PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a Convex Bevel

Martin
16-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Right experts!!!!

I've just bought one of these:

http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/images_products_large/4941.jpg

Which is a Condor Bushlore knife from Heinnie Haynes. It's lovely looking knife and has a nice feel to it.

Now, the 'problem' is, this new knife is going to take a lot of work to get sharp. Well, to get proper sharp anyway. Out of the box, it feels blunt!!!

When you're sharpening a convex bevel knife, you use the mouse mat and emery paper right?? I'm doing the same but don't seem to have made any impact on the knife. I've done well over 300 passes on both sides of the blade and apart from it being shinier, it doesn't seem to be any sharper.

Do you think the angle of the blade against the emery paper makes a great deal of difference on a convex bevel? I'm holding it pretty much along the angle of the existing bevel, and I can feel some resistance on the paper but, like I said, I don't seem to be making much head way.

Any thoughts?

Martin

greenpete
17-11-2010, 07:26 PM
This is a tricky one!
I would put the knife in my jig and modify the holder to take an oil stone to get it flat, maybe you have or could make a jig like the one in my video (http://www.greenpete.co.uk/knife-making/knife-making-video/)?
Depending on how convexed it is will determine the time it will take.
If it's very convexed a (radical) way would be to remove the handle and soften the blade to make it easier to work and use my jig to file it flat, then re-harden and temper.

Matt
17-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Martin, when you say emery, are you actually refering to emery cloth or possibly to wet and dry, and therfore maybe starting with too fine a grade. Feel free to pop round and we'll have a play with your new purchase.

Regards, Matt.

Martin
18-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Hey Martin, when you say emery, are you actually refering to emery cloth or possibly to wet and dry, and therfore maybe starting with too fine a grade. Feel free to pop round and we'll have a play with your new purchase.

Regards, Matt.

Ahh, good point Matt. It's 1500 grade wet and dry, which is quite fine but I wouldn't think too fine.

I'm off to Bristol this weekend, and then I've got my trip to Dartmoor next week but I will take you up on that offer maybe next weekend.

Thanks for the reply mate

Martin

Matt
18-11-2010, 05:17 PM
1500, I think you may have been polishing its bluntness, lol. Look forward to seeing you whenever you can get here :)

Cheers, Matt.

Ashley Cawley
18-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Ahh, good point Matt. It's 1500 grade wet and dry, which is quite fine but I wouldn't think too fine...
I think it might be too fine for what your trying to do bud, you said it was quite blunt by the sounds of it, you could do with removing material faster than 1500 wet'n'dry by hand.

Can't way to have a feel & a go on the finished article though ;)

Martin
18-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Right, well I think a visit to a certain farm house near St Columb is in order. :)

Martin

Martin
02-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Right guys, I've just come across this resource for sharpening a convex bevel.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pages/Sharpening-Videos

Some really good tips and explains the process really well.

Martin

Tony1948
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Martin, nice knife ,try the lether belt strop with some valve grinding past on it,it works for me I only ever strop.