PDA

View Full Version : One for the not so able a bit like me

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi all I thought I might put a post up for anyone sho could be like me and not be able to go for long hikes but is really keen on the lifestyle of Buschcraft. So any feed back would be cool as I have already posted earlier I think I'm classed as 60% disabled from the Army. But I still feel that I want to be active and take part in activities with some restrictions unfortunately.
I may be 51 and old but somewhere in me I have a young heart wanting to get out and be in Nature.

So come on all give feed back please

Ben

leon-1
21-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Ben, I think that there are a few of us who are ex forces and I don't think many of us escaped without at least some damage. I've met quite a few people with disabilities of one form or another who practice bushcraft, so I don't think there should be much that'll get in your way. The main thing is taking your time.

Do what you are comfortable doing and at a pace which suites you. Carving and craft work is a good area to start if you can't get out a lot. Rope work and knots, being able to lash and splice. All are skills that can be practiced at home.

You can also start learning the various wild foods which can be found in your enviroment, invariably wherever you are there is something that grows that most people say is a weed that's edible. Books like food for free by Richard Mabey, wild food by Roger Philips and Wild Food: Foraging for food in the wild by Jane Eastoe are good ones to look at. Marcus Harrison of Wild Food School does some handy little aide memoires as well.

Most people learn and practice skills at home due to modern lifestyles and either the fact that they do not have anywhere close to practice their skills on or the difficulty getting permission.

I hope this gives you a few ideas, all the best,

Leon.

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Leon thanks for the reply I have been doing a bit of rope work nothing brill at the moment but the normal easy stuff like the lanyard knot and cobra knot. I have got a couple of books I'm reading through to. Your right about taking time as at the moment I'm fed up of these four walls and want to get out in some fresh air if that sounds right.
Ben

Fletching
21-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm an 'oldie' too and not for long hikes as that kinda takes the fun out of it for me. I like base camping for a few days, giving me time to take in the surroundings in more detail and playing at scout stuff and cooking and 'flopping'.

Steve

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 03:43 PM
That is a bit the way I think I will go sit back chill and enjoy watching the wild life.

Tony1948
21-01-2011, 05:01 PM
You guys are just bits of kids.Im 63 and still doing abit I was in the mob back in 65, got me ear drum blown out over the water.Had a good time befor that thow. We can bore all the kids with some stories round the old camp fire.Like the time 20 of us wore arrested in the old post house at heathrow waiting for aflight to s/a and then to angoler,its a good job they did it went tits up just after,anyway Ben dont let the barst:;@ds jet you down we'll a lot to chat about when we get together..............atb............TONY

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Cheers Tony I'm not down just frustrated at times remember the good ole days when I could run from the RMP nowadays the 92 year old lady next door can beat me LOL I'm sure it will be great to meet up with all and pull up some sandbags and swing a lamp with some old stories.

Martin
21-01-2011, 05:10 PM
One thing to remember. Whatever you do, bring a comfy chair. :)

Martin

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Ben,
I did a number on my ankle a few years ago and also used the base camp plan. Started by attaching my bivi to the side of my wagon (a small Suzuki Van ) Had all the kit (plus some I needed) :o... in the wagon. Built up the length of my walks as my ankle got better.
I cannot claim to be a bushcrafter, more of "a rough-ish camper", my days of killing and plucking chickens ect are over. My scoff cames in various packets and cooked on a gas stove (Hexi not used either) I still enjoy catching my Z's in my doss bag, but I use a self inflating mat (no puff) and a bivi bag, as necessary... As you know, ''Any silly sod (being polite there) can be uncomfortable".
I am also 51 and just glad I am able to get out and do something/anything.. To that effect, I have now bought a small Honda Romahome...thats the 7 P's kicking in, I know That forever is not as long as it used to be.
So I also will be with the old gits ...slagging off the youngsters (was harder in our day!!!)... Pull up a sandbag mate!

Fletching
21-01-2011, 05:17 PM
...and I heartily recommend an Exped down mat!

