PDA

View Full Version : What Pack does everyone use?

Notredame11211
19-01-2011, 04:01 AM
What packs do you guys use? For short trips I usually use a BCB 25 Liter daysack, and I haven't decided what to get for longer trips yet.....was looking at the Lowe Alpine Salient and Saracen.

JEEP
19-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Ortlieb Track 35 for longer hikes and Ortlieb Zip City S (14,5 L) for daily use/longer hikes.

I like the safety in knowing that both my packs are 100% waterproof, even if dropped into water.

Ben Casey
19-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi I have a old Military PLCE thing at the moment but will change it later for a lighter model as it is a ton just on its own.

Martin
19-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Really depends on what I'm doing. I have a Berghaus Vulcan Cyclops 2 for when I don't care about weight and I'm only carrying my kit in a short distance of say a mile. In fact, I guess I would use this most of the time as you don't have to fill it.

For nights out when I'm walking a long way in I have an Osprey Exos 58 pack. This is a fantastically light weight pack and copes well with loads up to about 15Kg. If things get much heavier than this you may be struggling but it is more than large enough to carry all you are likely to need for three or four nights out.

For day trips, I have a number or day sacks, which some may consider adequate for overnighters, like the Berghaus Dart 35. I can fit all my cooking equipment in here, along with brew kit, food, water and full waterproofs.

For an easy daytime bimble, I have the Fjallraven shoulder bag. This will fit my bushbuddy or other stove along with brew kit, sandwiches, water bottle, binoculars, camera etc etc.

All in all, I have about half a dozen packs that I use from time to time, depending on what I am doing and for how long.

Martin

robin
19-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I used to use a PLCE Long Back Bergen but found it uncomfortable and when it became wet it weighed a ton. I'm fairly tall at 6' 4" and found the Long Back Bergen hip belt around my waist and not my hips and so was useless. I believe it is meant to be worn over webbing which is why the hip belt doesn't sit on the hips. I also found that at 100L I was filling it up with everything I owned and carrying too heavy a load.

Nowadays I use a Highlander Pro-Force Trooper 45L, which I bought after seeing Ashley's review, and this suits me perfectly. I use it on all excursions of whatever length and find it comfortable and just the right size and shape for my needs. If I am out only for a day then I will use a small Hi-Gear Glendale 20L which I have had for many years and has outlasted many other day sacks I have owned.

chris grace
19-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Recently I changed from a pack weighing 3Kg to one weighing 880g,what a difference.I still carry the same amount of kit albeit lighter stuff.
I changed from a berghaus vulcan to a golite jam2,I use this as a daysack and as a backpacking sack for trips of over a week.

resnikov
19-01-2011, 10:00 AM
For day works a 35L Lowe Alpine thats I have had for donkeys, for anything long a 65L Karrimor that I got when i was 18, lasted well sofar so not going to upgrade. If it works why change it?

But would love a Lowe Alpine Sting if I could justfy the cost.

GaryBeaner
19-01-2011, 06:39 PM
To quote the saying: 'The bigger your rucksack the more ya kitchen sink it' Whenever I'm packing my bag I keep looking at things and asking 'do I really need that?' and more often than not the answer is no. I'm wondering what bits of kit have done countless miles in peoples rucksacks and never seen the light of day:ashamed:
I guess I'm asking.....If I'm going to spend time learning wild foods, fire by friction, the habitats of animals, flint knapping etc.......do I really need something to sit on? does my cup need to be titanium? my trousers Ventile? do i need to know the burning efficiency of one flatpack stove compared to another?
Anyway.........I'm sure you get the idea.

Ps, this is only light hearted before I upset anyone!!

