PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealing Food

paul standley
20-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I do, and I think a separate thread for that one (also in Wild Food & Cooking) will be a good idea as I've had mine for a couple of years now and there's a lot of tips I can give for that.

Steve

Great - I reckon the prep and sealing of of MRE's is something a lot of us would be interested in as they go hand in hand....Keep em coming.

Paul.

Realbark
20-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I do, and I think a separate thread for that one (also in Wild Food & Cooking) will be a good idea as I've had mine for a couple of years now and there's a lot of tips I can give for that.

Steve

Any idea of the shelf life of these home vacuum sealed products compared to shop bought products?

Fletching
20-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Any idea of the shelf life of these home vacuum sealed products compared to shop bought products?

You can extend the shelf life quite considerably but it really depends on what your sealing and how careful you were when preparing the contents:

'ADVANTAGES OF VACUUM-PACKAGED FOODS
Vacuum packaging involves removing air from the food package. Oxygen in the air promotes certain reactions in foods that can cause the foods to deteriorate. Therefore, the removal of oxygen from the food package does extend the storage quality of preserved foods. For example, the presence of oxygen can cause fats to become rancid or foods to change colors. (For this reason, materials such as plastic wrap or freezer paper that block out oxygen as well as moisture are recommended for wrapping foods for storage.)
DISADVANTAGES OF VACUUM-PACKAGED FOODS
The removal of oxygen from a food package does not eliminate the possibility for all bacterial growth. Although it is likely to eliminate spoilage bacteria that cause deterioration in the quality of food in ways that would let you know the food was going bad (odor, color, sliminess, etc.), some pathogenic (disease-causing) bacteria prefer low-oxygen environments and reproduce well in vacuum-packaged foods.

For example, C. botulinum bacteria that cause the deadly botulism poisoning grow at room temperature in low-acid, moist foods in a low-oxygen environment. Oxygen in the environment offers some protection against C. botulinum growth in foods that are not vacuum packaged. If spoilage bacteria are not present, C. botulinum bacteria can reproduce even easier, making the food unsafe without obvious symptoms of the food being spoiled to warn the consumer.

Vacuum packaging of dry, non-perishable foods such as nuts and crackers does extend their storage quality and these products are low enough in moisture that bacterial growth is prevented. However, these foods also store well in airtight containers without the expense of a vacuum-packaging machine.'

(Source: http://www.canningpantry.com/vacuum-packaging.html)

I would say, you can double shelf life on most things if stored normally (i.e. if you normally store in a fridge, continue to store in a fridge) but if you combine with dehydration, this can be months. Saying this, I'm working on dehydrated (cooked) sausage slices, but I would only want to keep them for about the same mount of time as MREs minus 50% as I don't want to add commercial preservatives. Like I say, I'm experimenting with the combination...

Steve

Realbark
20-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Steve - i dont think my last post post was to clear. What i was asking was for a comparison in shelf life , in your opinion, between commercially produced vacuum packed products and those which you produce at home. I realise you are trying to get away from the limited commercial items but am very interested in your own results and thoughts - Thanks

Fletching
20-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi,

I'm opening up this thread so that it will go with the 'Dehydrating Foods and MREs' thread (also in 'Wild Foods & Cooking' section) as they go together but each deserve their own threads.

Here's the vacuum sealer that I use, along with my latest batch of 'one pot meals' that I made a few days ago.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5374058746_39401510be_b.jpg

These are mostly combined ingredients that make up a meal like ramen, soya-based minestrone, bannock, trail mix, fruity porridge (with milk powder, salt, sugar and fruit), or single use packs for things like milk powder, cous-cous, mash and seeds.

The advantage of packing like this is not only does your food last longer but it's waterproof and you can plan each meal quantity and weight before you pack your bag (you can also prepare emergency rations and seal things like first-aid kits etc too).

I'll add more of my own tips in the next few days to coincide with the other thread, as I'm combining the two methods to, hopefully, come up with some decent home-made MREs.

Steve

Martin
20-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Sorry that some of these posts are not in chronological order but that was the way they went when I moved them from the dehydration thread. Anyway, hopefully these are the specific vacuum sealing posts and we will be back on track now.

