PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags infomation overload

f0rm4t
23-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm looking to spend some decent money on a new bag and obviously want to get it right.
Well this article gives you some great info, from EN testing methodology, to fill powers, even down to the differences in down. :)

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag-backpacking.html

CanadianMike
23-02-2013, 10:12 PM
US Military Modular Sleep System (MSS), just because it's modular and comes with it's own bivy bag. Heavier but you only need the full thing to sleep down to -30C.

f0rm4t
23-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Nice one Mike!

That looks like a very good system!
The best I've found is $235 incl P&P, new on ebay.

Does that sound about right?

CanadianMike
23-02-2013, 11:15 PM
I bought mine for $70 (not including $50 shipping) from ebay a few weeks ago, liked it enough I didn't want to separate it if I neede lighter, bought the bivy and green patrol bag (separately) for about $70 shipped.

You are in the UK, hard to say I suppose, I'll take a quick look around for best price plus shipping. BTW, don't discount used, everything I've gotten is used yet is top notch, the compression sack has a little tear though.

CanadianMike
23-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Here's a cheaper one, in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-Forces-Issue-Modular-Sleep-System-with-Goretex-Bivvy-NEW-/380581932242?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item589c736cd2

claverhouse
23-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Temp rating on the USMSS is a military survival one, not a comfort one, rating is for 4 hours sleep only and you need to be using all parts of the recommended ECWS clothing with it.

f0rm4t
23-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Fantastic, thanks Mike!
I found one for £60ish delivered, and bought it.

I was going to spend a few hundred pounds on a bag, so this is a real result. Big & warm, but I can use modules depending on weather. Perfect. I was going to buy a bivibag as well so this has killed two birds with one stone!

Chuffed!

CanadianMike
23-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Temp rating on the USMSS is a military survival one, not a comfort one, rating is for 4 hours sleep only and you need to be using all parts of the recommended ECWS clothing with it.

Obviously, but for camping/bushcraft use, it's way more than enough, how many of us will go camping in -30C weather and enjoy it fully dressed anyways? Not me, and I'm Canadian!

Fantastic, thanks Mike!

I was going to spend a few hundred pounds on a bag, so this is a real result. Big & warm, but I can use modules depending on weather. Perfect. I was going to buy a bivibag as well so this has killed two birds with one stone!

Chuffed!

Lol, awesome, was a shot in the dark mentioning it on your thread, glad you ran with it and got something you look forward to using. I came across it through friends in the US and amazing reviews on it, the main one, actually made a snow cave yesterday in his yard and slept all night in it with the full MSS, his wife said it was about 9F outside with windchill of about -2F (which makes it cold).

Before I bought my first one, I id a lot of review searching and review videos, most videos are guys just setting up in their living room, not my preference. My buddy Justin did a video of the bivy bag itself, let his 6 year old daughter take the hose to him while he was in it, pretty funny. But this video here is the best I've found by someone who has used it for a few years, and is taken in the woods with a poncho shelter set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQjHn-CKXk

FishyFolk
24-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Obviously, but for camping/bushcraft use, it's way more than enough, how many of us will go camping in -30C weather and enjoy it fully dressed anyways? Not me, and I'm Canadian!

Lol, awesome, was a shot in the dark mentioning it on your thread, glad you ran with it and got something you look forward to using. I came across it through friends in the US and amazing reviews on it, the main one, actually made a snow cave yesterday in his yard and slept all night in it with the full MSS, his wife said it was about 9F outside with windchill of about -2F (which makes it cold).

If he was in a snow cave the temp in there would have been around zero celcius (32F), or even a degree or two warmer and wind chill would be none, as he would be out of the wind. That is the whole idea behind the snow cave as an emergency shelter. It's relatively warm compared to the the temps outside, and you get completely out of the wind.

Else the US army bag looks good. Wish I had found that one before I got my Isbjørn Jan mayen he he. But I got a very good sleeping bag now. Lars monsen used it in in his 3 year expedition crossing Canada from coast to coast :-)

BJ
24-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Fantastic, thanks Mike!

Chuffed!

