PDA

View Full Version : First bash at a spoon

f0rm4t
05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Didn't bother finishing the last one as it was so rubbish.

But I've finally got one I'm not ashamed to show you guys! :)

Thanks to Fish for the strop set. That, and some honing paste got my crock knives razor sharp, making life easier.

Going to whittle a log cabin next ;)

This is made from a bit of roof baton BTW ha!

ADz
05-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Looks great bud :)

I got myself a crook knife and will be ordering a new knife shortly so will give wittling a bash.

Is there any preference to type of wood or place to order a chunk online or does most woods do?

f0rm4t
05-05-2013, 08:33 PM
You're asking the wrong bloke Ad.
I used bloody roof baton! ha!

Kernowek Scouser
05-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Great effort fella
T^

snowleopard
06-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Nice spoon! Is the roof baton pine?

Thanks

Joel

f0rm4t
06-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Nice spoon! Is the roof baton pine?

Thanks

Joel

Not too sure, it's lite like pine but has a more smokey colour.

Anyone?

Ehecatl
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
You flash wosit. I await the thread called "How do I fix a leaking roof?" ;)

David_JAFO
06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
hello,
Plug it with the spoon you just carved out of the roof baton :oops:
Regards
David

You flash wosit. I await the thread called "How do I fix a leaking roof?" ;)

JonnyP
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I would not use that for food chap.. Roof baton is pressure treated with chemicals (tanalised) to help prevent rot.
Cut your self some fresh hazel or sycamore or birch or something.. It will cut a hell of a lot easier than seasoned wood.

rawfish111
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Took the words out of my mouth Jonny.

First one is a good feeling though isn't it Paul?

f0rm4t
06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I would not use that for food chap.. Roof baton is pressure treated with chemicals (tanalised) to help prevent rot.
Cut your self some fresh hazel or sycamore or birch or something.. It will cut a hell of a lot easier than seasoned wood.

Nah. I only used it as it was in the garage to hand after I'd finished honing the crook knives. a test if you like.
I'm out on Thursday/Friday so will defo be making life easier for myself.

Took the words out of my mouth Jonny.

First one is a good feeling though isn't it Paul?

Yes mate, 17th century carved angel replica next ;)

Ehecatl
06-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes mate, 17th century carved angel replica next ;)

That'll look great hung above your tarp :happy-clapping:

Fraxinus
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Any wood is fair game for practice runs and that is a darn good spoon from what can be a pig of a wood to use, so T^ for posting and +1 for JonnyP 's advice.

Rob.

Silverback
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Is there any preference to type of wood or place to order a chunk online or does most woods do?

go out for a wander and find a bit of birch from a recently fallen tree, why pay when you can get the pleasure of going off to find some for nowt, TreefrogGB made a lovely ladle during the saturday of the meet and Yungen carved a spatula from a bit of birch too

f0rm4t
06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
That'll look great hung above your tarp :happy-clapping:

I'll do one each for the next meet Matt ;)

MadZ
05-07-2013, 11:07 PM
ask around people you know get on the free and wanted sites be asking for fruit woods pear apple cherry black thorn plum all these are good carving woods, though black thorn can be a pig to work with

good job man

fish
06-07-2013, 09:38 AM
nice carving,as the others said try green wood,even a nutter like me wouldnt ude seasoned wood,way too hard for my delicate hands!lol

Mouse040
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Nice T^

MadZ
08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
nice carving,as the others said try green wood,even a nutter like me wouldnt ude seasoned wood,way too hard for my delicate hands!lol

@everyone if you have not used green wood much look for a book by mike abbot called green woodworking, working wood the natural way, very interesting explains loads from tools to pole lathes and how to make them and how to select green wood in such away that you minimize the risk of splitting etc nothing worse than spending hours making nice things just to come back and they have split.

@fish hot sand does wonders for delicate hands, put hot sand in a bucket and drive your hands through it repeat the process until your hands are like concrete, you'll be able to rub your hands together with an engineering brick between them and have not even a scratch, as a personal preference i use only seasoned wood for utensils and carvings unless im not bothered if the items i am making split or twist etc as the wood dries out

shepherd
09-07-2013, 08:05 AM
looks great, well done