Shewie
19-01-2011, 06:46 PM
For quick bushy over nighters I carry a Sabre 35 or 45 depending on the time of year and whether I hauling my hammock and underblankets etc. For lightweight weekends in the hills it's a GoLite Peak 40L.
To be honest though most of my trips these days are canoe based so it's 90L dry bags and waterproof boxes etc :)

wytchwood bushcraft
19-01-2011, 10:34 PM
EuroHike weekender 45 modified with a few extra pockets and straps does me for day out or week long trips only paid £6 in a bootsale so its a bargain lol

CanadianMike
19-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I recently bought a 65L pack (has a 22L smaller daypack zipped to the outside), and yes, filled it with most everything I have, which is actually a step down reduction for me. Lol, but seriously, I am paring down what I take, haven't taken it out yet, but have been enjoying loading it up. Honestly, it's a place to keep all my camping related stuff in the same place, will double as a suitcase when I need it too, but it's big enough to take clothes, tools, odds and ends, cooking stuff, wool blankets, a 'basha' when I get around to buying one, and such. Right now it's sort of a heavy 'Bug Out Bag', but when it comes time to travel light for a weekend away camping, I'll prioritize then as what to leave out and what to put in it's place.

OKBushcraft
24-01-2011, 03:03 AM
I have a US ALICE medium pack with frame for overnighters and such.

For a day hike, I use my French surplus gas mask bag/haversack.
In it I can take my
Brit surplus poncho,
25 feet of 550,
wooden spoon,
ferro rod,
BSA hand axe,
food and play things for the day.

I also use my US MOLLE II canteen pouch with 1 qt canteen, stainless cup, stove, fire kit, repair kit. It is on a 2" wide web shoulder stap.

Humakt
30-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I use either a Snugpak Sleeka Forces 35 or a Rocketpak, depending on how long I'm out for, time of year etc. The Sleeka Forces 35 gets used by far the most often.

garethw
30-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Large ALICE pack.. had it years. Rock solid, loads of room and cheap to buy.
cheers
Gareth

Bambii
30-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a Vango Sherpa 60+10L I think?

And i have a 40L swedish army rucksack, its really nice. Has leather straps and is canvas.

shovel reccy
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
i have a karrimor sabre 30 for day hikes or sumer over niters and a snugpack rocket and a plce bergan but allways seem to go back to the plce, would love a vulcan .

Realbark
08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Has anyone used the Highlander Proforce 25 or 33 litre packs? My 65l german pack has now become my BOB/Get me home pack and im looking for something smaller for day use with the odd sleep out. Thanks.

FrenchBen
21-02-2011, 09:49 PM
For my part, one pack only : Osprey Stratos 24 (actually 26 liters). Kinda agree with Gary Beaner, but I also like to have a minimum kit I always take with me, whatever the conditions.
I'd say my basic kit (including a tarp, a can etc.) fits in a volume of about 6 or 7 liters, so my pack is far from being filled.
With the camera, binoculars, sandwiches etc. there's plenty of room left in my pack.

Wood_Wose
05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
most of you guys talk about sub 40l packs, how big are your sleeping bags? or do you strap them outside in a drybag etc? this thread seems a bit broad, how about 4 scenario's......what packs would you use for a 3-day jolly in numerous environments:
Cold and Dry
Cold and Wet
Warm and Dry
Warm and Wet
these different scenarios will require different amounts and types of gear, for instance how would you manage a cold and wet 3 day jolly with a 40L pack?

im curious not critical.....

LandRoverMatt
05-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I have a 40-45 litre bag and not sure on the make may be some army one, not a highlander or vango not to sure

Silverback
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
depends what Im doing, how long and where. Standard hill sac for my 'other' activitiy is a Berghaus Extrem Pro. 40 L
For bushy / other stuff i have a Highlander Pro Force 33, a UK Forces Other Arms Bergan and an Outwell 65+10 for multi day stuff. I have one or two other 35/40 L packs kicking about too one Berghaus Airflow, and the other is a Deuter ski mountaineering pack

The only thing I will generally strap to the outside of a rucksack is my Karrimat/skis/snowshoes/ice axe and kit to dry otherwise nothing ever gets attached to the outside.

cuppa joe
05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Highlander pro-force 66....44 and a Berghaus arete 35..3730 the boss has an old Vango pumori 65 and a Eurohike wilderness 35 which have been used ....errr well I'm sure she has used them sometime.

