PDA

View Full Version : Get Out Alive - Bear Grylls

othan1
25-07-2013, 12:33 AM
New tv show i saw when flicking through the channels, has anyone else seen it. What do you think about it.

butchthedog
25-07-2013, 02:59 AM
First I've heard about it, I lead a sheltered life LOL..... I don't mind watching him though..

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:23 AM
i like bear grylls, acheived alot. SAS(r) everest etc.. im first to admit her over-dramatises stuff - but from reading about, and watching tv shows made in america alot are staged.. far more than his shows too... never mind sitting down and watching him... even though dave canterbury tells me not to! lol - ill look out for this one! cheers for the heads up

jacko1066
25-07-2013, 09:03 AM
What channel did you see it on?

Yes his stuff is very dramatised and over kill, but it gets kids outside, and if his wacky skills just help one person out of a rut when they are out then that's good enough.

But for me it's a chance for me and my daughters to sit and enjoy something together on the tv which is mainly full of dribble and unwatchable!!

Cheers
Steve

shepherd
25-07-2013, 10:14 AM
very good shout steve

jacko1066
25-07-2013, 11:28 AM
very good shout steve

Cheers mate!!!

Tbh I really hate bear bashing!!!

He is a self made man who is a global personality!!

Love him or hate him, he is British, an successful at what he does!!

We should be championing it not bashin him!!!

shepherd
25-07-2013, 11:53 AM
i agree 100%

othan1
25-07-2013, 12:52 PM
What channel did you see it on?

I actually saw it when i was in the USA just before i was about to go i had a look on tv for the last 30mins of the trip. So I'm not sure if it's even on in the uk yet but I think It would be on discovery channel.

David_JAFO
25-07-2013, 03:04 PM
hello,
Shepherd you hit the nail right on the head. 'Over Dramatized' & with the 'Chairborne' fraternity glued to 'You Tube' rather
than out there in the great outdoors gaining proper practical experience doesn't help either posting such on Bushcraft forums.
Just my 2p.
worth.
Regards
David

i like bear grylls, acheived alot. SAS(r) everest etc.. im first to admit her over-dramatises stuff - but from reading about, and watching tv shows made in america alot are staged.. far more than his shows too... never mind sitting down and watching him... even though dave canterbury tells me not to! lol - ill look out for this one! cheers for the heads up

Old Guard
25-07-2013, 04:34 PM
One simply just does not need to do a backward somesault from a 'chopper', into 'crocodile infested water, to show someone how to light a fire and cook a fish !!!!

Chubbs
25-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Yes his stuff is very dramatised and over kill, but it gets kids outside, and if his wacky skills just help one person out of a rut when they are out then that's good enough.

Totally agree with you on this one Steve.

My kids love it when he eats the creepy crawlies and worse. Although we don't take him too seriously, his program is far better than the muck on tv at the moment.

Neil

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:13 PM
hello,
'Chairborne' fraternity glued to 'You Tube' rather
than out there in the great outdoors gaining proper practical experience doesn't help either posting such on Bushcraft forums.

sorry mate, not sure what you mean there? (been a long day haha)

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:14 PM
One simply just does not need to do a backward somesault from a 'chopper', into 'crocodile infested water, to show someone how to light a fire and cook a fish !!!!

haha, good shout

Rasputin
25-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I think he's dangerous... he's setting real bad examples to kids with his over the top antics. Ok so its for the camera but you dont jump into freezing cold or crock infested water without exceptional reason, you adapt and overcome. IMO

f0rm4t
26-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Oh good. The old 'What I think about Bear' thread. Haven't had one for a few months either.

Agree with every comment so far. Good bad and indifferent. Haven't seen his new show but I do like him. His shows are obviously getting more Americanised (no offence) with each reinvention which is certainly not his doing, he's just the talent, taking his slice. I'm getting less inclined to watch him, but his shows aren't what I love bear for, it's him as a gentleman, father, husband and limit pusher. If a Bear basher had/kept his opinion after reading his autobiography then I'd resect their opinion. An opinion on his shows, and say 'his' loosely, should be held in a different hand to him as a person.
My humble opinion.

