PDA

View Full Version : Strange One - How to stop a dog attack?

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Wierd one for you guys. I was out running one night and I was set upon by two chav dogs (both those little ugly chav dogs which are notoriously aggressive). Didn't Run, just got ready to stomp/try to overturn and rip off its knackers (no idea....instinctive...slightly disturbing thought just came to my head).

Any know the best method or a tool which can help deter/end an aggressive dog? (other than buying a larger, more aggressive dog?)

Ivan
21-01-2011, 02:09 PM
pepper spray is light enough to run with is legal for protection and they willrun off yelping with the speed of a thousand gazelles

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 02:15 PM
pepper spray is legal in the uk?

Martin
21-01-2011, 02:18 PM
pepper spray is legal in the uk?

No it's not and nor is anything else you carry to be used in self defence. In fact, pepper spray, by definition of the fact that it is designed to hurt or incapcitate someone, is prohibited to carry.

Martin

Ivan
21-01-2011, 02:19 PM
so i was told perhaps check that before jogging to the cells .household pepper in a small squeezy bottle would do the trick, i think its legal to run with all manner of condiments

Ivan
21-01-2011, 02:21 PM
sorry obviusly misinformed perhaps choose a different route to run to keep youre freedom

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 02:23 PM
The law is messed up...That chav will probably never get any hassle no matter how many runners (they ran off from me, straight to another guy who was running....) they harass and probably bite.

Ivan
21-01-2011, 02:26 PM
what about one of those panic alarms you know the high pitched thing small and light enough ,i wil shut up now good luck

resnikov
21-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Carry a 3 D cell maglite, then you are only carrying a torch, but its got quite a bit of weight behind it. Ok so not very pratical when out running but think of it as running with weights so its endurence training

Martin
21-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Without wanting to labour a lighthearted point; as soon as your 'intended' use for any item is to harm or incapacitate a person, even in self defence, you commit an offence of carrying an offensive weapon.

Martin

resnikov
21-01-2011, 02:42 PM
To be serious I would say the main thing is to stay on your feet and shout for help. While being bitten on the legs is going to hurt its better then being on the floor where they can go for the neck and face.

Aaron Rushton
21-01-2011, 02:54 PM
if there only small dogs and are obviously agressive (not just growling at you but snapping and snarling) then surely a stout kick would do? but i think this is a last resort as if a dog is agressive but has not made a move to attack you then lashing out could have you got for cruelty to animals.

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I think I catch your now Martin :)

As for weight...not an issue, its sprinting to my intention is to build power...so extra weight is hardly a problem....big metal torch might be the ticket

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 02:55 PM
if there only small dogs and are obviously agressive (not just growling at you but snapping and snarling) then surely a stout kick would do? but i think this is a last resort as if a dog is agressive but has not made a move to attack you then lashing out could have you got for cruelty to animals.

these dogs only get angrier if you start fighting them...basically if they attack you have to incapacitate or kill them....

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Does climb a tree help ?

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Thats an option...problem is you dont usually know they are aggressive until you are faced off... also hell mend you if you turn your back to them

GaryBeaner
21-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I know that if a dog has your arm or whatever in its mouth, if you push in really hard you force a gag reflex in effect making it let go. Ummmm what about a thumb up to the knuckle in its eye. Then I s'pose you'd have angry chavs wanting you to pay for a dog burial?
Then again I was reading this morning how an American kid played some Christian rock to wolves that were after him........?

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 03:36 PM
It if it had my arm im thinking rppping its privates off will cause enough bloodloss for it to pass out, eye gouging would work too but its got two eyes....

Bambii
21-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Your fists? Legal weapons.

You could make a Shelelagh? Passes as a walking stick.

Ashley Cawley
21-01-2011, 03:55 PM
... as soon as your 'intended' use for any item is to harm or incapacitate a person, even in self defence, you commit an offence of carrying an offensive weapon...
Fair point, although the example scenario isn't a person, I suspect the same basic rules apply to animals.