JEEP
05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Lowe Alpine Vector Salient 70+20 w. extra side pockets - for longer hikes
Haglöfs Roc Hard 30 - for daily use and short hikes/dayhikes
Exped Cloudburst 25 (I keep my sleepingbag, Exped mat and inflatable pillow in this -when compressed it fits snugly inside the bottom compartment of my Salient. This way my sleeping gear is always dry and I have a light daypack at my dispoisal, once I have set up camp - a daypack that only adds 30 ekstra grams to my pack and takes up no extra space that is)
Ortlieb Zip City messenger bag (I don't use this one much anymore, I am thinking about filling it up with emergency gear and keep it permanently in our car)

ian c
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
I have many rucksacks/ bergans for a 3 day + trip i use a PLCE long back which have used for many years, i have many camelbak rucksacks small to large which i use for day hikes and occasionally over night, also have a issue daysack that i try not to use as trying to get away from DPM which is another reason that most of my rucksacks/ bergans are one colour mainly brown/sand or green that can be used almost anywhere from quick trip to the coast or bashering up in a wood and if needed can be placed on ground covered with a few ferns ect to cam it.

andy202wr
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I use a military style 65L. And odd pouches .Will post pics later.

GwersyllaCnau
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I use a 65L karrimor panther which I have never completely filled. No compression straps which I prefer as I just don't fully compress my sleeping bag, allowing it to loft slighty to fill unused space.

Juanodaxis
05-02-2012, 11:28 PM
My big bag is not that big actually, is a Berghaus Torridon 65L. But I haven't used this for anything other than walking, and never had it full to is max. I also got a Karrimor Urban 30L that I use a lot. It didn't cost me much, something like £10 or something like that, but I been using this to carry my shower stuff for work, so I may end up getting something else. The highlander Forces 44L on Green looks like what I want really. Also, I been thinking about making a sling bag with a dry bag to be able to carry under 30 litres.

treefrog
06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I like the safety in knowing that both my packs are 100% waterproof, even if dropped into water.

Me too. Most of the times that I use a pack, it involves canoe travel. I have a couple of waterproof Boundary Packs
from MEC...115 litres I think. I'm pretty impressed that after years of bouncing them off rocks and other general abuse,
they're still waterproof.

bare grills
06-02-2012, 08:17 AM
hi all , another vote for the Karrimor Urban 30L . got mine for peanuts at the sports direct january sale ;)
also use a surplus paratrooper shoulder bag ( like a mini (10" square) messenger bag ) for everyday stuff like work and weekend walks .

Dan XF
06-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I use a Sabre 30 which I used to use as a patrol sac. I can get my down bag and bivi bag in there with a wash kit, 3X3 tarp and hammock. That leaves a space at the top for food and a litech pot, whire box stove and spork with a 1 litre bottle and my warm jacket. I have a Snugpak Response pack strapped to the outside with food and honey stove in it and some meths and fire lighting/ tinder in it. I also keep a survival bag in there as well. I'm normally dressed in a buffalo mountain shirt and Ron Hills tracksters and have seal skin socks with KSBs on my feet. The little top pocket of the sabre will have a small boker knife in it with my waterproof trousers and some chocolate snacks with a small FAK. I use the lid to keep a karrimat in place. It doesn't weigh much and is good enough for 2 or 3 days. Any longer than that and I'd have to think about loading up the bergen and think about changing my nice little down bag for the extra comfort of my buffalo sleeping bag.

Juanodaxis
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Guys, I was considering buying one of the MOLLE assult bags, the 50 litres ones. I noticed that non of you use this kind of packs. I seen some of you using ALICE. Any particular reason as to why not using MOLLE assault bags?
I'll add a link to one here. Bare in mind that I have nothing to do with the shop. I'm just a happy customer.:ashamed:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patrol-Backpack-Tactical-MOLLE-Assault/dp/B004LSBYV6/ref=pd_sim_sg_49

CanadianMike
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Me too. Most of the times that I use a pack, it involves canoe travel. I have a couple of waterproof Boundary Packs
from MEC...115 litres I think. I'm pretty impressed that after years of bouncing them off rocks and other general abuse,
they're still waterproof.

