PDA

View Full Version : South Downs Way?

GaryBeaner
15-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm off on a jaunt walking the South Downs Way soon, just me and the dog. The internet says i should leave from Winchester and head down so the wind is behind me and the views get better as you go (apparently). 100 miles give or take, with a village about every 10-15 miles. So I'm thinking of going slow but steady and try for 7 days start to finish. I'll be taking a tarp, sleeping bag and a small cooker, but I don't think I need to go mad on the extras with all the villages along the way. I know all the usual stuff...safety, first aid kit, let people know etc.... just wondered if there were any particularly interesting spots along the way that might be worth a look at. Sacred spots? Conservation? Dogging areas?(kidding!) Weird? Anything interesting that will make me smile?:camping:

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 08:21 PM
hey buddy, how did it go? or have you not been yet?

GaryBeaner
31-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi there crazy!
Haven't been yet. Ended up spending ages in hospital, so am still getting my fitness back to somewhere normal. Still looking forward to it!!

Adam Savage
01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Hope you get fully up to speed soon, but 100 miles in 7 days is surprisingly tough going across rolling country. It's ok on the flats, but once you push your legs on the uphill it's easy for them to run away with you on the down lol. As long as your well enough when you go to give yourself the best possible chance.

JonnyP
01-04-2011, 07:28 AM
The South Downs way is a great walk, but you need good weather to get it at its best. I don't know the Western section very well, but have walked over most of the length.
We used to do a challenge every couple of years, by walking half the length in a day. (Eastbourne to Amberley). I had 5 goes at that and made it twice.
Its far better to take your time and appreciate the place though.
There are many areas of interest along the route, like Butser hill, Devils Dyke, Chanctonbury ring, Kingley vale etc etc. Lots of history along the way.
I have slept up there a few times, but have been found and told to leave once, so pick your site well if you are stealth camping.
You will get some great memories, thats for sure.. Have fun and enjoy the area.
oh, its hard on your feet with the knobbly flint, and has lots of ups and downs..