PDA

View Full Version : What sleeping bag?

Wardy
18-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag I've had a British army sleeping bag for years and its nice and warm, but it's heavy and takes a massive amount of space. What do you guys use? Any suggestions on what's light and warm and small?

Cheers Dan.

Silverback
18-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a Snugpack Kestrel...and an Aztec Summit one. The problem with the Snugpack is that Im far too broad of chest and back for it. The Aztec is great wide enough but its down, then again in the depths of winter I use my issued 58 maggot and I always manage to keep it dry so having a down bag isn always too much of an issue

FishyFolk
18-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag I've had a British army sleeping bag for years and its nice and warm, but it's heavy and takes a massive amount of space. What do you guys use? Any suggestions on what's light and warm and small?

Cheers Dan.

I use a Jerven bag in the summer. This summer I've got a fleece liner in it for comfort. But the jerven bag is insanely expensive. And probably a little hard to find in the UK.

In the Winer I use another Norwegian bag, the jan Mayen Isbjørn, rated down to minus 40. It is huge, and weighs 3 kilos, but drag it on a pulk, so no problem. But all of this is of no help for you so I'll shut my gob now :-)

Wardy
18-04-2013, 07:54 PM
I use a Jerven bag in the summer. This summer I've got a fleece liner in it for comfort. But the jerven bag is insanely expensive. And probably a little hard to find in the UK.

In the Winer I use another Norwegian bag, the jan Mayen Isbjørn, rated down to minus 40. It is huge, and weighs 3 kilos, but drag it on a pulk, so no problem. But all of this is of no help for you so I'll shut my gob now :-)

Lol made me laugh though. All input is good input!

Wardy
18-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a Snugpack Kestrel...and an Aztec Summit one. The problem with the Snugpack is that Im far too broad of chest and back for it. The Aztec is great wide enough but its down, then again in the depths of winter I use my issued 58 maggot and I always manage to keep it dry so having a down bag isn always too much of an issue

With out being rude what size cheat are you think I'm a 38-40.

Silverback
18-04-2013, 08:02 PM
With out being rude what size cheat are you think I'm a 38-40.

Err... I was told recenty I have the physique of a silverback gorilla...6'2"... 17st and I have a 48 inch chest...and yes my waist IS smaller than my chest measurement

Wardy
18-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Err... I was told recenty I have the physique of a silverback gorilla...6'2"... 17st and I have a 48 inch chest...and yes my waist IS smaller than my chest measurement

Hehe thanks Sapper I've been looking at the snugpak seems a decent bag should fit in "snugly" 😄

ian c
18-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a british army artic sleeping bag, a jungle issue bag and a couple of softy sleeping bags softy 6 and 9 i mainly use the softy 9 in autum/ winter and i also have a poncho liner.

Kernowek Scouser
18-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Like Wayne I am rather broad in the chest, but somewhat shorter (if not that much lighter :shocked: heavy bones, obviously) so a LOT of sleeping bags are just not suitable for someone with my build, limiting comfortable sleeping to the few broad beam bags out there (I also have army Arctic bag which is comfy but massive, the Czech army bed roll (more massive and heavy) for cooler months and the lightweight US 'woobie' poncho liner for warmer months.

But as you are only touching 40 inches, your options are much more abundant.

The only thing limiting your choice is how much you are prepared to pay.

CanadianMike
18-04-2013, 09:53 PM
When I got my US Poncho liner, I loved it so much I bought a second one! Is what I sleep under in summer months, perfectly regulates the heat and is lightweight.

Tigger004
18-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I have the Corinthia Defence 4 - Army issue winter bag small pack size and Light with synthetic fill, It replaced a USMC ECWSS which I liked very much, the USMC system is very bulky and heavy

http://www.carinthiashop.com/en/

Neither are cheap but IHope this helps

Kernowek Scouser
18-04-2013, 10:14 PM
When I got my US Poncho liner, I loved it so much I bought a second one! Is what I sleep under in summer months, perfectly regulates the heat and is lightweight. They are a cracking bit of kit aren't they? Great for sleeping in or under and you can fashion a have decent hammock under quilt out of them too.

Definitely deserving of the woobie accolade.

Silverback
18-04-2013, 10:17 PM
They are a cracking bit of kit aren't they? Great for sleeping in or under and you can fashion a have decent hammock under quilt out of them too.

Definitely deserving of the woobie accolade.

I use one as an under blanket too :)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4668&d=1338206170

jus_young
18-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Rab Ascent 500.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-ascent-500-lz-sleeping-bag-p205142

It packs down small and weighs not a lot. Bulk is one of the things I am always looking at keeping down to a minimum and this bag helps a lot. As for the temperature rating, been down to negative figures in the hammock without getting cold feet. Its a long term investment as far as I am concerned so had no problem justifying the expense to myself, but then I didn't tell swmbo before getting it ;)

SimonB
19-04-2013, 11:08 AM
6' , 20st, 53" chest..... Army arctic slug for me... Got myself a little 1 season job too from aldi believe it or not...

