PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a blacksmith..

Wardy
03-07-2013, 10:32 AM
I have access to old scrap metal coil springs,exhausts, etc.

I wonder if there was anyone local that would like to trade a pile of said scrap metals for a full stick tang blade or 2.

Thanks Dan.

Adam Savage
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Not sure whether the exhausts would be much use, but the coil springs are great for making tools from. You may struggle to find a smithy that would trade though, if they didn't know you. Most have free sources for metal, such as local garages :(

If you have a nice big chuck (about 4" x 4" x 12") then that might be a different matter if it's 1040 or similar :)

Wardy
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Ok thanks Adam worth a try ;) before I buy.

How much do you heave for a blade btw?

Wardy
03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
How much do you 'charge' for a blade btw?

That's was supposed to read :)

Adam Savage
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Pricing depends on size and style really, but Forum threads aren't really the best place to discuss such things. Are you attending the northern soul meet this month?
Sure we can work something out :)

Wardy
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks Adam,
Sadly can't make the northern soul meet :( but when I'm ready ill message you.
I have a my first knife project underway at the moment aswell as working on a svord peasant :)

Will be in touch though I'm loving crafting this knife :)

Adam Savage
03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Been watching your progress with the Svord, Looking great.

dave budd
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm sure if you take some springs along to any bushcraft gathering, you will be able to swap them for something that you like. Most hobby smiths will be after them for free, cheap or trade.

Professional smiths will either have a supply as Adam says, or far more likely will be buying in virgin steels instead. Certainly I only buy virgin steel for my blades and tools, there is just no knowing whether old springs etc are damaged (micro cracks) or what the alloy is (and thus iffy heat treat and working temps).

Adam Savage
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm sure I saw a coil spring under your canvas at one of the Cornwall RVs. Not last one, but the one before ;)

dave budd
04-07-2013, 06:00 AM
nope. that was Tristan. He uses them for teaching folk to make knives ;)

I use 1/2" round bars of EN45 spring steel for teaching and forging blades from at shows, probably the same stuff but I KNOW it is in good condition and i KNOW the chemistry

Don't get me wrong, old springs can and do make good tools. Many of the tools I use in my own workshop are made from scrap. I'm happy to use whatever rubbish is close in size and near to hand for my own use, I just wouldn't be happy to sell something to a customer if there is arisk of a flaw.

Adam Savage
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
nope. that was Tristan. He uses them for teaching folk to make knives ;)

I use 1/2" round bars of EN45 spring steel for teaching and forging blades from at shows, probably the same stuff but I KNOW it is in good condition and i KNOW the chemistry

Don't get me wrong, old springs can and do make good tools. Many of the tools I use in my own workshop are made from scrap. I'm happy to use whatever rubbish is close in size and near to hand for my own use, I just wouldn't be happy to sell something to a customer if there is arisk of a flaw.

Ahhh, must be my poor memory again lol.
I don't blame you for using virgin steel, with the quality of the work you produce. Don't need something as petty as snapped tip to ruin your reputation :(