PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from the North west ? - Lancashire, Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside...

klause
19-01-2011, 01:39 AM
For anyone wishing to meet up with people from the Northwest as there are no N/W groups (as far as i'm aware).

I'm from Newton, just off the East Lancashire road at Haydock Island...Thanks...

MikeWilkinson
13-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey buddy, not far from you. I'm in Blackrod near Bolton, just off of the M61 (Three miles southwest of the bloody big antannae on winter hill). Right on the edge of the west penine moors. I'm out on the hills pretty much every night.

klause
14-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Mike & thanks for replying.
Your the first person from Lancashire way i've spoke to on here! I'm pretty new to this bushcraft lark to be honest with you, nearly got my kit sorted (ive enough to go out with the boy for a couple of days) gona have a right good go at it this year......

We want to achieve fire via the bow drill meathod, fire without modern help wouldn't that be something to learn with my boy?

basicbushcraft
14-02-2011, 06:08 AM
hey you both doin meet up im from farnworth

MikeWilkinson
14-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Basic, Klause

That looks suspiciously like Wilderswood your in there.

I didn't get out much over night last year, Work and family commitments :( This year isn't really looking much better to tell the truth, but I'm going to try and make an effort a bit more. I'm out pretty much every night on the moors from 1900 till 2100 and I am out for a several hours most weekends. With spring coming I'm gonna be teaching my little un a bit more and getting her out doing some Rock climbing too.

On my evening rambles with the hound I usually devote a lot of my time to one Bushcraft activity or another, be it debris shelter building and fire lighting to wood carving and making cordage. I also do a fair bit of foraging in the spring and summer - there is plenty of ramsons, wood sorrel, saxifrage and other delights around here - Dandelion and burdock beer being a must every spring!

As Ashley will no doubt testify to - I am a bit of a Birch nutter and love finding new ways to use this wonderful resource that we have in abudance around here, so make quite a lot of Birch containers, spoons, cups and also bark knife sheaths, as well as using it for fire lighting and the sap for wine!

Klause, I played around with fire by friction last year, Can pretty much get an ember everytime and have lit the odd fire with it - even in the snow. More than willing to give you a few useful pointers, biggest hint is make sure you get good wood when first starting out, then as you get the skill dialled move onto more difficult woods and situations, I'm hoping to be able to get it to work with wet wood this year.

Give me a PM or a shout on here if you fancy meeting up, even if it is just for a few hours on a weekend or evening, I'm pretty flexible with where I can get to, but if you can get over here there are loads of great little places to use for 'crafting.

klause
14-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks Mike, Basic.
It is good to know that there are some 'Bushcrafters within reach of where we live and i would love to meet up sometime and get to know you both. There are some places where we live but they are often visited by morons and therefore no too safe for overnighting, so it would be us who would most probibly have to travel to a meet.
I see that the both of you are experienced bushcrafters, so any knowledge that you could possibly pass on to my son and i would be most welcome and greatly appreciated. (i have a yearning to make a 100% natural fire)...
I am currently studying for my finals and need to be handing in numerous assignments ! (3 by Monday ! - "the pressure")....but hopefully i'll need a break and what would be a better way to unwind than by meeting some new people and learning some new skills.....

So thanks again for replying and I hope we can encourage others from our area to join us in some bushcrafting.....
Klause & Son....

Countryman
24-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Folks
I'm Brian from Preston and also new to Bushcrafting and have got some kit togeather for hammocking but am struggling to fine suitable locations. I'm not frightend of the cold in fact I think those crisp bright frozen days and nights are the best. Would also love to lern some bushcraft tecniques and skills.
A local meet sounds like a great idea lets find some time and dates
Brian

klause
25-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Brian, welcome to nb.
I am currently studying for my final exams so after that i'm up for a meet, glad to hear from you and hope tp speak soon.

thanks Brian..........Iain and Jack.

basicbushcraft
21-03-2011, 10:34 PM
hey anyone up for a quick over night over rivington moors some time

MikeWilkinson
22-03-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm game Basic, right on my doorstep, I'm up there everynight anyway.

Where and when?

Countryman
25-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm game
just let me know where and when
Brian

klause
29-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Is anyone going to the Cornwall RV ?

basicbushcraft
31-03-2011, 06:09 PM
when do you fancy an overniter pal

basicbushcraft
31-03-2011, 06:10 PM
hey mate when you do you fancy a meet up pal

klause
31-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes ive got exams till May 16th, but i'm thinking of going somewhere next weekend - as a reward for working hard !

Where was you thinking of BB ?

basicbushcraft
31-03-2011, 09:08 PM
over rivington pal or where you got in mind

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I used to be a Lancastrian, born n bred on the marshes of Warton, but I left in '96, and in a long roundabout way, settled in Cornwall. Used to go camping up rivvie when I were a kid, but spent most of my camping days in the Forest of Bowland (not much forest, but loadsa moorland btw).
Sorry to intrude gents, mead be flowing, and I got all nostalgic ;)

klause
31-03-2011, 09:37 PM
over rivington pal or where you got in mind
I'll be up for some of that BB, is it good over there?

Sorry to intrude gents, mead be flowing, and I got all nostalgic
Not at all road kill, you can get all nostalgic with us lot anytime lol, what you drinking?

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Not at all road kill, you can get all nostalgic with us lot anytime lol, what you drinking?

This stuff...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5577540859_1005753b34.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/5577540859/)Cornish Mead :D (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/5577540859/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

Its great, even better passed around the fire :D

klause
31-03-2011, 09:53 PM
hahaha nice one Phil, i thought you messing when you said mead - is it strong ?

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 09:58 PM
hahaha nice one Phil, i thought you messing when you said mead - is it strong ?
:D
This ones 14%, just nailed a bottle and I'm Verrry happy. There is a 17% version, but it tastes a bit sickly and less of honey than this stuff. I prefer the 14% purely for the honey flavour.

basicbushcraft
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
anyone up for this over nighter then lol

MikeWilkinson
03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry Guys, I've been over in france all week with work, Thinking overnight next saturday/sunday.

I'll be out either way so please feel free to join me. I can't decide where would be best yet, Either Wilderswood or in the terrace gardens. There is also Lead mines clough and out about Anglezarke, might do a few reccces during the week.

Drop me a mail if your interested, Klause if you need picking up let me know and I'll get over to you or meet you at a train station which ever is easiest.

basicbushcraft
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
sound good pal

Countryman
03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Saturday/Sunday sounds good, Will just need to check with the family as Wifes Bday this week.
Please let me know where
Regard
Brian

MikeWilkinson
03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Just had a thought, how many of you are hammockers and how many are ground dwellers, just so I don't pick anywhere unsuitable for peeps on the ground.

Countryman
03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm a Hanger

klause
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I realy can't wait to see all your hammock set ups, but as yet we'll be in our tent - we are definately up for a night out - just waiting on your choice for location....

basicbushcraft
04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
im a hanger and ground dweller lol

MikeWilkinson
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Was out with anthony today, we have found a good site for a meet up around tockholes plantation no3 near Darwen. I plan to be there around 1800ish on Sat evening, leaving late Sunday morning. PM me if you are interested in joining us and I'll give you better directions and grid reference.

klause
04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
tockholes plantation no3 near Darwen.

where's that Mike? so i can google earth it..

Countryman
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Just to confirm I'm OK for Saturday
Brian
PS will PM You Mike

basicbushcraft
05-04-2011, 02:00 AM
great location found today with mike on the recce

basicbushcraft
05-04-2011, 08:16 PM
great stuff pal be a good do on saturday

MikeWilkinson
06-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi guys,

Went out and recce'd the car park and walk in last night, it is about 10 mins, so nice and easy for everyone.