Cosy warm on the last moot, Bringing both on this one.......

cuppa joe
21-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Carinthia defence 4 , vango venom 300 down , mountain equipment firewalker 1 and a snugpak softie 3 ...the defence 4 is an amazing bit of kit lofting like a down bag but it doesn't pack down very well and its 2kg.

ADz
21-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I was after a down based bag as they are warm, light and pack down really well. Only problem is that good ones are really expensive but I managed to nab a new Mountain Equipment Xero 350 of ebay for £165 (RRP £280).

Jefferson
21-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I bought a rab accent 900 from go outdoors in a sale for £200 and its brilliant!!! Pack size I'd say is medium, weight is light for its size, comfort is bloody comfy! I'm 6ft with a 44" chest and the bag is far from snug fitting and as for warmth it's lovely and warm (just how I like it).

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-ascent-900-lz-sleeping-bag-p205126

If you have the money to spend I would 100% recommend it.
I have also herd that alpkit have a very good range of bags available which I'm sure a lot of people on here would agree with.

Wardy
21-05-2013, 09:00 PM
I guess I need to save abit there are some real nice bags but as always you pay for lightweight and small

jus_young
21-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Definitely check out Alpkit as Jefferson suggested. This is one company I keep forgetting to check when looking at my purchases. Had I remembered then I would probably have gone with one of their bags rather than the Rab.

CanadianMike
21-05-2013, 10:04 PM
US Modular Sleep System for me (have two now), for most temps the bivy and green bag pack down small (basketball size), and works well, enough room for me. Obviously add in the black intermediate bag and the inner space is reduced a lot (even more if you stuff the sleeping pad inside the bivy), as well as the bulk and weight of the compressed size is increased by double, but that's only really for sub-freezing temps (did that a few weeks back, slept warm!) I love the modularity of it, and the excellent reviews it gets, even if bulky. Just means you can leave the tent at home. Lol

Kit Mac
21-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Have you seen the snugpak expanda panels? They fit any any bag in the softie range and add 50cm across the chest. I git one for my Hawk, kind of makes it into a center zip bag to boot.

cuppa joe
22-05-2013, 08:43 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300907622866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

FishyFolk
22-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Cheers Dan.

Will experiment with a fleece sleeping bag in bivi this summer. But have not used it yet. But it packs down quite small.

Kernowek Scouser
22-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Have you seen the snugpak expanda panels? They fit any any bag in the softie range and add 50cm across the chest. I git one for my Hawk, kind of makes it into a center zip bag to boot. Do you know if the expanda panels work with any other make of bag?

CanadianMike
22-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Will experiment with a fleece sleeping bag in bivi this summer. But have not used it yet. But it packs down quite small.

Interesting, I have a fleece sleeping bag liner, is thin, likely would work well in a bivy. Also have a jungle sleeping bag I received from Ian C two years ago, good compact little bag.

Hopey
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Tennier US Army sleep system. The bad parts, It weighs a bit at 5 kilos and the pack size is not small.(arguably I don't need a tent so it evens itself out) but it keeps me warm and dry.

Tigger004
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Slept in one of those in snowdonia in foul weather, fantastic until it was time to get up in the morning,

That's it in the closest black stuff sack, I'd guess at 40-50 litres

Hopey
04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I carry it in a 65 litre rucksack gives me enough space for clothes and other kit. It is bulky though

Hopey
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Slept in one of those in snowdonia in foul weather, fantastic until it was time to get up in the morning,

That's it in the closest black stuff sack, I'd guess at 40-50 litres

Its a great piece of kit its bulky but not too heavy. Can be found for about £50 on ebay .

FishyFolk
04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Interesting, I have a fleece sleeping bag liner, is thin, likely would work well in a bivy. Also have a jungle sleeping bag I received from Ian C two years ago, good compact little bag.
I was supposed to test it when I hanged out on the island. But chickened out and slept in my arctic winter bag...same as the one Lars Monsen used when he crossed canada from coast to coast :-)
Was a tad to toast in plus 12-15 degrees. lol

admo919
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
i have a Nanok -25, to warm for me, prefer the issue bags, i have a standard and an arctic, both fab for me, i do sleep warm though..... it may be the nightcaps that help! ;)

Vamvoukakis
06-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I myself sleep warm so no need for me to carry a huge super warm sleeping bag, I like to find a small pack size sleeping bag and line it with a silk liner (rab silk liners I find have space for larger build) then with a decent bivi bag I find that even in most cold weather I can sleep comfy with a 0 degrees rated sleeping bag.

