PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Wood To Make A Bow

Humakt
15-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I have myself a nice, straight, 6 1/2' long, Yew branch in the shed.
It's going to become a longbow.
But here's my question - when should I split it?
I'm not going to cut it down into a billet yet, but was thinking if I should split it in half (or quarters?) to help it dry. Would that be a good idea, or should I wait until the whole log has dried out (which obviously won't be until next year) before splitting it?
All advice gratefully accepted.
Cheers.

Thumbcrusher
15-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I would suggest that it depends on how thick the branch is. If its 3" across or under i would debark it and leave it whole to dry but if its fairly thick you could split it now. If you split thinner branches they sometimes warp spirally and this makes them no good for bow staves. Don't let it get too dry!

Humakt
15-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll split it now then - it's about 6" thick.
Cheers.

JonnyP
15-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Certainly split it now, before any splits appear..

MadZ
15-07-2013, 08:50 PM
6 inch log to season fully should be 6 years, year an inch, if you want to stop the ends opening up coat the fresh cut ends in wax a few inches, as for splits along the log you might struggle to stop them, but a good place to start a bow from would be a quarter, and then spoke shave only the back edge to the required tapper on both ends, so the draw is even and you off

have you thought of carving the thing to half your required shape and storing it like a turner would spin green wood bowls so they dont split open

if you have not all ready check out a guys site richard head, guys work is awesome http://www.english-longbow.co.uk/

also check out mike abbots book, green woodworking, working with wood the natural way, explains alot about the way,why and how wood dries and splits in certain ways

hope this helps you some

Madz