After a few queries from people, I'm pretty sure that most of us have never been to a meet before and so don't know what to expect. I'm in the same boat, and although it appears I am arranging this, I haven't a clue as to what you all expect.

I'm planning for a simple meet and greet get together for this first meet and to get some input for future ones - i.e some knowledge sharing and skills workshops.

If you have any particular things you want to do this time around let me know so we can hopefully make this overnighter meet your expectations.

klause
06-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Looking forward to it Mike - bow drill fire making would be nice ! There's my suggestion anyway....lol.

MikeWilkinson
06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
I'll show you what I can Iain, Anthony might be a better tutor on that subject though. There is certainly a good selection of willow there. Some Sycamore too.

klause
06-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks Mike, i am sure everything will go fine on, hopefully, our first of many meet ups for NB Northwest contingent...

I will give you a bell tomorrow to sort things out pal...

Thanks Iain and Jack..

basicbushcraft
07-04-2011, 09:06 PM
how it goin mike you been upto the lacation agen

anthony

Countryman
08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Had a Wander up to location yesterday, Just hung my hanmmock and sat and watched the birds for an hour or so, What a loverly place, with plenty of veriaty of birds with woodpeckers, nuthatches and plenty of tits and finches. I did feel a bit exposed to the road and dog walkers though, but as the carpark near by close early it shouldn't be a problem.
Looking forward to meet and greeting you all
Brian

MikeWilkinson
08-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi Brian,

Late evening the place is pretty much deserted, the odd rambler and dog walker but not too bad, if you go far enough into the stand of pines then the road isn't really a problem.

This end of the woods isn't half as busy as the other end near Tockholes village itself. Unfortuantely for us, there aren't many large wooded areas this far south in Lancashire, up on the moors there are a few out of the way spots, but these are really only suitable for hammockers as the terrain is really undulating. It is easier for solo or pairs as you can be a little more discreet.

The area should suffice though.

Last night was the first night that I've not been up there this week.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Countryman
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM
A great meet & greet last night with Mike ,Ian & Jack, weather perfect for an overnight in the woods.
And what a breakfast
Thanks once again Mike for setting that up
Brian
PS I will insert the Photos when I work out how to
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1066&d=1302429000

basicbushcraft
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
hi guys sorry couldnt make the meet mike, ian, jack, brian i ve had to have my fingers repaired due to re snapping the tendonn's so cant do any bushcraft for next 6 week defo be on next meet if thats ok guys

klause
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
A great meet & greet last night with Mike ,Ian & Jack, weather perfect for an overnight in the woods.
And what a breakfast

I'll second that Brian, me and the boy had a great time. i'd like to thank you both for the info shared and the advice given to me and my son (he's still got ten digits lol).
I even liked the wild salad leaves Mike gave me, and his nettle soup - but i enjoyed Brian's Jura more lol..... See you both soon i hope.....

P.S. - i'll put a vid on Mike when i sus that bow drill out (thanks again for that...).

hi guys sorry couldnt make the meet mike, ian, jack, brian i ve had to have my fingers repaired due to re snapping the tendonn's so cant do any bushcraft for next 6 week defo be on next meet if thats ok guys
Dont worry bout it BB we'll all get together again soon pal...

MikeWilkinson
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Was a pleasure meeting you gents. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Great company, great weather, lovely location (great whisky!!). I think the evening served its purpose in introducing ourselves. Next step to do a full weekend with a bit of knowledge sharing and workshops.

Hopefully get a few more to join us too.

Thanks again guys, look forward to the next one

Mike

Nature Unleashed
17-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, I am from Feniscowles in Blackburn. Quite new to bushcrafting but not new to camping. I would love to get out for weekend if I have the time. Sounds like you guys really know what your talking about which would be great to talk and learn from :)

basicbushcraft
17-04-2011, 10:02 AM
hi mate pleasure to join us

im show we can sort somthing out im always willing to help with new skills

www.basicbushcraft.org.uk

Hey guys, I am from Feniscowles in Blackburn. Quite new to bushcrafting but not new to camping. I would love to get out for weekend if I have the time. Sounds like you guys really know what your talking about which would be great to talk and learn from :)

MikeWilkinson
18-04-2011, 08:42 AM
As I have said before, I'm out most evenings up on the moors between Bolton and Blackburn. And I'm pretty sure we will be getting out for an overnighter again in the not too distant future, you are more than welcome to join us at any time. More than happy to share what ever knowledge I can.

Nature Unleashed
18-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Cheers guys, it sounds like fun :)

klause
18-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Nature,
It is fun, especially when they're teaching you the constellations after a bottle of Jura....hahaha!!!

MikeWilkinson
18-04-2011, 09:40 AM
:p more like arguing over the constellations after a bottle of Jura... :p

klause
18-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Hahaha. yes, you & Brian were - i remember thinking "right, i now know how to find North, that'll do for me!"

Nature Unleashed
18-04-2011, 01:43 PM
LOL, I am already familiar with the constelations, gotta love the night sky, I could be doing with a smaller scope or better bino's for when im out in the field at night, saves carrying my beast lol

Lukeyp23
26-04-2011, 11:41 AM
For anyone wishing to meet up with people from the Northwest as there are no N/W groups (as far as i'm aware).

I'm from Newton, just off the East Lancashire road at Haydock Island...Thanks...

Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie to Bushcraft, although I've done camping etc in the past. I live in Preston so not too far away from you lot. Would love to get some advice, basic kit list to get together and I might join you for a night if that's ok - seems like you had a productive and eventful, alcohol induced evening!

Any info regarding the basic kit list would be appreciated.

Regards,

Luke

basicbushcraft
26-04-2011, 11:45 AM
great stuff come on and join us . im always up for teaching and helping out with kit

Lukeyp23
26-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Spotted your own website when trawling for info. Your based over in Bolton aren't you? I did my DofE Bronze award many moons ago yomping over Horwich, Anglezarke, White Coppice, Winter Hill etc - happy days!

Any chance you could PM me a basic kit list to get me started...other than a 3-man tent i bought for me and the missus last year (a tad excessive looking at the info on the websites!), I'm starting from scratch?!

Countryman
26-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Luke, I'm also from Preston
A basic kit could depend on how handy you are and if you want to hang or are ground dwelling.
If you are hanging
A hammock and tarp is a must, a good start would be DD Hammocks or cheaper would be a DIY.
Again a basic tarp 3m x 3m from DD Hammocks
A mozzy net is a must in th UK DD travel and frontline come with built in nets.
then there is the warmth agood sleeping bag for starters is probably OK for summer.
In winter under quilts and thermarest mats become necassery.
Then you get onto stoves and this could go on forever on the choice type and style.
Knives sand hatchets are again very personal for bushcrafting. there is plenty of good advice
for these on this site.
For hammocking a good scourse of info is available on Hammock forums.
Also read on on here.
I am sure there are others that will have plenty more and varied advice for you.
Hope we can meet up soon at one of our local meets or you could arrange one yourself
Brian

Lukeyp23
26-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Luke, I'm also from Preston
A basic kit could depend on how handy you are and if you want to hang or are ground dwelling.
If you are hanging
A hammock and tarp is a must, a good start would be DD Hammocks or cheaper would be a DIY.
Again a basic tarp 3m x 3m from DD Hammocks
A mozzy net is a must in th UK DD travel and frontline come with built in nets.
then there is the warmth agood sleeping bag for starters is probably OK for summer.
In winter under quilts and thermarest mats become necassery.
Then you get onto stoves and this could go on forever on the choice type and style.
Knives sand hatchets are again very personal for bushcrafting. there is plenty of good advice
for these on this site.
For hammocking a good scourse of info is available on Hammock forums.
Also read on on here.
I am sure there are others that will have plenty more and varied advice for you.
Hope we can meet up soon at one of our local meets or you could arrange one yourself
Brian

Cheers Brian, good to hear from a fellow Prestonian!