You get what you pay for, and man, do they ever make you pay!!!!! Lol

I tend to think of Mountain Equipment Co-op as the "Arm and Leg" store, which is about what you pay with for most of their stuff. But after putting up with all the yuppies and weirdos that go there, and losing your arm and leg, you can walk away proud to have something that will last you a long time! I still have, in great shape, a MEC backpack that I used daily for almost 12 years, still going strong, even though I only use it occasionally the past few years.

Tedd
06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
camelbak bfm 500, awesome bit of kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSV0IY9ZhiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

comanighttrain
06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Snugpak Rocketpak - love this sack, especially that the side pockets come off and turn into day sack - this actually is very useful if your going by train and want to keep the most expensive kit very close to you - for example when paintballing i carry the tank and and marker or when outdooring can fit my sleeping bag and tent, spare clothes food etc sits in the main sack in luggage...

jus_young
06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Currently using a Vango Sherpa 60+10 but finding it a very narrow sac and not flexible enough for my way of packing. It worked for ground dwelling but now I have been converted to a life in the trees my requirements have evolved. I am a bit odd in this respect and like to have things organised and easily to hand.
New purchases for my evolution to a lighter way of life means that I am now going to get rid of this one and purchase something like a Sabre 45 and side pouches, not necessarily a lighter pack but would give me what I need.

treefrog
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
You get what you pay for, and man, do they ever make you pay!!!!! Lol

I tend to think of Mountain Equipment Co-op as the "Arm and Leg" store,

Most of my gear has come from the Farmers Co-op or the Fur Harvesters Supply store or similar good 'ol boy places,
but sadly there are some things you can only get at the Yuppy & Wierdo shop.

gabrielo
01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
hello everyone,

i recently bought the "Lastenkraxe (http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/b000g4xlgu/geizhalspre03-21/ref=nosim?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF)" by TATONKA. Along with a waterproof sack like those Ortlieb manufactures, it works as a outer frame backpack for heavier loads. Unlike a "normal" backpack, you are a lot more flexibel when it comes to packing size and weight. Also its very sturdy and much cheaper than a backpack in this category of use. With a good packsack tied to it it´s totally waterproof and more durable than a rucksack made out of a nylon kind of material.

AdrianRose
01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I use an ex-British forces Bergen. Excellent bit of kit, cheap as chips to buy and loads of storage space.

What more could you want. :)

Ade.

Ashley Cawley
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
The past year or two I've mostly used the Pro-Force Trooper 45 Rucksack (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/pro-force-trooper-45-rucksack-review.html) affordable and hasn't failed me yet :)

Fletching
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Sabre SF 45 with 2x 12.5l side pouches that also attach to a yoke for a daypack. Different size drybags inside.

happybonzo
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I bought a little 20+8L pack from JJB Sports and it's now lasted 5 years.

Kernowek Scouser
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
For years I've used bike bags for light afternoon hikes. I currently have a cracking Mountain Warehouse (http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/clothing/bikewear/-adrenaline-10l-bike-bag-p5634.aspx) bag which is 10L and big enough to carry water, waterproofs & gaiters, snacks, a map and waterproof case, first aid kit and basic survival gear (emergency shelter & blanket, Swiss army knife, survival whistle - which includes LED torch, a button compass, thermometer, signalling mirror and a dry space where I store wind-proof matches and a didy lighter). All fairly lightweight and there is space to spare for odds and sods.

For a heavier day hike, I use the Karrimor Urban 30L (http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-urban-30-rucksack-716122), which carries all of the above plus whichever brew kit happens to be my favourite at that moment in time, something more substantial to cook and eat, camera, more odds and sods. Last year I did manage a couple of stealthy overnighters, in local woods and secluded moorland with this 30L pack, but even with it packed to bursting and having gear strapped to the draw cord, I still had to improvise an additional bag attachment (fashioned from two Poundland kitbags and a fair bit of para cord) to accommodate my sleeping bag and mat. Okay, but far from ideal.

For my non wild campsite based adventures last year, I used my Gelert Core 65 + 10 (http://www.leisurefayre.com/product.php/102933/0) which easily accommodated everything I needed to take, plus an awful lot of stuff I should have left a home. Not the heaviest rucksac I've owned, but not the lightest either. Comfortable to wear though and it has lots of pockets, draw cords, hoops and loops which are very handy, but to big and heavy for a cheeky overnighter.

