PDA

View Full Version : Naked and Marooned with Ed Stafford

Stamp
13-03-2013, 11:08 AM
http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/todays-top-tv/14-03-13/naked-and-marooned-with-ed-stafford

Naked and Marooned with Ed Stafford starts on thursday night, an interesting look at how Ed survives and deals with the loneliness of being stranded on an island.

I enjoyed his last serise "Alone in the Wild", however I didnt enjoy the endless amount of screaming into the camera! And it seems by the previews that this one will be similar. I must admit I would not deal with being alone; I can deal with a situation as long as I have company, just me and the dog would be fine or a friend but not alone. I don't enjoy a night alone in the woods at all, I need to have someone with me to enjoy it. I couldn't do what Ed's doing, it would drive me nuts.....

How do others cope with being alone? I understand some love solitude and I do too but not for any length of time, I miss contact with people too much.

luresalive
13-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I would love to be completely alone on an island, no one to rely on but myself, that's when I'd be at my best.

jus_young
13-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Solitude is pleasant on occasions, quite often I will be working alone. Longer term - not so sure about that one. I am a family man and my family means everything. A long weekend in the woods is a nice break from it all and chance to recharge the batteries but its always nice to get back home.

Stamp
13-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Being alone really doesn't suit me, I don't perform well in hard conditions. Its something I need to work on but not sure how? It's strange as Im more than capable, its all in my head.

Silverback
13-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Solitude is pleasant on occasions, quite often I will be working alone. Longer term - not so sure about that one. I am a family man and my family means everything. A long weekend in the woods is a nice break from it all and chance to recharge the batteries but its always nice to get back home.

T^

Love and care for your family always, and have the fierceness of a wolf in their protection.

blindgeekuk
13-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Having watched some of the preview vidoes for the series, I'd question its authenticity, and I know its not for me.

In one he's got a gopro strapped to his head so you can see him eat. but it keeps cutting to extremely hidef shots of him eating and talking to and the shelter he's built. Tech like that doesn't like sand, and isn't small, its not something he'd just rig up and leave.

Then theres shots of him throwing away clam meat or a gecko's heads. If he was serious about surviving he'd use them as bait to catch fish.

Finally, theres the fact that I don't really want to watch a show of a man wandering around naked except from a modesty skirt of grass complaining at a camera about how hungry he is

blindgeekuk
13-03-2013, 11:30 AM
When my first wife left me, I'd drop my son off with her on a sunay evening, and then pick him up on a friday evening, and not speak to anyone in between. I'd lose my voice during the week from lack of use, or the first time i'd speak i'd think it was someone else because it sounded wrong. I think i'd go a little crazy if I was on my own all the time.

Stamp
13-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Then theres shots of him throwing away clam meat or a gecko's heads. If he was serious about surviving he'd use them as bait to catch fish.

If its like the last series he had basic supplies and had to be resqued due to his heart beginning to pack up. He never did enough foraging or hunting, made loads of mistakes and would of paid the price if wasnt rescued. I exepct it to be difficult viewing...

rawfish111
13-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Sometimes it is good to be alone in tough situations, we can be our own sternest critic if we can be honest enough. I used to pack a Bergen and basha and disappear for a bit (pre wife and kids) and enjoyed it greatly although never for a huge amount of time due to work etc.

I think I'll be giving the series a miss though as just the above post about him throwing scoff and bait away whilst wearing a grass skirt and whingeing was enough for me.

"Love and care for your family always, and have the fierceness of a wolf in their protection. " 100% agree Sapper.

nilo52
13-03-2013, 11:34 PM
NOT going to do ANYTHING with a guy naked ! .... NAKED CHICS............ YES T^

Silverback
13-03-2013, 11:40 PM
.... NAKED CHICS............ YES T^

Eugh animals ?

nilo52
14-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Eugh animals ?

No silly, Ahhhh , what you call "birds" skirts, BABES, WOMEN !.......now that I think about it,I guess they could ACT
LIKE an animal. Woof. WOFF !

Craig_88
16-03-2013, 06:03 PM
from the adverts he looks an idiot. I can appreciate being on an island and actually doing it is harder than saying what you should do but when hes sat there saying "I need water" my first reply was go get some then he should have the know how of how to create or filter water to be drinkable.

Basha72
17-03-2013, 01:26 AM
His walk along the length of the Amazon was a challenge & half, I haven't yet managed to watch any of this programme, shame it sounds like a deranged man gone wild !

Dave

Stamp
17-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I watched the first episode, it was quite good. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

owen
17-03-2013, 03:58 PM
think a lot is played up.... first thing he does when getting there...(well fed and watered) is to start on the coconuts????
then left the important tasks like fire and a recce of island until he's nearly dead.