I'll start to collect stuff together over the next couple of weeks and get back in touch to sort something out. Wedding plans are afoot though, so money is tight!

klause
26-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey Luke, welcome to NB.
Yeh we did have a good night, Mike had me eating nettles and other track side goodies ! (i was quite impressed really) but i enjoyed Brian's Jura more lol.,
We're hoping to have another meet up soon with more of the lads from the North West ( good company) and you'd be more than welcome to join us...

If money is tight ( as it is for us all ), dont worry, just get some basic kit as it will be summer anyway so nothing extreme will be needed ( i hope ! ) and write a letter to Santa if you enjoy yourself lol..

All the best Luke & hope to see you at the next meet.....Iain & Jack...

Lukeyp23
27-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Luke, welcome to NB.
Yeh we did have a good night, Mike had me eating nettles and other track side goodies ! (i was quite impressed really) but i enjoyed Brian's Jura more lol.,
We're hoping to have another meet up soon with more of the lads from the North West ( good company) and you'd be more than welcome to join us...

If money is tight ( as it is for us all ), dont worry, just get some basic kit as it will be summer anyway so nothing extreme will be needed ( i hope ! ) and write a letter to Santa if you enjoy yourself lol..

All the best Luke & hope to see you at the next meet.....Iain & Jack...

I'll see what I can get together before the next meet...worst case scenario I could pop across for a couple of hours for a chat and then bugger off home to a warm bed! (slightly defeating the object, i know). I think the biggest issue will be the sleeping gear....other than a 3-man tent, I'm all out!

I will endeavour to spend some cash on kit without the missus finding out! ; )

Cheers all!

MikeWilkinson
27-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Iain and Brian have pretty much said all I was going to. But if it helps here is my general kit list and all that is added to it is food and clothing depending on duration out. I'm a bit of a minimalist as Brian will no doubt testify to.

Rucksack/Backpack - mines a 35 litre NI patrol pack, you will probably want something a little bigger 40-60 litres maybe.
Sleeping system
Hammock - Mines DIY and cost about £10 to make + Straps and Carabiners
Midge Net - Once again DIY
Sleeping bag (at least 0 degree comfort temp) - I have a highlander Challanger light 150
Roll Mat
Tarp - I would suggest 3mx3m minimum, however I do occassionaly use a smaller 1.8m x 2.85m which is useable but a bit tight.
Bivvy bag (optional) - I carry one in case I need to go to ground up on the moors.
Cook System
Individual Billy Can
Gas Stove and Fuel
Wood Burner / Brazier - low impact open fire cooking.
Spoon/Spork
Axe/Hatchet
Folding Saw
Spare Cordage - 100' of paracord & 300' of jute twine
Dry/Night Clothes
Utility Knife - Mora Clipper etc...
Carving/Spoon Knife
Bino's
Mug
Waterbottle/container
Washkit/Tooth Brush

Hope this helps you in your quest for kit.

If you do fancy just getting out for an hour or two and having a quick chat or look at some things then I am out on the west pennine moors pretty much every night with my Mutts, can easily arrange to meet up near Darwen or Chorley.

Mike

klause
27-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Mike, you could fit all your gear in a sock ! lol.

I will endeavour to spend some cash on kit without the missus finding out! ; )

Good luck with that one kidda !

freedom
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi klause,

Hope your studying is going ok, trying to organise a meet up on the 21st or 22nd May. I have send a messeage to Mike Wilkinson asking him if he is interested and maybe meet up by his end of the woods. He seems to be more expreienced in his bushcraft and has a good area to practise. So hope to hear from u soon.
Cheers
Phil.

Lukeyp23
11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi klause,

Hope your studying is going ok, trying to organise a meet up on the 21st or 22nd May. I have send a messeage to Mike Wilkinson asking him if he is interested and maybe meet up by his end of the woods. He seems to be more expreienced in his bushcraft and has a good area to practise. So hope to hear from u soon.
Cheers
Phil.

Without wanting to crash the bash, if I'm free i'd love to try and meet up for an hour or two on the Saturday night...no sleeping gear sorted properly yet though?

Let me know.

Luke

MikeWilkinson
17-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've not been on much recently, work has been a bit mental since I got back from Holiday. I'm planning on stopping out overnight this friday(21st) up on the moors, a large camp fire will be a no no due to recent events and I won't be using any of my usual spots due to them being well cooked after the moor fires early in the month.
(Bloody arsonists and smokers!!!!)

I've got a small site in mind that can probably accomodate a couple of other people, (one or two hammocks and a couple of flattish areas for a tent or Bivi). Wood stoves and gas stoves shouldn't be a problem and maybe a small managed fire. There is plenty of foraging and some excellent Photo ops.
I'm gonna be packed up early Sat, gotta be home for 0930 so any skills sharing and practice will probably be done Friday night if you want to.

PM me if you would like to know more.

Mike

MikeWilkinson
20-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Looks like it is going to be just me this evening, Had a wonder up on the moors Wednesday, checked out the new growth in the burnt out sections of moor (it is amazing how quick it grows back) and took a little wonder through the lower areas of Tockholes plantation. Found a cracking spot suitable for medium sized group (3-8 people), plenty of hammock and small tent locations, so will be using there. I plan to be at the car park for about 1830. Its a small walk in to the site - about 30 mins.

basicbushcraft
20-05-2011, 08:37 AM
would of loved it mike but girl friend problem lol

Lukeyp23
20-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Looks like it is going to be just me this evening, Had a wonder up on the moors Wednesday, checked out the new growth in the burnt out sections of moor (it is amazing how quick it grows back) and took a little wonder through the lower areas of Tockholes plantation. Found a cracking spot suitable for medium sized group (3-8 people), plenty of hammock and small tent locations, so will be using there. I plan to be at the car park for about 1830. Its a small walk in to the site - about 30 mins.

Sorry Mike, just read you're post. Been maxxed out since work, firkin banks are useless and I have spent the best part of 45 minutes on the phone to them!! GRRR!!

The weather look pretty mild this evening having spent all day not making it's mind up!

Let me know how you got on - have a good weekend buddy.

Luke

MikeWilkinson
20-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, it is 2230, Had a fine wild salad for tea this evening, made a nice chair to chill by the fire. Now just chillin' in the hammock, listening to the Owls. I'll post some photos when I get back home 2moro. Missed a cracking evening.

Lukeyp23
21-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, it is 2230, Had a fine wild salad for tea this evening, made a nice chair to chill by the fire. Now just chillin' in the hammock, listening to the Owls. I'll post some photos when I get back home 2moro. Missed a cracking evening.

I look forward t seeing the photos Mike!

ATB

MikeWilkinson
21-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Photos are on the woodland stories pages.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1350-Solo-on-the-West-Pennine-moors&p=16190#post16190

mstaines
14-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Morning Guys, I have recently started getting interested in the outdoors/camping/bushcraft again, after years of being in the scouts/venture scouts etc. But as many of us do, we get married have kids and it see's the end of all our outdoor activities. However in the last few weeks, my 2 kids (Aged 4 and 6) have shown a glimmer of interest in having a camping trip... So I have grasped the opportunity to get back under canvas with both hands (And I'm not letting go).