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 04:32 PM
It is usually the act of you running or riding past/ near the dog/s that can cause this type of dog behaviour... dont run, (continuing to run will excite the dog and make it braver ).. stop face the dog/s make yourself as large as possible.. loud noises and shots of water will put off a lot of dogs (air powered horn or a squeezy water bottle !?)....
Chav dogs, like their Chav owners are normally untrained and make a lot of noise (eg empty barrels makes the most noise).
If the dog does go to bite you,it will normally be for your leg/s unless you offer it your arm... Sharp kicks to the exposed underside of the dog will be effective, esp the ribs. also thumb strike/s to the eyes are very effective.... the crack on the nose technique will only annoy the dog further. There are other techniques but further training would be necessary and would take up your running time.
As for the mag-light, hard to prove you carried it to defend yourself... remember you also have the right to use the minimum force required.... a tricky one that.
Avoidance is the best action, cross the road if possible. the actions noted above are used only if necessary... Dont forget to call the Law if attacted or threatened, removal of the dogs from this type of owner can only be good for the dog/s!!
I have been trained and I am a dog lover... who owns a Staffordshire bull terrier, my second.. neither dog has bitten anybody!
Hope that helps?!

comanighttrain
21-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks Kernow thats all good...Training would be good. Afterall i do love survival :D

Its hard cause i dont run on pavement, its straight uphill i need...only place i found is the park...

I think a sheleigh might be a bit suspect....

Kiltie
21-01-2011, 07:43 PM
This is easier said than done:

1 stop running, stand facing to one side away from the dogs direction, drop direct eye contact with the dog.

2 stand still with your legs together, fold your arms, stand upright.

3 pre-arm yourself with a water pistol, scoot the dog a couple of times-but without taking aim like a shooter, scoot the dog a couple of more times.

4 dont shout or make a fuss-stay silent if you can.

Excellent points made by Kernow in the previous post, some people have an instinct with animals and Kernow is obviously one of those.

The act of running triggers excitement (the hunting type) in all dogs-most behave well to this excitement, some 'loose cannons' will give chase and will bark (nervous type) some will be silent (the bold type and the ones to be duly worried about).

chasing down a prey is a deep seated instinct in a dog, as soon as a prey stops the dogs level of excitement drops dramaticaly, watch other predatory animals when a prey 'stops' they look confused, this can be seen clearly in wildlife documentaries, a jaguar takes down a gazelle then looks around bemused, a dog has similair type instincts.

Most of the soft tissue damage inflicted by a dog is the result of its prey struggling, a dog will 'squeeze' with its jaws-watch your pet with its toys 'squeezing'

if your arms are folded you don't present the dog with 'squeezy bits' and Your 'threat' to the dog is dramaticaly reduced.

Any dog squirted with water will be immediately 'flummoxed'-the human equivelent would be getting shot with an 'invisible ray gun'

Dogs like all other hearing animals are very re-active to sound-how many of you have neighbours who have 'shouting matches' with their offspring and pets.

like I said at the start-easier said than done-if a dog is going to bite you then its better to suffer the 'squeeze' than have a wrestling match with a mouth full of teeth

HTH
Jim

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Easier said than done..... and a very submissive / PC set of tactics !
You pay your money and you take your choice.

JonnyP
21-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Carry a few Bonio's with you..

A torch is not intended to be used as a weapon officer, its for lighting my way..

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Carry a few Bonio's with you..

A torch is not intended to be used as a weapon officer, its for lighting my way..

Exactly... Sorry a fellow Kernowyon... Zactly!

CanadianMike
21-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Chocolate in large doses can kill a dog (really, in a small dose will make the dog sick, depending on size), so carry a few big chocolate bars with you (Toblerone, you can beat them with it then drop it). Might distract them while off you f***, and if you are lucky, you won't see them again, only their offspring in a few months. Lol

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Ive heard if you rip the front legs apart they don't like that I think it kills them or something :)

bigstan
21-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Aparently if you force your hand down its throat just before it severes you at the wrist it will choke to death. On a more serious note, i was once told if you pull a dogs front legs far enough apart it breaks the rib cage and punctures the heart. Dont know if its true.

CanadianMike
22-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Ive heard if you rip the front legs apart they don't like that I think it kills them or something :)

Get them on their back while holding their front legs apart and thrust down and out, yes, that collapses their ribcage and kills them. But I like the king size Toblerone bar idea better. ;) Besides, it has points.

