PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft newbie...:-))

palerider
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey guys!

got a few questions that youve probably been asked a million times before...sooo where does a newbie start with woodcraft???

what tools are required??

what wood is best to use??

what should a newbie first try and craft??

thanks Craig :)

rawfish111
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Would love to help but learning myself. I use the 'go for it and hope for the best' technique. So far have hit no major arteries!

paulthefish2009
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Not being funny but just get yourself a bushcraft type knife,get a bit of wood,any wood and just have a play.First thing I ever made was a spoon,to be totally honest it was a horrible thing but it taught me loads.my carving skills are still absolutely laughable compared to some others on this site but I do enjoy it.

Silverback
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Not being funny but just get yourself a bushcraft type knife,get a bit of wood,any wood and just have a play.First thing I ever made was a spoon,to be totally honest it was a horrible thing but it taught me loads.my carving skills are still absolutely laughable compared to some others on this site but I do enjoy it.

T^snap :)

palerider
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM

hahahaa cool, ive got a knife so i'll give it a bash......probably wont post pictures though lol

snowleopard
02-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Basic toolkit: mora knife and a few gouges.

Posh toolkit: mora knife, mora whittling knife, hook knife and a few gouges and sandpaper.

Hope that's helpful,

Joel

palerider
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Basic toolkit: mora knife and a few gouges.

Posh toolkit: mora knife, mora whittling knife, hook knife and a few gouges and sandpaper.

Hope that's helpful,

Joel

thanks joel T^

Tony1948
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Get you'r self a good hook knife,you'v got the knife and some green Birch and have a go

Tony1948
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
7609Trying to get this up7610

snowleopard
03-04-2013, 08:10 AM
hope its useful pale rider,

Joel

palerider
03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
7609Trying to get this up7610

they're awesome Tony!!

got a question reguarding the wood, you said green birch, is that live wood? sorry if thats a daft question...

CanadianMike
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Cedar is a nice soft wood to carve.....

Tony1948
04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Ya it's better to use live or green wood it;s softer,but not at the moment,I hav'ent tryed but Fish has and the sap is on the move so dont go chopping branches off the tree till the leves are out or droped.A nice wood is appal but let that dry for ayear or so,Lime is also a good one,you'r need a Hook or spoon knife there about £15 and then a bit of practise and you'll be there,I'v only been doing it a cuple of years7623

EJS
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Ya it's better to use live or green wood it;s softer,but not at the moment,I hav'ent tryed but Fish has and the sap is on the move so dont go chopping branches off the tree till the leves are out or droped.A nice wood is appal but let that dry for ayear or so,Lime is also a good one,you'r need a Hook or spoon knife there about £15 and then a bit of practise and you'll be there,I'v only been doing it a cuple of years7623

they are brilliant.

palerider
04-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the info Tony and those spoons you've done are superb, i'd love to be able to carve them!! :D T^