And whilst doing a bit of research I came across, hammock camping, which fascinates me. And so I am really keen to give this a go at some point. I was initially looking at the Hennessy hammocks, which seem really good, but lack of funds made me look elsewhere. I then found DD Hammocks and after watching virtually every video on YTube, have decided to go for the Travel Hammock (Giving me the bivi option). Once I get the relevant funds (And permission from my wife) I will be going for one of these along with a 3x3 MC Tarp...

I then thought, WHERE am I going to try it out... And started reading about the various laws not allowing such activity in the UK (Hmmmm)... which brings me to this Forum and in particular the NW section, where I have come across you guys... Seems like there are quite a few of you either in the Preston area or nearby (Bolton, Darwen etc.) which is great... I hope to meet up with some of you on one of your overnight meets if thats ok !

Which then brings me onto my final question. Would it be an idea to put together a list of suitable locations for overnight stops, rating them as hammock friendly, bivi friendly, suitable parking etc just for the NW section. However I would understand if these are locations you would rather keep under wraps so to speak.

But would appreciate any suggestions where I could try my first overnighter (PM me if you like)...

If you have any other advice or suggestions for me that would be great and I hope to meet you all soon.

Regards, Mick

klause
24-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Mick, how you doing pal?

We've had a night out with Mike & Brian, both top blokes. Hope to see you out and about as i'm nearly ready to re-enter the woods ! (Finished my studies till September).

Iain & Jack.

mstaines
24-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Klause, Good thanks... Just getting my kit together at the moment... Just bought a Swedish Army Trangia, which I tested on Thursday and I really like it (Video review to follow), plus a tarp (Which is ok for days out, but a little heavy and small for an overnighter...). Also just won a hammock and mosquito net on that auction site for £15.00 (it will do until I can afford my DD Travel hammock).

Really looking forward to meeting up with some of you and picking up some good tips and skills. Spent 2 days (on seperate occasions) over in Tockholes and really like it there... (Cant believe its only 20mins from where I live)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0162.jpg

Cheers, Mick

Countryman
25-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Mick
I'm up on Longridge fell tonight if you wish to join us.
If your interested PM me and I'll send you the location
Cheers
Brian

mstaines
25-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Brian, Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate that... ! However, struggling to get time away at the moment (Family commitments etc.). But keep the offers coming, as I WILL come along at some point, once I get all my kit together and will want to give it all a good test...

Thanks again...

Mick

klause
27-06-2011, 08:01 AM
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa425/klausey/100_2607.jpg
Just found this of Mike & Brian, the one with us all in did not turn out !

clapton33uk
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi mate, I live in runcorn been taking my son out lately in north wales he loves it. So if want to meet up i am game, Just can't walk very far now lol to much weight.

Countryman
05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Folks
I'll be back up on Longride Fell Friday Night if anyones intrested PM me for details
Brian

freedom
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I name is Phil, I am based in Liverpool and try to practise bushcraft in Delamere forest. But it can be every busy at times, so I just try I/D different plants and trees to see what I could use them for. I would be interested in any meetups and would appreicate a invite if possible.

Cheers
Phil.

Martin
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I name is Phil, I am based in Liverpool and try to practise bushcraft in Delamere forest. But it can be every busy at times, so I just try I/D different plants and trees to see what I could use them for. I would be interested in any meetups and would appreicate a invite if possible.

Cheers
Phil.

Hey Phil, welcome to NaturalBushcraft. Don't wait for an invite to a meet mate, you will wait for a very long time, not for any other reason than it doesn't work like that. Keep an eye on the meets section and stick your name down or, better still, organise something yourself. There are loads of people in the same boat as you just waiting to be asked. To paraphrase the movie 'Field of Dreams'; if you organise it, they will come. ;)

Martin

Ichneumon
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Or, in the immortal words of Isaac Newton, 'Is the apple won't fall - go shake the tree!'

Although I'm a Devon bey I live in Lancashire. Driving down to Dartmoor is always worth the effort but it would be nice to have something happening more local.

Paul

freedom
12-07-2011, 01:16 PM
ok guy thanks for the adivce

DaveBr
22-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey guys

I'm based in Manchester about 20 mins from the centre by car, anybody doing anything over this neck of the woods? or if not have you guys got any tips on areas where i can go without upsetting folk?

Thanks Dave

MikeWilkinson
22-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi Dave,

Which Side of Manchester are you? I'm based up near Bolton and there are a few guys from the Preston/Blackburn area. We have had a couple of small meets. I tend to be out and about for a few hours most evenings as I have to get the mutts out for a stretch of the old legs. I tend to go up onto the west pennine moors around Rivington and Darwen.

Mike

DaveBr
22-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm from Denton, which is literally on the outskirts of the city centre. was into tents up until recently when i was converted to the hammock.

Its a very different way of camping lol, my only issue with traveling long distances is that i dont drive so would need to get a train etc, but would love to meet and share a few bevvies

Dave

clapton33uk
21-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Hi Mate I am from Runcorn, do you fanvy setting up a meeting sometime,

klause
22-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi Clapton, i'm just about to start back Uni (tomorrow) so i'm gona be busy for a few months studying hard for my final year.

Having said that, i'm in the process of passing my driving test so i'll definately be chomping at the bit to get out once that's sorted. We'll have to sort a meet out early next year with a few of us if everyone's up for it,,,the more the merrier for me if anyone knows a decent spot !

In the mean time Clapton, there may very well be other members wanting a meet so keep your eyes on the board...

Nice to hear from you Clapton and hopefully we'll meet up next spring if possible......Klause & Sons...

freedom
25-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi,
My name is Phil I have just got into the bushcraft seen and got some equipment together. I am based in Liverpool so if you fancy a meeting up, I would be very interested learning new skills most of what I have practised is in my back garden. So if you fancy it pm.

Cheers mate,
Phil

clapton33uk
26-09-2011, 08:09 AM
hi mike l have just been looking at Rivington on google it looks really good, l would like to take my lad up there where is the best place. cheers Paul

MikeWilkinson
30-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Paul,

Rivington is pretty good, however it does get a little busy. The better place is about 10 mins drive further into the Moors near Darwin, a place called Tockholes. The South end of the plantation is usually pretty quiet any time of year and has some good foraging and wild life too.

There isn't much flat land about Rivi and what areas there are, are all within the Lever park area, and the reality is there should be no camping. However I always see small groups pitching up in the evenings and they don't seem to get moved on.

Still roughly in the same area as Rivi are Lead mines Clough, Healy Nab and Anglezarke Reservoir. they all have potential areas for a bit of overnighting but I have yet to stop over at any of them. I have spent a quite a few hours in day camps at them.

I'm in the middle of trying to get some proper permissions to use certain areas from United Utilities, but have had no luck as of yet.

Mike

clapton33uk
30-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Cheer, Mike. I think I might go up there on day in the week and have a look around. Thanks again.

Paul

MikeWilkinson
30-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Paul

I work from home, so let me know when your up and I'll see if I can get out and meet you.

Mike

mstaines
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Im up for an overnighter, as long as it fits in with my shifts...

clapton33uk
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi mate l am trying to set a meet up in Delemere if you fancy it.

Paul

m0txr
07-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Is there still any northern chappies on here?. I am in Little Lever, near Bolton. Mac

AdrianRose
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Just outside clitheroe here buddy.

Ade.

m0txr
07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Ade, thanks for the reply. I am actually a subscriber to your utube channel. I thought to see how many "local" on here and maybe have a meet up and a brew, swap ideas etc. Wild mushroom and fungi always had an interest in, even bought recognition books, but never was confident enough. Didnt have the power of conviction that i 'd identified it/any properly. :confused:

Sar-ian
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Mac, I'm in standish,

happy trails: keep the sun on your face, and the rain off your back...........

tonx
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Mac,

I'm in Liverpool & definitely would'nt mind doing a North West meet.