CanadianMike
22-01-2011, 12:45 AM
This is easier said than done:

1 stop running, stand facing to one side away from the dogs direction, drop direct eye contact with the dog.

2 stand still with your legs together, fold your arms, stand upright.

3 pre-arm yourself with a water pistol, scoot the dog a couple of times-but without taking aim like a shooter, scoot the dog a couple of more times.

4 dont shout or make a fuss-stay silent if you can.

Excellent points made by Kernow in the previous post, some people have an instinct with animals and Kernow is obviously one of those.

The act of running triggers excitement (the hunting type) in all dogs-most behave well to this excitement, some 'loose cannons' will give chase and will bark (nervous type) some will be silent (the bold type and the ones to be duly worried about).

chasing down a prey is a deep seated instinct in a dog, as soon as a prey stops the dogs level of excitement drops dramaticaly, watch other predatory animals when a prey 'stops' they look confused, this can be seen clearly in wildlife documentaries, a jaguar takes down a gazelle then looks around bemused, a dog has similair type instincts.

Most of the soft tissue damage inflicted by a dog is the result of its prey struggling, a dog will 'squeeze' with its jaws-watch your pet with its toys 'squeezing'

if your arms are folded you don't present the dog with 'squeezy bits' and Your 'threat' to the dog is dramaticaly reduced.

Any dog squirted with water will be immediately 'flummoxed'-the human equivelent would be getting shot with an 'invisible ray gun'

Dogs like all other hearing animals are very re-active to sound-how many of you have neighbours who have 'shouting matches' with their offspring and pets.

like I said at the start-easier said than done-if a dog is going to bite you then its better to suffer the 'squeeze' than have a wrestling match with a mouth full of teeth

HTH
Jim

I like this. Mainly the water gun idea, but fill it with watered down Tabasco and shoot for the face. Mostly likely to work on any dog. Or, on the chance Tabasco will plug the gun, maybe soak a bunch of cut up peppers like jalapeno ("on a stick" of course) in water for a few days, then load the pistol with what you filter out. By far the best, safest and most legal means of telling an angry dog to piss off. Just make sure you prime it by shooting off a stream before you go for a run.

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey lads.... I think we are forgetting who is to blame here! :guns:
It's the CHAV / HOODY that ought to be receiving the various "treatments" being thought up here !!!
Most dogs are ok if they are spoken to, in a calm but confident manner. My Dog and I are approached by other Dogs virtually every day in the fields and on the beaches of west Cornwall... My earlier threads are for that unlikely event of an attack !

Tereba nessa
Dave.

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Your right there about the Chav being in the wrong they should be strung up simples

comanighttrain
22-01-2011, 11:35 AM
yep...chavs cause us all our problems with carrying our knives and suchlike....i hate em.

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Now we are talking !!! :zombie-fighting:

Bambii
22-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I never understood what people were scared of chavs for.

Most of them would never stab anyone, they just threaten you.

Also, i dont think killing the dog would help, its just to stop it attacking.

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I never understood what people were scared of chavs for.

Most of them would never stab anyone, they just threaten you.

Also, i dont think killing the dog would help, its just to stop it attacking.

Have you ever been to the North East?

Bambii
22-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Have you ever been to the North East?

Do you get many stabbings?

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Do you get many stabbings?

I moved South awhile ago but when I went to a pub I always sat with my back to the wall and outside the Chav kids where just stupid walking around with knives and baseball bats like big hard men but in gangs.
I find the South a bit more Human to be honest :)

Bambii
22-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Scary stuff :S

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Felt safer in the Army LOL Don't worry it is all a part of life for some :(

comanighttrain
22-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Same in Glasgow... have been attacked by some chavs (neds here) with what i recall to be a table leg sized bit of wood.....long and short of it is I am quite a fast runner, so they threw it not realising thay they are all smaller and much weaker than me, so i went back and nailed the one who was carrying it. Not all these stories have a happy ending though...had to run for my life more than a few times...