Martin

Fletching
20-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks Martin!

klause
21-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi again Steve, we spoke yesterday on this subject concearning multi use packaging.
I have been trawling the internet, on and off, for months on this topic yielding scant results. The problem i wish to overcome is how to make my own boil in the bags (i.e. Stew and dumplings, chicken curry, full breakfasts) last long/stay safe enough in your pack for say a weeks trek. Apart from expedition/ration pack items being expensive, I prefere my own recipes, my own ingredients and my own portion sizes (fatty, end of day, go to sleep size portions).

I am in the process of buying a vacuum packer (suggestions welcome). However, having read information from various areas on home made MRE's they remain unreliable, without refridgeration, which is of no use during the summer months. I see you do not like to use commercial preservative, i would be interested to learn more about these and if appropriate purchase some in order to make my MRE's safe to take on extended or summer treks..

I must say i'm 'made up' you've highlighted this area as it must be of uppermost importance not just to me but to most other bushcrafters/wild campers.

Fletching
22-01-2011, 10:40 AM
...having read information from various areas on home made MRE's they remain unreliable, without refridgeration, which is of no use during the summer months. I see you do not like to use commercial preservative, i would be interested to learn more about these and if appropriate purchase some in order to make my MRE's safe to take on extended or summer treks..

Hi klause,

This is why I'm experimenting with dehydration before vacuum packing - see thread 'Food Dehyrdation and MREs'

For non-dehyrdated foods, here's some storage time comparisons:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5377161765_031b498c6b_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/5377161799_37a85acb23_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5377762650_84e6054c44_z.jpg

(Source: http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/docs/18/advice/)

Steve

Ben Casey
22-01-2011, 10:50 AM
What make of machine are you using I have been looking at the net and want to get a decent priced one? The ones on your link are a bit pricey but if they are quality I would look at getting one.

Fletching
22-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi,

A couple of tips for vacuum packing.

Vacuum sealers usually have two functions - vacuum air removal and heat sealing.

[see pic bottom] When the lid is up, at the front you can see the heat iron strip. This carries out the heat sealing by pressing both sides of the plastic film together and melting them. Behind that, you can see the foam vacuum loop. When you place an open side to a bag in this loop and close the lid, air is sucked out of the bag before the heat iron is activated to seal the vacuum.

You can make bags to your required size by cutting to size and sealing (all but one of) the open sides using the heat iron alone.

The plastic itself has, obviously, two sheets. One sheet is smooth, but the other sheet has tiny channels that run in a diagonal grid pattern. It is through these channels that air is sucked out of the bag before the heat iron then melts these channels and welds the two sheets together, forming a welded seal.

When preparing liquids, sauces with a high liquid content or fresh meat, it's better to freeze first, as this stops liquid getting into the channels, which could stop a proper seal being formed.

Another thing I've learned is that if you wish to pack fine powders (like milk powder into portions), it's better to wrap the powder in cling film first so the powder doesn't get into the channels.

Steve

Fletching
22-01-2011, 11:23 AM
What make of machine are you using I have been looking at the net and want to get a decent priced one? The ones on your link are a bit pricey but if they are quality I would look at getting one.

http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/products/1/10/vacuum_sealer_-__fresherpack_yjs100/

So far, so good, but the tape that covers the heat iron keeps slipping and I have to keep an eye on it. Saying that, it's not a big deal and I've had this one for a couple of years now.

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Steve, I dont wish to interupt the flow of your threads.... just wondered if you have bought any New Kit yet today ? ;)

Fletching
22-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi Steve, I dont wish to interupt the flow of your threads.... just wondered if you have bought any New Kit yet today ? ;)

No, but I'm off down the range shortly to sight-in my XVI and scope. ;)

KERNOW KELT
22-01-2011, 02:21 PM
No, but I'm off down the range shortly to sight-in my XVI and scope. ;)

Enjoy !!! :guns:

Ben Casey
08-02-2011, 06:02 PM
One thing I have learnt you cant Vacum pack bread I tried and it packs great but it just doesn't unpack :)

Fletching
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
One thing I have learnt you cant Vacum pack bread I tried and it packs great but it just doesn't unpack :)

The air's trapped in the bread too, so even you vacuum pack rolls, it'll only make last a little bit longer and not worth the energy. :)

Ben Casey
08-02-2011, 08:24 PM
The air's trapped in the bread too, so even you vacuum pack rolls, it'll only make last a little bit longer and not worth the energy. :)

I think I managed to get three slices of bread to collapse into one it was a good conversation piece around the old campfire especially when I showed Mark my vacuum packed toilet roll :)

Realbark
08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
especially when I showed Mark my vacuum packed toilet roll :)

i darent ask how you rehydrate that! :)

Ben Casey
08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
i darent ask how you rehydrate that! :)

After reading the thread I went and bought a machine. Well when I got home everything got vacu packed :) Even my socks :)

Fletching
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
After reading the thread I went and bought a machine. Well when I got home everything got vacu packed :) Even my socks :)

Put the baby down Ben. Step away from the baby. Put your hands behind your...

