PDA

View Full Version : Honey buzzard sighting.

bigzee
04-04-2013, 11:19 AM
On Sunday I went for a walk in some countryside the other side of our nearest town to blow out the cobwebs of the last two days indoors. After parking the car I set off down a path, running down the side of some woods - the other side of which is a main A road. after taking a turn in the path to follow a field boundary and start my loop back towards the village where I started, I noticed a large bird circling overhead.

It caught my attention for some reason, and as it was flying over a line of tall trees, I assumed it was a Rook or something similar. However as I looked I saw it was some kind of bird of prey with quite a large wingspan, and far from the frantic flappings of a Kestrel - as it was sweeping round in slow circles. It reminded me of someone in a glider, as it was riding the air currents and the wings were hardly moving at all. Clearly I could see the markings on the underside of the wings despite the distance involved, and it had lines running parallel to the wing edges (a little like you see on "boy racer" models of new hatchback cars). Quite a large fan tail was also evident.

I reached for the digital camera - with the hope of using the zoom function to observe it more closely (snigger...no chance in the sky!), but shortly after that it had continued it's ariel traverse and zig-zagged off over the main road somewhere. I continued my walk back towards the village, and as I was stood pondering the technological layout of an automated HV pole recloser (yeah - saddo!), a lady on a horse appeared and engaged me in conversation. She asked if I'd seen any interesting wildlife today, and resisting the temptation to say that I found a woman in jodphurs an interesting lifeform, I told her of the bird sighting. She informed me that that would be the Honey Buzzard that was often sighted near the line of trees.

I have to admit total ignorance of the existence of this creature, but having "internetted" it seems that it's a pretty rare bird in the UK, so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with it. I'm thinking of a return trip soon with a view to getting a picture or two. People apparently tend to be vague with the location of sightings with birds like these on account of egg "collectors", so I'm a bit reluctant to shout about this too loudly.

Silverback
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
T^

luresalive
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Never ever seen one, you're a lucky man

biker-bri
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Check out the RSPB website, there should be a local group near you with a ranger who would be pleased to receive any information of sightings ( dates, times etc )
and yes you should keep the locality of the sighting Quiet,
Cheers Bri

Silverback
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I got to see lots of rare in the UK raptors yesterday - but i did go to a falconry conservation centre :).....sorry i'll get my coat

David_JAFO
04-04-2013, 07:07 PM
hello,
Great find. I would report the sighting to the RSPB as I'm aware they're not usually sighted in the UK
until May (I think?) so could well be an early sighting ;) I did see and record similar 2011. I reported
the sighting to the RSPB & was investigated. I returned to the site a number of times there after to
view this spectacular raptor in action. I totally agree be very careful of details online location etc..
as a protected species. Hopefully you'll share some photo's in flight etc.. later :wink:
Regards
David

Check out the RSPB website, there should be a local group near you with a ranger who would be pleased to receive any information of sightings ( dates, times etc ) and yes you should keep the locality of the sighting Quiet,
Cheers Bri

John_McC
04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Lucky you never seen one myself, but was out yesterday watching a peregrine near where it nests. Just love watching birds of prey and yes as other have said keep the RSPB informed and keep the location to yourself. Mind you if the twitchers get wind of it it'll be all over the net and local press !

John

jus_young
05-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I had one flying along by the side of the van a few years back. Surprised the hell out of me when I glanced out the side window and there it was, flying along, and stayed with me for some distance.

I also had to look it up when I got home as the differences were quite obvious between the Honey and our everyday buzzards when seen that close. When I relayed the story at one of our falconry meets (or an excuse to go down the pub on a regular basis :ashamed: ) everyone found it rather hard to believe but I knew they were out there.

bigzee
05-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Cheers for the advice gents.

I looked up the local groups on the RSPB site and have emailed the contact given for the one (I think) is the nearest.

I received a letter from my company today saying that as I had just completed ten years service, I could choose anything to the value of £250 from the enclosed reward catalogue! Top of my list at the moment is a better camera with a decent video facility and a 21 X optical zoom. Maybe I'll return in the near future and get some photos or footage of the unexpected bird....or even some of the honey buzzard!....ba-doom-tsshh!!!

David_JAFO
05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
hello,
I Thought this might interest you http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/honeybuzzard/index.aspx
there's a comparison link on the website as Honey Buzzards sometimes like Common Buzzards get mistaken
for Golden Eagles :ashamed: I had to go through the same I.D details to confirm my spotting. I'm not a birdwatcher
more interested in Raptors & spotting one or more out & about is a bonus. I'm lucky as I have at least 3 Peregrines
in my immediate area I can watch at close range, a few miles out got a 'Wave' of Buzzards counted 15 last time,
plus there's a single Buzzard I see on a regular basis quite used to traffic & pedestrians feeds near town.
Good luck with the spending spree too :wink:
Regards
David

rawfish111
05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
We get plenty of 'ordinary' Buzzards around the river I work on plus Peregrinnes nesting nearby that we sometimes see and an Osprey that visits in late March every year on its migration (I assume) but I've never seen a Honey Buzzard.

bigzee
05-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I was looking at this page yesterday, and is good for Id purposes. As for the spending spree - I'm definitely leaning towards the decent camera, as this would help with photographing and identifying animals such as these. Still no reply from the RSPB bloke - he might be on hols with the kiddies?

David_JAFO
07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
hello,
Bigzee PM your location details of the sighting & I'll pass them onto the RSPB forum.
Regards
David

Bushwhacker
11-04-2013, 04:23 PM
It may be a leucistic common buzzard rather than a honey buzzard