PDA

View Full Version : 7 trout and and an arctic charr

FishyFolk
22-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Went out to a local lake today for a bit of fishing. Tried my hand at fly fishing, but after whipping the water into froth for an hour or two while chucking fluff, I threw in the towel and broke out the UL spinner kit. On the second cast witha 3 gram Blue Fox Vibrax, I had on the first frying pan sized brown trout.

Just after that a collegegue from work happened to arive by chance at the same mark. So we brewed up and had a fishing chat. Now this particular lake your suposed to either catch on the fly, preferably attached to large bomber floats that gets cast a zillion meters out into the lake and reeled slowly in, with a fly or four trailing, or by using sinkers and a workm on a hook. Nad at work he had refused to belive I only use spinners, and catching in this lake.

Just then it started raining, so I waded in again (neoprene chest waders are nice to have), and immedialtley pulled in another brown trout, followed by an arctic charr, and according to my colleague those are impossible to get in this lake in summer...he he

All in all a good day stopping the mouth of the biggest "know-it-all" at the office :-)

And that charr tasted wonderfull, and still have 3 brown trout left in the fridge for tomorrows breakfast :-)

ian c
22-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Well done!! I cannot fly fish myself either, so would also opted for the spinners.

Silverback
22-06-2013, 09:55 PM
T^

fish
22-06-2013, 10:19 PM
any pics?

shepherd
22-06-2013, 10:20 PM
well done bro T^

Tigger004
22-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Glad you got your one upmanship :happy-clapping:

Once I fly fished a small lake near Knaresborough in Yorkshire all morning and nothing, not even a pull. Changed to maggot on the lake owners advice and caught a fish nearly every cast ( no fun at all ).

Took four back to our camp for tea, they all tasted muddy. We didn't bother with any more fishing on that lake. but it makes for fun memories.

FishyFolk
22-06-2013, 10:41 PM
any pics?

Was going to make another youtube vid, but as it was raining I did not break out the cam as I don't have a water proof camera. Could always take one of the 3 dead fish in the fridge, lol

Sar-ian
22-06-2013, 11:50 PM
:happy-clapping:T^

butchthedog
23-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Sounds like a good day out, the only place I know of for Arctic Char is the Lake District in England. Saw a program on TV about fishing for them and it was difficult enough for the local experts with the ''knowledge'' to even get a bite. If I recall correctly they hold an annual contest to see who is crowned the best Char fisherman, ''or something similar''. Anyway well done Rune..

happybonzo
23-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Sounds like a good day out, the only place I know of for Arctic Char is the Lake District in England...

Also used to be in North Wales at Llyn Peris and elsewhere around Llanberis

When the electricity people built the pumped storage scheme they moved them all when the lake was drained. I don't know if they survived or not.

FishyFolk
23-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Breakfast this morning :-)

A couple of trout and an arctic charr in the middle :-)

butchthedog
23-06-2013, 07:36 AM
They look tasty enough. T^

Realearner
23-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Sticking to what you know pays, but fly fishing is an art had ago myself and interesting, only ever caught a couple.
But arctic char is supposed to be really nice.

FishyFolk
23-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Sticking to what you know pays, but fly fishing is an art had ago myself and interesting, only ever caught a couple.
But arctic char is supposed to be really nice.

This year I have actually aquired the so called "statskort", the fee I have to pay (24£) to be elligible for fishing salmon and sea trout in rivers and lakes. The goal is a nearby river that holds sea trout, where I'll go with a friend and try my hand at fly fishing in a river. I've got no experience with that at all. But have been practicing fly casting on and off for a few montths.

Anyway, I went to another lake today, and shot a lot of video, and managed to get lost on my way back to the car...so watch out for the vid it's coming up some time during the evening :-)

rawfish111
23-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a load of fishing gear that I never get the chance to bloody use these days :mad: including a sea flyfishing set up. It was a fun enterprise when time was more available.

BJ
24-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Also used to be in North Wales at Llyn Peris and elsewhere around Llanberis

When the electricity people built the pumped storage scheme they moved them all when the lake was drained. I don't know if they survived or not.

T^ I am told they are still found in LLyn Padern at LLanberis, a leftover from the Glacier melt. (I was too young to remember that) I don't fish there but do occasionally kayak, or walk round it.

Ehecatl
24-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Well done Rune. Hope you enjoyed them,

M@