PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Knowledge

Under My Basha
27-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone

Since starting getting into bushcraft the local woods where I take the hounds each day are no longer just a load of trees anymore they are Oak, Willow, birch and many more. This has really started to interest me knowing the difference between them and their uses.
Does anyone have a good link to British trees and their traditional uses or anyone know of any good traditional uses?

saxonaxe
27-06-2013, 07:59 PM
There's a website that I find quite helpful.http://www.shurdington.org/TreeChart.html

I like it because if I'm out and get baffled by a tree, it's possible to get an ID if you pick a leaf and take it home because this site has quite good illustrations of leaves on it.
The Collins 'Little Gem' book of trees is pretty good for carrying out and about, and if you're ever in Lidl supermarket keep an eye out for the books they sometimes sell. I got a cracker, just called Trees, but great illustrations and info on all European trees. :)

rossbird
28-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Ray Tabor`s- encyclopedia of green woodworking, is another book on traditional uses of trees.

snowleopard
01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Yew for bows, oak for boats, hazel for arrows, birch for general carving, lime for string.........