PDA

View Full Version : New Site on Dartmoor

Ivan
16-01-2011, 05:06 PM
hello everyone im new so please forgive mistakes and stuff. iam setting up a beautiful secret 12 acre site on my own land witch i have been working on for 2 years, hopefully for other like minded souls to enjoy was thinking first free camp for help and advice, hope it doesnt turn into one of those silly facebook things where millions turn up to wreck my long term plans. all the best marcus

Fletching
16-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Marcus and welcome!

I suggest you speak to Ash, Martin or Matt (founder and moderators) about this. Might help you coordinate/control access for you.

Cheers

Steve

Tony1948
16-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Marcus welcome to the forum,I bet in a couple of days you'll have a lot of frends from down that way.Most of the guys on this site now wot there about, and we all respect the land ,you will only get good &helpfull advice from the guys off this forum that turn up,...............atb.......TONY

Ivan
16-01-2011, 05:52 PM
thanks for replies do i put email address or tel no on here or would that be foolish ?

resnikov
16-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I would send a private message to Ash, that way no email or numbers are listed in the public domain.

Link to Ash's profile (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/member.php?1-Ashley-Cawley)

Then click "send Private message"

JonnyP
16-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Agree with the others.. You want genuine folk there that Ash can vouch for, not anyone just wanting to turn up and get lagered up..
A bit of help on the land in return for some bushcrafting is a great idea.. I have been involved in things like that before and it can work well if organised well..

paul standley
16-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Welcome Marcus... You probably didn't see everyone's eyes light up... I did :happy-clapping:

For sure, I think a few of us would really appreciate the opportunity for a quality site for bushcrafters. I'm in Wales but even so, I'd travel for the opportunity to spend a few days in a decent spot.

As others have said, Ashley (based in Cornwall) is site/forum founder and will see you right.

Paul.

Ivan
16-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks resnikov I have sent a private message to Ash will await his response or advice. Hopefully it will all come together and we will all be able to meet in the not too distant future. It is somewhere very special.

Marcus

Ivan
16-01-2011, 06:51 PM
quite surprised at initial response, just to whet the appetite direct access to the open moor, secluded and peaceful, natural spring water, woodland, beautiful running stream, plunge pools, natural shower, plenty of firewood, safe vehicle parking, only a 15 min walk to site. Camp together or spread yourselves out.

Marcus

Ivan
16-01-2011, 07:32 PM
finding it difficult to contact anyone to put me right, is it correct to ask anyone for a phone no ?

paul standley
16-01-2011, 07:43 PM
finding it difficult to contact anyone to put me right, is it correct to ask anyone for a phone no ?

Hi Marcus - Ashley, Matt or Martin check into the forum very frequently and pick up their private messages so for sure one of them will respond to you in the next few hours. I'm sure I can speak for them when I say that there is a great deal of respect for 'special places' and they will welcome the opportunity to work with you so if you are able to hold on for a little while, I'm confident you will be contacted. Thanks again for giving this forum's members the heads up on your place.

Paul

Martin
16-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I've literally just got in from two nights on the moor, taking Air Cadets on a Ten Tors initital training weekend. Would be interested to see what you're up to there Marcus. We are back in two weeks time so it would be great to see if we can hook up at some point over that weekend to discuss what you are trying to acheive.

Drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
16-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Marcus,

Sorry I have been busy/away today, but I think you've still got some responses quickly :) I have spoken to you now in the chatroom and via PM's :) Hopefully we'll see you in a couple of weeks on Dartmoor.

Thanks to everyone for responding in my absence, once we know further details and if it's appropriate to do so, I will update you all.

swkieran
16-01-2011, 10:24 PM
nice to say hello marcus and thank you :),its a brilliant idea you have people on this site are safe decent people so you wont have any worries there,but have a chat to ash as hes the pack leader,nice to have someone else from south devon on here aswell once i get my landrover fixed i dont mind giving you a hand,all the best and good luck in youre new venture

Ivan
17-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello Martin Sorry about delay in getting back to you - my computer skills are not up to scratch. Please feel free to give me a ring on 01364 xxxxxx. Look forward to chatting with you.

Marcus

Martin
17-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Hello Martin Sorry about delay in getting back to you - my computer skills are not up to scratch. Please feel free to give me a ring on 01364 xxxxxx. Look forward to chatting with you.

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, I've made a note of your number. It is a very good idea not to give your phone number or personal email address in an open forum. Sadly, too many odd balls out there who will try to take advantage of such information.

Martin

Ivan
18-01-2011, 05:33 PM
martin or ash anyone about ? only my email is down and wanted to ask you afew questions thanks marcus

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2011, 05:43 PM
martin or ash anyone about ? only my email is down and wanted to ask you afew questions thanks marcus
I'm in the chatroom currently :)

gregor
30-01-2011, 07:01 PM
hi there, very generous offer to let people use your land, it's not only hard to find a good spot but also one where it's legal to camp! Ash tells me it's a lovely area so look forward to getting the nod to be able to visit, chris and I are planning a trip to dartmoor in early march so maybe we can stop over, I hope ash will vouch for us both!

