PDA

View Full Version : Excited - First full 2 day hike.

f0rm4t
30-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Well It's booked. 2 days off work next Thursday & Friday, pink slip given by SWMBO.
Fingers crossed for the weather.

I'll be hiking from my doorstep heading south across some beautiful Kent country side to an undisclosed wood as my overnight location. R&R, chow, bit of whittling, bit of sharpening, bit of badger watching if I can find a set, bit of reading, then get my head down. Enjoy the "me time" as much as possible.
Up with the sparrow farts and onward. North east across more beautiful Kent country side, around and home.

This is what I'm considering a two day test hike. Pack weight is pretty big at the moment, around 43lb including water. I did 4 miles with it this weekend and it wasn't an issue. We'll see how a longer stint fairs I guess!

I'm looking to hike to my sisters in Crowborough from home in Gravesend in June, about 30 miles as the crow flies, so obviously more when walking the trails.
Also on the 2013 list is walking the entire North Down Way from Farnham to the White Cliffs of Dover. Not sure about the pink slip on this one though! May have to section hike it.

:happy-clapping:

Silverback
30-04-2013, 10:38 AM
T^ enjoy

wildish64
30-04-2013, 10:47 AM
sounds good paul,hope you have a great time T^

Ehecatl
30-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you as I'm off on the Friday too and will also be to the south. Pop in to my brother in laws wedding for a night cap! :p

Have a great time and remember that the "badger" rules apply to solo trips too.

Cheers,

M@

TheOutdoorist
30-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Sounds great! Enjoy it and don't forget the camera :o

Stamp
30-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Sweet! looking forward to seeing the photos:campfire:

alvino78
30-04-2013, 05:09 PM
T^ r+r at its best pal

Wardy
30-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Nice have fun can't wait to hear how you got on with the trip

f0rm4t
30-04-2013, 09:09 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you as I'm off on the Friday too and will also be to the south. Pop in to my brother in laws wedding for a night cap! :p

Have a great time and remember that the "badger" rules apply to solo trips too.

Cheers,

M@

Nice one Matt! I'll pop in for a cheeky Cognac before bed ;)

Cheers chaps! I'll remember to take some pics and get'um up post trip :)

fish
01-05-2013, 06:49 AM
dont forget yer camera!

snowleopard
01-05-2013, 07:35 AM
dont forget yer camera!

+1000000

JoelT^:camping:

f0rm4t
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Arrived, setup, brew on!
Knackered!

The wood that I spied to stay in for the night is not what I thought. It's achres of coppice. Has its advantages, dead wood everywhere.

Taken pics and video of the journey here. So will post once I get back after another 10 miles tomorrow.

Silverback
09-05-2013, 05:38 PM
T^

Ehecatl
09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh dear. I think Mark has been giving Paul camera phone lessons! :happy-clapping:

f0rm4t
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Give up! Stupid bloody iPhone!

f0rm4t
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Enjoying this!

Tigger004
09-05-2013, 07:52 PM
great to see this kind of thing on here, it's inspirational to so many, thanks

Ehecatl
09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Love the spoon! The photo is only 90 degrees out this time - good job! :o

Ehecatl
09-05-2013, 08:02 PM
P.S. What time are you dropping into the wedding tomorrow for your brandy? :cool:

f0rm4t
09-05-2013, 08:43 PM
P.S. What time are you dropping into the wedding tomorrow for your brandy? :cool:

I reckon I'll be all right mate. But thanks anyway ;) ha!
Cheers everyone, Bottoms up!

butchthedog
09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
I reckon I'll be all right mate. But thanks anyway ;) ha!
Cheers everyone, Bottoms up!

Now I'm liking that little receptacle, full of water I trust (fire water that is)

Gunny Webb
13-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Escuse me for being new here, but what are the "badger rules?"

Silverback
13-01-2014, 08:08 AM

Welcome to our little community... First rule is you go to the introductions thread and report for duty, and whilst there read unit standing orders he he Sorry couldn't resist

f0rm4t
13-01-2014, 08:12 AM

"badger rules?" Nope ...enlighten me. Unless you're talking about farting etiquette! Then Ehecatl will explain. :happy-clapping:

Silverback
13-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Oh and Badgers are a protected species here in the UK so its illegal to disturb thenm....period.....unless of course you're a government official with a rifle on an authourised cull...( Which was a faulure and the govt minister concerned blamed the badgersd for moving the goaslposts...sneaky badgers eh ?)

Humakt
22-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Also on the 2013 list is walking the entire North Down Way from Farnham to the White Cliffs of Dover. Not sure about the pink slip on this one though! May have to section hike it.

Did you do this?
It's something I have been meaning to do for some time. I've done just about all the Kent side, but only in sections.
Talking with my bushcraft companion yesterday and we've decided that this year we are going to do the whole thing in one whallop! Haven't decided which direction to do it in yet - merits and demerits to either option.
What it does mean, though, is that from tomorrow when I walk to work (as I do every day) I am going to walk the 3 miles there and back with my Sabre, all full up, to get used to continuous walking with the weight! Wonder what work colleagues will say...

f0rm4t
27-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Did you do this?
It's something I have been meaning to do for some time. I've done just about all the Kent side, but only in sections.
Talking with my bushcraft companion yesterday and we've decided that this year we are going to do the whole thing in one whallop! Haven't decided which direction to do it in yet - merits and demerits to either option.
What it does mean, though, is that from tomorrow when I walk to work (as I do every day) I am going to walk the 3 miles there and back with my Sabre, all full up, to get used to continuous walking with the weight! Wonder what work colleagues will say...

Sorry for the late reply.
No didn't manage it last year as I ran out of holiday. I did do a 2.5 day hike from home to my sisters in Crowborough, which was nice. just short of 40 miles.

My fitness was not really where I needed it to be either.
I would want to do the 156 miles in a week meaning 22 miles a day with a full multi-day pack. I just wasn't physically ready.

Post Christmas, I've eaten to much and haven't worked out enough so I need to sort my shop out!

Would love to hear your plans as and when you're making them though!

swkieran
01-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm only starting to explore Kent myself,as my brother and sister live up there, due to work and I'm the only one who hasn't emigrated from the West Country I think I'll die here lol,Kent has some lovely spots better than I expected being s close to London,I have a sister in faversham which is lovely town and countryside,and my brother lives further down in eythorne nr deal,a little bit more baron countryside there,would love a meet with some Kent people off here.

Midge_Fodder
19-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Last time I spent a night in kent it was in Reculver, coldest place on earth lol. Put it this way I slept in the car, it was either that or hypothermia. Kind of fancy exploring the south a bit more myself for a change.