PDA

View Full Version : repairing/rehandling a broken mora...

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Was thinking about repairing the blade (the tip chipped off) and making a wooden handle for my old mora....

any advice?

Tony1948
21-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi comanighttrain, repair the chipped blade,no problem you can do that with a bench grinder and a lot of wet&dry papper.The hartack comes when you take the plastic handle off,you'll have to burn it off, cut the outer rubber off first.The blade of the MORA only go's into the plastic handle about an inch and you cant drill it,I hadto have a bit welded on and around the blade it was very hard work .any problems let us now and ill try and help...........atb........TONY.................... PS click on my profile then down to my album, click on that i think my one's on there.

comanighttrain
26-01-2011, 12:41 PM
You had to weld extra length onto it?...dang... The grinding i can do but re handling might be a bit more troublesome

Bambii
26-01-2011, 06:30 PM
You had to weld extra length onto it?...dang... The grinding i can do but re handling might be a bit more troublesome

You could use a chisel to get the plastic handle off, then heat up the end and press it into a piece of wood, repeat until the handle is lodged into the wood. Maybe once its in, if its not a tight fit you could use some araldite or something similar to help hold it in.

comanighttrain
26-01-2011, 07:19 PM
problem is that there is only about an inch of metal below the blade... i seen one guy filed down an inch up the blade. made a hole with a nail and then fittied it into wood, nail in and then dremmeled off the end of the nail....

Tony1948
26-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Have you had a look at my mora, just take you'r time there no rush.Get down to the blade look and look again you wont a peace of metal the same width as the blade and about 5or6 in long find somone to welde it for you and go from there........atb....TONY