PDA

View Full Version : hammocks

rodger55@blueyonder.co.uk
07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi guys
Does any one here use a hammock very often? I've been thinking of getting one for a while
but I wonder if the sleeping position makes your back ache.

Silverback
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I have a Tw basic hammock and a DD Frontline, and its the best nights sleep i have ever had

Ehecatl
07-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi Rodger.

I don't sleep in my hammock enough! But, when I do, I sleep very well. If anything, I find that sleeping in a hammock helps my back after the rigors of commuting and the time spent sitting at a PC thereafter.

Only last weekend with the "Breakfast Club", I dozed off to sleep, gently rocking in my hammock - never done that in a tent!

M@

butchthedog
07-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Excellent night's sleep in a DD Frontline, only had this one so can't compare with other makes although some are wider than the DD and that's got to be better still.

The Joker
07-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Once you've got the set up right, best nights sleep ever.....T^

Stamp
07-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I have a DD travel hammock, its excellent. I tension the hammock so it doesn't bow in the middle, I lay flat and can even manage to slepp on my side comfortably.

JonnyP
07-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Once you've got the set up right, best nights sleep ever.....T^

T^

FishyFolk
08-03-2013, 05:31 AM
The plan is to go out for my second winter night in a hammock this weekend...provided those arctic low pressure zones ease off. The first was 2 weeks ago. Went into the hammock around 10 in the evening, and woke up 9 in the morning. 11 hours of sleep. Have not done that in a bed for a while. But then we do have a toddler at home to tell us when it's time to wake up :-)

Ina tent I hardly ever get a shut eye....

Oh and mine is a Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL. The XL is for extra wide. So I lay completely flat, and can sleep on my side, or curled up, whatever I like :-)
But at almost 2 kilos it's a bit of weight to lug in. But it's a double hammock, that is this one has a and under hammock that can be taken off and used as hammock in it's own right. Or attached to the hammock as an under hammock with velcro to protect the underside and your under quilt. It becomes a nice storage area off the ground as well. But there is no double layer to isnert a sleeping pad if you wist to do that. But with an under quilt there really is no need for it.

happybonzo
08-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Matelots in the Royal Navy used them for enough years. The only time they suffered from a bad back was when got a lick of the Cat... :)

garethw
08-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi there
Hammocks are great I sleep in mine as often as I can. I started off with a DD hammocks travel and now use a Warbonnet blackbird.
I'd say the main thing is to avoid the mistakes that will put you off hammock camping.

Use a simple whoopie sling/tree strap suspension. Easy to set up and light, saves messing around with all sorts of stretchy ropes and big old buckles and caribiners. You only need one knot the Marlin spike hitch.
Don't pull your hammock too tight or you'll get a ridge down the centre that is uncomfortable. Conversely don't hang too loose our your back will suffer. Get the right hang and you can sleep pretty much on a diagonal and comfy.
Don't get cold. Even on a spring or summer night the temperatures can drop and your back get cold... use a sleep mat or underquilt to insulate your back.
Personally I find a centre zipped sleeping bag used upside down as a top quilt works just fine with my underquilt and I always fell really snug. It can often be a bit of a wrestling match to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock....
Watch Shug's videos.

cheers
Gareth

The Joker
08-03-2013, 07:28 AM
If you use a hammock ridgeline connected between the two ends of the hammock. You can adjust the amount of sag by adding more tension or by loosening the ridgeline, so each time you use your hammock it is exactly the same as you had it the last time you used it.
If you imagine everytime you set up your hammock the tree's you tie to are different widths apart then each time you use your hammock the sag will be different to. But with a ridgeline will always be the same.
If you have the correct sag with your hammock and sleep diagonally in them you sleep flat. Mine I can even lay face down if I want to.

The Joker
08-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Personally I find a centre zipped sleeping bag used upside down as a top quilt works just fine with my underquilt and I always fell really snug. It can often be a bit of a wrestling match to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock....

Same asT^ except I use an exped kip mat instead of an under blanket.

jus_young
08-03-2013, 08:58 AM
...Watch Shug's videos.

Agree with that 100%

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2188-shugemery-and-his-crazy-hammocking-adventures

f0rm4t
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Find your personal setup preference and you're laughing.

I've struggled with sleep in my DD Frontline until last week at "The Breakfast Club" meet, and I I've found my secret formula!

1. Don't have your hammock ping-tight, make it a banana. (I always thought tighter, the flatter. Wrong!)
2. Under blanket + Mat in cold weather.
3. Hot water Nalgene bottle to pre warm the flock and keep you cozy!
4. Ear Plugs, ear plugs, ear plugs! (Thanks Ashley!)

...That, and your own bodyweight in Port & Brandy! ;)

My personal preference.
T^

FishyFolk
08-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Why do you need Ear plugs?

f0rm4t
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Why do you need Ear plugs?

I wake on a mouse's fart ;)

FishyFolk
08-03-2013, 11:53 AM
I found the trick to getting into the sleeping bag last time I was out.

1. Have a ground sheet to stand on under the hammock
2. Get into the sleeping bag by sitting in the hammock first, and put your legs in. Stand up on the ground sheet and pull the zipper up to about under your arms so that you can have your arms free.
3. Hold the back of your bag up by putting the hood over your head.
4. Get in, and you should be home free.

5. The ground sheet is also nice as an admin area. to store stuff on. And you can get out of the hammock without putting your shoes on to get stuff.

BJ
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM
There's a lot of good tips here that I have taken note of, That's what makes this forum work so well. There is always someone who asks the right questions and the answers cover all of the things that matter. T^

f0rm4t
08-03-2013, 01:59 PM
There's a lot of good tips here that I have taken note of, That's what makes this forum work so well. There is always someone who asks the right questions and the answers cover all of the things that matter. T^

hear hear! :happy-clapping:

suggy
08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi guys
Does any one here use a hammock very often? I've been thinking of getting one for a while
but I wonder if the sleeping position makes your back ache.

See if you think this hammock looks comfy ! I'm going to clone one for a DIY project.

Plus what a better salesman to push it on you than Shug ? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsBGnwTi00

suggy
08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh no its happening again :evilgrin:

Just sent 'em an email about shipping to the UK

Stay strong, must resist

08-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Fantastic response guys,
and thanks for all the advice. I never thought of sleeping crossways.
Guess I'll be getting a hammock pretty soon

Ehecatl
09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Fantastic response guys,
and thanks for all the advice. I never thought of sleeping crossways.
Guess I'll be getting a hammock pretty soon

"You have been assimilated"

M@

Silverback
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

M@

resistance is futile

Sar-ian
09-03-2013, 12:58 PM

M@

I would like to assimilate with 6-of-9.........:off-topic: sorry............. away to lie down in a darkend room......

09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Does that ASSIMILATED thing mean I'll have to walk with a stick?

old dog new tricks
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
i think it's seven of nine or has she got a younger sister! lol

10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I'll have either

fish
11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
been there done that,you try living with the b**ch! lol