Paul Webster
22-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Had a knife pulled on me a few times, I never knew how I'd react till it happened. First time I was furious and kept pushing the guy and shouting at him...

nature nut
25-01-2011, 08:24 PM
All you need to do is to take a dog biscuit or smelly piece of food, when the dog chases you drop it and carry on. A dogs strongest sense it smell, it will have tunnel vision only sensing the food, both dogs will want the food, fighting over it. you will be out of sight and out of mind!:D:D

happybonzo
30-01-2011, 07:06 AM
This works for dogs in India. The feckers like to chase cyclists Dog Dazer (http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/)

Allthegear-noidea
17-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Like the idea of throwing a strong smelling piece of food to the dog/s with a friendly "hello boy. Here you go" . Seems the least drastic measure that has a chance of working. Only problem is you'd probably need it ready as soon as you saw potential problem dogs/owners. Who wants to go for a proper jog with a sweaty ham and pickle sandwich in their hand? Once again the bitter pill of responsible citizenship means that the innocent party has to think up humane ways to solve the problems others create.
Good luck.

MSkiba
19-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Just get an air horn. Either compressed air powered, or manual squeezy jobbie.

Killing a dog because its running towards you is just silly. You will sustain injury, kill an animal doing what its owner taught it and totally OTT.

happybonzo
19-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Killing a dog because its running towards you is just silly. You will sustain injury, kill an animal doing what its owner taught it and totally OTT.

It's very hard to kill a dog with your hands even if you have been trained how to do it. You always seem to sustain injuries - alledgedly

Fuutpad
20-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Not a lot of people know this and dog psychology is a bit of a hobby.... Best way to to fend of a dog is to bite it. A human bite is five times more powerful than a dog bite. Dogs by nature are all front so dog bites you, you bite dog (hard) you are now the alpha male and the dog WILL remember this.
Also no legal come backs as you are not carrying any offensive weapons on your run :)

happybonzo
20-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I remember seeing the Danish War Dogs. They were chained to 1ft square oak post.
"Are they friendlly?" asked some total waste of space
"Point your rifle at one of them" said this Danish NCO
&^%I(Y^! We thought the oak post was going to break :)

MikeWilkinson
22-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Just read through all of this. Some interesting points and humour. The whole front leg thing is a bit of an urban myth and generally comes from ex-cons and big dogs trained to go for throats and upper arms, as they leap get your arms up inside the front legs and force your arms outwards (the original was to catch the forelegs) the idea is the weight of the dog, combined with the force of you pushing would cause the rib cage to crack and leave the dog dead or near as dammit.

I have to dogs that like to chase most moving prey, not often that includes the odd person, best thing is stop running, face off dog, keep arms in close to your body and shout ('No!', 'Leave!', 'Away!'). If it does get a grip somewhere, slip a couple of fingers in to its mouth at the back of its jaw and force them backwards/ or grab the top of its nose with your thumb, the mutt will either gag or let go to try and free its nose.(Wierdly this does work). The whole throwing some nice food only works on dogs without a natural chase instinct, my two are both working mutts and couldn't give a stuff about treats, praise and a good hunt is what does it for them.

jonajuna
26-02-2011, 05:38 PM
very few dogs are over 8stone, very few adults are under

dogs have big teeth, but thats their only weapon, we have teeth, heads, fists, "grip n rip", thumbs and fingers, feet, knees and generally more intelligence

a single domestic dog could inflict some damage on me, if you control your fear and use your head, you will kick seven kinds of wotsit out of just about any dog

a pack... different matter

a dog can only seize hold of one limb at a time, you have the other 3 to pin it down, strangle it, thrust your thumb through its eye, stamp on its head, rip its gonads off... basically all sorts....

if you feel your life is in danger, it is perfectly legal to forgo queensbury rules with a human attacker, let alone a dog

we are very powerful animals with many inherent weapons, only made "weak" by our sense of inadequacy and "civility"

bigzee
27-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I completely appreciate Martin's & the legal standpoint here. Having said that, I carry a victorinox swiss army knife every time I leave the house. This is clearly not designed for the harm or incapacitation of a person, but for a multitude of everyday tasks. I think I could make a pretty good defence in court to prove that I was compelled to utilize the (longer and sharper than any dog's tooth) knife blade in that extraordinary scenario, against the "non-person" to preserve my own human life.

