PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears' Close Encounters: Saltwater Crocodile

Ashley Cawley
17-07-2013, 07:54 PM
First episode about to start on (17th July) ITV at 9pm

Season 1 Episode 1 of 2
In the first of two studies of Australian animals, the survival expert focuses on the saltwater crocodile. In the sparsely populated Northern Territory, numbers of the predators are increasing and they have been known to make their way into the gardens of people in Darwin. Ray meets croc-catching rangers, scientists and surgeons who patch up the reptiles' injured victims as he asks whether it is possible for humans to live alongside this fearsome creature.

Wardy
17-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Nice reminder Ashley luckily I set this to series record :)

shepherd
18-07-2013, 07:50 AM
i only caught half ... as my mrs wanted to watch the apprentice... will it be on itv player?

butchthedog
18-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Missed it DOH!!!

happybonzo
19-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Yarp (https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ray-mears-close-encounters/series-1/episode-1-saltwater-crocodiles)

butchthedog
19-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Thank you kindly, HB.............. T^

Chubbs
19-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Watching this now on the itv player.

When I view Sir Rays programs that are other than bushcraft or are made by ITV, I am usually a little dissapointed. This one is not too bad at all and I think I will carry on watching the rest.

With the size of some of them salties, forum leather workers wouldn't need any more than one skin in a lifetime. As far as paying AU$ 90,000 for a non washable tshirt, I think I will pass !!.

shepherd
19-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Yarp (https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ray-mears-close-encounters/series-1/episode-1-saltwater-crocodiles)

many thanks!

BJ
19-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Watched it last night, it was interesting and makes you think about living anywhere near a "salty" :shocked:

Bushdoctor
24-07-2013, 03:06 PM
This is one I met in North Queensland two years ago, they are big nasty ba-----s. I have a bit of one of his mates holding up my trousers. Most locals(including my mate from Brisbane)
would like to see open season declared on them.

shepherd
24-07-2013, 05:16 PM
wow! niceone bushdoctor

jus_young
24-07-2013, 09:05 PM
To be a little contentious, big and nasty doesn't necessarily mean bad. That's the way they evolved to survive and it has worked very well for them considering their species has been around for longer than most things on this planet, including us. Control maybe but it is very easy to allow things to go too far and open season is a step in the wrong direction.

And by the way, if anyone feels that letters need to be omitted from words then the words should not be on here. Family viewing folks ;)

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:32 AM
anyone catch ray mears with the tazzy devils? great viewing. although im very sad to see the problems they are having and its kinda terrifying, had no idea any species cos contract a contagious cancer..

Bushdoctor
25-07-2013, 01:10 PM
My mate in Brisbanes words not mine, I was quoteing him. Everybody has a right to there opinion including him and I would always respect and defend that ,after all they are in his back yard (literaly)
not yours.I dont think people are fully aware of just how dangerous these creatures are.There are so many of them that you actualy cant walk by the riverside without taking the risk of being attacked,
killed and eaten.Ive seen them so I know he is not winding me up and Ive met a couple whos young son was taken in this way,his body was never found, so perhaps think again?. I am all for protecting
wild life, but people and there safety should come first. But thats only my opinion for what its worth.
Cheers Doc.

jus_young
25-07-2013, 02:03 PM
???

I generally agreed with what you said, just don't agree on an 'open season'. Control, as I stated, is always needed in these situations.

happybonzo
25-07-2013, 05:20 PM
anyone catch ray mears with the tazzy devils? great viewing. although im very sad to see the problems they are having and its kinda terrifying, had no idea any species cos contract a contagious cancer..

Have a look at this website - DEVIL ARK (http://www.devilark.com.au/) - the work they are doing with trying to rescue the species is terrific

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:16 PM
thanks bud ill check tht out, i had no idea the tazzy devil was in such a state, really concerning.

Bushdoctor
27-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Contagious malignant disease is fortunately quite rare.This chap (he was quite shy ) is in a sanctuary and was quite fit and healthy. Hope he is still good.

KaiTheIronHound
28-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Bushdoctor, i spent 4 years growing up in the bush around Townsville, which has far more crocs than bloody brisbane does, and you know what we did to avoid getting eaten by crocs? Stayed away from the water where there were crocs about. Pretty simple really, respect their space and you dont get eaten.

butchthedog
28-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Bushdoctor, i spent 4 years growing up in the bush around Townsville, which has far more crocs than bloody brisbane does, and you know what we did to avoid getting eaten by crocs? Stayed away from the water where there were crocs about. Pretty simple really, respect their space and you dont get eaten.

Common sense prevails, I would be giving them a wide berth myself.....

Bushdoctor
28-07-2013, 02:34 PM
True. But people dont do they.

KaiTheIronHound
29-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Thats there fault, not the crocs.