PDA

View Full Version : Yet another meths stove !

John_McC
23-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Ok I know everyone's made at least one and some a lot more and for the the most of it they're all as good/bad as each other, well here is my latest attempt. It's based on a groove type stove and has a flame guard/pot stand to boot as well. In the first picture you can see the four main components, the base to the stove is a cut down deodorant can and the groove part is the bottom of a energy drink can. The flame guard/pot stand is an old ally grill.

Next the complete stove

In use with out a pot just to show the height of the flame

And now with a pot on, see how the flame is contain with in the guard/stand

I've yet to try it out in the field as ran out of meths due to trying different set ups, oh and note the nail varnish remover bottle contains meths just recycling :happy-clapping: I'm hoping that by containing the flame more of the heat goes into heating the underside of the pot and not over spilling and so wasted heat ?

Cheers John

rosseveritt
23-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Looking good m8. Well done. T^:)

Tigger004
23-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I Like the pot stand, it's the sort of material I never seem to have lying around,

f0rm4t
23-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Yep ...Like it mate!
T^

John_McC
23-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks all, on initial tests (indoors) water seems to boil quicker with the guard than with out and the meths seems to last little longer too, will do some more in depth tests and timings as soon as I replenish the meths. I do have a wind shield as well to use outside which I will use when testing outside see below.

bigzee
25-02-2013, 06:36 PM
That's a nice original looking idea. I like the collapsibility aspect of it.

Well done that man, and keep on tin-fiddling!!

Silverback
25-02-2013, 06:40 PM
T^