Alteratively one could lay in one's ICU hospital bed with a few units of stranger's blood and mumble through the heavily bandaged remains of one's face - "oh well, at least I'm confident I didn't stray into any grey areas of English law!

Scarred for life, or falling foul of the (written) law, is the choice to be made here.

Notredame11211
28-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Sounds Viscous, My dogs get into fights all the time and the only thing to do is intervene with violence or they will kill each other.

happybonzo
28-02-2011, 04:45 AM
In the Middle East you only have to pick up a stone and look like you are about to throw it at the dog and it will take off; perhaps we should start doing that here

Notredame11211
28-02-2011, 06:51 PM
In the Middle East you only have to pick up a stone and look like you are about to throw it at the dog and it will take off; perhaps we should start doing that here

What if there are multiple dogs?

Bambii
28-02-2011, 09:02 PM
What if there are multiple dogs?

A handful of stones?

MikeWilkinson
01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
A pack will get you every time, do what you have to do and use whatever you can to limit the number of jaws that can clamp on you - kick, punch, gouge, poke.

Ashley Cawley
01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd just climb a tree as it's a well known fact that dogs can't look up.

Martin
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd just climb a tree as it's a well known fact that dogs can't look up.

I thought that was penguins?

Martin

Bambii
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't understand why we're all talking about killing dog's, if you said you can run faster than them run away, if you can climb, climb up a tree or find another way to deter them.

I don't think that breaking it in half is going to get you any where but an angry chav/group of chav's.

Kiltie
01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Its common knowledge that dogs and all other pets hate fireworks-strap some of these cheap 'pet trauma devices' onto your back when going out for a jog, hey presto (or Tesco)

http://epicfireworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=304

Bambii
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Its common knowledge that dogs and all other pets hate fireworks-strap some of these cheap 'pet trauma devices' onto your back when going out for a jog, hey presto (or Tesco)

http://epicfireworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=304

I like your style :D

Sproutmuncher
02-03-2011, 08:50 AM
If a dog clamps its jaws on you and won't let go, I heard a finger inserted into its bottom:shocked: will make it let go. Pretty sure thats just an urban myth, but if anyone wants to test the theory I bet it would make a great ventriloquist act.

Bambii
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
If a dog clamps its jaws on you and won't let go, I heard a finger inserted into its bottom:shocked: will make it let go. Pretty sure thats just an urban myth, but if anyone wants to test the theory I bet it would make a great ventriloquist act.

I don't think many people will be trying that idea in a hurry. LOL.

Metal mug
04-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Why are there so many posts here? :confused2: :)

Bambii
04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Why are there so many posts here? :confused2: :)

Cuz we got some badmanz on dis forum n'ting. :)

Adam Savage
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I completely appreciate Martin's & the legal standpoint here. Having said that, I carry a victorinox swiss army knife every time I leave the house. This is clearly not designed for the harm or incapacitation of a person, but for a multitude of everyday tasks. I think I could make a pretty good defence in court to prove that I was compelled to utilize the (longer and sharper than any dog's tooth) knife blade in that extraordinary scenario, against the "non-person" to preserve my own human life.

I had to pass a conflict management course that included physical intervention, for my SIA license. they key to ANY form of defence, against humans (and I'm guessing animals too) is necessary force, they used to use the word reasonable, but that was far too broad. If you believe your life, or a member of your group/party is in danger, you can use ANY necessary force. But like Martin says, carrying of an item with the intention of using it, should the need arise, IS illegal. I.E. if you are running through a wooded area, and get attacked by a person or animal, grab a large heavy stick and beat them with it. If you are a smallish person then you would get away with using more aggressive techniques, as you don't have the physical strength of a larger person.
This is only if you honestly believe you are in danger of serious harm. An old saying in my regiment was "it's better to be tried by 12, then carried by 6" in other words, its better to end up in court than in a wooden box.