Tony

freedom
07-04-2012, 11:06 PM
hi guys my names phil, i am also based in liverpool and i would be interested in meeting up.

AdrianRose
08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Ade, thanks for the reply. I am actually a subscriber to your utube channel. I thought to see how many "local" on here and maybe have a meet up and a brew, swap ideas etc. Wild mushroom and fungi always had an interest in, even bought recognition books, but never was confident enough. Didnt have the power of conviction that i 'd identified it/any properly. :confused:

Hi buddy
I thought that I recognised the name. Hope your doing well mate.

Keep an eye on my channel mate as I am going to heavily indulge my first love which is wild food and fungi foraging this year.

Let me know if you fancy an overnighter, I know of a couple of really great spots.

Ade.

Katalex
08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi all

I'm in cheshire, not far from delemere, would love to know where you can get away with camping out over there. Bit busy at no to get away for a night, got hubby and 2 boys, Scouting, work and lots of study, but interested in making links with locals, especially any other females bush crafters out there.
Kathryn

m0txr
08-04-2012, 07:57 AM
HI Ade, Ian, Tony and Phil, and Kat. Thanks for the replies, would be great to all meet up for a brew and a chin wag. Maybe we could arrange something between us sometime soon. And also Kat, great to see female shrafters too. I wonder how many female shrafters here in the north west area ?, please post in. I look forward to the vids on your channel too Ade, and would'nt mind an overnighter soon. I am keen to try gettin into/fighting my new hammock.lol. i have visions of trapeze act moves and hitting the deck a few times before i master it lol. All good fun. :happy-clapping:

AdrianRose
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
It's really nice to see so many folk from the north here.

Perhaps we could give those soft southerners a run for their money ;)

If anybody in the north/north
West wants to have a meet up or overnighter please give me a shout.

Ade

m0txr
08-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I would definetly fancy that Ade. Whenever convenient for you. I have had a walkabout today locally looking for anywhere here I could perhaps use. Took some vid and will post later if i can edit it, never done it before. Anyhow will give a giggle if nothing else. Mac:happy-clapping:

AdrianRose
08-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I would definetly fancy that Ade. Whenever convenient for you. I have had a walkabout today locally looking for anywhere here I could perhaps use. Took some vid and will post later if i can edit it, never done it before. Anyhow will give a giggle if nothing else. Mac:happy-clapping:

That's what it's all about mate, having a laugh and enjoying yourself.

Ade.

tonx
08-04-2012, 09:37 PM
It's really nice to see so many folk from the north here.

Perhaps we could give those soft southerners a run for their money ;)

If anybody in the north/north
West wants to have a meet up or overnighter please give me a shout.

Ade

Guys

I would definetly be up for this, it sounds like the guys had a great time down south over the weekend. So it would be nice to have a meet up North to.

Tony

Suba
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi people,
I'm in Manchester,
I'm up for a meet too!
Zac.

Wham666
08-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Yep. You can count me in if I can get time off. :)
A meet up in the area would be great or a small group camp out?
Nothing better than a few nights in the woods ;)

m0txr
09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Okay, here for your perusal and a giggle is my first ever attempt at a video. No real ending to it, just something i threw together to get experience in editing/uploading etc. I am not sure yet why its narrow, maybe because I used my iphone??. Anyhow it was a good experiment for me to learn how its done, so for your entertainment, sit back and open the popcorn as its "Macs First Attempt ". ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x72PLmzZJw

freedom
09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi mac.

Great vid, looks like you get a great place for wildcamping and only ten minutes walk from home eh!

Regards,
phil

tonx
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
That vid was great Mac especially for a first attempt:happy-clapping:, I agree with Phil looks a great place to wildcamp. Wish i had somewhere as close to home that i could explore.T^

Tony

alvino78
12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
hi all, a north west meet sounds a treat. iam based in sunny st helens and always interested seems to me open dates and a rough idea of woodland necessary? hi mac area looks grand, how is it for walkers? are there many and ? and can we get out of sight easily? last thing we would want is someone trapsing in camp lol

Mick
12-04-2012, 10:01 PM
A north west meet sounds good to me, I`d be up for it too. :D

m0txr
12-04-2012, 11:57 PM
hi all, a north west meet sounds a treat. iam based in sunny st helens and always interested seems to me open dates and a rough idea of woodland necessary? hi mac area looks grand, how is it for walkers? are there many and ? and can we get out of sight easily? last thing we would want is someone trapsing in camp lol

Hi, some of that shown in the vid we did meet other walkers. Im still scouting about as to where maybe a few of us could perhaps pitch n meet up. But i think most places in the vid are okay for a stealth camp overnighter for a single bivi maybe two..Mac

alvino78
13-04-2012, 05:25 PM
The days are getting longer,
nights warmer,
a hammock a tarp,
a circle of friends round a hearth,
of warm glowing embers,
a story or two,
all hidden away discreatley from view!!!!!
:camping:

alvino78
13-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I think Iain and Brian have pretty much said all I was going to. But if it helps here is my general kit list and all that is added to it is food and clothing depending on duration out. I'm a bit of a minimalist as Brian will no doubt testify to.

Rucksack/Backpack - mines a 35 litre NI patrol pack, you will probably want something a little bigger 40-60 litres maybe.
Sleeping system
Hammock - Mines DIY and cost about £10 to make + Straps and Carabiners
Midge Net - Once again DIY
Sleeping bag (at least 0 degree comfort temp) - I have a highlander Challanger light 150
Roll Mat
Tarp - I would suggest 3mx3m minimum, however I do occassionaly use a smaller 1.8m x 2.85m which is useable but a bit tight.
Bivvy bag (optional) - I carry one in case I need to go to ground up on the moors.
Cook System
Individual Billy Can
Gas Stove and Fuel
Wood Burner / Brazier - low impact open fire cooking.
Spoon/Spork
Axe/Hatchet
Folding Saw
Spare Cordage - 100' of paracord & 300' of jute twine
Dry/Night Clothes
Utility Knife - Mora Clipper etc...
Carving/Spoon Knife
Bino's
Mug
Waterbottle/container
Washkit/Tooth Brush

Hope this helps you in your quest for kit.

If you do fancy just getting out for an hour or two and having a quick chat or look at some things then I am out on the west pennine moors pretty much every night with my Mutts, can easily arrange to meet up near Darwen or Chorley.

Mike

hi mike have you a photo of your wood burner/brazier? cheers Al:D

Heather
13-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Newby forager here, and another female. Too soft for wild camping, but would love a meet up to share wild food tips. Currently can't seem to find anything but hawthorn around here (west Pennines), tho Yorkshire Moors seemed to have lots more last week.

MikeWilkinson
14-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Folks sorry not been about for awhile, a load of work on the house and arrival of new baby.

There are a few good areas for doing mini meets, however none with proper permissions. However the ranger for UU in this area is pretty laid back providing you don't leave the area tip. A few of us met up this time last year around tockholes. Would be great to do it again with a few more people.

If wild camping isn't your thing there are plenty of areas for foraging, sorrels, saxifrage, hedge garlic, ramsons, boletes, bilberries. The trick is to go up the cloughs and follow the becks and streams, otherwise hawthorn is all you will find.

AdrianRose
14-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Folks sorry not been about for awhile, a load of work on the house and arrival of new baby.

There are a few good areas for doing mini meets, however none with proper permissions. However the ranger for UU in this area is pretty laid back providing you don't leave the area tip. A few of us met up this time last year around tockholes. Would be great to do it again with a few more people.