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 05:19 PM
You guys are just bits of kids.Im 63 and still doing abit I was in the mob back in 65, got me ear drum blown out over the water.Had a good time befor that thow. We can bore all the kids with some stories round the old camp fire.Like the time 20 of us wore arrested in the old post house at heathrow waiting for aflight to s/a and then to angoler,its a good job they did it went tits up just after,anyway Ben dont let the barst:;@ds jet you down we'll a lot to chat about when we get together..............atb............TONY

1965!!! The MESS TIN was on the secrets list then :D
Good effort Lads... talk about forming a Square:happy-clapping:

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I think I better buy some sand bags LOL

Ben

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 05:27 PM
...and I heartily recommend an Exped down mat!

You have more gear than A double blank.... Not knocking it, just jealous:D

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I think I better buy some sand bags LOL

Ben

You bring the Wets !!!

A quick question... how come you still have so much dark hair ??? Not Cricket that !:mad2:

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 05:32 PM
You bring the Wets !!!

A quick question... how come you still have so much dark hair ??? Not Cricket that !:mad2:

Dunno why I still have darkish hair is has got a little bit of grey somewhere :)

KERNOW KELT
21-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Talking about Wets.. T hink I am going for the 3 S's... then try a couple...Be rude not to !!:ashamed:

swkieran
21-01-2011, 09:42 PM
brilliant ben much respect for being in her majestys forces:),a bit of hiking doesnt do anyone any harm m8 lol,i regret not joining the royal air force when i ad the chance years ago:(. just a couple of funny sayings ive heard older lads say hope you like them,1.there might be snow on the roof,but theres fire in the boiler.no 2,youre as old as the woman youre feeling.

Ben Casey
21-01-2011, 10:03 PM
brilliant ben much respect for being in her majestys forces:),a bit of hiking doesnt do anyone any harm m8 lol,i regret not joining the royal air force when i ad the chance years ago:(. just a couple of funny sayings ive heard older lads say hope you like them,1.there might be snow on the roof,but theres fire in the boiler.no 2,youre as old as the woman youre feeling.

I like the No.2 hats my fav pass time :) LOL Anyway the Army was a few years ago so how about a bit on here maybe for tips and ideas for guys and girls that cant go do all the heavy walking and are stuck at base camp?
It could be an idea :)
I used to love my mess tins but hated it when we had to polish them up like mirrors for kit inspection :(

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I Have aa set of GUCCI Non-Stick mess tins now... Oh joy!.....No more Dixy bashing;)

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Dont forget the spud bash I got that every weekend along with all the cookhouse Dixies :(

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Dunno why I still have darkish hair is has got a little bit of grey somewhere :)

I havent put a photo up of my head....I dont want to frighten the Children,
Its like something from Dr WHO

(Mind you Ben,just between You & I...there are a few members here who obviously dont have any Mirrors at home!!!):D

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Dont forget the spud bash I got that every weekend along with all the cookhouse Dixies :(

I think you have just talked your way into your role at the base camp....COOK HOUSE !....;)

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't mind the cooking not the bashing tho maybe someone will bring some of young uns and we can teach them how to spud bash and dixie bash LOL

OKBushcraft
25-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Dude, a lot of the slang is way past me.

I deeply respect those who have served their country. Hats off to ya'll.

Me, I had a calling that led me down another path. Part of that path has included 3 knee surgeries. I can't go up and down the ravines like I used to but I still like to try. I have a nice hickory staff I cut many years ago. I love it, it has been nice being able to lean on it when I needed to out on a walk about. Cutting and making walking sticks can be a great past time and an avenue to share your bushcraft with others. Kneeling is a no go for any length of time so playing with the fire board and bow drill needs to be quick or not at all. I find there is lots more that I can do that I have yet to get around to, train up the newbies, lots of good folks out there needing a nudge in the right direction with a kind word and an interest in their success.