Stamp
17-03-2013, 08:53 PM
think a lot is played up.... first thing he does when getting there...(well fed and watered) is to start on the coconuts????
then left the important tasks like fire and a recce of island until he's nearly dead.

Quite possibly, I guess its made for TV so if he got there and started a fire, found a water spring, trapped a goat and made a coat while stuufing his face in the log cabin he just built; it may not be such good TV.......;)

owen
18-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Quite possibly, I guess its made for TV so if he got there and started a fire, found a water spring, trapped a goat and made a coat while stuufing his face in the log cabin he just built; it may not be such good TV.......;)

very true.. but dosen't send out right message to viewers who use tv programs like that as a learning aid. my 12 year old daughter was even saying .....wouldn't like to be stuck on island with him...lol

beermaker
18-03-2013, 10:50 AM
T^

Love and care for your family always, and have the fierceness of a wolf in their protection.

Definitely agree with this statement Sapper. I love spending time alone but the family always come first in all cases.

As for the programme - saw the adverts and got the impression it would be a bit of a gimmicky programme aimed more at "good entertainment" rather than quality information. I know The Bear can be a bit gimmicky too, but at least it's generally sound information presented in an entertaining way.

MikeWilkinson
20-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't understand the negativity towards this from you guys. From watching the first episode it appears quite good.

In terms of what he does and does not do in relation to survival is pointless as you are not, nor likley to have been in his prediciment.

Saying he should have done this first or why has he not managed this yet is a pointless exercise. You are not dehydrated, starving and isolated whilst trying to carry out some of these tasks. How many of you have managed to light a fire first time with no tools what so ever with unfamiliar flora? I've tried, took me the best part of a day of solid trying using nought but a stone and willow, doubt I could have done that whilst trying to locate water and food at the same time.

It is also worth remembering that you are only seeing snippets of his time there and in most cases just the most entertaining and dramatic parts.
In terms of comparing this to dual survival and born survivor, you have to remember that in both of these, they usually have basic tools and salvaged items - a knife at the least. Also the goals of born survivor and dual survivor are short term survival - get lost, get rescued. The goals in this program are entirely different, get lost with nothing, live long term (bushcraft). In essence this is the rawest elements of bushcraft skills linked to survival with no tools and limited (island) resources.

The man has done some impressive things in his life and has spent time learning the skills to do this, so calling him an idiot is a little unfair.

The comment about he should know how to create or filter water to be drinkable is highly amusing - what is he going to use to make a filter - he has no tools - he also needs a water source to filter in the first place - if it was that easy people in third world countries would not be drinking contamintated water or dying of various water bourne diseases.

If you really sit down and think of all the things he needs to do and how he has to do them with no tools, then getting a fire going in 13 days is quite an achievement. And before anyone shoots me down for saying that, walk out into your local woods right now with nothing but your clothes on and light a fire!!!

I for one am thrilled at his daring to attempt this and the fact that he has got Discovery to sponser and document it. So sit back and enjoy, not analyse his every action.

Apologies for the rant, but I hate it when a 'people' belittle the achievements of an individual from the comfort of an arm chair. If you really want to do that then try doing some of the tasks first - fire lighting, water purification, shelter building, make clothing - do it all with out tools and somewhere unfamiliar. If you manage one task per day I would be impressed.

Mike

Stamp
20-03-2013, 12:33 PM
T^

Well said Mike! I think we all could learn alot from it, I have already said I couldnt do it as i just can't deal with not having anyone around. I think 13 days in I would be in a lot worse condition than Ed.

MikeWilkinson
20-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I would have to agree. I'm quite capable of doing the required tasks with tools and safe in the knowledge that I can always bug-out or get help.
Going Naked into the wilderness is quite a diffierent concept than just basic bush or wood craft.

Last year I set myself a series of challenges based on the whole concept. Light a fire with no tools, build a shelter with no tools, create clothes etc... But they were all done as seperate entities and not as one BIG challenge. Based on that I have big respect for anyone who attempts going naked into the wild jsut for a couple of weeks, yet alone 60 days.

I look forward to seeing how he gets on. I've just bought his book regards his Amazon trip, hopefully get a bit of insight into the man.
In terms of his daring and adventerous spirit I put him up there with the other great british modern explorers like Benedict Allen.

nilo52
20-03-2013, 11:43 PM
STILL NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH A NAKED GUY ! :tongue:
(Kidding)
Nilo

Stamp
21-03-2013, 05:34 PM
STILL NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH A NAKED GUY ! :tongue:
(Kidding)
Nilo

Yeah Yeah......:p

paulthefish2009