PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel Attacking a Ferret.

woodsman
14-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Over the last few days, my wife told me that while I was in work, a "Kestrel" was trying to get at my ferret in his cage.
I think he was quite safe as he was protected behind bars, but understandably he was doing his nut and hissing like a crazy ...

I thought it was doubtful that something as small as kestrel would go for anything as large as a ferret , and suggested it might of been a buzzard, but the wife is adamant that it was a kestrel. Has anyone else heard of Kestrel attacking ferrets ?

jus_young
14-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I would agree with you regarding the size aspect, but we know that the other species are always right!

woodsman
14-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I would agree with you regarding the size aspect, but we know that the other species are always right!
I'm afraid so ...:(

saxonaxe
14-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Doesn't sound like a Kestrel type stunt, Field Mice is more their mark I'm sure.
Time for diplomacy...Try..."yes dear, perhaps it was a short sighted Kestrel"...:rolleyes: ;)

MadZ
15-07-2013, 08:24 AM
personally i think that would be a fair scrap, but as for kestrels attacking things on a larger scale i see one chase a cat off, dont know if they had there eyes on the same prey but the kestrel came down and got something on the edge of the field so we stopped to watch and noticed a cat stalking the other side of the hedge row, then real loud noises like the cat had been hurt and a flash of bloodied ginger pussy come shooting past us, kestrel being a few feet away from where it had dropped into the field.

pretty sure buzzards scavenge more than they hunt but if nothing to scavenge then they would attack and a caged animal would be a good choice

is the ferret a pet or do you put him to work??

shepherd
15-07-2013, 04:11 PM
i would find it very very hard to believe a kestrel would attempt to take on a ferret. its true buzzards scavenge alot but do hunt alot too, regardless of the fact they have smaller feet than alot of birds of prey... dont rule out a bird that someone has lost.. keeping and flying birds of prey is becoming more and more popular and lots of people loose there birds for lots of reaons, mianly inexperience flying the bird when its too heavy... and if it is a cpative bird that has got out it will be very hungry if its been away for a couple of days and would be mroe likely to attack a ferret cage... show your mrs a photo of a harris hawk and see if thats anything like the bird.

woodsman
15-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Good call. When she heard all noise she, stuck her head out the window and shouted . Rather than flying off , it just dropped to the floor , turned around and then started having another go. She had to run outside in the end to shoo it away !

shepherd
15-07-2013, 04:27 PM
could well be a lost bird, you could check out the IBR (independant bird register) and see if anyone in your area has lost anything nearby.. may give you a clue

rossbird
15-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Never heard of Kestrels taking prey as big as ferrets, although it would not be impossible.
What about Sparrowhawk? a female can easily take pigeons and is much more common in gardens.

Ashley Cawley
15-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I would agree with you regarding the size aspect, but we know that the other species are always right!:happy-clapping:

I wonder if it'll visit again?

jus_young
15-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately if it is a captive kestrel it won't be around for long. The weight is so critical on small falcons that they don't have to lose too much before it becomes fatal. Good call on the IBR as many falconers do register their birds as the fees are so reasonable and if you do get the opportunity to see it yourself look at the legs and see if it has any rings or rather large looking straps of leather that the falconer would use for holding the falcon on the glove or perch. If there are any then I would put some scraps of meat out to keep it going and use the IBR to put a call out for another falconer to capture it.

JonnyP
15-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Nice one lol..

Sounds a strange one and maybe possible. Nature has no boxes..
My heart sank a bit when I read the title to this fred, cos my jills escaped a while ago and we only recovered one of them. I am still missing Ginger :0( I hope she is still alive out there somewhere..

Yungen of Bury
15-07-2013, 06:46 PM
personally, id be baiting the garden to despatch the beast... no matter the ilk, i little harsh maybe... but if some random creature had a go at my dog... well, im sure i dont have to go in to details hehe... though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea...

JonnyP
15-07-2013, 07:04 PM
personally, id be baiting the garden to despatch the beast... no matter the ilk, i little harsh maybe... but if some random creature had a go at my dog... well, im sure i dont have to go in to details hehe... though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea...

Not a good idea at all. Have a google search at the fines you get for killing birds of prey. You are on the wrong forum if you think thats a good idea..

saxonaxe
15-07-2013, 07:05 PM
" though im not sure on the laws around killing birds wild or not, so maybe it isnt such a good idea..."

If you spend time in the countryside, it's worth knowing about this...If only for your own protection.

" Wildlife Offences: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service"

T^

saxonaxe
15-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Not a good idea at all. Have a google search at the fines you get for killing birds of prey. You are on the wrong forum if you think thats a good idea..

Much better explained than my feeble attempt JonnyP.. ;) ;)

Mouse040
15-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I watched once as my friends tortoise was attacked by a kestrel resisting the urge to help as the thing was a good 12 inches in dim and it just pulled its bits in and waited the kestrel got bored and flew away 10 mins later the tortoise popped out as if to say is it finished yet
So a ferret is relatively small in comparison my experience is that wild birds of prey do silly things when injured or desperate maybe keep an eye out as the bird may be in need of your help

As regards to baiting a bop pop round my gaff ill make you some hemlock tea :mad2:

rossbird
15-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Well put Jonny, couldn't agree more.

woodsman
22-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Wouldnt dream of harming a bird of prey. No point trying to bait it. Any food left out of more than 5 minutes would be gobbled by the million and one other critters around here.
Bloody magpies keep trying to nick the ferret food. Don't mind shooting them buggers !

Silverback
22-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Cant believe you said that......These raptors have more right to be here than our domesticated pets, however passionate we feel about them. Wildlife and Countryside act packs some seriously heavy punch like 5 year plus jail terms and multi zero (like more than 5) fine amounts

Steve if you ever need any help pest controlling Im happy to pop down and join you :)

woodsman
22-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Steve if you ever need any help pest controlling Im happy to pop down and join you :)

Thanks, I'll let you know :-)

lynwill53
04-04-2014, 10:57 AM
I have just been to Egypt on hol and witnessed a Kestrel attacking a cat in dramatic fashion. It swooped from its high perch in the middle of a resort complex, and then put on a show worthy of a falconry display before its target, a small white cat, managed to tuck itself deep under a bush and the bird gave up.
I was astounded as I never thought a Kestrel would tackle something that big but, apart from Mr Osprey at the beach Kestrels were the only BoPs I had seen around the hotel. None of the many people sitting very nearby noticed a thing!

Valantine
04-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I have witnessed a Kestrel attacking a Magpie, I have also seen a male Sparrowhawk on the ground chasing mice, so anything is possible.
Just goes to prove nature IS a woman :confused2:

Chubbs
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi there lynwill53, welcome to the forum.

Pop into the intro thread and let us know a bit about yourself.

Cheers Neil