If wild camping isn't your thing there are plenty of areas for foraging, sorrels, saxifrage, hedge garlic, ramsons, boletes, bilberries. The trick is to go up the cloughs and follow the becks and streams, otherwise hawthorn is all you will find.

Do you live around Tockholes mate. I know that area very well, it's only 35 mins away from me. I've had a few great nights sleep in Tockholes wood. In fact I'm meeting a pal of mine there tomorrow, I'll be doing plenty of foraging as its my favourite aspect of bushcraft.

Ade.

Ade.

MikeWilkinson
14-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Ade,

Yeah, I only live in Blackrod, near Horwich so it is about 15 mins away, I'm up on the moors most nights with the mutts for an hour or two, always try and do a bit of 'shrafting; whilst i'm out - be it foraging, shelter building, or just getting a brew on.

Heather
15-04-2012, 06:59 AM
We're going to try Tockholes today too. (come and say hi if you see me, I'll be wearing baby on back, plus 2 youngsters, dog and hubby in tow, hard to miss!) Thanks for tip about cloughs. Anyone free to meet next Sunday, especially for kid friendly stuff?

AdrianRose
15-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm off to Tockholes today too! Taking my pal Danny with me as well. Will give you a shout if we see you.

Ade.

m0txr
15-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I would of popped over and said hello, i live near to tockholes im sure. I dont know exactly where you all go though or how to access it.Mac

PS sent you a PM a few days ago Ade.

Sar-ian
15-04-2012, 02:09 PM
:happy-clapping:Hi Mike, congratulations, you'll soon be swapping the rucksack for a baby pack, I will probably see you out and about as the mother-in-law lives in your nick of the woods, and I live just over the yump in standish,

alvino78
15-04-2012, 03:37 PM
seems we need to ad dates when we available!!!

alvino78
15-04-2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.doodle.com/it29ss4m6xh4xw3h
sorry this the right link!!!!

Heather
15-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Well I found some sorrel (wood and common) and tried a beech leaf for the first (and possibly only!) time, so an improvement on hawthorn! Thanks for doodle link. I'd prefer a daytime meet, at least to meet some people to start with (meeting men alone in a wood at night probably not a very sensible thing for a girl to do!)

MikeWilkinson
15-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm just off out there now, with the mutts.

Would be interested in next Sunday Heather. Will bring my Sprog 1 and 2 with me. They are excellent foragers (5 an 3 yet can still find sheep sorrel, wood sorrel and other goodies.) Eldest has also been learning basic knife skills and fire lighting. There are some pictures on here somewhere of our handiwork out and about this neck of the woods, shelters etc..

alvino78
15-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Well I found some sorrel (wood and common) and tried a beech leaf for the first (and possibly only!) time, so an improvement on hawthorn! Thanks for doodle link. I'd prefer a daytime meet, at least to meet some people to start with (meeting men alone in a wood at night probably not a very sensible thing for a girl to do!)
hi i agree about the one to one meets lol wise idea!!! the doodle can be used by all to sort either day/overnight or whatever it will be there to aid everyone!! times are up to yourselves but remember SAFETY FIRST T^

AdrianRose
16-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Lol. I've just uploaded my new video to my YouTube channel, it is part of a series on wild edibles. By a remarkable coincidence it was on wood sorrel and common sorrel.

Heather
18-04-2012, 11:55 AM
some pictures on here somewhere of our handiwork out and about this neck of the woods, shelters etc..
Just had an (unsuccessful) trawl through your posts to find them, very inspiring. Would love to teach my boy to use a knife but prob need to learn myself first! Next Sunday would be good for a meet up. About 11? Have you got any suggestions where? I'm in Blackrod too, so happy to travel as near/far as you like.

MikeWilkinson
18-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Just had an (unsuccessful) trawl through your posts to find them, very inspiring. Would love to teach my boy to use a knife but prob need to learn myself first! Next Sunday would be good for a meet up. About 11? Have you got any suggestions where? I'm in Blackrod too, so happy to travel as near/far as you like.

1100 is fine with me. As for where, it all depends on what you would like to do. Anglezarke is good for foraging and finding good wood for carving, fire lighting.

Up the pike is good for learning tree identifcation and animal spotting (probably too busy on a Sunday for that though, Deer were up there last night).

Lead mines Clough has to be my favourite area for foraging, animal spotting with the odd little area for bushcraft skills.

Then of course there is Tockholes again. Excellent for everything in this area. Tockholes is my favourite for overnighting in.
Wilderswood used to be good, until they chopped all the trees down :(.

There is also Walker folds wood, I've only been there once, but it seemed to have some serious potential.

Haigh Hall shouldn't be ignored either, there are some excellent areas there for shelter building, all be it they are located under the dreaded dead fall beech, just need to be carefull where you select your site.

Lead mines clough is good for little ones as you don't need to go to far and it has all excitement of waterfalls and ruins and places where they can ramble. Parking can sometimes be tight, depends on the weather. Tockholes is much the same, only missing the waterfalls.

Mike

avraam
19-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. My name is Nik and 38 and I'm from Warrington. I really would appreciate it someone would let me know if they would like to go trekking over several days. I'm fit and have most if not all of the equipment, I'm just short on bushcraft experience. Please let me know.....

Ichneumon
19-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Nik.

I could be up for this. PM me and let me know what you have in mind.

ATB Paul

alvino78
19-04-2012, 10:55 PM
interesting!!!! any details lads? pm please!!:camping:

MikeWilkinson
21-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Up at Tockholes for the next few hours. Will be parked at the Mill lane car park and probably mooching around the area east of the manor ruins.

Heather
21-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Hope you had a good time at Tockholes, Mike. Going to go to lead mines clough as you suggested tomorrow if you're still up for it? Not sure of the area, but looking at the map, going to park at the southern car park just to the west of the bottom of the clough. Meet at 11? Will pm you too.

MikeWilkinson
21-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Had a great time thanks. Picked a few wild edibles and stopped off in the manor ruins for a nice wild salad and a coffee.
I'll be at the clough at 11 sharp. I tend to park on the road right by the entrance to the clough walk, which is on Parson's Bullough Road, next to Alance Bridge at the back of Yarrow reservoir. It avoids having to walk along the road from the Anglezarke car park (which is pay and display). Alternatively you can park on the road between reservoirs and walk along the Yarrow reservoir embankment then up the road to Lead mines.

freedom
23-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Good to see so many people from the NW interested in bushcraft, keep the comments going. I have enjoyed reading them, think I will be off out to tomorrow foraging about.
Cheers,
Phil

AdrianRose
23-04-2012, 08:24 PM
I definitely think we need to get some sort of meet organised folks, even if it is just for a walk, a brew, a hand shake and make new friends.

Ade.

Sar-ian
24-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I definitely think we need to get some sort of meet organised folks, even if it is just for a walk, a brew, a hand shake and make new friends.

Ade.

Hi Ade, sounds like a good idea, anytime over the weekends is T^, just the time and place needed, will PM contact details, cheers Ian..

m0txr
24-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Yes, be great meet up. We need a time and place really. Im available anytime for a meet up. Mac

m0txr
28-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Is anyone doin/ going anywhere this weekend?? Mac

freedom
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi guys
If anyone is interested I am thinking of having look around Anglezarke area. I have been reading Mike Wilkinson posts and seems good area to go to do bushcraft. It will next week sometime.
cheers,
phil

AdrianRose
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Not sure if you are all aware but Tamarack outdoors are having an open day on May 19th, it may be a good venue for us all in the North West to meet up and shake hands.
Ade.

freedom
11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi ade,

where is the tamarack outdoor, I would go if few more like to attend.
phil

AdrianRose
11-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi ade,

where is the tamarack outdoor, I would go if few more like to attend.
phil

It's near Preston/Garstang way. Just google Tamarack Outdoors and they have all the details about the open day and the address on their site.

