PDA

View Full Version : Foldable shovel

Twangarang82
15-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey I have some basic equipment so far, but one of the things I'm not sure on is foldable shovels. Looking on the Internet there are some cheap ones at under £10 but I doubt they will last very well. Gerber have one at £20 but does anyone have any they can recommend or stay away from.

Or I could just pack a trowel out of my garden tools.

TheOutdoorist
15-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey I have some basic equipment so far, but one of the things I'm not sure on is foldable shovels. Looking on the Internet there are some cheap ones at under £10 but I doubt they will last very well. Gerber have one at £20 but does anyone have any they can recommend or stay away from.

Or I could just pack a trowel out of my garden tools.

Why do you need a shovel or trowel? Camped many times and never found a need to dig a hole other that for the toilet and every time a stick has done the job grand. Saves money, space and weight :)

tagnut69
15-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Pound land has folding stainless trowels for £1, or for bigger jobs army surplus entrenching tools can be had for around £5-10 on the bay

ian c
15-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I have used the issued folding shovel when i was serving and only broke 1, i now have a old american folding shovel that i use when i am ferreting and i have used it to dig to a depth of about 3 feet with no problems, i like this one as it has a wooden handle and feels comfortable use compared to the issued one although i think it is a little heavier, i have seen the cheap versions bend and break.

Twangarang82
15-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Wait I think I just found the ultimate shovel! http://youtu.be/6ryyAenmzHM it's like a multitool version!

The army surplus idea sounds good though. I can use a stick as a backup I suppose, it will save weight. but it makes the it easier having the right tool for the job.

Silverback
15-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Why do you need a shovel or trowel?

I have a shovel as part of my standard winter kit in the car...may as well use it for other things

OakAshandThorn
16-05-2013, 12:52 AM
In my parts, the soil is usually very rocky, but I manage quite well with my digging stick, which doubles as a staff ;).

TheOutdoorist
16-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Why do you need a shovel or trowel?

I only asked to give you my honest answer. Shovel for building and shovel for a toilet kit can give two very different answers. Sorry if it was read the wrong way :)

When I first bought kit for bushcraft I bought shovels/trowels ect and just never found a purpose for them other than toilet holes and its great to have a trowel but I try to keep my pack weight down so the digging stick is great for me.

Twangarang82
16-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Digging stick sounds good to me, easy to make and plenty of choice around. But still love my gadgets :D

snowleopard
16-05-2013, 07:05 AM
You could try the faithful tools version. The only time it gave me any bother was when I lost it!

Hope this is useful

Joel

shepherd
16-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Pound land has folding stainless trowels for £1, or for bigger jobs army surplus entrenching tools can be had for around £5-10 on the bay +1

if i think ill need one when out and about i take a normal small garden trowel... iv also taken a smallish shovel head, ground the 'blade' to a slightly more spiked end for penitration and made a shorter handle... works well on larger jobs, but very rarely needed.

Tigger004
16-05-2013, 12:12 PM
For toilet work I have a cheap plastic garden trowel, the great thing is that the little handle has a removable cap (great for loo roll)

Silverback
16-05-2013, 02:25 PM
For toilet work I have a cheap plastic garden trowel, the great thing is that the little handle has a removable cap (great for loo roll)

I like that idea...I dont take a shovel or trowel as a standard item a digging stick suffices...just being a tight yorkshireman i feel i need to get the value for money out of my folding shovel ;)

Old Guard
16-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Wait I think I just found the ultimate shovel! http://youtu.be/6ryyAenmzHM it's like a multitool version!

The army surplus idea sounds good though. I can use a stick as a backup I suppose, it will save weight. but it makes the it easier having the right tool for the job.

blimey the only thing it can't do, is make the tea !!!!

I am always a little cautious about items that are marketed as 'multi functional'

However, it does appear to be quite rugged !

alvino78
18-05-2013, 11:54 AM
folding stainless steel trowel works for me!!!

roberts
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I have a ex dutch army folding shovel which fits just great into the pide pocket on my sabre 75 I do find plenty of uses for it from digging latrines to digging water holes , burying caches of food for long trips to clearing snow for my winter basha and even used it to put my stove on in winter my old shovel I even fryed bacon on it

Tommy
06-08-2013, 02:42 PM
A folding shovel, you mean an entrenching tool. Are you expecting an artillery bombardment?

Why anyone would need anything more than a digging stick is beyond me. Are you going to dig a root cellar under the log cabin you plan on building?

beermaker
06-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I have an ex british army entrenching tool which I got off an army surplus stall years ago at a steam rally. It doesn't get used that often, but it's a godsend when it does. Really solid steel blade, also has a pick and good solid wooden handle and leather sheath. Worth keeping your eyes open for them, mine rides around in the car all the time and is compact enough when folded to fit in my pack.

Tommy
06-08-2013, 04:55 PM
@ beermaker

A "pick"! Are you prospecting for gold?

