PDA

View Full Version : honey stove / kitty litter

biker-bri
03-07-2013, 08:38 AM
The title says it all really has anyone used the honey stove with wood pellet kitty litter, and where is the best place to buy the litter or is there a recommended brand to use.
cheers Bri.

Whistle
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Bri

Would think the wood pellet litter would just fall through the larger vent holes in the Honey's baseplate...

You might have to put some fine mesh or expanded mesh over the baseplate to stop'em falling through...

Not tried the litter in my Honey , I tend to use it as a windshield / pot support with my meths burners ,

but it burns real good in my wood gas burning stove and a stove full of pellets burns for hours !!!

I just use the stuff from the local pet store , Pettex , pine fresh wood pellets , Pampuss cat litter ,

comes in a 5 Litre bag for £2.49 !!! Cheap as chips .... well wood chips anyway Ha ha ha !!!

It burns really well in my gasifying stove as it is such a dense fuel , better than any hardwood ,

but it might be a bit hard to light in a normally aspirated Honey Stove ....

I'd try getting a decent burn going and then add the pellets gradually so as not to extinguish your normal fuel...

Good luck , lettuce know how you get on !!!

Cheers ATB Whistle

Chubbs
03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Bri

I use the kitty litter from Tesco mate. Its their own brand 'Ultra Absorbent' one in a brown 10 litre plastic bag.

Its less than three quid a bag and lasts ages.

fish
03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
saw a chap using it atthe bison farm last weekend.

biker-bri
03-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - with a little luck the stove will be here tomorrow and I will give it a trial burn as soon as poss T^

ADz
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
As mentioned the pellets will likely fall through the bottom plate so probably best to make a plate to go on top of the bottom with smaller holes or maybe bit of tinfoil. There is also the door of the stove unless you can source another side plate to use instead of door, if not you wont be able to fill it up very high unless you put some wood in there to block it.

In wood gasifier stoves like the Wild Stove you burn from the top down with pellets because of way its designed but not sure if honey would do that because of it having no chambers and more air inside etc.

I haven't tried pellets in my honey but its probably best to layer sides and bottom with wood/twigs and use pellets on top of these once going.

Tigger004
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
As already said, they work well in a wood gas stove ( my favorite fuel ) but when they start to breakdown the ash can suffocate the burn process ( removing oxygen from the fire triangle )
The brand I use is animal dreams, only because I saw it being used in the wild woodgas stove video, and some posted that they had bought some (Sainsbury's) I think it was which he could not get to burn.

ian c
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
As I use the wood pellets in the ferret hutch I have bought them from tescos, asda, even the pound shop and have tried them in my wild stove and found them to work some light easier than others, at moment am using a 30 ltr bag that I got from a farm supplier for £8 and they work in the wild stove, I also use waxed paper to help get it to burn.

ADz
04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
As already said, they work well in a wood gas stove ( my favorite fuel ) but when they start to breakdown the ash can suffocate the burn process ( removing oxygen from the fire triangle )
The brand I use is animal dreams, only because I saw it being used in the wild woodgas stove video, and some posted that they had bought some (Sainsbury's) I think it was which he could not get to burn.

I confirm the Animal dreams lights easy and burns great (In wood gas stove). When the ash builds up at bottom simply give its a couple of taps on side or stir from top and it falls out letting oxygen through ;)

biker-bri
04-07-2013, 10:25 PM
The stove arrived today, excellent service from DD as always - I will try to get some st st triangular mesh from a local motor factor to close up the door and the base and then give it
a go with the pellets. Cheers for now Bri

Adam Savage
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Does it work any cheaper to use wood pellets designed for burning?

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2524536-Two-10kg-bags-of-Balcas-Brites-Premium-Wood-Pellets.html

Whistle
04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
The stove arrived today, excellent service from DD as always - I will try to get some st st triangular mesh from a local motor factor to close up the door and the base and then give it
a go with the pellets. Cheers for now Bri

Yeah way to go Bri .... remember to take care if the mesh is galvanised don't breath the fumes !!!

Cheers Whistle

Whistle
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Does it work any cheaper to use wood pellets designed for burning?

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2524536-Two-10kg-bags-of-Balcas-Brites-Premium-Wood-Pellets.html

Yeah Adam it would , but the cost of the initial outlay would be too great ... ok if you are using a pellet burning central heating system at home ,

but for a couple of trips to the woods hills or beach it would take a long time to use even 20 Kilos and storage may be a problem ...

I had to throw away a couple of Kg because it had done its job and absorbed a lot of moisture out of my cold damp garage through the winter !

Cheers Whistle

biker-bri
05-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Yeah way to go Bri .... remember to take care if the mesh is galvanised don't breath the fumes !!!

Cheers Whistle

Qualified welder - been there done that :( its the worst case of man flu you can have, 24 hrs of shivering, shaking and seeing the contents of your gut's - not recommended

Adam Savage
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah Adam it would , but the cost of the initial outlay would be too great ... ok if you are using a pellet burning central heating system at home ,

but for a couple of trips to the woods hills or beach it would take a long time to use even 20 Kilos and storage may be a problem ...

I had to throw away a couple of Kg because it had done its job and absorbed a lot of moisture out of my cold damp garage through the winter !

Cheers Whistle

Now that you say, it does make sense :)

Whistle
05-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Qualified welder - been there done that :( its the worst case of man flu you can have,

Roger that Bri .... Enjoy the Honey

Cheers ... Andy Whistle

Blackwing
16-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Been using some wood pellets in my biolite which seems to work really well, can't remember the name as I've decanted it into a Nalgene bottle to keep it dry and the rest is in the bag in the shed and I can't be bovvered to get off my a££ to find out what it was. Never tried it in the honey stove.

biker-bri
17-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Sorry everyone, not had chance to try the honey stove with wood pellets as yet - too many projects have gotten in the way plus I have been running back n too to the hospital
with the wife - as soon as I get chance I will give it a go .
Cheers Bri

woodstock
19-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I have tried the wood based kitty litter in my BushBuddy without much success all I got was a smolder, I have a whole bag so I will try different combinations to see if I can get it to work properly and let you know the results.

ADz
21-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I have tried the wood based kitty litter in my BushBuddy without much success all I got was a smolder, I have a whole bag so I will try different combinations to see if I can get it to work properly and let you know the results.

Some brands of pellets are hard to light or get going.

I got the Animal dreams like in the wild stove video and they work great.

Just stick a bit of tinder card/wax paper in and let it do its thing. Once going it burns from top down (on gasifiers)

BJ
21-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Bri

I use the kitty litter from Tesco mate. Its their own brand 'Ultra Absorbent' one in a brown 10 litre plastic bag.

Its less than three quid a bag and lasts ages.

same here, I use these in my wood gas stove and they last ages and burn away to nothing.

TinkyPete
21-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I have used several different brands and they work well in my bushbuddy and honey stove and my pocket stove well.

woodstock
15-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Some brands of pellets are hard to light or get going.

I got the Animal dreams like in the wild stove video and they work great.

Just stick a bit of tinder card/wax paper in and let it do its thing. Once going it burns from top down (on gasifiers)

I'll give it another go as its a light weight convenient fuel source.