PDA

View Full Version : Smock Recommendations

Kernowek Scouser
22-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Morning all,

Recently, I've warmed to the idea of expanding my bushcraft wardrobe to include a smock and wondered if any of you good people would care to share your recommendations with me.

I am toying with this one
Windproof Fleece Lined Traditional Style Smock (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/windproof-fleece-lined-traditional-style-smock-812-p.asp)

But I am open to being pointed in the direction of a more technical / pockety / waterproof one.

I am usually as tight as a duck's derrière when it comes to clothes purchases, but I am willing to spend up £100 on the right smock (I know, I nearly fainted too). Obviously, the cheaper the better, but I am prepared to pay for quality, if my fancy is suitably tickled.

Atb.

Colin

paulthefish2009
22-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Think there has been a thread about this recently mate? My overworked,stressed out brain thinks "sapper" said something about dyeing/waterproofing a ex army winter smock.hope that helps. Paul

BJ
22-02-2013, 11:57 AM
It depends if you want "off the peg" or are prepared to have a little play. I bought a Swedish Windproof snow smock, these cost between £12 and £25. They come in off white or can be bought already dyed. I bought a white one and dyed it and waterproofed it. Sapper has also done this and to be honest I am thrilled with the result.

Scott
22-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I have that smock its surprisingly warm but its a bit bulky

Bob W
22-02-2013, 12:24 PM
It depends if you want "off the peg" or are prepared to have a little play. I bought a Swedish Windproof snow smock, these cost between £12 and £25. They come in off white or can be bought already dyed. I bought a white one and dyed it and waterproofed it. Sapper has also done this and to be honest I am thrilled with the result.

Is it THIS ONE?? (http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/product/swedish-hooded-windproof-snow-smocks/)

Did you use the commonly available Dylon dye and what did you use to waterproof it? TA!!

BJ
22-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Is it THIS ONE?? (http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/product/swedish-hooded-windproof-snow-smocks/)

Did you use the commonly available Dylon dye and what did you use to waterproof it? TA!!

Yes that's the exact one.

Used 2 packets of dylon machine dye with 2 packs of salt to dye it and it came out olive green. Then I waxed it using a mix of beeswax and petroleum jelly (same as Barbour for their thornproof -waterproof coating) This made it much darker and completely waterproof.

Here's the original post http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?655-What-Have-You-Bought-Now!!!/page298

David_JAFO
22-02-2013, 05:30 PM
hello,
Colin does the fleece liner go all the way sleeves included?
I was browsing similar in one of these cheap outdoor clothing stores
in Glasgow, only snag was the jacket had no sleeve liner & I thought ok
for warm weather but just now going to be a little chilly in the arms
department. Bushcraft Store usually are quite good quality, for the price
not bad :wink:
Regards
David
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/stores/scotland/glasgow-sauchiehall-street/

paulthefish2009
22-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorry BJ thought it was sapper that mentioned it,now remembered it was you,sorry mate.paul

Bob W
22-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Cheers Bill!! I assume the wax and PJ are melted together in a saucepan or similar over a low heat??

Kernowek Scouser
22-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Cheers for the replies and links fellas T^

I'm not averse to a bit of adaptation, so I may have a crack at doing a much inferior job to your effort BJ :D

But, as I am to needle work what an elephant is to tap dancing, I think I'm going to buy an off the peg, over the head job along with one of these snow smocks, so I have something to wear now and something to destroy adapt at my leisure.

Good point about the extent of the lining David, I have emailed TBS and will let you know what they say, for reference.

Atb.

Colin

BJ
23-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Cheers Bill!! I assume the wax and PJ are melted together in a saucepan or similar over a low heat??

Yes using two containers as for chocolate , I used a stainless dog bowl in a saucepan full of water, Dab the melted wax on with a brush and melt it in with a hairdryer on high and it spreads through the fibres.
I used about 500 gms of petroleum jelly and about 400 Gms of pure beeswax. The petroleum jelly is from farm type shop or ebay in 900gms tub.
71827183 It soaks right through to the inside so its a bombproof coating.:)

BJ
23-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Sorry BJ thought it was sapper that mentioned it,now remembered it was you,sorry mate.paul

no worries Paul, I think sapper did it first anyway. I just posted about the waxed version . http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rulez/t2025.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-rulez.php)

Kernowek Scouser
23-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I think I will have to pick your brain BJ, if and when I get my adapting head on.

