PDA

View Full Version : found these on a walk, can we eat them??

MadZ
09-07-2013, 07:31 AM
as the title says found these dunno what they are never seen these about before

FishyFolk
09-07-2013, 10:15 AM
The picture is so bad that I would not trust any evaluation of their edibility based upon it. And since some mushrooms out there will kill you, but only after leaving you in an agony for days that most people cant even begin to comprehend, id say no, you can't eat them.

Actuyally, as a rule of thumb. If you do not have first hand knowledge of what kind of mushroom it is, stay away from them. That said, there are a few species out there that is very difficult to get wrong. We started with the birch bolette (Leccinum scabrum). It does not have any dangerous look-alikes. (there is one, I cant remeber which one, that will make any dish you put it in taste terrible, but will not harm you).

Else, Ade PM Ade, he is quite an expert on wild edibles :-)

Rune

FishyFolk
09-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I'll just hammer my point home abiout identifying mushrooms by picture:

Here is two mushrooms.

9316 9317

One is a perfectly edible birch bolette, the other will kill you, but only after leaving you in agony for about 2 weeks, until you internal organs shuts down, and you die...lethal webcaps. They grow side by side in the forest. And are very easy to identify, but on this picture it's not so easy to see what kind they are, unless you really know. (the safe one is the one on the right)

MadZ
09-07-2013, 10:44 AM
ah nice one thanks for the reply i didnt actually notice that the pic was that bad i managed to get a few pics and this one was not the one i was ment to upload ill try get the other one up its alot clearer

i just wasnt sure as i have never seen them before but know a few types of shroom that grow local that are really nice like the puff ball mushroom for one

oh heres the other pic if it helps id them

Tony1948
09-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi MadZ it looks a little like Hedghog Fungus,,,,,,but wot do I now,I what till Ade comes on he'll now,you'll do well to get the small book Food for free.Be carfull.

MadZ
09-07-2013, 11:19 AM
cheers Tony, ill check it out, i have a book on shrooms somewhere but its not that good, thought i would ask here maybe someone can say a yay or nay from personal experience or greater knowledge than my own

Tigger004
09-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Is it worth the risk unless you are sure, or is life just depressing...lol
cheap at the supermarket?

luresalive
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM
If you have to ask what it is then you shouldn't risk eating it!

jus_young
09-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Please folks, just a reminder that although we don't ask you to refrain from asking for fungi identification, the replies given are only the opinions of our learned folk here based on limited information. The opinions should not be used as definitive.

David_JAFO
09-07-2013, 04:49 PM
hello,
quote;" If you do not have first hand knowledge of what kind of mushroom it is, stay away from them"
Regards
David
T^

rossbird
09-07-2013, 05:10 PM
It's not hedgehog mushroom:)

happybonzo
10-07-2013, 04:38 AM
It's not hedgehog mushroom:)

Google the images thingy

as you say
It's not hedgehog mushroom

AdrianRose
10-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi MadZ

The fungi in your picture is common Dryads Saddle mate.

All the best
Ade

MadZ
10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
thank you Ade, and everyone else who tried to help id these, ill do some more research on them and go back and get them if they are to be eaten, if not i got a cool picture of some mad looking mushroom

Geoff Dann
10-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi MadZ

The fungi in your picture is common Dryads Saddle mate.

All the best
Ade

I'm not sure they are, actually. Hard to be sure without a shot of the pores, but there's a good chance these are actually Polyporus tuberaster. Very similar to young Dryad's Saddle.

Wardy
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Love the knowledge on this forum, wild foods I know nothing about but I've just purchased a copy of "food for free" to start learning

Thanks Dan.

MadZ
10-07-2013, 08:27 PM
again thank you ade i will take my ass back to the spot and get some better pics asap, even if nothing comes of them there nice to look at

Geoff Dann
10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Both species are edible, if not choice.

MikeWilkinson
19-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure this is red cracked bolete. But could be another of the xerocomus family. Not going to eat it. But wouldn't mind having my suspicions confirmed.

Geoff Dann
19-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Pretty sure this is red cracked bolete.

Well, it's got pores, and the surface is cracked. Apart from that, it bears little resemblance to a red cracking bolete.

But could be another of the xerocomus family.

Xerocomus is a genus. The family is called Boletaceae. I'm pretty sure this is not a Xerocomus. I think it's probably Boletus queletii or maybe Boletus pulverulentus. Before they bruised blue/black were the pores yellow or were they orange? It's a bit hard to tell from the photo.

Tricky, those boletes. :)

MikeWilkinson
19-07-2013, 11:05 PM
They were yellow before bruising, also the flesh turns blue when cut. It was also yellow. I thought it was the same genus as red cracking as it is a very dry cap compared to other boletes?

Thanks for your insight. :D

_Matt_
20-07-2013, 12:22 AM
It's not rained for a long time so it will be dry because of that.

Geoff Dann
20-07-2013, 06:14 AM
They were yellow before bruising, also the flesh turns blue when cut. It was also yellow.

I think pulverentulus (Inkstain bolete) then, thought I'm really not sure. I wasn't joking - the boletes really are tricky, especially from photos.

I thought it was the same genus as red cracking as it is a very dry cap compared to other boletes?

As previous poster explained, a cracked cap at the moment may have something to do with the weather.

Red-cracked boletes, along with other members of Xerocomus, aren't generally this big/substantial.

MikeWilkinson
20-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks chaps. I think a deeper delve into the boletes as awhole needs to be added to my research list.

Would have helped if I had included that it was found on a grass verge by a horse paddock under a small copse of oak trees.

Geoff Dann
20-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks chaps. I think a deeper delve into the boletes as awhole needs to be added to my research list.

Would have helped if I had included that it was found on a grass verge by a horse paddock under a small copse of oak trees.

Latest Buczaki book (his italics):

----------------------------------------------
For Boletus chrysenteron (Red-cracking bolete)

...usu with beech, larch or rather frequently with cedar but sometimes with many other species also. Contrary to common belief, however, it does not occur with oak.
----------------------------------------------

:)

MikeWilkinson
20-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Ha ha ha. Well thats pretty definitive then. :D