PDA

View Full Version : Hope For Ash Dieback

Chubbs
17-06-2013, 10:31 AM
A story that I read this morning which I would like to share.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22913111

Kernowek Scouser
17-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice one Neil
T^
Disheartening news, but flavoured with eventual hope.

saxonaxe
17-06-2013, 11:01 AM
I hope they come up with some solution because the face of the countryside will change drastically if we loose all the Ash trees. At least folk seem to be getting stuck into finding an answer..:o

snowleopard
17-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Pity if they all go!

Great to see that theres still some hope! T^

Stamp
17-06-2013, 05:24 PM
If we do lose all the Ash there will be a silver lining to our woodlands, Ash is a prolific propogator and colonises woodland very quickly and shades out slower growing species. If the loss of Ash is managed in a woodland we could see greater biodiversity, this could mean we have the option to plant a greater variety of native species rather than than 75% of our woodland being made up of Ash. I don't want to see Ash die out but there could be some positives, if they do die out the woodland will need to be managed to ensure we don't get fast growing, non-native species like Sycamore (non-native - naturalised) filling the space the Ash once stood in.

Silverback
17-06-2013, 06:40 PM
If we do lose all the Ash there will be a silver lining to our woodlands, Ash is a prolific propogator and colonises woodland very quickly and shades out slower growing species. If the loss of Ash is managed in a woodland we could see greater biodiversity, this could mean we have the option to plant a greater variety of native species rather than than 75% of our woodland being made up of Ash. I don't want to see Ash die out but there could be some positives, if they do die out the woodland will need to be managed to ensure we don't get fast growing, non-native species like Sycamore (non-native - naturalised) filling the space the Ash once stood in.

T^