Take what you know and share, it can be very fulfilling.

hoppinmad
25-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Ben,
I lost my leg above the knee in an accident twenty years ago..but never let that stop me. I am half way through doing my walk group leader..Finished doing bronze, silver and gold + teaching navigation courses...and absolutly love wild camping
I walk over the Brecon Beacons on crutches, OK it may take me a lot longer and I may have to modify my route if the going gets to tough, but at least I out there doing something I enjoy..good scenery, fresh air, a bit of exercise and very good company. The main thing is to look for what you can do and go for it, to many people will try and tell you what you can not do...prove them wrong
Regards
Stu

Shewie
25-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Would a canoe be something to think about Ben ? You can get to some stunning places without too much trouble, it's a lovely way to travel and see the country from a different perspective.

Ben Casey
25-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Ben,
I lost my leg above the knee in an accident twenty years ago..but never let that stop me. I am half way through doing my walk group leader..Finished doing bronze, silver and gold + teaching navigation courses...and absolutly love wild camping
I walk over the Brecon Beacons on crutches, OK it may take me a lot longer and I may have to modify my route if the going gets to tough, but at least I out there doing something I enjoy..good scenery, fresh air, a bit of exercise and very good company. The main thing is to look for what you can do and go for it, to many people will try and tell you what you can not do...prove them wrong
Regards
Stu

I take my hat of to you mate I'm plodding along but getting there half the problem is the Physio says take ten steps and a doc says walk through the pain.
Decided to walk through the pain till it gets to much then slow right down :)

Ben Casey
25-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Would a canoe be something to think about Ben ? You can get to some stunning places without too much trouble, it's a lovely way to travel and see the country from a different perspective.

It looks a real cool way to go and I will get to try it one day :)

Neil1
25-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Know where you're coming from on that front (buggered knees) but you do what you can!
I have a mate (in his 60's) who got caught in a two way range with PIRA and watched his knee cap sail away atop a 7.62 round!! It did'nt stop his military career, he can still tab faster and for longer than anyone I know (usually with a fag hanging out of one corner of his mouth!
He trained his local rugby team for the Four Peaks Challenge and when one dropped out thru injury, he stepped in. He took the veterans record (fourty minutes faster than the previous holder who was 46).
I did a class recently and one of the students only had one arm. I took him to one side before we started the safe cutting demo and explained he might struggle. Keenly he replied "I'll do my best" - what can you do?
He managed all the basic cuts and was the first to complete the "nock -cut". The grin on his face could'nt have been wider (if it had his jaw would have fallen off!).
Do what you can - build your confidence - persevere....... and the worlds your oyster.
Its the same as being on the range......................................... aim small, you stand a better chance of hitting your target!
Atb
Neil

Fletching
25-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Well, this old coot's going under the knife tomorrow for spinal surgery. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I'll be back posting soon!

Steve

Neil1
25-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Best of luck bud!
I hope to see you in February!

Ben Casey
26-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Well, this old coot's going under the knife tomorrow for spinal surgery. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I'll be back posting soon!

Steve

Hope it all goes well

Neil1
26-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Ben,
Regards
Stu
And he does ........ I have shared a beer or two round the fire with Stu (top bloke!)
Hows it going you old git????
Neil

Ben Casey
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
After a lot of thought and after my trial run the other day with Mark I will have to decide whether I can do Bushcraft. I defiantly can’t do the walking (over a distance) but I’m going to look into getting a land Rover (Ex MOD) if I can. Then I can at least attend meets and just be a base Waller and modernise the way I do it a bit.
Would that still count as bush craft is my question?

Martin
11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Ben, I've never known much walking to be involved in bushcraft meets I've attended. In fact, pretty much the only walking involved is from the car to the 'camp' site and then back to the car again next day or the day after.

I actually love walking and try to incorporate a bit of a walk whenever we go somewhere appropriate but I know I'm not in the majority and most people just enjoy chilling out, chatting, sharing skills and experiences. It doesn't take a huge effort to make a trap, carve a spoon, light a fire, make some natural cordage etc etc but can be a very enjoyable way of spending a couple of days in the 'bush'.

Martin

Freddy
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Would that still count as bush craft is my question?

Totally with out doubt.

most people just enjoy chilling out, chatting, sharing skills and experiences. It doesn't take a huge effort to make a trap, carve a spoon, light a fire, make some natural cordage etc etc but can be a very enjoyable way of spending a couple of days in the 'bush'.

What he said.