Old Guard
26-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Oh good. The old 'What I think about Bear' thread. Haven't had one for a few months either.

Agree with every comment so far. Good bad and indifferent. Haven't seen his new show but I do like him. His shows are obviously getting more Americanised (no offence) with each reinvention which is certainly not his doing, he's just the talent, taking his slice. I'm getting less inclined to watch him, but his shows aren't what I love bear for, it's him as a gentleman, father, husband and limit pusher. If a Bear basher had/kept his opinion after reading his autobiography then I'd resect their opinion. An opinion on his shows, and say 'his' loosely, should be held in a different hand to him as a person.
My humble opinion.

For the record, I wasn't knocking the man, just the program.

I believe Bear is a decent chap.

Your don't get chosen as Chief Scout if your not.

He is a fabulous dad to his boys and you can hear the emotion in his voice when he talks about them.

He has also served his country in HM forces, that's another plus.

So to confirm .... Bear = Good - Showboating on TV = bad

Rasputin
26-07-2013, 08:24 AM
For the record, I wasn't knocking the man, just the program.

I believe Bear is a decent chap.

Your don't get chosen as Chief Scout if your not.

He is a fabulous dad to his boys and you can hear the emotion in his voice when he talks about them.

He has also served his country in HM forces, that's another plus.

+ 1

HillBill
26-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Any of you guys seen this one? Before his man vs wild stuff, this was the first i'd heard of Bear Grylls. Liked the show, even if they did get it soft ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBJ6Ss9Nl8

Chubbs
26-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I watched all the episodes of this a few weeks ago.

It really shows how tough this guy is compared to the others. He seems to breeze through everything asked when the rest struggle to the end or quit before it. Personally I wouldn't last half a day.

Well worth watching if you haven't seen it before.

David_JAFO
26-07-2013, 05:41 PM
hello,
Totally agree with the posts so far too, f0rm4t true in what you say 'Americanised' I still say it's a bad example as in quote,"I think he's dangerous... he's setting real bad examples to kids with his over the top antics." & as said the 'Chairborne' fraternity who are more apt to watch B.G on the box or 'You Tube' than go out & actually practice what they preach, then on forums ranting on about B.G this B.G that.. sad really. I have with the greatest of respect towards B.G having achieved what he has done to date. If your going to practice Bushcraft & Survival skills please do not follow this made for TV land example. Rant Over! :innocent:
Regards
David
Ps.Winged Capped & Badged (Old School) now HM Armed Forces Veteran.

shepherd
26-07-2013, 07:03 PM

+1

Realbark
26-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Who? Of course i know who he is. However i have never watched him for more than a minute or two. Dont blame him for making a living as a superman but count me out :) Ray is much easier on the ears i believe and a lot more professional IMO. I dont even watch all his stuff as the latest Saltwater Crocs dosent do it for me.

Now THIS :D

http://oakridgetoday.com/2012/06/01/black-bears-at-grill-in-north-oak-ridge-trapped-at-ornl/

David_JAFO
27-07-2013, 10:37 AM
hello,
Realbark +1 :wink:
Regards
David

Rasputin
27-07-2013, 11:51 AM
hello,
Totally agree with the posts so far too, f0rm4t true in what you say 'Americanised' I still say it's a bad example as in quote,"I think he's dangerous... he's setting real bad examples to kids with his over the top antics." & as said the 'Chairborne' fraternity who are more apt to watch B.G on the box or 'You Tube' than go out & actually practice what they preach, then on forums ranting on about B.G this B.G that.. sad really. I have with the greatest of respect towards B.G having achieved what he has done to date. If your going to practice Bushcraft & Survival skills please do not follow this made for TV land example. Rant Over! :innocent:
Regards
David
Ps.Winged Capped & Badged (Old School) now HM Armed Forces Veteran.

spot onT^