This year I am looking for a new bag (or combination of bag and pouch) around 35L - 45L in capacity, which would be better suited to overnighters and weekends.

​Watch this space!

Basha72
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I have the long back PLC with the additional yoke to create a day sack with the side pouches, I also have the 120l SAS/Para Bergen 1 of the waterproof ones and two of the old canvas A frame ones ( 1 is dated 1972 so the same age as me and still going lol)

I have a old cyclops roc which as seen better days, just use that to store things in it ! In the garage for everyday carry I use a highlander forces 44 or a Munro I have a couple of others also for bumbling around 20l ones etc

The thing with bergens/ rucksacks or whatever you want to call them it's another one of those bits of kit where people have backpack snobbery the person carrying it should be the only critic budgets and personal preference is what drive my purchases.

Basha

Kernowek Scouser
02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree, if it work for you, bugger what anyone else thinks.

BushcraftAndSurvival
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
i used military packs for years and i thought they were good when i was using them. There is a large problem with the PLCE range which does not become apparent either carry a heavy load for a long time or try a better pack.

The waist straps dont distribute the payload weight to your hips and legs. This is because the strap was designed to be worn on top of webbing. They had to position the strap so that it sit's on top of the webbing.

Without webbing the waist strap does not do it's job and all of the weight is on your shoulders and back. This is bad.

I'd recommend pretty much anything from the karrimor SF range, the sabre 75 (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3037-Karrimor-SF-Sabre-75-Review&p=39782#post39782) is particularly good and makes an excellent replacement for the PLCE bergen.

Its not snobbery, it's just that the PLCE is not really suitable for civilian use. If your not covering long distances and your not carrying much weight then i guess it's fine.

Basha72
03-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Like I said down to the person carrying it, no doubht there are better packs around, I've done plenty of miles walking and running with plenty of weight over Dartmoor and around snowdon and never had any issues with mine that's all I can say.

When I first started carrying packs it was all about getting the weight up over the shoulders and not pushing on the hips or small of back, principles and gear design change over the years but I'm ok as I am my days of tabbing around the hills are done lol

BushcraftAndSurvival
03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
To a degree, for men, it's still important to get the heavier objects at the top of the pack, this is for balance and load distribution (so the weight and force is going downward rather than pulling you backwards). You still want to let most of the weight sit on your hips and therefore your legs though.

Ideally you should be able to slacken your shoulder harness off so that it's not bearing all of the weight and then the pack should settle down on the waist strap. It's *much* easier to carry a load that way.

Try it out sometime and see which you prefer

Kernowek Scouser
03-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm definitely a chest / shoulder carrier. I'm fairly barrel chested and barrelled backed (if that makes sense). Whilst all the packs I have do have waist straps on them and I use them, it is more to stop the bottom of the pack flapping about, as it just kind of hangs of my shoulders / upper back, rather than sit flush on my lower back. Waist straps helping with weight distribution, just doesn't seem to work for me?

Maybe I have an irregular posture or a high centre of gravity, I don't know, but I do know bad backs and aching shoulders when carrying my rucksac, are something I rarely suffer from.

I do come from a long line of short men, who earned a crust lifting heavy loads, so maybe my pack carrying preference is genetic?

But all advice is welcome and I will give letting the waist straps taking the load a go again and see how that works for me.

Cheers,

Colin

BushcraftAndSurvival
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I dont think that you have an irregular posture, more likely a pack that is not adjusted to your build.

There is quite a good guide to that here - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/rucksack-guide

Scroll down to the rucksack fitting section and they explain is quite well.