Ivan
30-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi gregor you and your pal would be very welcome just give us a ring or pm and i will sort it

Ashley Cawley
30-01-2011, 08:27 PM
hi there, very generous offer to let people use your land, it's not only hard to find a good spot but also one where it's legal to camp! Ash tells me it's a lovely area so look forward to getting the nod to be able to visit, chris and I are planning a trip to dartmoor in early march so maybe we can stop over, I hope ash will vouch for us both!
Glad you found the Forum bud ;) Yeah these two boys will be ok Ivan; they will know how to follow a leave no trace ethic :)

... gregor in the next 48hrs our friend Paul should be uploading photos from our weekend that we've just spent at Ivan's place.

Oh and another thing! Ivan's wood is littered with Birch trees :o which as we know are very useful for Bushcraft and if your going in March!.. Well that's the time to Tap them (second week in March (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wild-food/tapping-the-birch-tree-for-sap-in-march-collecting-birch-sap-a-clean-sugar-rich-water.html)) Obviously this sort of thing would need to be done with the agreed technique & permission of Ivan. Done correctly it won't harm the tree at all.

Infact this weekend I did mention possibly coming back in March for that very reason.

Ivan
30-01-2011, 08:49 PM
no worries ash send em on down and if the birch thing is of interest give us a shout ,we could bottle the stuff

happybonzo
30-01-2011, 10:28 PM
One word of advice: If you are opening a site up be careful. It will not take long for Devon C.C. to get wise to your plans.

As a woodland owner myself, I would also suggest the following - if you still run the place as a working woodland you need to think about where people "poo". There is nothing quite so distressing as hitting human excrement with a Brushcutter or a Flail Mower. You need to think about woodland bogs.

This website may give you some ideas LINKY (http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/2009/05/the-treehouse-diaries-a-throne-fit-for-a-king-andjeff.html#more)

Ashley Cawley
31-01-2011, 06:48 AM
That link looks interesting, thanks! - I bet Martin would love that toilet :p

Ivan
31-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Off to the hardware store for some decking off cuts 4x2 and a bog seat for me this morning then. any particular colour seat finish Martin ? the choices are wild cherry,light oak,beech or scandanavian pine. eagerly awaiting your thoughts, Ivan

Ivan
31-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Happy bonzo, good morning thanks for your thoughts , any tips or advice will be appreciated . As a fellow woods owner i would love to hear of pitfalls niggles etc. There wont be any strimming or flailing on my site so the flying poo thing wont be an issue ,but off course not everybody is so responsible regarding their movements. also with anticipated numbers of bodies i wiil have to do something fairly sharpish

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 07:52 AM
A problem that friends of mine in Fell country have found is regarding walls. People seem to want to take a c**p and then take a stone off the walls to put on top of the offering; not very nice when you have to go around replacing the stones.
Access? Make sure that everyone knows that there is one way in and out of the Wood. If you don't you'll get hedges and fences broken and/or torn down as people take short cuts
Make designated fire areas otherwise you get fire rings appearing everywhere.
This also helps to cut down the risk of fires getting out of control. I have found that old lorry tyre rims make good fire pits - half sink them into the ground and then if people want they can still use tripods with their Dutch ovens
Water?
3rd party insurance? Be very careful on this as signed disclaimers that "people are doing things at their own risk etc" are not worth the paper their written on if it went to Court.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but I have been through all this in one or another
It may even be worth your while getting an exemption certificate off DEFRA. There are companies that will process the paperwork for you and take a fee. You can do it yourself if you follow DEFRA's guidelines

Martin
31-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Off to the hardware store for some decking off cuts 4x2 and a bog seat for me this morning then. any particular colour seat finish Martin ? the choices are wild cherry,light oak,beech or scandanavian pine. eagerly awaiting your thoughts, Ivan

I don't care about the wood as long as the velvet seat cover is kept warm. ;)

Martin

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Perhaps a couple of little night lights?
No, on second thoughts... naked flames ,methane... :)

Ivan
31-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks happybonzo, nearly all my initial business will come through natural bushcraft, and we all know what a respectful bunch they are , and i am lucky enough to be close at hand to keep an eye on things, joking aside those loos look the part. My main concern is really individual insurance validations,costings,red tape etc but i am working on it.

Ivan
31-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Martin ive got you cerise pink dralon the velvet was too dear, and andrex extra soft in peach, that ok ?

Martin
31-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Martin ive got you cerise pink dralon the velvet was too dear, and andrex extra soft in peach, that ok ?

Cheapskate!!! :p

Martin

MikeWilkinson
31-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Work has been keeping me a little busy since new year, so not really been on much, if at all, just stumbled across this.

