PDA

View Full Version : Spring Mushrooms

_Matt_
03-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Anyone found any yet? I was hoping to come across some Calocybe gambosa but have quickly realised actually finding any other than by mistake is going to be very unlikely. It's easy to find stuff in autumn when there are mushrooms everywhere!

AdrianRose
03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Matt

So far I've found Oyster Mushrooms only.
The Calocybe Gambosa (St George's Day Mushroom) is a week and a half late here. There is a ring that has been growing here for at least six years that I know of that hasn't appeared yet.

Morels are due up here soon too hopefully.

Last year we did a big show where we were exhibiting wild foods and had a huge bracket of Chicken of The Woods at the end of May. So hopefully we'll get some more soon.

Ade

Geoff Dann
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Anyone found any yet? I was hoping to come across some Calocybe gambosa but have quickly realised actually finding any other than by mistake is going to be very unlikely. It's easy to find stuff in autumn when there are mushrooms everywhere!

I found a few, but only by going to exactly the right places, only one of which had produced any. It is, so far, a very bad year for this species. This is either because of the very cold March, or because they had a very good year last year, or maybe both factors together.

C. gambosa comes back in the same place every year. But yes, of course, you're right - finding fungi in the spring is not like finding fungi in the autumn.