It's worth a read, you'll be able to carry more weight or your existing weight for longer if you make use of the waist strap.

nsoutdoors
10-04-2013, 01:42 AM
My pockets for a few hours our... a paratrooper's satchel for longer day trips and an 80 liter rack pack for anything over 3 days.

sblog
10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I got a few:

PLCE Bergen - for when I just need to carry 'stuff'
5.11 Rush 72 - used mainly for work - it's not a hiking pack as has no waist strap, but built like a tank.
Osprey 45ltr (not too sure which model) - used for a hike up & around Snowdon
TNF Terra 35 - my daughter used this for our Snowdon trip

owen
10-04-2013, 01:23 PM
for weekenders i use medium alice pack. for bigger trips use berghaus vulcan... excellent rucksack had it for 15 years and not a single problem.

admo919
10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
i use a sabre 75, i have zipped my old PLCE pouch's on it so it fits all i need, great carrying bag, i dont tramp miles nowadays so it doesnt really make a difference to me, i like to take my comforts out with me now im longer in the tooth ;) and you dont get a waistline my size on ratpacs, so i need the space for the scran!......

i like it, and it fits me, im lucky im not really fussy and as i said wieght isnt an issue to a lazy old chunky monkey who likes to have a sip or two and a full belly ;-)

Bob W
10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I've got a 25l rucksack (http://www.drennantackle.com/viewProductFrame.php?id=287) that will take everything for a two night session. Thinking of one of THESE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350756434889?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619) for when weight isn't an issue, in the canoe or close to the car etc.

Funnily enough, fishing tackle manufacturers normally charge silly money for gear, but in the case of rucksacks we can usually find a bargain.

Kernowek Scouser
10-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I love threads like this :D

Further to my posts higher up, I now have several packs I use depending on need.

Summer Day Packs:

French Respirator Bag
In to which I can fit in a map, compass, notepad, pencils, Nato water bottle Crusader cup and cooker, mini fire kit, food, snacks, FAK, EPK (emergency poo kit) SAK, a my wood carving kit. I then wrap a poncho around the shoulder strap, zip my knee length gaiters around the poncho and off I pop.

10L Cycle Bag
As above, but I can fit the poncho and gaiters (or more snacks) in the pack, if I want.

Winter Day and Summer Overnighter Packs:

Lidl 25L pack
Which, when I get out for a hobble is my standard pack at the moment as it is remarkable waterproof. For a summer overnighter this pack can accommodate a hammock and tarp plus pegs and cordage, a jungle sleeping bag, cook kit, food, water bottle snacks, FAK, map, compass, note pad, pencils, wash kit, poo kit, wood carving kit, waterproofs and spare socks/extra warm clothing.

Karrimor 30L Urban (2011 version)
This was my standard pack, but now lets in water like nobody's business, but it on a dry overnighter it can accommodate all of the above or my Solo tent, instead of the hammock.

Overnight, Weekend or longer Packs:

Modified 50 - 60L ALICE style pack
This is currently my preferred longer adventure pack, its deep barrel like main compartment means there is less fiddling about packing gear and after a bit of modification, it sits very comfortably on my back. This pack can accommodate all the gear that goes in my summer overnight packs, both for ground dwelling or hanging, plus extra food and water for longer adventures, additional spare and warm clothing, my winter sleep system in cooler months, attached to the base of the pack, plus any other odd and ends I might want to take with me.

Gelert 85L Ruchsack
I can fit all of the above in this rucksack, including my winter sleep system at a phus, but this is much more awkward to pack and can be quite cumbersome to carry. Once I got the ALICE, I tended to use this pack as some folks seem to use their bergens, to put lots of gear into, then put in the back of a car.

At some point this year I'll probably get a lightweight, technical 40 - 50L pack for overnighters and weekenders, to give the ALICE a bit of competition, but I've yet to see one I really like.

In the meantime, I am thinking of getting one of these respirator bags (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181119313557) as it is a cheap, waterproof version of the one I have and a mini (25 - 30L) ALICE Pack (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/olive-drab-canvas-mini-alice-pack-358-p.asp) as it just looks quite a cool day pack and I reckon it would be big enough to enable hammocking overnight in the summer.

All good fun :D

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Berhgaus munro absolutely bomb proof and forces traveling light, karrimor sf or camelback bfm are good shouts too.

-mick

snowleopard
01-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Vango 25+4 pack for me! Small, but with a bit of string it fits everything I need in it.

saxonaxe
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Bog standard 120 litre Infantry Bergen and a Highlander 35 litre daysack..which I had to buy !!:shocked: :D

Yungen of Bury
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Highlander pro-force forces 99L, its absolutely massive, more room than i actually need but id rather have more room than i need, than not enough.. having this though im planning on getting a 65L (think its called the 66) for the shorter stops out, and so i can share the load with my misses :evilgrin: though im sure ill be carrying the 99 still..