Fantastic news, Thanks very much for this Ivan. I hope to be able to get down sometime this year.

See Ash told you there was Birch down there!!!! hahaha.

Ivan
31-01-2011, 01:11 PM
More than welcome mate just give us a shout when you are ready, birch galore . Ivan

Ashley Cawley
31-01-2011, 04:09 PM
@happybonzo - I appreciate your willingness to share & help Ivan out, sounds like you've experienced the downsides to opening your woodlands up.

@Ivan - If we have more temperatures like we did on the weekend I think we should sculpture Martin a toilet-seat out of ice! ;)

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Ashley Cawley;6663]@happybonzo sounds like you've experienced the downsides to opening your woodlands up.

It is something that I am looking at. The biggest problem I have got is access. The woods are approached via the field margin and nothing short of a 4x4 will get round there. So parking is the problem seeing that the woods are beyond the Black Stump

swkieran
31-01-2011, 06:40 PM
hiya ivan is it devon cc were you are or would it be south hams dc,or teignbridge d.c,i think youre alright where the planning laws are concerned as youre woodland would be classed as greenbelt,i.e for grazing animals or keeping horses (stables).Not for the use of residential purposes,or to make a profit i.e rent so a few people camping out now and again would be okay with youre permission,only time the council might get shirty if we all descended like pikeys with caravans and wacked in roads et etc etc,as for insurance i wouldnt think you needed any, a sign detailing youre disclaimer something like you enter at own risk,fall and bust a leg or arm and its youre tough luck lol

Ivan
31-01-2011, 06:50 PM
hi kieran , we unfortunately come under dartmoor national park which is worse than all the above mentioned, they have their own set of rules, so for more than 28 days in a year it would require planning permission for change of use , but i am on the case , seeing as your awful scenario is highly unlikely to occur, i think we will be all right. as regards the insurance thing that is also in hand ,i have an educated archie working on it ,who charges like a wounded bull so had better produce the right result .but thanks for your input bud ,hope to meet you soon

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 06:53 PM
hiya ivan is it devon cc were you are or would it be south hams dc,or teignbridge d.c,i think youre alright where the planning laws are concerned as youre woodland would be classed as greenbelt,i.e for grazing animals or keeping horses (stables).Not for the use of residential purposes,or to make a profit i.e rent so a few people camping out now and again would be okay with youre permission,only time the council might get shirty if we all descended like pikeys with caravans and wacked in roads et etc etc,as for insurance i wouldnt think you needed any, a sign detailing youre disclaimer something like you enter at own risk,fall and bust a leg or arm and its youre tough luck lol

A Disclaimer is not worth *&(&6&* in a Court of Law. You, as landowner, will be held responsible but there are ways around this problem :)

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 06:58 PM
hi kieran , we unfortunately come under dartmoor national park which is worse than all the above mentioned, they have their own set of rules, so for more than 28 days in a year it would require planning permission for change of use

All you need is your DEFRA exemption certificate: As you rightly say, this allows up to and including 28 days including nights use without any further Planning Permission
Do you have to use all your 28 days in one go? Strictly speaking yes but a lot people use it as Friday, Saturday and site cleared Sunday. So that would give you 14 lots of income
You say that the woods are some 12 acres? Perhaps you could split the woods into 4 lots - if you understand what I mean.
I know that this the course pursued by the Camping & Caravan Club and also the Caravan Club. They have what are either termed "Certified Sites" or "Certified Locations" These limit a Landowner to having no more than 5 Tents/caravans/motorhomes at any one time. So what the site owners do is to divide the field up into smaller units and put on multiples of units
Remember, Confucius say "There is more than one way to skin a cat" :)

but i am on the case , seeing as your awful scenario is highly unlikely to occur, i think we will be all right. as regards the insurance thing that is also in hand ,i have an educated archie working on it ,who charges like a wounded bull so had better produce the right result .but thanks for your input bud ,hope to meet you soon

see above

swkieran
31-01-2011, 07:13 PM
youre very much welcome ivan:),im just going on an experiance one of my ex girlfriends dads had years ago, with a plot of greenbelt land i use to use it for my kawasaki kmx and we camped out in the summer etc with no problems,until he sold a bit off to a to a gypsy family who said they were going to use it for stables and a few horses lol :)funny looking back but almost over night they had a road built,plots laid out electricty and mains water all put in lol,the council went mad but obviously for a good reason.were all good people on here who would treat youre woodland with respect ivan i don't think any of us are gypsys lol,yeah be great to meet you ivan and the other lads :),dont think i couldve braved minus 5 thou :)

Ivan
31-01-2011, 07:19 PM
yes i should have known ,when a brass monkey stopped me and asked for a welder . it was mighty cold but we still had a great time

swkieran
31-01-2011, 10:17 PM
sounds like you had a excellent time and i missed out :(,theres other times ahead,the cold pales into insignificance wen youre with good friends,food and of course the beuty of south devon :)