David_JAFO
07-08-2013, 09:00 PM
hello,
I would suggest the folding entrenching tool if you really do require such. Can be left open & affixed to the side or
back of your pack or folded inside the top flap. In the good old days the 58 pattern webbing had a full size shovel that
fitted between the Bergen & you back used it now & again on exercise but mostly left somewhere out of the way.
Good luck with your search anyway.
Regards
David

I have used the issued folding shovel when i was serving and only broke 1.

FishyFolk
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I have a shovel as part of my standard winter kit in the car...may as well use it for other things

Here a snow shovel is standard kit if you go into the hills in winter. You never know what weather will hit you, and you may have to dig yourself a shelter to wait out a storm...or to simply dig out a fire pit, or a make a nice sofa in the snow to sit and soak up the rays in.

David_JAFO
09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
hello,
Yes here too in Scotland harsh winter the snow shovel is packed light weight to boot :wink:
Regards
David

Here a snow shovel is standard kit if you go into the hills in winter. You never know what weather will hit you, and you may have to dig yourself a shelter to wait out a storm...or to simply dig out a fire pit, or a make a nice sofa in the snow to sit and soak up the rays in.

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I have used the issued folding shovel when i was serving and only broke 1, i now have a old american folding shovel that i use when i am ferreting and i have used it to dig to a depth of about 3 feet with no problems, i like this one as it has a wooden handle and feels comfortable use compared to the issued one although i think it is a little heavier, i have seen the cheap versions bend and break.

sounds like one of the shovels I have had since the early 70's, Half fold it for pick like digging, My oldest lad has it at the moment and its still in good nick,Ken

Silverback
09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
A folding shovel, you mean an entrenching tool. Are you expecting an artillery bombardment?

Why anyone would need anything more than a digging stick is beyond me. Are you going to dig a root cellar under the log cabin you plan on building?

I carry a shovel/entrenching tool everywhere in my van, mind you I do get off the beaten track doing SAR and when the snow comes its invaluable round these here parts, we regularly get 20-30 foot snowdrifts - OK no winters as harsh as Canada here but still makes the difference between getting to a SAR job or not, or an uncomfy night in the vehicle or a warm comfy one at home.

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I carry a shovel/entrenching tool everywhere in my van, mind you I do get off the beaten track doing SAR and when the snow comes its invaluable round these here parts, we regularly get 20-30 foot snowdrifts - OK winters as harsh as Canada here but still makes the difference between getting to a SAR job or not, or an uncomfy night in the vehicle or a warm comfy one at home.

Quite right T^ The motto of the wises, is etc,

Rasputin
09-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Play nice Tommy,lol

Adam Savage
11-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Digging sticks are basic and functional, and they are good for breaking up hard ground (as long as it's not too hard), but they rely on you scooping the spoil away by hand. If you are digging in certain areas, such as around old slate quarries, it doesn't take long for your hands to become red raw. Some kind of shovel would make life a lot easier, especially if you're digging a 3ft deep long drop ;)

@ beermaker

A "pick"! Are you prospecting for gold?

Picks have been (and still are being) used for breaking up rocky ground and compacted soil. You may be able to use other methods to do the same job, but it would take you a lot longer with a digging stick, or bar, as you don't have the same force. If you have a pick handy, it's always a more sensible option to use it. Once you get a rhythm going, it takes very little effort, and saving yourself effort keeps you from exhaustion :)
These tools have been used for centuries because they work, and often work well.

Rasputin
11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Digging sticks are basic and functional, and they are good for breaking up hard ground (as long as it's not too hard), but they rely on you scooping the spoil away by hand. If you are digging in certain areas, such as around old slate quarries, it doesn't take long for your hands to become red raw. Some kind of shovel would make life a lot easier, especially if you're digging a 3ft deep long drop ;)

Picks have been (and still are being) used for breaking up rocky ground and compacted soil. You may be able to use other methods to do the same job, but it would take you a lot longer with a digging stick, or bar, as you don't have the same force. If you have a pick handy, it's always a more sensible option to use it. Once you get a rhythm going, it takes very little effort, and saving yourself effort keeps you from exhaustion :)
These tools have been used for centuries because they work, and often work well.

Everything that has been said by everybody on the subject is correct, ATEOTD its all down to how much you want to hump in and out or what your needs are at different locations.

Old Guard
11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Everything that has been said by everybody on the subject is correct, ATEOTD its all down to how much you want to hump in and out or what your needs are at different locations.

Some how it always comes down to this !!

Rasputin
11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Some how it always comes down to this !!

Ime in Cefn glas, be here till lunch tomoz. you back home now Barry,Ken

Silverback
11-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Exactly...each to their own....

Adam Savage
11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Exactly...each to their own....

Yep. The world would be a very boring place if we all did things the same :D

Old Guard
11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Ime in Cefn glas, be here till lunch tomoz. you back home now Barry,Ken

Yes, just home