In -9 iv used a liner, bivi bag and a vango planet 50 sleeping bag, with my regular clothes on and a exped synmat 7 and found it a comfy nights sleep.

Silverback
06-09-2013, 09:16 AM
.......Anyone else out there that DOESN'T wear their clothes to sleep in ? I usually pack a t shirt and ron hills to sleep in then put my kit back on in the morning....much warmer when you get up and less gopping too

ADz
06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
.......Anyone else out there that DOESN'T wear their clothes to sleep in ? I usually pack a t shirt and ron hills to sleep in then put my kit back on in the morning....much warmer when you get up and less gopping too

...Me.

I usually sleep in underwear in bag or thermal base layers if its a bit cooler.

In Winter I will likely wear softie suit. My down bag (ME Xero 350) only has comfort to +5 I think, so I prefer the modular approach, Its a great lightweight compactable bag for 3 season and then can wear softies in Winter with it and climb out of bag still warm instead of clambering to get gear on before my nipples and extremities fall off :D

Chubbs
06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
.......Anyone else out there that DOESN'T wear their clothes to sleep in ?

Up until last week I have only ever worn a t shirt and boxers in a tent, or more recently in my hammock. I find it uncomfortable and restricting wearing clothes, especially if I have left something in a pocket. Last week I used my Softie trousers and jacket for the first time with excellent results. I don't like to sleep hot so I had a few reservations about wearing them, but I found that they keep me at a steady comfortable temperature used in conjunction with my homemade underquilt.

Another good investment is a pair of these

http://militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2411

Once the thick label is cut out and they are turned inside out, they keep your feet lovely and cosy.

Silverback
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM
only time I have slept in my clothes is when on stag...or drunk..dont like to and nowt worse than getting into bed in a set of damp kit from sweat or the weather...used to put my kit at the bottom of my doss bag or use it as a pillow to keep it warm for the morning

them booties look great.....

Richie
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Like many, I have a growing collection of bags. My winter bag is the Alkit Skyhigh 800.
Only once did I wear my softies inside a bag and when I took em off in the morning I wondered if I had peed myself in my sleep. The condensation was unbelievable. I also made my own UQ which adds a bit of bulk but this year I'm going to try and rely on a Nalgene bottle with boiling water. I've just made a cosy for it in the hope of getting "slow release" heat throughout the night.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/eqabetag.jpg

FishyFolk
06-09-2013, 08:37 PM

In the army thay told us to sleep with as few clothes as possible, as it is your body heat that heats up the sleeping bag. Sp wearing clothes in the bag just insulates the bag from your body heat.
So thats what i always did.

But in the hammock in winter, I have changed to dry clothes before I kip in. Basically just a wool base layer and a fleece sweater. It just makes it so much better if I have a call of nature in the morning or during the night.

Also I use the hot water in a nalgene bottle trick. I put boiling water in my 32oz nalgene bottle, and put that inside the wool socks I have been wearing that day, and stick it in the sleeping bag.
That way I achieve several things.:

1. The sleeping bag is warm when I kip in - muy importante!
2. The bottle keep me warm all night. If I feel cold I put it between my legs, close to the femoral artery. Don't know if that has any merrit, but I usually feel instrantly warm if I have the chills when I get in.
3. My moist wool socks are bone dry and warm to put on my feet in the morning.
4. The water in the bottle is still luke warm and perfect for a face and hand wash before breakfast (skip this if it's very cold)

FishyFolk
06-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Like many, I have a growing collection of bags. My winter bag is the Alkit Skyhigh 800.
Only once did I wear my softies inside a bag and when I took em off in the morning I wondered if I had peed myself in my sleep. The condensation was unbelievable. I also made my own UQ which adds a bit of bulk but this year I'm going to try and rely on a Nalgene bottle with boiling water. I've just made a cosy for it in the hope of getting "slow release" heat throughout the night.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/eqabetag.jpg

You are going to burn yourself. put the bottle in the wool socks you wore all day. That way the sock insulate you from the boiling temp of the water as well as acting as a cosy for the bottle. And the socks will be dry and warm to put on in the morning. I do that with my Nalgene bottle and the water is still luke warm 12-15 hours after I put it in.

KevB
07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm still using a down Mountain Equipment, mummy shaped bag that I bought 40 years ago! A few leaks have been stoppered with plasters, but it still keep me warm in winter camps in Snowdonia and weighs next to nothing. Proves the long term value of buying really good gear. A cheapo bag (under a tenner) from Tesco has proved smaller and almost as light for summer use recently. I used that one in the Orkneys last August. I doubt it will last more than a couple of seasons, as the fabric is so lightweight, the stitching shoddy and the filling questionable.

Singsing
07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I use a Vango that you can buy in the go-outdoors stores in the u.k. whilst being fairly modestly priced, it comes packed with features.
very warm and made of decent fabric