Will you do a bit of a review on it when it arrives please, I like the look but have a problem with some mummy bags because of the size across the shoulders and my reluctance to feel too constrained. great price for the whole thing. T^

CanadianMike
24-02-2013, 01:10 PM
If he was in a snow cave the temp in there would have been around zero celcius (32F), or even a degree or two warmer and wind chill would be none, as he would be out of the wind. That is the whole idea behind the snow cave as an emergency shelter. It's relatively warm compared to the the temps outside, and you get completely out of the wind.

Else the US army bag looks good. Wish I had found that one before I got my Isbjørn Jan mayen he he. But I got a very good sleeping bag now. Lars monsen used it in in his 3 year expedition crossing Canada from coast to coast :-)

Ya, I know, I'm Canadian afterall, made snow caves when I was a kid. Hehe, but ya, it wasn't to test out his bag in that temp so much, he was demonstrating the snow cave and his MSS, but I think he did it more for fun. ;)

f0rm4t
24-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Will you do a bit of a review on it when it arrives please, I like the look but have a problem with some mummy bags because of the size across the shoulders and my reluctance to feel too constrained. great price for the whole thing. T^

No problem JB. We (The South East Group) are out this coming weekend, so naturally, I hope it arrives by then! I'll gladly do a bit of a review post this. I think it's going to be cold so should be a good environment for a test.
I'm the same as you on my feelings on Mummy bags, as I'm a big lad with wide shoulders and like a fidget in the night. But I've resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to get used to it, besides, I've got no foundation to dislike mummy bags as I've never slept in one ...I've just got an *idea* I'd not warm to them (excuse the pun).
This bag is a perfect as I'll not be spending £200+ only find out I hate it :shocked:

...I've got to say though, a Gortex bivibag + two modular bags and a 9 strap stuff sack for £60 delivered has got to be my all time star buy. I just hope I like it. eek!

Thanks again to Mike!

Ehecatl
24-02-2013, 01:47 PM
No problem JB. We (The South East Group) are out this coming weekend, so naturally, I hope it arrives by then! I'll gladly do a bit of a review post this. I think it's going to be cold so should be a good environment for a test.
I'm the same as you on my feelings on Mummy bags, as I'm a big lad with wide shoulders and like a fidget in the night. But I've resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to get used to it, besides, I've got no foundation to dislike mummy bags as I've never slept in one ...I've just got an *idea* I'd not warm to them (excuse the pun).
This bag is a perfect as I'll not be spending £200+ only find out I hate it :shocked:

...I've got to say though, a Gortex bivibag + two modular bags and a 9 strap stuff sack for £60 delivered has got to be my all time star buy. I just hope I like it. eek!

Thanks again to Mike!

Looking forward to have a peek at the modular system next weekend

M@

f0rm4t
24-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Looking forward to have a peek at the modular system next weekend

M@

T^

CanadianMike
25-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Most welcome F0RM, I'm looking forward to using mine out camping, but have to wait a couple months. I'm 6ft and around 170lbs, I find the black bag inside everything has less room than I prefer when sleeping but I want a lot of room overall, and I'm a side sleeper, so this works ok for me. Just the green bag inside bivy is roomier though, as the inner bulk is built up from the outside in with this system. BTW, did you know the black bag has double insulation at the feet?

Since I mentioned it, here's the video my buddy Justin did with his snow shelter and his full MSS Friday night, sounds like he roasted himself good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYioy6dJ7ns

CanadianMike
26-02-2013, 10:04 PM
New video by my buddy Justin, in the snow shelter, focusing on the MSS itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WdM0RxVdy2M

f0rm4t
26-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks Mike.

It came today. Chuffed!

First impression. Wow it's big! ...not as heavy as I thought though.
Will do a review as soon as I've used it some.

CanadianMike
27-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Excellent, glad you like it! BTW, the bivy and green bag together packs up about the size of a basketball and doesn't weight that much, maybe half the total weight.

Tigger004
27-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I have had one of the usmcss for a few years, IMHO for hammocking in uk cold weather make sure you have something under it like a sleep mat,
Cold butt syndrome and cool shoulders can be evident, I just use a car windscreen protector to reflect heat and it works well,
Foot note... the weight didn't bother me but the size is massive just about 50 litres at a guess.

Having said all that, I love it, a good nights sleep is worth the effort of getting it there.......one more thing, back to basics, go to bed warm and well fed makes a big difference for me....but then I hate hunger..lol