ADz
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Osprey Exos 46L. Lightest internal back frame backpack you can get. Have recently purchase a Lowe Alpine Strike Bergen which is what I'll be using for meet in couple of weeks I think.

AdrianRose
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I've been using a 120ltr ex-forces Bergen for 20+ years but sadly it is no more and has shuffled off this mortal coil. However, my current pack which is fantastic is the Swedish Army LK35.

A brilliant pack with an external metal frame, waterproof inner and tough as a rhinos back end.

It holds a phenomenal amount of gear for its deceptively small size. I used it in my June 2013 camp video.
It also has an integrated axe loop that fits the Gransfors SFA perfectly.

And all that for £15.99

Ade

alvino78
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
sabre 45 with rocket pouches!!T^

Silverback
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
And all that for £15.99

Ade

eyup bargin price that cock, atta shoor thas not from Yorkshire...... ;)

OakAshandThorn
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Currently use LL Bean Continental rucksack (33 litres, made of recycled polyester) for most of my outings, but I'm in the market for something a bit larger (40-45l).

originaloutdoors
02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
I use either a British Army Bergen or an Osprey 80-litre bag for long trips, and a Macpac 50-litre or Osprey 45-litre for 1 and 2-nighter trips. I use the larger bags for overnight trips with work due to the extra kit required.

Until recently I used a 5.11 Tactical Rush72 for MRT stuff - great for organisation of kit you need to get to in a hurry, but not so good for bulky items like sleeping bags or tarps so very role-specific.

The LK35s are great - I use them to transport group kit up into the forest.

AdrianRose
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
eyup bargin price that cock, atta shoor thas not from Yorkshire...... ;)

Even better mate, I'm part Romany so we can sniff a deal from the other side of the universe!!

Ade

MASC703
06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I just use my USGI Alice pack. The OD green variety, no woodland camo print.

Capsos
08-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Still using my old US Vietnam Alice pack with frame. Holds loads. And well fitting. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/a6e7uqem.jpg

FishyFolk
08-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Finally gor myself a decent one. The Norrøna Recon Pack. Holds 125 litres where the detacable side pockets alone are 30 liters. And they can be used as a day pack. and come with a built in yoke for that.
I need one this large as what I can fit in the main compartment is my sleeping bag. Then I can press in my tarp and my Jerven bag in eack back corner and it's full...lol

Then the under quilt goes in the bottom compartment togther with a drybag with spare clothes and cooking kit. Etc. Food goes in the lid compartment. Side pockets hold tarp on one side, hammock on the other + any extra knives etc. Axe goes behind the left side pocket. Fishing rod behind the other. Closed foam mat on toip as I use it to sit on during breaks and in camp.

Oh and it's an external pack frame bergen...so it's very strong. Norwegian Special Forces used it...our SAS. Min is the old type...

jacko1066
18-04-2014, 02:24 PM
I have a Lowe alpine Appalachian trail which is up to 90 litres if I need to take loads of gear. Currently have a sabre 45 with side pockets but I'm looking to move that on to buy a lighter weight pack.

ADz
23-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Got various others not in use but ones I'm currently using are...

Snugpak Rocketpak - This is used for woodlands or places not far from car/station.

Osprey Exos 46 - This is used for when I want/need to go lightweight as its only around 1kg but has proper back system.

I've now got a MLD Exoudus on order which looks like a really nice UL pack. Can't wait for it, my Trailstar and rest of MLD gear to arrive :)

Pootle
23-04-2014, 07:59 AM
I use a Berghaus Centurio 30 for day trips, field work, etc. Had it a couple of months and not used it for over-nighters yet.
Got a simple shoulder bag If I don't need much kit but need it accessible; Bins, camera, couple of field guides etc.

Valantine
23-04-2014, 10:16 AM
I recently got a Swedish army LK70 for longer trips and use a cheap 25L for days out