PDA

View Full Version : Military background.

avalon
01-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Was just wondering, after reading some posts on another forum, if the majority of people on here have a military background or wish they did. I don't mean to be rude but it does appear that many people have an interest in bush craft because they are army wannabes or have a military background. I myself appreciate that many military survival skills can be used to live off the land in an emergency situation but I think bush craft is more about living with nature and going with the flow than it is about battling with nature.

lostspaceboy
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
No i have never been in the military nor have i ever wanted to be, well maybe when i was 5 but then agian i think all kids want to be at some point . It was the scouts , climbing , hill walking and camping that got me into bush craft

Bernie
01-03-2013, 09:00 AM
I was, but didn't want to be. I think the experience was good for me, but growing up with two brothers and an ex-scout leader father are the things that made me love camping and being outdoors with a knife and axe. I like woodworking too, so carving and mucking about with a stick is fun too. :-)

I think army training CAN be beneficial, but it's no indicator of ability or knowledge.

BJ
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
7279 3rd from left, second row. :rolleyes:

Kernowek Scouser
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
7279 3rd from left, second row. :rolleyes: ...and I'm the one with the perm and the 'tach standing in the line behind BJ :D

Seriously though, I've never been in the military, but if using some surplus gear enables me to better enjoy the outdoors, more comfortably camp and share a laugh around the campfire, I can live with people thinking I'm a wannabe.

butchthedog
01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Hello boys, I thought I reccognised you two, that's me front row with the big gob. :)

ian c
01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I have always had a interest in the outdoors, i go vermin shooting, fishing, trapping (snaring) i can remember getting my first air rifle at about 10 then progressing to rifle/shotgun, then i joined the army stayed in for just over 25 years.

treefrog
01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Having structure in my life would make my head explode....I'd rather be a vagrant than a soldier.:zombie-fighting:

JEEP
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Spent ten months at a museum doing community service in stead of serving, almost had to go to prison for refusing to serve in the danish army.

I don't mind soldiers (a lot of my friends are proffessional soldiers/officers) - but I cannot accept the fact that Denmark still uses an antiquated draft system, forcing people to serve against their will.
Had it been voluntary, I might have considered joining.

rawfish111
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Served as reg and TA before that Scouts then cadets and honestly think that bushcraft wise it is an equal balance if you love it you will become good at it, if not you will not regardless of any military history

FishyFolk
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Here we go again ;)

National service in the Norwegian army plus some deployments as a volunteer from the army reserve to Lebanon and the Balkans.
Still in the reserves but my regiment does not exist anymore, and I have not been on a retraining excercise since 1995. But was in the Balkans in 2000 after a 3 month crasj course as an infantry soldier (I grew up as a scaley)
Got 3 years left of my conscription ...

Realearner
01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Who cares what background, as long as everyone is enjoying it I don't give a ¥#%# and everyone has a different reason.
Well that's my pennies worth.

BJ
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello boys, I thought I reccognised you two, that's me front row with the big gob. :)

an I'm the one with the perm and the 'tach standing in the behind BJ

http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/fun/s0225.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/s-fun.php) I've just logged in and spit my coffee over the keyboard. :happy-clapping:

Tony1948
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I was in the Salvation Army for about 2 min got chucked out for blowing my own trumpet:war:

BJ
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I was in the Salvation Army for about 2 min got chucked out for blowing my own trumpet:war:

http://yoursmiles.org/bsmile/fun/b0201.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/b-fun.php)

rawfish111
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
http://yoursmiles.org/bsmile/fun/b0201.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/b-fun.php)

+1

Tigger004
01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
+1

+1 more

Silverback
01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I was the 9,999 th bloke on the balcony at 14 Princess Gate

paulthefish2009
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeh,the I remember now,I was standing right next to you! Seriously though Sapper,one of my "mates"really was there. Paul

OakAshandThorn
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
+1 more
....and me ;).

Silverback
01-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeh,the I remember now,I was standing right next to you! Seriously though Sapper,one of my "mates"really was there. Paul

and seriously...so was one of mine....well his older brother was.....my mate followed him into the ooligans a couple of years later

OakAshandThorn
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I attempted to join the military at the tail end of high school, but that never worked out due to my heart murmur (has it ever affected my physical activity? - no, but MEPS would hear none of it). I did take 4 years of Air Force JROTC and loved every moment of it, even through the bad times.
But I definitely have to to agree with Realearner - what matters is that we all enjoy bushcraft :).

Silverback
01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
....When i was in North Africa I went toe to toe with Rommel in hand to hand combat behind a sand dune...pull up a sandbag, water fairy I want to tell you a story

f0rm4t
01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
SAS 25 years ;)

...biggest regiment in the British Army, everyone been in it apparently! Ha!

Nope, no service for me.

JonnyP
01-03-2013, 08:18 PM
TA for 5 minutes. I passed the tests n had fun doing them, but then got really bored after that.. Also I hate being woken up early..

Like some of the other answers lol :0)

Stamp
01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I myself appreciate that many military survival skills can be used to live off the land in an emergency situation but I think bush craft is more about living with nature and going with the flow than it is about battling with nature.

I have a huge respect for anyone who is or has been in the forces and many do get into bushcraft. I like your statement about going with the flow and not battling nature, if you can except your situation and embrace it you will enjoy the experience more.

I would prefer to use the term "wild living" instead of survival or bushcraft, I want to live with the land and nature, take minimal equipment and let nature provide. For now I am happy with bushcraft, but I think bushcraft and survival are as different as Ray M and Bear G.....

Buy the way, I wasn't in any kind of army as I didnt think I could handle the discpline.

Ehecatl
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Flying Officer Ehecatl ~ RAF VR (T)

Opal
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM

I was told about you when I was given a bowl of soup by one young SA girl.

beermaker
01-03-2013, 10:14 PM
My uncle drove tank transporters if that counts? :D I've never had aspirations to be in the military, but I was in the cubs, the scouts and the venture scouts, and then volunteered with the local scouts, as well as being brought up in a farming family so always been outdoors. I only stop in because my daughter is 19 months - when she's a bit older she'll be learning the finer points of shelter building, sailing, fishing and firelighting with her old man!

beermaker
01-03-2013, 10:16 PM
ok, I confess I thought about joining up with the Engineering Corps when I graduated from University, but I was seduced into working for Nissan instead, and then went into teaching! But now I teach on a farm too so thats ok!

happybonzo
02-03-2013, 07:18 AM

A little bit escaped :)

Silverback
02-03-2013, 07:55 AM
A little bit escaped :)

At least someone got it........;)

I never wanted to be a soldier anyway......I wanted to be.....A LUMBERJACK, leaping from tree to tree

leon-1
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I have always been interested in the outdoors, pretty much as far back as I can remember.

I did join up though and spent a little time bouncing about.

OakAshandThorn
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
....When i was in North Africa I went toe to toe with Rommel in hand to hand combat behind a sand dune...pull up a sandbag, water fairy I want to tell you a story
I knew Patton was still alive! LOL :happy-clapping:

Silverback
02-03-2013, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dr7mGa91wBY

My Hero......... ;)

rawfish111
02-03-2013, 10:00 PM
loved them muzzle flashes!!