PDA

View Full Version : which cheap bushcraft knife?

snowleopard
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Just want to know,

Joel

Yungen of Bury
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
no experience, but given that just about everybody will tell you that frost mora cant be beaten for the price, even pricier blades struggle..
that is of course, unless they dont speak english, are deaf, or otherwise cant communicate...

paulthefish2009
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Mora,no doubt at all

EJS
04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Ditto, voted Mora, have 2 and to be honest dont have any experience with other

blindgeekuk
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I bought a Mora Companion from amazon because it came well recommended on here, plus it was fairly cheap. Other than nearly slicing my hands to shreds, I've not regretted it. Having just had a quick look, the Hultafors are much cheaper than Mora's, to the point where if they weren't used by people here, I would expect them to be cheap and rubbish and would avoid buying them.

OakAshandThorn
04-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Mora all the way :D

Silverback
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Noooooooooooooo contest...MORA !

Old Guard
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Mora :jumping-joy:

alvino78
04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
mora!! lol

palerider
04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
i'm just starting out and ive got a mora, so im going with mora! T^

luresalive
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Moras are my babies but hultafors are decent too, if you're interested here's a link to them on my blog http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/mora-vs-hultafors.html

snowleopard
05-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone,

Joel

sjl14
05-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I would have said mora, however we bought some mora and some hultafors for our scout group and they are equally good. One of the leaders says he prefers the hultafors and he has had a few moras in his time.

nilo52
06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
WOW
It looks like a Land Slide !! I have done ALL the bushcraft stuff with my Mora Companion HD , Including batoning and processing fire wood. AWESOME KNIFE ! I learned about it here too ! VIV has done a nice sheath mod for lefties.
Nilo

OakAshandThorn
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
WOW
It looks like a Land Slide !! I have done ALL the bushcraft stuff with my Mora Companion HD , Including batoning and processing fire wood. AWESOME KNIFE ! I learned about it here too ! VIV has done a nice sheath mod for lefties.
Nilo
It's a brilliant knife, isn't it? :)

Tommy
10-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I wasn't sure what snowleopard meant. Was it the knife you have or the knife you recommend? So I went with the knife that I have and voted other.

I have for my general purpose/all purpose utility knife a “Gerber Big Rock” camping knife (it cost me $35 Canadian).

At the time I could have bought a “Light My Fire Mora” for $33 can. Or a “Frost Mora” for $20 can. I didn't like the handle on the Frost Mora and I didn't think that I needed another fire steel that came with the Light My Fire Mora. The Gerber is much more durable that the Moras and not much more money so I went with it.

The Gerber Big Rock camping knife has a good blade shape and size for a camping utility knife and I am happy with it. The handle has turned out to be too thin for comfortable use so I have double rapped it with para cord (15-20 feet) and now fits my hand much better.

I feel that the Gerber Big Rock is at the limit for size in a camping utility knife, any bigger and the Big Rock would be too big for general use. On the other hand with its size and strength It makes for a good survival knife.

CanadianMike
11-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Gerber has it's ups and downs over the years (same as Cold Steel, their knives have dropped off bigtime in quality, but their tomahawks are highly recommended, especially after refinishing and regrinding), never been high on my list, even before I starting learning more about knives and making them, but have a few Frosts Mora knives, and also bought the Light My Fire Mora two months ago, really the only stainless knife I own (I think, have many knives buried places), I quite like it. One can never have too many means to make fire, and I think the LMF Mora is a good choice as a belt knife for canoeing, boating, etc. as it has the contained ferro rod just in case. Feels like it'd work great as a fishing knife, and for food prep around the camp. I'd even trust it to baton soft wood (I use my own knives to pound through harder dry wood).

Tommy
11-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Hello Mike

You are right about having multiple means to start a fire. I just figured that I already had enough means and that the LMF Mora would be going a little overboard.

For fishing I use a J. Martini filleting knife from Finland. I also have a Martini knife with a Scandinavian grind that I use for dressing game.

As for the Gerber I view it like an Kalashnikov, durable and reliable if not the most ergonomic or most accurate (or the sharpest in the case of the Gerber). The Gerber is a jack of trades master of none. I use it as a work horse and use other knives for finer work. This has worked for me so far.

snowleopard
11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I mean the one you have.,

Joel

Big Stu 12
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Got a Mora Clipper, and have had for a few years, great little knife....

wilf
12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
mora all the way T^

Tommy
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
@ present 93% for the Mora

I think the Mora is a good knife but not that good.

It's the, “Cult of Mora”. :shocked: LOL

Old Guard
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
When bushcrafting on a budget, the Moras come cheap and with a good reputaton.

Are they the best knife out there ? probably not ! . Are they the best value with excellent performance ? undoubtedly Yes ;)

If I had the money, no doubt I would have more exotic equipment, but I guess a lot of bushcrafters / wild campers must be like me - Poor but happy :confused2:

OG

Tommy
12-04-2013, 04:54 PM
When bushcrafting on a budget, the Moras come cheap and with a good reputaton.

Are they the best knife out there ? probably not ! . Are they the best value with excellent performance ? undoubtedly Yes ;)

If I had the money, no doubt I would have more exotic equipment, but I guess a lot of bushcrafters / wild campers must be like me - Poor but happy :confused2:

OG

I am poor too (unemployed at the moment). I only spent a little more for my knife.

I just like stuff that can take a lot of punishment without the fear of it breaking. Equipment failure when you are deep into the Canadian wilderness can be more than an inconvenience. In a survival situation I want to be able to used my knife like a crowbar if necessary.

Wardy
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
@ present 93% for the Mora

I think the Mora is a good knife but not that good.

It's the, “Cult of Mora”. :shocked: LOL

True there is a "cult of mora" perhaps but surely it's a cult for a reason, well priced and decent enough for most bushcraft tasks I have one myself and I love it stays sharp and takes a beating

snowleopard
29-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for replying

Joel

backlasher
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I've got 3 Moras and am lusting after a Condor Bushlore.

luresalive
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM

As soon as you get one you'll go straight back to the mora!

snowleopard
05-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone who votedT^

Joel

JulesC
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to chip in with a few specifics - I have a Hultafors Heavy Duty GK, Mora Robust and my wife has a Mora Companion. My Scout Troop uses Mora Q 511 and I have used Hultafors
Craftsman’s Knife HVK with other Scout troops.

(IMO)

The Hultafors Heavy Duty has the wrong shape point, can't easily produce a depression in a hearth for bow-drilling. The grind is not quite right and difficult to sharpen, it has a second bevel I've got it there now. The Mora Robust is superb, I'm playing with rehandling and at the same time effectively shortening the blade as I want a 3.5 inch blade.

The Q511 is superb but I think the Hultafors just pips it, better handle, blade slightly heavier and stronger - but not sufficient difference to really judge.

My main knife is a 2nd/3rd/4th - maybe more - hand Mick Spain Bushcraft clone 4mm 01 tool steel etc. Like it but would next time get a slightly smaller slimmer blade, hence the work on the 3.5 inch 3.2mm Mora Robust.

SO FOR £10-15 Mora Robust EVERYTIME no doubts, no questions, no concerns absolute faith in it. Hope that helps or just adds to the confusion. ;-)

ADz
05-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Me too, Mine gets delivered today :)

MikeWilkinson
05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Mora all the way. If it is good enough for Mors as an edc it is for me.

MASC703
06-07-2013, 02:02 AM
I have several mora clippers, companions, Triflex bushcraft (my fav) and TopQ. I do however also like my hultafors GK as well. However, I don't really like plastic sheaths or the type of belt attachment they all have.