PDA

View Full Version : Conventional Wisdom states ...

Whistle
28-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Conventional wisdom states that naturally aspirated ( by convection ) wood gas burning stoves

work better the bigger they are and small stoves don't ...

Fired with the success of my small stove made from a 0.5 L food flask ... ( See linky thingy )

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?6272-New-Wood-Gasifying-Stove

I wondered if an even smaller stove would still work as well ....

I saw these in the local Blacks store and thought ... hmmmm stove !!!

Yeah !!! It works !!! ... and the small stainless mug / stove nests in the Ti mug nicely ...

Quite susceptible to flame out in the slightest breeze, so a good windshield is a must ...

I plan to use it with my Honey Stove as a combined windshield and pot stand ... works well !!!

Linky thingy to fully annotated Flickr photos ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whistle5/sets/72157634783137292/

Hmmmm ... still having trouble posting portrait format photos , why is that ???

the camera and photo libraries / programs all know which way is up ?!?! Doh ... I don't get it !!!!

Ha ha ha ... lol !!!

Cheers Whistle

BJ
28-07-2013, 05:46 PM
T^ I love it, it's amazing how we see what we can adapt. looks a really good flame on it.

butchthedog
28-07-2013, 05:51 PM
T^

Martin
28-07-2013, 06:08 PM
The problem, as I see it, with small wood burning stoves is the need to keep feeding them with fuel. I haven't tried the pet litter pellets and these may be the answer, but I get fed up with having to constantly feed the stove to stop it from going out.

Martin

Whistle
28-07-2013, 07:36 PM
The problem, as I see it, with small wood burning stoves is the need to keep feeding them with fuel. I haven't tried the pet litter pellets and these may be the answer, but I get fed up with having to constantly feed the stove to stop it from going out.

Martin

Exactly so Martin !!! I was tempted by the woodgas burning stove on the promise of free fuel !!!

However I soon fell out of love with them as the typical places I go rarely have

suitable fuel lying around ,

I usually visit beaches , clifftops , hills and high vantage points where there is disappointingly

little free fuel to find ...

and what little I have found is usually of poor quality and either wont burn

or burns in a flash producing little heat !

It was impractical to visit woodlands to pick up suitable fuel

and then to carry around large bags of found stuff ...

So I stopped using the stoves I had made ...

However after seeing stoves burning kitty litter wood pellets on you tube

I tried them again with great success !!!

The wood pellets are highly compressed and very dense so are very energy rich ...

I found that one stove full ( Stove 2 ) of pellets would burn well in the pyrolytic

phase for over an hour , approximately 80 minutes ,

and then you get a nice glow from the charcoal produced for another 20 minutes or so !!!

Because the pellets are fairly small and evenly shaped ,

a loose packed bag will squish into otherwise wasted space in a pack ...

The small stove takes just one cup of pellets ( 250 ml ) yet will still burn well

for half an hour , long enough to cook a meal

and boil up for coffee !!!

Although its nice watching the swirly flames I'm finding the tarry soot

and smokey smells a problem ,

I think although the experiment has been successful ,

I shall be returning to using my meths stoves for cooking

and small gas stove for a quick brew ... but its been fun !!!

Cheers Whistle