PDA

View Full Version : Yet another wood gas stove !

John_McC
11-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi all been playing around with meths stoves for a while now and thought it about time I try a wood gas stove (WGS) so here is my attempt. The first video shows the parts and how they go together.

http://youtu.be/TRvodZ5wVLA

Second video show the gas jets.

http://youtu.be/9IKljPUs_hk

And lastly show the water boiling :happy-clapping:

http://youtu.be/osegV141yh4

The fuel used was cat litter (pine wood pellets) and only a small handful was use with about 30-40 mins burn time.

and lastly a still of the jets in action.

Cheers for looking John

Ehecatl
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
T^

David_JAFO
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
hello,
Tried these sometime ago. I swiped a handful from the bag in my mates garage,
yes they do burn well BTW. Might be worth checking out the £ stores etc.. for bags
of these alternative tinder/fuel :wink:
Regards
David
T^

John_McC
11-04-2013, 10:03 PM
They sure do burn well (leave just a little ash), got mine from Jollies pet stores for £2.05 for a 5L bag going to last a while judging how little you need to use T^

ian c
11-04-2013, 10:10 PM
That was Good to watch WELL DONE and thank you.

Tigger004
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Ingenious use of a second strainer pot to block off the middle portion of the burner, it wins top prize for that alone,

I found in a woodgas stove, it can be hard to add more wood pellets without creating a smokey burn for a short time, so I add more than needed at the start. hope that my explaination makes sense

John_McC
12-04-2013, 05:58 AM
I know what you mean Tigger when I first used the pellets I filled up the stove up, didn't think it would ever burn out. So next time under filled it and tried to add some more halfway through and yes smokey for a while. Now worked out my level for a 30-40 minute burn which should be enough for a brew and some thing to eat. Thing I like about the pellets is a medium size bag of them could last you a weekend away and if you run out always other stuff in the woods to burn. I may be sticking with meths for a day trips but defiantly think the WGS is the way I'll be going for longer trips.

BJ
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Good job and very well explained with the videos. thanks for sharing. T^

another addition to the "to do" list.

bopdude
12-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the video, just been / still am fiddling about making my own wgs, looking at yours makes me wonder about the hole size I have for the top section, too small on mine I think, I'll have to check poundland out as well, thanks for the tips and the video, and the explanation :) T^

John_McC
12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I'm so glad you all found this helpful I love playing around with stuff and find this site a wealth of ideas/help. Only downside is the number of can/tins I've collected much to the disapproval of the other half :oops:

Tigger004
12-04-2013, 10:21 PM
My missus has said to me " how many stoves do you need " oh and also about billies, oh and also about my other stuff...lol

John_McC
13-04-2013, 03:54 PM
My missus has said to me " how many stoves do you need " oh and also about billies, oh and also about my other stuff...lol

Yer know all about that lol T^

Realearner
14-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Love it, very inspired :happy-clapping:

SimonB
14-04-2013, 05:16 PM
T^

John_McC
18-05-2013, 06:01 PM
And now I have it's baby brother ! Azera coffee is half price at the moment in various supermarkets so got a half size can as a start for a pocket sized WGS next found a bread yeast tin that looked like it would do. Don't know what the staff of the shop must think as I'm always sizing up cans against each other anyway a few holes later and fitting it all together and this is the result.

Using the wood pellets again you get enough burn time to boil a tin of water to a rolling boil in around 4-5 mins and as you only use a small quantity of pellets which means yet again a small bag will last some time :campfire: this may end up replacing my meths stove in my day pack I'm so pleased with it T^

SimonB
17-06-2013, 09:41 PM
T^