PDA

View Full Version : uco candle lanterns good or bad??????

alvino78
17-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Can't decide i normally just take a candle but i do like the idea of either the mini or normal lantern whats your thought boys and gals???

jus_young
17-05-2013, 08:21 AM
I have the standard sized 9 hour version and love it! Have it going all night by the hammock so that I can find my way to bed after a few drinks around the camp fire, and after an urgent visit behind a tree at 3 in the morning :ashamed:

alvino78
17-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I have the standard sized 9 hour version and love it! Have it going all night by the hammock so that I can find my way to bed after a few drinks around the camp fire, and after an urgent visit behind a tree at 3 in the morning :ashamed:
i normally have a candle on the floor maybe some foil works a treat but i like shiney new toys!!!!lol

biker-bri
17-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I have had the 9 hour version for a few years now and it works really well - easy to clean and maintain and much safer than a naked flame, before becoming a tree dweller
I used to hang the lantern inside my vango backpack tent - it kept me warm on many a cold autumn night on the hills in snowdonia.
Cheers Bri

Big Stu 12
17-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I have got the 9 Hr version, and love it... give a nice warm glow handy when finding you way back to the pit, and just takes that chill off

Stamp
17-05-2013, 09:25 AM
How much light do they give off?

I've never used one, I just rely on my head torch.

snowleopard
17-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Lanterns for me!

Joel

baitman
17-05-2013, 11:42 AM
i used to use a tea light lantern when carp fishing in the winter. it was nice to have some background light when its black from 4pm till 8am. the one i had wasnt a uco, and i had to improvise a rigid container so it didnt break the glass.
i wasnt too keen on it for summer use as the nights are not that long, and i dont want to attract too much bug life into the bivvy. i prefer to darkness in the summer, and watching the night shift wildlife go by.

Big Stu 12
17-05-2013, 12:14 PM
How much light do they give off?

I've never used one, I just rely on my head torch.

As much as a candle....

only use mine to show where the pitch is so i dont lose it in the dark, and when I am in the sack....

Tigger004
17-05-2013, 01:18 PM
All comments taken on board, I have been looking at the micro with two tea lighters / or an oil burner insert....Keep the good comments coming and I'll spend some more money or if they go negative I'll save some money

Adam Savage
17-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I'd try and go for the standard size (9 hour) if you can. The micro is very compact and easy to get the tea lights for, but when they get hot and the wax has turned to liquid, the spring arms that hold the tea light can flip the candle over. This combined with the liquid nature of the wax and the holes in the bottom of the lamp, means it's not a safe place to be under it lol

jacko1066
17-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I've just got one of these also.

Not had a chance to use it yet but the candles seem to be a bit on the expensive side, does anyone use any different candles in there 9 hour uco?

Cheers
Steve

JEEP
17-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I have used the (standard 9 houer) UCO Classic lantern for a few years. I can highly recommend them.

As long as you do not shorten the chain, they are perfectly safe to use in a tent.

The only downside in my eyes is the price of the candles.

Adam Savage
17-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I've just got one of these also.

Not had a chance to use it yet but the candles seem to be a bit on the expensive side, does anyone use any different candles in there 9 hour uco?

Cheers
Steve

I have used the (standard 9 houer) UCO Classic lantern for a few years. I can highly recommend them.

As long as you do not shorten the chain, they are perfectly safe to use in a tent.

The only downside in my eyes is the price of the candles.

As you may know (Jakob :) ) there are a couple of alternatives, to the genuine candle.
Firstly, UCO make a paraffin/lamp oil insert, that is a little more expensive than a pack of candles (about £14 inc P&P, rather than £4), but a bottle of paraffin will last you a long time.

http://www.touring-gear.com/products/Oil-Lamp-Insert.html

Secondly, if you can find a supplier of standard candles, that have the same outside diameter (or near as damn it) to the UCO candles, you can cut them to length and use those :)

JEEP
17-05-2013, 07:35 PM
I have read several reports of the oil lamp insert leaking, so I have never looked further into that option.

baitman
17-05-2013, 08:08 PM
do the people that use these candle lanterns hang them up... :confused2:
i know they have a hanging handle or chain [depending on the model] but i always prefered mine to be sat on something solid, like a bucket lid or on the floor. this way the liquid wax was less likely to spill on my tea light lantern.

Silverback
17-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I'd try and go for the standard size (9 hour) if you can. The micro is very compact and easy to get the tea lights for, but when they get hot and the wax has turned to liquid, the spring arms that hold the tea light can flip the candle over. This combined with the liquid nature of the wax and the holes in the bottom of the lamp, means it's not a safe place to be under it lol

found this out to my cost......matted fur on my trapper hat :mad:

JonnyP
17-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Uco's are good, but don't buy the cheap replacement candles, get the genuine uco ones. The cheap ones melt all over the insides of the lantern and its a pain in the arse trying to clean it out..

saxonaxe
17-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Someone bought me the Mini version UCO lantern but I suffered the liquid wax trick too, all over a fleece. Pain in the neck!!
Gone back to standing a candle in a mess tin. I buy ordinary cheap domestic candles and cut them in half so they're not so tall and wobbly. :) Pretty safe if they fall over in the mess tin anyway.

jus_young
17-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Always hang mine off the hammock suspension, haven't fallen on the floor yet with it burning through. Like Jeep says, don't shorten the chain as it does throw off some heat.

