap SOS if it was all you had. The point I'm trying to make is that 112 is just one number to remember.

The Police are duty bound to trace and check out an incomplete or silent 999/112 call. I know this because we were worried a couple of years back when my mother was subject to some nasty harrassment by local thugs...at the time you couldnt text anyone if you were deaf so the advice was to dial 999 and leave the phone off the hook to get help,

Triangulation of a mobile phone call on land isnt that accurate... best accuracy we were given by one major provider was circa 1/4 of a mile - dependent on how many mobile masts are within the area. There have also been issues with folks on the west coast of the UK being connected to the Irish Gardai/Coastguard although this was a while ago now and may have been addressed.

For info...Contacting the Police by Text (SMS)Contact 999 by SMS Text

"Did you know you if you cannot make voice calls you can contact the Police by text message?

For a non-emergency simply text your message to 999 (NOTE you MUST register your number first, instructions below)

In an emergency –

First register your phone with "emergencySMS" by texting ‘register’ to 999 and follow the instructions. Don’t wait till an emergency happens.

Then in an emergency :

Text 999 with –

Which service you require Police / Fire / Ambulance / Coastguard
What is happening in brief
Where it is happening, giving house number, street, postcode or nearby landmark.
(Try to keep your text short (under 160 characters) in order that it is sent in one message, rather than two).

More information visit www.emergencysms.org.uk"

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 07:42 PM

True, but as Sapper says below, location through GSM signal is pretty poor. You need coverage from at least three masts to get within the 1/4 miles Sapper states also. If you only have one mast covering you, they can only work on a radii from that mast. If you're 1/2 mile from the mast, they will be searching a band with at least 1/4mile inner radius and 1 1/2 mile outer. That's some area to cover when looking for an object of 6 ft x 2 ft x 1.5 ft, especially if you are laying down/fallen down.
The best thing in these sort of circumstances would be the app that has been talked of in other threads. One which you can activate the GPS function of your phone and use it as a panic button/locator beacon. Much more accurate.

Also, I just read that texting 999 and 112 requires registration before the emergency too.

The Police are duty bound to trace and check out an incomplete or silent 999/112 call. I know this because we were worried a couple of years back when my mother was subject to some nasty harrassment by local thugs...at the time you couldnt text anyone if you were deaf so the advice was to dial 999 and leave the phone off the hook to get help,

Triangulation of a mobile phone call on land isnt that accurate... best accuracy we were given by one major provider was circa 1/4 of a mile - dependent on how many mobile masts are within the area. There have also been issues with folks on the west coast of the UK being connected to the Irish Gardai/Coastguard although this was a while ago now and may have been addressed.

For info...Contacting the Police by Text (SMS)Contact 999 by SMS Text

"Did you know you if you cannot make voice calls you can contact the Police by text message?

For a non-emergency simply text your message to 999 (NOTE you MUST register your number first, instructions below)

In an emergency –

First register your phone with "emergencySMS" by texting ‘register’ to 999 and follow the instructions. Don’t wait till an emergency happens.

Then in an emergency :

Text 999 with –

Which service you require Police / Fire / Ambulance / Coastguard
What is happening in brief
Where it is happening, giving house number, street, postcode or nearby landmark.
(Try to keep your text short (under 160 characters) in order that it is sent in one message, rather than two).

More information visit www.emergencysms.org.uk"

Adam Savage
13-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Did you edit your post while I was typing Mr Sapper? lol

Silverback
13-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Did you edit your post while I was typing Mr Sapper? lol

As we say in Yorkshire..Aye Lad !

With ref to the phone masts. Without going into too much detail there is plenty of evidence anecdotal and otherwise on search results where there is only a 'ping' on one mast where the misper/casualty has still gone undetected for weeks because of the inacuracies......there is also the possibilty of being separated from your phone during or following your text....

FishyFolk
13-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I like the system we have here with an app that switch on your GPS, grabs the position and send it to rescue services by sms...no need to register anywhere beforehand. Just download the app...

f0rm4t
13-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Great thread! Thanks chaps!

jus_young
13-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I like the system we have here with an app that switch on your GPS, grabs the position and send it to rescue services by sms...no need to register anywhere beforehand. Just download the app...

I came across an app for the iPhone that did that and was quite impressed with the reviews, went back a little later to download it and couldn't remember the name of the app! Haven't found the thing yet...

Marvell
13-08-2013, 11:23 PM
That text 999 and text 112 thing is transparent. I registered on 112 and was confirmed as being so with the 999 service.

pagetwashington
16-09-2013, 11:03 AM
I started looking into the powers of 112 and came up with quite a lot of interesting bits and bobs which I compiled into an article. Did you know you can text it for instance?

http://blog.artandscienceofsurvival.com/2013/08/what-is-emergency-services-number.html

If anyone knows of any other countries it works in, please let me know and I'll update the map.

Cheers

Hey thanks for the post, useful content.