Ben Casey
08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Put the baby down Ben. Step away from the baby. Put your hands behind your...

LOL I have it is well it was new and I had to experiment :)

lucywm
22-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Hello everyone

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice re: vacuum packing food for desert terrain?

My partner is a serving medic, currently frontline in Afghan. I really want to send him some decent food as he is on horrible British rations, but not poison him in the process.

Where can I find recipes suitable for vacuum packing to send through the post (takes a week) and that will be edible for a least a couple of days after they arrive (I will put dates on them so they don't sit around in the heat for too long). He will not be able to store anything in a fridge, so they will be in a tent at around 35c in the daytime.

I am vacuum packing dry goods and marinated things (olives, artichokes etc) anyway but would love to surprise him with some proper meals.

Thank you all in advance for your help with this.

Kyle_Jackson
22-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Hello, what kind of food sealers can you recommend? At my work we have a vacuum chamber (Minerva I think) but I really can't afford a vacuum-chamber at home, so I have to settle with a sealer. Hope you can help me, so that I can start sous vide'ing at home!

Thanks,
Kyle

Fangfarrier
23-04-2017, 10:44 AM
You can extend the shelf life quite considerably but it really depends on what your sealing and how careful you were when preparing the contents:

'ADVANTAGES OF VACUUM-PACKAGED FOODS
Vacuum packaging involves removing air from the food package. Oxygen in the air promotes certain reactions in foods that can cause the foods to deteriorate. Therefore, the removal of oxygen from the food package does extend the storage quality of preserved foods. For example, the presence of oxygen can cause fats to become rancid or foods to change colors. (For this reason, materials such as plastic wrap or freezer paper that block out oxygen as well as moisture are recommended for wrapping foods for storage.)
DISADVANTAGES OF VACUUM-PACKAGED FOODS
The removal of oxygen from a food package does not eliminate the possibility for all bacterial growth. Although it is likely to eliminate spoilage bacteria that cause deterioration in the quality of food in ways that would let you know the food was going bad (odor, color, sliminess, etc.), some pathogenic (disease-causing) bacteria prefer low-oxygen environments and reproduce well in vacuum-packaged foods.

For example, C. botulinum bacteria that cause the deadly botulism poisoning grow at room temperature in low-acid, moist foods in a low-oxygen environment. Oxygen in the environment offers some protection against C. botulinum growth in foods that are not vacuum packaged. If spoilage bacteria are not present, C. botulinum bacteria can reproduce even easier, making the food unsafe without obvious symptoms of the food being spoiled to warn the consumer.

Vacuum packaging of dry, non-perishable foods such as nuts and crackers does extend their storage quality and these products are low enough in moisture that bacterial growth is prevented. However, these foods also store well in airtight containers without the expense of a vacuum-packaging machine.'

(Source: http://www.canningpantry.com/vacuum-packaging.html)

I would say, you can double shelf life on most things if stored normally (i.e. if you normally store in a fridge, continue to store in a fridge) but if you combine with dehydration, this can be months. Saying this, I'm working on dehydrated (cooked) sausage slices, but I would only want to keep them for about the same mount of time as MREs minus 50% as I don't want to add commercial preservatives. Like I say, I'm experimenting with the combination...

Steve

The canning pantry website seems to be down from the end of March.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fangfarrier
23-04-2017, 10:54 AM
This topic has inspired Mel go out and get one. What features should I be looking for?

Cheers

Ian

jus_young
25-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Anything that can remove the air and seal efficiently. I have been using one for a while now and helps to separate the different days rations when supervising expedition groups over a number of days. They can vary hugely in cost for no real reason.

Ehecatl
26-04-2017, 02:23 PM
There are some good You Tube videos about "hacks" for vacuum packing. I wouldn't use them for long term storage of food, but for a couple of days they should be good enough.