AdrianRose
17-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant thread!!

I've been debating getting a UCO for a while now to go in my Lavvu tent but wasn't sure if they were worth spending my pennies on.

Thank you all so much for the opinions.

Ade

Ehecatl
17-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Been very happy with mine

Adam Savage
18-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Not heard about the leaking oil inserts :( Could be a safety issue there
The genuine candles are only around £4 if you shop about a bit, so worth it if you ask me, but normal candles of the same diameter, cut down, will also work. Maybe not last as long, but most are the same quality wax as the UCO, as long as you avoid £land candles lol

TheOutdoorist
18-05-2013, 01:16 AM
I have the UCO lantern in the picture and really like it. Not used often but I do really like it and have nothing bad to say.

http://www.rroutfitters.com/images/ucopicaastd.jpg

Only £12.95 too! http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/torches-lighting/uco-mini-candle-lantern.htm (no connection to seller)

Wardy
18-05-2013, 06:28 AM
These UCO candle lanterns look like an ace piece of kit been looking for something to hang with my hammock these look like they will safely do the job and there is a value pack sold on the bushcraft store for just under £25 including lamp fleece carry bag and 3 pack of candles might have to buy one :)

(I'm not connected to the seller in anyway)

jus_young
18-05-2013, 07:21 AM
There is also a neoprene case available that helps protect the lantern when in the depths of your pack. I think it was www.backpackinglight.co.uk where I got mine

JEEP
18-05-2013, 07:38 AM
There is also a neoprene case available that helps protect the lantern when in the depths of your pack. I think it was www.backpackinglight.co.uk where I got mine

I can highly recommend getting these.

Adam Savage
18-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I have the UCO lantern in the picture and really like it. Not used often but I do really like it and have nothing bad to say.

http://www.rroutfitters.com/images/ucopicaastd.jpg

Only £12.95 too! http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/torches-lighting/uco-mini-candle-lantern.htm (no connection to seller)

I think that's the mini. The do a micro, a mini, and the original/standard, if memory serves me correctly :)

EDIT: Just noticed you edited the part about the model name out :oops:

Silverback
18-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I have the mini..its the one where the glass slides into the outer....as for neoprene cases i use an old Led Lenser head torch one ;)

edit: no i have the micro ;)

baitman
18-05-2013, 11:39 AM
i did have the mini, but like the look of the micro as the glass part collapses into the body to protect it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UCO-Micro-Candle-Lantern-/370801940208?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLan ternsTorches&var=&hash=item56558496f0

or a bit cheaper [post free] but only in blue...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/uco-blue-micro-candle-lantern-camping-light-/370799120149?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLan ternsTorches&hash=item5655598f15

i just ordered the blue one T^

jacko1066
18-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Sorry chaps I should have made my point a bit clearer.

You have to use uco candles as they are a lot harder or the melting temp is a lot higher.
I heard it was a mix of parafin wax and bees wax but I can't be sure if that.

What I meant I had anyone had any joy using other candles where it didn't make a nasty mess?

Cheers
Steve

alvino78
18-05-2013, 11:59 AM
i suppose the accessories have their advantages too the reflective panel and the reflective lid.854685478548

Fraxinus
18-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I have the Uco 9 hr one and it has been very useful. We use it as a nightlight in the camper van a lot and was the sole source of heat in sub zero temps in Germany one xmas when the heating system failed ( it took 2 days for me to figure out the problem and effect a workable safe repair, leaving the gas cooker on was not an option)
I try to have it in my kit for most trips, I bought a bunch of candles on initial purchase and still have about 10 left, candles don't appear to have any best before date either!

Rob.

Adam Savage
18-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Sorry chaps I should have made my point a bit clearer.

You have to use uco candles as they are a lot harder or the melting temp is a lot higher.
I heard it was a mix of parafin wax and bees wax but I can't be sure if that.

What I meant I had anyone had any joy using other candles where it didn't make a nasty mess?

Cheers
Steve

Is that the tea light sized one you mean? Would make sense the genuine ones are harder. That would stop the "pop out" I would think.
I know UCO make 100% beeswax candles for the standard lantern, but also citronella and the standard candles too. Tea lights are generally paraffin wax I believe, which is why they turn to liquid at lower temperatures. I could be wrong, but that's what I have always been told :)

There are some nice hard wax candles that will work in the standard ones, but like I said, they need to be cut down to the same length as the proper job ;)

jacko1066
18-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Is that the tea light sized one you mean? Would make sense the genuine ones are harder. That would stop the "pop out" I would think.
I know UCO make 100% beeswax candles for the standard lantern, but also citronella and the standard candles too. Tea lights are generally paraffin wax I believe, which is why they turn to liquid at lower temperatures. I could be wrong, but that's what I have always been told :)

There are some nice hard wax candles that will work in the standard ones, but like I said, they need to be cut down to the same length as the proper job ;)

No mate, I am talking about the 9 hour candles.

Iv been told that if you dont use uco's candles then the heat that generates inside the 9 hours candle melts it before it gets a chance to burn down.

They have a super secret mixture or something that stops that happening lol

Cheers
Steve