nature nut
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Ive had this problem with rottweilers, and you do NOT want to get into a bare handed fight with any dog. Your best idea would be to slip a smelly dog biscuit in your pocket. Gravy bones work well there no bigger than your little finger but all my friends dogs and mine go crazy for them. Buy them form any supermarket in the pet section. Or if they really trying to have a go at you buy one of those really cheap air fresheners in the supermarket, the ones with the smelly putty in the plastic case. Remove the outer plastic casing and cut a cube out about the size of your thumbnail. For both the gravy bone and the air freshener throw them down once both dog are chasing you and within a close enough range to see you throw it. A dogs strongest scent is the sense of smell, tunnel vision of both dogs will over ride and other emotions or senses (chasing you). Make sure you dont hang around, if problem persists put some rat poison inside the air freshener, no way can they trace it to you and the problem willl be gone! hope this helps?

klause
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Smother yourself in mustard before going for a run - dogs hate mustard....
But don't use ham - dogs love ham....

Sorry...couldn't help myself...

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Smother yourself in mustard before going for a run - dogs hate mustard....
But don't use ham - dogs love ham....

Sorry...couldn't help myself...

LOL, it beats poisoning the poor thing anyway

Martin
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I love how this thread has now spread to 8 pages. :rolleye:

Martin

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I love how this thread has now spread to 8 pages. :rolleye:

Martin

You're completely correct, we have far more important/interesting aspects of bushcraft to cover, than aggravating man's best friend, whilst dripping with marmite and waving 3 inch pocket knives and sticks in the air

Martin
04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
No, I really do love how it's spread to 8 pages. I never realised we were quite such a creative lot. :D

Martin

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
There's a thin line between genius and insanity.....

klause
04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
aggravating man's best friend, whilst dripping with marmite and waving 3 inch pocket knives and sticks in the air

Marmite, sticks and knives - thats what i call a party - now all we need is a couple of dogs !! lol.

OKBushcraft
22-04-2011, 03:19 AM
This is one area I do like our laws here in the states- Generaly if one is fearful for their life or the life of another they can defend themselves against man or beast.
I don't have the knees to run so I walk and almost always carry my hickory staff. My hickory staff has moved many snakes and being in a deffensive posture will also stop most dogs.
An air horn may also be a thought if one cannot legally do the above. They are easily found here in boating supplies for little.

Realearner
30-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I think that to be honest, chavs get away with to much. I think that having pepper spray and using it on dogs is a fair option, however used on people might be a different position.

Silverback
30-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I think that to be honest, chavs get away with to much. I think that having pepper spray and using it on dogs is a fair option, however used on people might be a different position.

Simply posessing pepper spray is a criminal offence and will get you locked up..using it will get you locked up for even longer...

The perfect solution is Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, according to their ad campaign they are irresistible, or chuck the angry pooch a fruit pastille

cuppa joe
31-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Take the wife with you ...then if attacked throw the wife at the dog and go home for a nice cuppa joe.

Silverback
31-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Bran flakes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkKe6xjM-M

andy202wr
31-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Without wanting to labour a lighthearted point; as soon as your 'intended' use for any item is to harm or incapacitate a person, even in self defence, you commit an offence of carrying an offensive weapon.

Martin

I was told by a policeman that if you hit someone or an animal that is attacking you once and once only with something big and heavy its classed as self defence.

Martin
31-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I was told by a policeman that if you hit someone or an animal that is attacking you once and once only with something big and heavy its classed as self defence.

Well, that's not necessarily the case Andy, it has to be appropriate to the situation (reasonable force). For instance, if someone is pushing you on the arm in the street (technically a battery), it would not be appropriate, reasonable or legal to lump them over the head with a sledge hammer. And, my original point here was that, if you take said sledge hammer out with you for the purpose of defending yourself, you automatically commit the offence of carrying an offensive weapon whether you use it or not.

Hope this clears things up.

Martin

Metal mug
31-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Bran flakes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkKe6xjM-MI don't remember that episode of 'allo 'allo. :confused:

Silverback
01-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I don't remember that episode of 'allo 'allo. :confused:

It was the one where Herr Flick and Helga got caught with the yoghurt for the bran flakes

Metal mug
01-08-2011, 05:46 AM
It was the one where Herr Flick and Helga got caught with the yoghurt for the bran flakesDid they hide the yoghurt in a sausage?

