PDA

View Full Version : Chicken of the woods?

freedom
10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Guys was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is Chicken of the woods89238924
spot it on a tree stump when walking down to the local last night

AdrianRose
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Yep that's chicken of the woods pal but it looks a little too old to eat mate.

Good find.
Ade

butchthedog
10-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Fish from this parish will know the answer to that, he had some the other day with Venison, the lucky fella.

Silverback
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Good find.
Ade

+1

snowleopard
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Good find T^

Tigger004
10-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Nope it's leaky cavity wall insulation...only kidding ...lol :o Good photos

OakAshandThorn
10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
The only bracket fungi I've seen in my area are Pheasant's Tail (Dryad Saddle), False Tinder Fungus, and Chaga. Great spotting, indeed! :D

butchthedog
10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Nope it's leaky cavity wall insulation...only kidding ...lol :o Good photos

It does look similar, lol

Geoff Dann
11-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Good find.
Ade

Doesn't look too old to me, but does look like it is in the sort of place that fifteen dogs visit daily!

Fraxinus
11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Doesn't look too old to me, but does look like it is in the sort of place that fifteen dogs visit daily!

Insert "upchuck" (non) smilie here!

Good find though, I only ever seem to find non edible or eat under pain of death ones, so a piddled on one would be a step forward! :D

Rob.

Silverback
11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Insert "upchuck" (non) smilie here!

Good find though, I only ever seem to find non edible or eat under pain of death ones, so a piddled on one would be a step forward! :D

Rob.

correct me if Im wrong Ade/Geoff...not everyone can eat Chicken of the Woods it disagrees with some

Fraxinus
11-06-2013, 02:52 PM
It can upset some people and should never be eaten if growing on Yew apparently. I am not sure if it was this one or Honey Fungus that Jimmy Doherty's wife got poorly on when they tried it during filming of Jimmy's Farm.
I guess it is a situation similar to mine with garlic (though so far not to any worse than vomiting) if you are susceptible you don't often know till the after effects kick (you) in.

Rob.

Geoff Dann
11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
correct me if Im wrong Ade/Geoff...not everyone can eat Chicken of the Woods it disagrees with some

I have heard reports that 10-15% of the population are allergic to it. I have also heard it is poisonous when growing on yew. I am not sure how true either claim is.

AdrianRose
11-06-2013, 03:48 PM

All the text books/reports I've read is that about 5% of people who eat it have a reaction to it. However, my personal view is that its not the fungi that is the issue but the host tree from which it is harvested.

I would suspect that those 5% of people are harvesting from Yew trees and as such the fungi may absorb some of the inherent toxins from the Yew tree.

Ade

_Matt_
12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
What exactly is the season for COTW? I've read varying things.

Geoff Dann
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
What exactly is the season for COTW? I've read varying things.

From about now until September.

twosmokeforever
12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
we have recently eaten some of this fine example, just as a taster and the missus and I were fine. I did parboil and then add it to our st georges dish

sadly someone kicked it when I had bunny casserol in mind, I really love the nature of people if we don't understand it just put the boot in :-(

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/2smokeforever/Photo0105_zps00de945c.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/2smokeforever/media/Photo0105_zps00de945c.jpg.html)

we have had a great month of st georges shrooms which has now come to an end, but other than the taster of this one nothing else this year, has anyone had anyjoy shrooming? can't wait for my favourite the shaggy ink cap and field puff balls are a great summer feast

favourite st georges dishes
omlettes with wild garlic and black pepper
fryed in olive oil & oregano, drained and served in fresh oil and balsamic vinegar with crusty roll

I found plenty and ate them with everything

_Matt_
13-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks like lava seeping from the log lol.l

Geoff Dann
17-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I ate lots of the stuff picked from yew yesterday: http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/uncategorized/chyewks-chickens-of-the-wood-on-yew/

_Matt_
17-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I see you've updated the website now.

Geoff Dann
17-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I see you've updated the website now.

Yep! Would have been tempting fate to blog about it before dropping dead overnight...

rossbird
17-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I ate lots of the stuff picked from yew yesterday: http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/uncategorized/chyewks-chickens-of-the-wood-on-yew/

What a great piece of investigative cooking :)
Just goes to show....All is not set in stone, but it takes someone with real understanding to prove otherwise.
Thanks for sharing your results Geoff.

Tony

twosmokeforever
19-06-2013, 07:08 AM
What a great piece of investigative cooking :)
Just goes to show....All is not set in stone, but it takes someone with real understanding to prove otherwise.
Thanks for sharing your results Geoff.

Tony

I have eaten yew berries (important not the seed in the middle) as one of my books say's you can and I am still here, they were sweet. didn't eat alot of them as I guess I was concerned

I maybe wrong but I thought it was the little black seeds that are posiness

Geoff Dann
19-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I have eaten yew berries (important not the seed in the middle) as one of my books say's you can and I am still here, they were sweet. didn't eat alot of them as I guess I was concerned

I maybe wrong but I thought it was the little black seeds that are posiness

The seeds, bark and foliage are all very poisonous, and the wood is also poisonous. Only the red flesh of the berries is safe (and good) to eat.

_Matt_
19-06-2013, 10:42 AM
They certainly look good to eat. But how good?

Geoff Dann
19-06-2013, 12:19 PM
They certainly look good to eat. But how good?

Yew berries? Yummy. Make a lovely flan/tart. Sticky, sweet and tasty.

OakAshandThorn
19-06-2013, 11:15 PM
The seeds, bark and foliage are all very poisonous, and the wood is also poisonous. Only the red flesh of the berries is safe (and good) to eat.
Yep - and taxine is not something you want inside you...