Ade.

freedom
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks Ade maybe I will take drive up on Friday, if anyone else is interested in meeting up for brew and chat.
phil

AdrianRose
14-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Ade maybe I will take drive up on Friday, if anyone else is interested in meeting up for brew and chat.
phil

No worries Phil. I can only do the Saturday but I'm sure the whole weekend will be worthwhile.

Ade.

freedom
16-05-2012, 11:04 PM
hi guys,
I am thinking of going Saturday now maybe few of us can meetup have brew and chat.
Regards,
Phil.

AdrianRose
17-05-2012, 08:26 AM
That's a great idea Phil. My wife and I are doing a demonstration stall on Saturday all to do with with wild foods and food foraging.

It would seem an ideal location for all the Natural Bushcraft members in the North West to get together to shake hands and put faces to names.

I'll be the fat bald bloke eating all the hazelnut damper bread!

Really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Ade.

Silverback
17-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Shame i cant make it...It would be nice to say hi to you and catch up with some mates from BPMRT

AdrianRose
17-05-2012, 08:41 PM
shame i cant make it...it would be nice to say hi to you and catch up with some mates from bpmrt

bpmrt?

Silverback
17-05-2012, 09:29 PM
bpmrt?

Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue Team

rich290185
17-05-2012, 10:14 PM
mmmm might have a ride up on saterday work allowing hope to see you guys there ;)

MikeWilkinson
19-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I managed to make it out to Tamarack. Was a real pleasure meeting Adrian and his family.

Was also nice to meet a few other members from the area. I'm hoping with a bit of work we can get something a bit more regular going.

AdrianRose
20-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Morning folks.

Just wanted to say what a pleasure it was meeting all of the forum members that came to the event yesterday.

I'm sure this is going to be the start of something good.
It was a great day although my throat still hurts from talking non stop all day, between talking to visitors, doing two guided walks at over an an hour each and being interviewed by BBC Radio Lancashire, I think I need a day of rest!

Cheers to you all

Ade.

rich290185
20-05-2012, 04:13 PM
glad you had a good day guys, i couldnt get up in the end bloody work!!!

freedom
20-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Guys,
I enjoyed meeting with other members yesterday at the Tamarack event, a big thanks to Ade and his family for the welcome, the guided walk and the wonderful ediables on your store. My better half has been bitten by the bug of food foraging. Again thanks and hope to meet up again soon.
Regards,
Phil.

AdrianRose
20-05-2012, 06:06 PM
It was fantastic to meet you and your good lady wife. If you ever fancy meeting up for another walk, I would gladly be up for it.

Besides, we need to show those pastie munchers how we roll!

Ade.

Martin
20-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm really chuffed that you guys got together and had a good time. I love the way that bushcraft people can get meet and just enjoy each others' company with a common interest in the outdoors. :)

Martin

freedom
20-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Ade,
Ya it would be great to meet up, I am off on my next weekend in two weeks and this is open to other members so come on guys!!!
Phil

AdrianRose
20-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Ade,
Ya it would be great to meet up, I am off on my next weekend in two weeks and this is open to other members so come on guys!!!
Phil

Where are you thinking of going Phil?

Ade

freedom
20-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I am abit sort on ideas, seems most of the guys are from your neck of the woods but I usually go to Delamere forest. I am off there tomorrow, I am pretty new to bushcraft, so if you have any suggestions that would be great.
Phil

AdrianRose
23-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I am abit sort on ideas, seems most of the guys are from your neck of the woods but I usually go to Delamere forest. I am off there tomorrow, I am pretty new to bushcraft, so if you have any suggestions that would be great.
Phil

Hi Phil
How did the trip to Delamere go Phil?

If you think it's a good spot for a camping I'd be happy to come across and join you.

Ade.

AdrianRose
23-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the guys from the North West who came to the open day last weekend.

I've just posted a video on here featuring some of you guys.

Ade.

freedom
23-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Ade,
My walk about Delamere was ok, weather was good and found some edibles jack of the edge and dandlions thanks to your guidance on the Saturday. Delamere has some great spots for camping but not sure about the rangers would be to please, but i would have to have a look around . There is a campsite not far away from the woods in a open field but again I would have to check it out. You could go stealth camping but the problem is i have only a tent at the moment. Not sure were you would like to camp in the wooded area or the campsite, maybe have look around of evening time. pm me your thoughts about what I have said and i will try to get thing sorted for next weekend.
phil

freedom
23-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Ade,
just quick comment about your video posted on your site it was excellent, hope that sore throate is better
phil

AdrianRose
23-05-2012, 10:25 PM
cheers Phil

Some warm honey and lemon tea and it was all better thanks pal.

I'll PM you about the camps mate.
Ade

Hi Ade,
just quick comment about your video posted on your site it was excellent, hope that sore throate is better
phil

MikeWilkinson
24-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Guys,

My old man is up visiting for the bank holiday weekend, we are planning to get a night out up at Tockholes probably on the Saturday night, if anyone would care to join us you are more than welcome.

Plan would be to get up there about 6.00pm ish. Have a bit of a wander and forage. Locate a reasonable camp site and do some firelighting skills (Bow drill practice, maybe have a go at an all natural kit) Bivi/hammock up about 8:30 - 9:00 and a chin wag till bed time. Up earlyish to get some brekkie and pack down, another bimble and maybe some tracking or other bushcraft skills (cordage/shelter building...)

PM me if it your interested.

freedom
24-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Mike,
Its phil dont if you remember me we met at the tamarack outdoors on the Saturday. I was the guy with the red top and thick pint glasses on:D and blonde hair. I would love to join you and your father on that Saturday hoilday weekend, if that ok. I would like to check out this area, you seem to know it well from what I have read from posts. So I am up for it if thats ok with you. So again lads from the nw bushcraft crew lets get are self together again.
Cheers,
Phil.

MikeWilkinson
29-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi Phil,

Just sent you a PM with details. Look forward to seeing you then.

Mike

AdrianRose
29-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd love to be able to come across mike/phil but unfortunately it's my wedding anniversary this weekend and I think I'd be "cut off in my prime", (if you know what I mean) If I came out instead of taking my wife out for a meal.

Although a campfire meal might be romantic enough, hmmmm !!, I'll see if I can persuade her. lol

Ade

Hushwing
29-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Although a campfire meal might be romantic enough, hmmmm !!, I'll see if I can persuade her. lol

Ade

Hey mate just had mine this weekend past and we DID go camping (even with the wee lad as well) - had a great time and yes the fire and the view across the sound to Jura was stunning. Mind though, I didn't have any hairy-ersed bushcrafters with me also (obviously excluding Mike/Phil in the abusive comment) so that might be the difference!! have a good anniv weekend anyway.

freedom
30-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi Ade,
I have good anniversary, I will pm you soon and make some arrangements to meetup for day or night.
cheers,
phil

AdrianRose
30-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Ade,
I have good anniversary, I will pm you soon and make some arrangements to meetup for day or night.
cheers,
phil

Cheers Phil

I've tried the "romantic fireside bushcraft" idea for our anniversary, unfortunately I'm not at liberty to repeat here what she said to me!

I do however think that what she told me I could do with myself would be biologically impossible unless I removed several ribs and developed a high degree of spinal flexibility!!

Have a good weekend all, and I'll look forward to your call Phil buddy.

Ade.

MikeWilkinson
30-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Have a happy anniversary weekend Ade. We will have to sort something out again, sooner rather than later.