Silverback
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Nooooooooooo they hid the sausage in Helga thats what the yoghurt was for:happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

<gets coat and exits stage left>

Silverback
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
What about Marmite ? Its a 50/50 chance though as dogs may love it or hate it

Ben Casey
01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
To be honest in all my years I have never been attacked by a dog so you all must be doing something wrong if they dont like you :D

Silverback
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
To be honest in all my years I have never been attacked by a dog so you all must be doing something wrong if they dont like you :D

Only been attacked in training so it was intentional and preplanned

Lone Wolf
14-09-2011, 12:55 PM
attack it first XD

dsavidge
23-09-2011, 07:45 PM
This is cracking me up. I have two labs they may lick you to death but never bite.
I was chased by a Doberman once. What I found was:

The best defense against a dog is the same as a good defense against an aggressive person. It’s all about attitude.
If you present the posture that you… are the big dog… and that you won’t take any guff out them. They will back down.

If that does not work… walk slowly and directly up to them and punch the closest one right in the top of the head as hard as you possibly can.

It will not kill them but they will get the message.

Side note: You guys have some messed up laws. Well... most of the US does also.
Iguess it would freak you out to know that any non fellon in Texas can carry a loaded and chambered gun in there car. Employeers are forbiden from telling you cant have a gun in your car in the work parking lot.
Most folks around here keep there dogs leashed or fenced.

Martin
23-09-2011, 07:52 PM
....Iguess it would freak you out to know that any non fellon in Texas can carry a loaded and chambered gun in there car. Employeers are forbiden from telling you cant have a gun in your car in the work parking lot.

It doesn't freak me out dsavidge but it does make me realise, once again, how lucky I am to live in the UK. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
23-09-2011, 08:03 PM
It doesn't freak me out dsavidge but it does make me realise, once again, how lucky I am to live in the UK. :)

Martin

The answer is, don't annoy anyone enough to make them want to shoot you :p. Something I may struggle with ;)

Martin
23-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The answer is, don't annoy anyone enough to make them want to shoot you :p. Something I may struggle with ;)

Have you seen some of those programmes on late at night about the police in America? You don't need to annoy some of them to get shot. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
23-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Have you seen some of those programmes on late at night about the police in America? You don't need to annoy some of them to get shot. ;)

Martin

That's me doubly done for then lol

dsavidge
23-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately shows like COPS find the worst places of the worst places to take videos. From what I understand they may spend a month or more finding enough bad video to make up one 30 minute show.

Most Police here are straight up and great folks. We back our boys in Blue.

Adam Savage
23-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Most Police here are straight up and great folks. We back our boys in Blue.

I don't think Martin meant any offence to the police, in any way buddy. More the guys they are chasing, but I know what you mean with the finding the worst places. I think the police over here do the same thing, it makes for good television apparently lol

Adam

Silverback
23-09-2011, 08:41 PM
The best way to stop a Police dog from attacking you is......STAND STILL! STAND STILL! STAND STILL! or I'll send the dog.......sorry got carried away there ;););)

seriously dont run you'll only go to jail with bite marks

Martin
23-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think Martin meant any offence to the police, in any way buddy. More the guys they are chasing, but I know what you mean with the finding the worst places. I think the police over here do the same thing, it makes for good television apparently lol

Adam

Yeah, no offence intended. Still glad I live in the UK though. :)

Martin

rossbird
24-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I remember my ex being on a course, which, for some reason included dangerous dogs.
The instructor said, if it's serious give it a part you can most do without!
To which she replied....what like your husband!!!

Adam Savage
25-09-2011, 06:46 AM
hahaha

Badmoon Rising
02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
You can buy a "dog dazzer" this device omits a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear, it doesnt hurt them but they dont like it

Design
09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I remember my ex being on a course, which, for some reason included dangerous dogs.
The instructor said, if it's serious give it a part you can most do without!
To which she replied....what like your husband!!!

