PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Fare

OKBushcraft
18-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Ok, I eat a semi kosher diet-Also I do not like to kill anything without using as much of it as possible.
Me and my oldest will eat about anything on the list.
So far we have eaten fried grass hoppers and crickets as our most outrageous fare.
In our part of the country fish filets are the norm since people have gotten to the point they hate to pick bones(Lazy??)- we will take small fish and scale them, gut and remove the gills. Fried and then start in at the head and go south. To most people in my area that is bizarre. The fried eyes were a chalange but was able to get past them well enough.
Menudo-not a bush friendly soup but odd for my area-basicly- Beef stomach, shanks, hominy, spices, cilantro, onion and a lime squeeze. Takes hours to cook.
Prickly pear-pads and fruit. Cooked and raw.
Seveche`-raw fish slices set in a dish of lime juice-the juice pickles the fish-The wife's step dad is from Cuba, they would make it and set it out on the counter and it would not spoil in the tropic heat. Add raw chopped onions, cilantro, eaten on a cracker and lightly salted. I think this would be a bush friendly food as long as the fish was allowed to set long enough in the juice.

What odd food have you eaten and will do again in the bush? Did you carry it in or find it in the field? How do you fix it?

Martin
18-01-2011, 10:07 AM
We had few woodlice when we were out sometime last year and also had a coastal foraging session that contained some treats not considered 'normal' such as limpets. Also managed some perch and roach (fish) althought the effort of catching them probably wasn't worth the calories gained.

It's interesting to see what is 'out there' when you throw away your concept of normal.

Martin

Fletching
18-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi OKBushcraft,

I've had Ceveche when I was out in Peru. Kinda like lemon-flavoured sashimi and delicious. Weirdest thing I've eaten lately was roast guinea pig - also in Peru - which was cooked for me (it's a common dish in Peru) - and that was delicious too.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5124/5366901798_3c99728b71_b.jpg

I've had the usual snake, crocodile and 'roo when I was down under, and lots of dried lizzard stew in HK and have also eaten crickets, but these were chocolate coated!

Steve

comanighttrain
18-01-2011, 10:19 AM
the usual fish and shells...

I have been tempted to try worm skin, i heard if you remove the innards, dry it then powder it you can then stew it up