Hey Hushwing, I wouldn't exclude myself from that comment, being called a hairy arsed bushcrafter is a step up from the usual, besides I'm pretty sure I am hairy arsed!!! :p

AdrianRose
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi guys

After quite a bit of discussion and planning (and grovelling) with a local land owner I may have secured some woodland that we can use with full open fire permission.

It will probably be for a maximum of six people at a time initially but if we are respectful of the woodland (which I know we all will be) it could be increased to a full North West meet up location.

I'm going to look at it again on Monday with the owner so I will report back with more info later.

All the best folks

Ade.

MikeWilkinson
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Excellent news, looking forward to hearing more.

freedom
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Great news Ade keep us all posted,
Phil

alvino78
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi guys

After quite a bit of discussion and planning (and grovelling) with a local land owner I may have secured some woodland that we can use with full open fire permission.

It will probably be for a maximum of six people at a time initially but if we are respectful of the woodland (which I know we all will be) it could be increased to a full North West meet up location.

I'm going to look at it again on Monday with the owner so I will report back with more info later.

All the best folks

Ade.

that sounds fantastic ade! it would be grand to all meet up at a local area!! please keep us informed.T^

AdrianRose
04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Sorry folks but the potential woodland meeting site has fallen through.

Very long story short, I went to visit it today and it was a stunning location with deer, badger, fox, spawning salmon and brown trout. It also has an important amount of rare wild flowers. And that's the problem - its too beautiful!

I think that to use this place for a big meet would effectively ruin the "bush" that defines us as bushcrafters.

So, the search continues guys and gals.

Ade.

alvino78
05-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Sorry folks but the potential woodland meeting site has fallen through.

Very long story short, I went to visit it today and it was a stunning location with deer, badger, fox, spawning salmon and brown trout. It also has an important amount of rare wild flowers. And that's the problem - its too beautiful!

I think that to use this place for a big meet would effectively ruin the "bush" that defines us as bushcrafters.

So, the search continues guys and gals.

Ade.

Very unfortunate, but also a very good call you have my upmost respect well doneT^

dannyreid1978
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Its always best to keep something as pristine and beautiful as that place was as untouched as possible, I feel privileged to have been there to see it for myself Ade

freedom
05-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Ade,
Your inbox is full mate so, could pm

AdrianRose
05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi Ade,
Your inbox is full mate so, could pm

Oops sorry mate. I'll go clear some of it now. (I never was good at being tidy or organised.)

Ade.

freedom
18-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi guys,
All seems quiet on the NW bushcraft front. I finally got out on Sunday a broke in the weather helped and went down to Crosby coast, I had a look around plenty of mussels and cockles washed up on the low tide. I was going collect some, but decided not to thought it maybe risky eating them. Well I had nice walk and look around, drive home. Anyone else been out lately?
Cheers,
Phil

AdrianRose
18-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Phil

Glad that you managed to get out pal, you did right avoiding the mussels pal. If you have a strong stomach i will tell you a horror story around the campfire one night about a rather unpleasant time i had with mussels.

Crosby coast sounds interesting, have you got any pictures pal?

We all still need to arrange a get together before too long, even if it is for a day out.

All the best

Ade

MikeWilkinson
18-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Other than getting out with my old man over the Bank holiday, I've not managed to get out at all to the woods.

Some little ****** decided it would be nice to prang into our car at the best part of 60mph, so have been without the big car for taking the Mutts out. I've done a little foraging along the Canal though. Just not managed to get out onto the hills.

Get nice new shiny car on Friday though so will definitely be trying to get out over the weekend. Even just for a few hours up on't moors.

Agree with Ade, we need to get out for a meet up soon.

Mike

freedom
18-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope no one got hurt mate. I agree we all need to meet up.
Phil

freedom
18-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope no one got hurt mate. I agree we all need to meet up.
Phil

freedom
18-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Sorry guys no pictures still waiting on my moblie to be repair, also seems computer is acting up post my message twice.

freedom
18-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Ade I have tried pm you with some dates for next week for a possible meet, not sure you have received them this damn computer is playing up. Let me know if you received them.
Cheers,
Phil

AdrianRose
18-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Ade I have tried pm you with some dates for next week for a possible meet, not sure you have received them this damn computer is playing up. Let me know if you received them.
Cheers,
Phil

Hi buddy.
Just replied to your pm mate. Don't think I got your last one tho. Maybe the forum outage lost it?

All the best
Ade

Sar-ian
30-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Disclaimer: I am in no way involved or receive any reward from the organisers of this event.........

Hi folks, Just a "heads up" this sunday is the Cheshire game and angling fair in Little Peover, whilst not being strictly "bushcrafty" and I'm not suggesting it as a meet, it is a good day out for the family, and last year there was good selection af stalls, some selling army surplus ( I got a pair of gortex para boots for £35 and they were like new). There was a good selection of displays in the main arena, the food stalls were pricey, so I'll be taking the stove, kettle, pan and bacon. If you do plan on going I would advise checking the website on sunday morning just to make sure it's not been cancelled, if you go, hope you have a good day out................

dave.slater
09-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Heya all Dave here from Southport and im new to this forum, I must say its great to see so many from the northwest doing rough camping and bushcraft.
The local woodland Freshfield has run its course for me and im curious as if there are any meets or anyone from the local area that could show me new locations please thanks :-)

alvino78
09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
hi and:welcome:

Brewonthetrail
02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would like to get out with like minded folk. I live in orrell! Please let me know ! Thanks guys

Sar-ian
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would like to get out with like minded folk. I live in orrell! Please let me know ! Thanks guys

Hi, I'm just up the road from you in standish, but lived in orrell for a number of years, near the water park. I still go for a walk round the area with the dogs, round the back of the hozzie, up past the old brick works and down past the underground ressie, a good couple of hours, I'll give you a shout next time I'm going if you like.............On a slightly different tack, there's a meet being organised by sapper in yorkshire, in Jan, you might be interested, check it out, up to now there's 11 folk going, cheers Ian.

AdrianRose
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi there Brewonthetrail.

Sar-Ian is a great guy, if you get chance to go for a walk with him then do so.

I've only met Sar-Ian once but I was very impressed by his passion for the outdoors.

All the best
Ade

Brewonthetrail
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'd be more than happy to! I look forward to meeting you.

Sar-ian
22-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks guys, I'd be more than happy to! I look forward to meeting you.

will be going to orrell between christmas and new year, PM sent...

This is also an open invitation to any other members, not really bushcrafty, just a good walk out to blow away those christmas cob-webs. The water park is at the bottom of Sandy Lane, Orrell WN5 7AT.

freedom
25-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Merry Xmas to all the NW Bushcraft crew and happy New year.:jumping-joy:

mike
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Hello to Mike,Klause or Basic,
It's 2013 starting todary, any of you guys still around?
I need to get out more, instead of just reading about it.
I'm in Widnes in cheshire.don't know of any locations around here, but up to travelling.

Bladerunner
29-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi, appreciate you posted ages ago! I'm from same area also looking for overnight bushcraft sites. I have a few ideas but would love to know how you've got on and share local locations? :camping:

jus_young
29-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi, appreciate you posted ages ago! I'm from same area also looking for overnight bushcraft sites. I have a few ideas but would love to know how you've got on and share local locations? :camping:

Hi Bladerunner, jump over to the intro thread and introduce yourself. I'm sure folks will be more than happy to point you in the right direction http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community!

mike
23-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Hi Bladerunner, I'be tried to reply twice already but was having log in problems. My fault as I'm doing everything on my phone. Hopefully third time lucky.
Done next to nothing in 2013, due to family illness and my next door neighbor nearly burning my house down. Still got some gear left though and am determined to get out more this year. If this gets through then look forward to a chat.