I read a book that had a little section on dog attacks, and it said pretty much the same. If you have time wrap your less used arm in something
(coat, sleeping bag, etc) then stick it out for the dog to take. Also make sure you're against something so it doesn't knock you over. I think it then said to push your arm into it's mouth whilst pulling on the back of it's neck with you other forearm to break its neck.

Job done!!

Silverback
09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I read a book that had a little section on dog attacks, and it said pretty much the same. If you have time wrap your less used arm in something
(coat, sleeping bag, etc) then stick it out for the dog to take. Also make sure you're against something so it doesn't knock you over. I think it then said to push your arm into it's mouth whilst pulling on the back of it's neck with you other forearm to break its neck.

Job done!!

As 34 kgs of GSD breaks your arm through the sleeve ;)

rossbird
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I've heard lots of stories of how to kill a dog which is attacking you. Never met anyone yet who has actually done it!!

Silverback
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
you could just click the ignore button ;) it works for other painful 'things'

rossbird
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
you could just click the ignore button ;) it works for other painful 'things'

Didn't work with the ex:mad2:

Urban Ninja
14-11-2011, 08:53 PM
If it's coming at you, first off I'd say a quick front kick up under the jaw.
If it has already battened on I'd say either go for the eye or one of the major nerve clusters located right at the hinge of the jaw, but the eye's probably easier, and at least you'd have a good grip on it.

If that doesn't work, give it the old Kamehameha in the face. Problem solved.

wizardbiz
04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Wierd one for you guys. I was out running one night and I was set upon by two chav dogs (both those little ugly chav dogs which are notoriously aggressive). Didn't Run, just got ready to stomp/try to overturn and rip off its knackers (no idea....instinctive...slightly disturbing thought just came to my head).

Any know the best method or a tool which can help deter/end an aggressive dog? (other than buying a larger, more aggressive dog?)

rspca somtimes use a fire extinguisher on agressive dogs, or may have been police when they raid a house. good luck jogging with a fire extinguisher in your pocket tho. lol

tadpole
04-01-2012, 04:02 PM
You are running, carrying a water bottle, with a sports lid? spray it at the dog, or carry two one with gatoraid, that will desolve the dog in about half a minute. (have you seen what it does to chrome)

Bushwhacker
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Go jogging with a mate who's slower than you.

stracy
19-01-2012, 04:34 AM
I think that there should be a turnaround if you are going to use it for protection and I know that carrying them is prohibited with the though of it being a weapon which could be used to incapacitate someone.

What you could probably do is not to pull away the part that has been bitten as you have to conserve energy for when you feel that the bite is getting weaker.

Silverback
19-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I've heard lots of stories of how to kill a dog which is attacking you. Never met anyone yet who has actually done it!!

Lol like it! Thats like the 'I wasnt in the SAS but I know 10,000 men that were' one

There was a guy once in the local said 'its simple just pull its legs apart'...........so despite putting him in a full baiting suit he wasnt prepared to go 1 on 1 with the dog I had at the time.......I cant think why ;)

Lets do the physics...... Male GSD avg weight 39 kgs (85.9 lbs = 6 stone) travelling at approx 25 to 30 kph at you

So P (momentum) = Mass x Velocity ....1170 kgs per m/s !!! (according to the website i visited ;-) )

Thats a serious amount of force on a Human weighing in at 100 to 150 kgs

Adam Savage
19-01-2012, 12:25 PM
According to the elves at QI, if a dog clamps it's razors on your arm, you should insert a finger (or similar, whatever is at hand) into the mutts rectum. This is meant to make him release his grip. Like Sapper says though, not sure I'd want to test the theory....for several reasons...lol

Silverback
19-01-2012, 12:35 PM
not sure I'd want to test the theory....for several reasons...lol

average dog bites with 200 to 250 lbs of force - its going to hurt !!

I have been bitten, both accidentally (seperating dogs fighting) and intentionally (in training) even through a baiting sleeve it makes you wince.

They dont react to CS either !!

rossbird
19-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I think that there should be a turnaround if you are going to use it for protection and I know that carrying them is prohibited with the though of it being a weapon which could be used to incapacitate someone.

What you could probably do is not to pull away the part that has been bitten as you have to conserve energy for when you feel that the bite is getting weaker.

But will there be any blood left by then:confused2: