PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made, used nettle dye

Sar-ian
06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi folks, the title says it all, I recently purchased a snow smock, and want to dye it, and after a google search etc, it occurred to me the bushcraft way would be to dye it use-ing something natural, hence nettle's..... So can anyone help, have you done it, was it a disaster, was it a success, many thanks Ian....................

Silverback
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
peppermint and sorrel....

http://pioneerthinking.com/crafts/natural-dyes

El
06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
How about Grass ?

Silverback
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
How about Grass ?

Wouldnt that cloud his judgement and be a tad unsafe around dyes and hot liquids ?......OHHHHHH Grass !!

Sar-ian
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Wouldnt that cloud his judgement and be a tad unsafe around dyes and hot liquids ?......OHHHHHH Grass !!

How about Grass ?

now now wrong forum surely

luresalive
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Woundwort gives a yellow dye and the roots of green alkanet give red, try something funky!

El
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
ahhh haaa!!!
http://www.ehow.com/how_6336978_use-grass-dye-shirts.html

Midge_Fodder
26-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Onion skins die well too.

craftybushman
14-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Hi, Well i eat a lot of nettles and what i have found is if you boil them long enough it tends to release the colour but how you would treat this to become a dye i really don't know. sorry wish i could be of more help.

good luck

Regards

Ian.

ian c
14-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Years ago I tried to dye a old jacket with nettles all I did was boil up LOTS of nettles in a salt water solution then boiled the liquid down to make the colour stronger, it worked but not very well as it was patchy probably due to something I did wrong.

cranmere
20-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Green dyes extracted from plants are not fast, they will fade quickly to a greenish-beige colour. Nettle roots will give a nice yellow. Onion skins make a nice light brown. The other thing is that most plant dyes are difficult to get a strong colour on cotton.

wildwanderingwoodsman
08-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Use nettles,spinach, boil down till you have about 2 litre of strong green dye, soak in solution for about 12 hours. You then need to use a mordant to fix the colour. Alum, vinegar, urea, salt are all mordants but you need to experiment as to which one fixes the colour best. Failing that, dylon hand dye is about 5 quid and will do the job nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David_JAFO
08-05-2016, 08:09 PM
hello,
Have a browse at this link I had on file.. http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan/the-growth-of-tartan/tartan-production/colours-and-dyeing/kitchen-dyeing/
Regards
David

Use nettles,spinach, boil down till you have about 2 litre of strong green dye, soak in solution for about 12 hours. You then need to use a mordant to fix the colour. Alum, vinegar, urea, salt are all mordants but you need to experiment as to which one fixes the colour best. Failing that, dylon hand dye is about 5 quid and will do the job nicely.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk