PDA

View Full Version : Which type of rucksack/backpack do you prefer and why?

ADz
26-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi just looking for some idea of preferences and reasons as to which type of backpack you prefer, ie the bushcrafty Bergen style, a day pack or the full backpack style with back suspension/pads etc?

I have a Osprey Exos at the moment but been thinking about getting a more bushcrafty style bag but was wondering about the comfort and if they was as comfortable/easy to carry as the backpack style packs?

So...

Which type of rucksack/backpack do you prefer and why? :)

TheOutdoorist
26-05-2013, 09:36 AM
35l berghaus munro. well made, comfortable, quite light and good size for what i need :)

f0rm4t
26-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Berghaus Bioflex 60+15

The hip pivot point makes a long trek, effortless. Really comfortable.

Wouldn't call it a Bushcraft pack though, but I guess that's subjective too.

biker-bri
26-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Rucksacks are like a pair of shoes, what suits one will never suit another so always try before you buy - on impulse I bought a cadet army bergen its either 60 or 80 ltr and I hate it
the shoulder straps are narrow and it has virtually no padding on any part of the harness its the most uncomfortable rucksack I have ever had, looking at the newer ex army sacks the back systems
seems to be much more user friendly but they cost a lot more, I like the look of the Dutch 80 ltr bergen on military marts web site, its made by Lowe Alpine who also do a 55 ltr and a 40 ltr version.
so for me a daysack would be 30 ltr and an overnight / weekend one would be around 60 ltr, its the back - harness - waist belt system that makes or breaks a rucksack.
Cheers Bri

Johnnyboy1971
26-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Various, depends on duration and if I have to do much distance or carry lots of kit/weight.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/E648687C-013A-4EAD-8928-AB6408B533DC-5726-00000422FC15DEC7_zps4207a442.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0213_zps050e651e.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0113.jpg

ADz
26-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for reply guys.

Any names/models to go with them packs Johnny?

Johnnyboy1971
26-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Pic 1 is Lowe Alpine Strike
Pic2 is Berghaus Munro
Pic 3 is Karrimor Jaguar S75,Munro,Berghaus VulcanII and Lowe Alpine Salient.

Johnnyboy1971
26-05-2013, 11:11 AM
I also have a Lowe Alpine Strike
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/C21770EA-4C0D-411B-8B07-D32C40A700E0-7032-000005076720B6D5_zps1e6e16b3.jpg

All my LA packs are in the fabled olive green which is getting harder and harder to find.
I would really like a LA Saracen in OG too but won't hold my breath.

I don't have pics but I have also got an Osprey Talon, Karrimor Apalachian, Northridge Ballistic
And looking at buying an 80s Lowe alpine vector commando.

Sar-ian
26-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Adam, I have an army surplus 100 ltr bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches, its a little on the heavy side, but I can fit everything including the kitchen sink in it, there cheap as chips and incredibly robust. My day pack is a Gelert Nepal 65, big enough to carry everything for a long day out, or a quick "overnighter". And I use an "ops vest" as my out wi' dogs for a few hours carry, abit "Rambo-ish" but can carry everythig I need for me and the mutts... hope this helps, cheers Ian....

snowleopard
26-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I have a vango triset 25+4 sack, I can get all my kit for a night out on it.

Thanks

Joel

Silverback
26-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a later issue 120L DPM Bergan and a 35 Litre NI Patrol pack, usually use them for bushy stuff, lots of padded straps etc..I will sometimes use an issue ammo grab bag in conjunction with the patrol sac to give me a little foraging day bag..funnily enough my mountain sac, into which i can get everything summer and winter for 24 hour ops on MR jobs is a Berghaus extrem pro 45 L has very little padding the worlds simplest waist belt but is superbly comfy...its in red too :)

ADz
26-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Thnx for the info guys. I like my exos 46 but not the color so thinking of either getting the jungle green version or possibly getting a different bag in olive green as it would look more bushcrafty like ones pictured/mentioned above. I've been tempted by the one that Ash has in his video, cheap and is supposed to be comfortable, but going to have a look through all yours aswell :)

Silverback
26-05-2013, 03:55 PM
why not just get a OG rucksac cover ?, in fact i probably have one somewhere that you could have

ADz
26-05-2013, 04:01 PM
why not just get a OG rucksac cover ?, in fact i probably have one somewhere that you could have

Thnx for the offer m8, much appreciated but I think I'm gunna get the other version of exos or new bag. I would still welcome the OG rain cover though :)

jus_young
26-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Osprey Exos 46 in Jungle Green. It works and that's just how I like things.

ADz
27-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Osprey Exos 46 in Jungle Green. It works and that's just how I like things.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards, flogging my grey/red and getting the green version. I do however like the style of the plain army/bushcrafty style aswell.

Bernie
27-05-2013, 06:19 AM
To answer the title questions; the one I have, because it's the only one I have.

It's a Mamut (http://www.mammut.ch/en/productOverview/products_backpacks_trekkingruckscke_ch/Backpacking-backpacks.html) Furst, about 80l. Pretty comfy, and packs as much as I need. I can't find it on their website (probably too old now) but here's a photo of it "in action". :)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-M8yRvvSUzXw/T6aia2_Re3I/AAAAAAAABrs/hp_VHsAA5vQ/w820-h615-no/P5061532.JPG

Sar-ian
27-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Thnx for the offer m8, much appreciated but I think I'm gunna get the other version of exos or new bag.

Hey Adam, Abit cheeky I know, but, do you fancy donating your old bag to the "Northern Soul Bushcrafters Newbies Kit Appeal"T^

cheers Ian......

alvino78
27-05-2013, 12:48 PM
sabre 45 with rocket pouches fits all tasks for me comfy too!!8713

Silverback
27-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey Adam, Abit cheeky I know, but, do you fancy donating your old bag to the "Northern Soul Bushcrafters Newbies Kit Appeal"T^

cheers Ian......

T^

biker-bri
27-05-2013, 03:33 PM

cheers Ian......

You are welcome to the ex army one I have Ian along with the CABR but I will be keeping the pockets and yoke will bring them to the bushmoot in july.
cheers Bri

Sar-ian
28-05-2013, 05:58 AM
You are welcome to the ex army one I have Ian along with the CABR but I will be keeping the pockets and yoke will bring them to the bushmoot in july.
cheers Bri

Excellent, cheers Bri, the true bushcraft spirit alive and well in Wales,

ADz
28-05-2013, 07:03 AM

cheers Ian......

I would m8 but I would need to sell my current to fund for the new one as its about £120 new.

However, I'm moving house in a couple of weeks if things go well so once I'm settled in I'll be going through my gear and hopefully should have some spare items I can donate to the cause T^

Silverback
28-05-2013, 08:39 AM
I would m8 but I would need to sell my current to fund for the new one as its about £120 new.

Kind of negates the need for my OG cover then........I was trying to save you £120 but hey ho.....cant find it anyway

......but I have found an OG copy of an issue bergan cant remember the maker... needs a small frame repair which the NSB can have Ian

jacko1066
28-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi guys,

I use a black snugpak rocket pak for most things, works well as an overnight bag without the side pockets at 40l but put the side pouches on and it goes up to 70l

For longer trips in got a Lowe alpine 65-85 which is a beast and swallows everything I throw at it!!!

I do like the look of the sabre 45, looks like a cracking bit of kit!!

Cheers
Steve

Kernowek Scouser
28-05-2013, 11:05 AM
As as be said above, it depends on what I'm doing and what works for me, might not work for you, but here goes.

For just bimbles I have a recently acquired maxpedition versipack copy, snugpac response waist pack copy, either an old canvas or new waterproof French resi bag and a 10l cycling/hydro pack; to pick from. All have pros and cons and the factors that determine which I take out with me tend to be: weather (current & predicted), how far I intend to go, what I intend to do on the way and when I get there.

For bimbles and cheeky overnighters, I currently have three packs to pick from. The smallest is BCB 25l, which I recently used on my first solo overnighter of the year. I was up to the task, but I would not like to walk any great distance with this pack. Next is a 30l Lidl pack, which is made to a higher standard than you might expect, reasonably light, reasonably well designed, pretty roomy, water resistant and a pleasure to carry. This has been my default pack for quite some time now. Finally, I also have a 35l Karrimor day pack, which is similar to the Lidl pack, just has a bigger capacity main compartment.

For weekenders, meets and longer, I currently have 50l+ Austrian ALICE style pack and an 80L Gelert Rucksack. I can in theory get more into the Gelert pack, but it is awkward to pack and can be painful to carry over long distances. The AA is easier to pack and after some mods, a much more comfortable carry, but I still have further mods in mind to make it more suited to my needs.

I think the truth, despite the fact I am an unashamed kit magpie, is you are very unlikely to find any single pack that will suit every eventuality and the more you think about what you want / need / would like to do with a pack, the more likely you are to end up with several packs, bags, pouches geared to a specific activities (and need a bigger shed).

Or maybe that is just me.

Taking the Chinese versipack out with me this afternoon, should be fun.

Good luck,

Atb,

Colin

Ehecatl
28-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Adam, I have an army surplus 100 ltr bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches, its a little on the heavy side, but I can fit everything including the kitchen sink in it, there cheap as chips and incredibly robust.

+1

Sar-ian
28-05-2013, 03:04 PM

However, I'm moving house in a couple of weeks if things go well so once I'm settled in I'll be going through my gear and hopefully should have some spare items I can donate to the cause T^

Okey doke bud, lot of money to spend cause you don't like the colour, cheers Ian...

jacko1066
28-05-2013, 04:46 PM
As as be said above, it depends on what I'm doing and what works for me, might not work for you, but here goes.

For just bimbles I have a recently acquired maxpedition versipack copy, snugpac response waist pack copy, either an old canvas or new waterproof French resi bag and a 10l cycling/hydro pack; to pick from. All have pros and cons and the factors that determine which I take out with me tend to be: weather (current & predicted), how far I intend to go, what I intend to do on the way and when I get there.

For bimbles and cheeky overnighters, I currently have three packs to pick from. The smallest is BCB 25l, which I recently used on my first solo overnighter of the year. I was up to the task, but I would not like to walk any great distance with this pack. Next is a 30l Lidl pack, which is made to a higher standard than you might expect, reasonably light, reasonably well designed, pretty roomy, water resistant and a pleasure to carry. This has been my default pack for quite some time now. Finally, I also have a 35l Karrimor day pack, which is similar to the Lidl pack, just has a bigger capacity main compartment.

For weekenders, meets and longer, I currently have 50l+ Austrian ALICE style pack and an 80L Gelert Rucksack. I can in theory get more into the Gelert pack, but it is awkward to pack and can be painful to carry over long distances. The AA is easier to pack and after some mods, a much more comfortable carry, but I still have further mods in mind to make it more suited to my needs.

I think the truth, despite the fact I am an unashamed kit magpie, is you are very unlikely to find any single pack that will suit every eventuality and the more you think about what you want / need / would like to do with a pack, the more likely you are to end up with several packs, bags, pouches geared to a specific activities (and need a bigger shed).

Or maybe that is just me.

Taking the Chinese versipack out with me this afternoon, should be fun.

Good luck,

Atb,

Colin

Sorry to hijack, you aint got a link to the versi pack clone have you Colin?

Kernowek Scouser
28-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Sure, here you go Steve
Molle Tactical Utility Shoulder Backpack Bag SLR Camera Bag Pouch Rucksacks (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310643263239?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619)

£13.29 Free P&P (but dispatch is from Hong Kong, so it could take up to a month to arrive)

bearmills
12-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a mills 25l daypack and have just got an Austrian 45l rucksack with frame. It's so comfortable andbeing surplus with leather trim it looks great too. Ok it's not technical material.but it's made of canvas, it's built to last. No weight on shoulders at all.

Silverback
12-06-2013, 07:38 PM
welcome to the forum bearmills.....please pop over to the introduction thread and say hi to the members...whilst there you may wish to take a look at the forum guidelines

roberts
23-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Karrimor 75ltr for long trips and 35ltr for day trips plus also have old canvas bundeswehr rucksack and a small blue thing made in DDR , the last two only get used when in the mood

Silverback
23-07-2013, 02:44 PM
just got my hands on a replacement Cyclops Roc...somehow i reckon it will see lots and lots of use

bopdude
24-07-2013, 10:18 AM
I have an army surplus 100 ltr Bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches and a 5 ltr front pouch ( i think it is ) got it from a mate but on reflection I think it's a tad oversized lol, you can get a LOT of gear in there, too much.

woodsman
24-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I prefer a small sack with lots of straps on the outside. The one thing that really bugs me is when you put your sleeping bag into any bag, you lose most of your storage capacity straight away. So I keep my sleeping bag strapped to the outside wrapped up in an old waterproof bivi bag. I also have the matt rolled and strapped up to the outside. Now with that on the outside , I have plenty of room for everything else on the inside and only need a small nordic ex-army sack. Probably about 35-40ltrs. Cost me a tenner from Denbigh army surplus.

ADz
24-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I have an army surplus 100 ltr Bergen with 2x10 ltr side pouches and a 5 ltr front pouch ( i think it is ) got it from a mate but on reflection I think it's a tad oversized lol, you can get a LOT of gear in there, too much.

lol, Yeah I always tend to fill my bag and even a 40ltr gets quite heavy once finished so I would hate to try and imagine how heavy a 120ltr ag would feel on me. I keep telling myself next time cut kit down but then still end up cramming it in. I just got myself a Snugpak RocketPak and will be trying it out over weekend so will see if I can get my kit down to reasonable size/weight :)

I prefer a small sack with lots of straps on the outside. The one thing that really bugs me is when you put your sleeping bag into any bag, you lose most of your storage capacity straight away. So I keep my sleeping bag strapped to the outside wrapped up in an old waterproof bivi bag. I also have the matt rolled and strapped up to the outside. Now with that on the outside , I have plenty of room for everything else on the inside and only need a small nordic ex-army sack. Probably about 35-40ltrs. Cost me a tenner from Denbigh army surplus.

That's the main reason why I decided to invest in a down sleeping bag as they weight and pack down a quarter of the same rated synthetic. I have the Xero 350, Although recently I have been eying up some Snugpak Elites, probably a 3 or 4 as they pack down decent by the looks of things and I prefer the color. I dont really need a winter bag more then -5 as I prefer modular approach so can wear my softies in bag and not have to jump out of really warm bag in morning with hardly anything on into cold.

MadZ
26-07-2013, 10:12 AM
really great reviews here, thanks all been looking at surplus bags 80ltr + after reading some of the reviews and opinions of the others i will be trying before i buy, what i was looking to do was get all my gear for a week long trip at max in one bag and be able to do at least 30km a day with it, with out it killing me off, material is not an issue as would be grabbing some liners or dry bags anyway, as for weight im unsure of what an 80ltr can carry but at most ill be up to about 25kg to 50kg

my currant bag i use for everything is a Dakine 25ltr cycling pack with a 2ltr water bladder, this is ok for a long day trip but is not really designed for walking with and kills my shoulders off pretty quick after 10 miles or so, and when the bladder is filled good luck getting 25ltrs of kit in it and vice-a-verse, i can cram about 10-15kg into and onto it and its straps but its pushing the bags boundaries massively

cheers

Madz