Stupid Question. Would I be correct in assuming the waterproofing method you have mentioned, could also be applied to other cotton jackets / bags?

I did get an answer back from TBS re the extent of the lining.

Hi,
It is indeed the torso which is fleece, the sleeves seem to be nylon lined with some quilting in there.
Andy

As it says in the product blurb "I have one" I've asked if this nylon lined quilting results in a cold arms / warm body feeling when there is a nip in the air, will update if I get an answer.

rawfish111
23-02-2013, 05:52 PM
liking the look of them Swedish doodads

butchthedog
23-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Another nice item you got there BJ, I always wondered what "wax jacket" treatment was made from as well.

BJ
23-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I think I will have to pick your brain BJ, if and when I get my adapting head on.

Stupid Question. Would I be correct in assuming the waterproofing method you have mentioned, could also be applied to other cotton jackets / bags?

You can wax any cotton fabrics. :D

jus_young
24-02-2013, 09:26 PM
The smock from TBS is not a bad bit of kit really. Had mine for a while now and its put up with a bit of abuse. I have the one with the lining and it keeps the chill off quite well, the rain does tend to soak in quite quickly though. Never bothered trying to waterproof mine as it was only intended to be used in dry weather for me. I should have gone for a size bigger though as there is not much room to layer up underneath and the length on the back is not as good as I like.

Silverback
24-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Wow that wax waterproofing looks the dogs, looks like it may be more effective than my fabsil method too

Kernowek Scouser
24-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Got a further reply

Hi
Well to be honest i wear a couple of layers underneath, long sleeve thermal top and light jumper to counter the effect of cold . being wind proof it really cuts the chill down but if like today/yesterday then gloves a must, I spent a miserable day on range yesterday because hands were too cold to shoot in the end.
Andy

So from this and what you say Justin, this smock can take the edge out of the cold if used as an outer in a layering system, but you would still need to add a waterproof shell, to avoid getting soaked in the rain.

Fair enough, I have a poncho (a couple actually) so I think I am going take a punt and get one.

Just had another look at that snow smock you adapted BJ and it does look the business. Good work fella :D

Kernowek Scouser
12-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Still umming and ahhing over what I have been thinking of as a smock, but also seems to be called a shirt and an anorak, depending on where you look.

So for clarity, I'm looking for a hooded, over the head, outer jacket, that is windproof and at least shower proof.

In addition to the traditional style smock mentioned in my OP, I have also taking a liking to the following, any experience of them you would care to share would be gratefully appreciated, as would being pointed in the direction of any other similar garment, you have experience of and would recommend (Budget £100 ish, but remember, cheap is good).

SNUGPAK SLEEKA PILE SHIRT ELITE (http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=109&brand=16)
Ridgeline Storm Jacket Mountain Shirt (http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/671/112764/ridgeline-storm-warm-jacket-olive-rlcjsw/)
Paramo Velez Smock Waterproof (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nds-Paramo-Velez-Smock-Waterproof-Jacket-Coat-Black-XXL-/350737374647?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item51a9939db7)
Buffalo Mountain Shirt (http://www.thearmystore.co.uk/acatalog/Buffalo-Mountain-Shirt-Nato-Olive-Green.html) + Hood

Rimski
12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Morning all,

Recently, I've warmed to the idea of expanding my bushcraft wardrobe to include a smock and wondered if any of you good people would care to share your recommendations with me.

I am toying with this one
Windproof Fleece Lined Traditional Style Smock (http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/windproof-fleece-lined-traditional-style-smock-812-p.asp)

But I am open to being pointed in the direction of a more technical / pockety / waterproof one.

I am usually as tight as a duck's derrière when it comes to clothes purchases, but I am willing to spend up £100 on the right smock (I know, I nearly fainted too). Obviously, the cheaper the better, but I am prepared to pay for quality, if my fancy is suitably tickled.

Atb.

Colin
Hiya colin if you can wait a few days i can try and help you out i have the surplus smock but only worn twice im away in wales this weekend with Biker Bri and crew
:jumping-joy: so will be able to give you a better idea whence i return although up to now has blocked out the wind was concerned about wicking away sweat seems to be alright so far not worn in the rain.

Kernowek Scouser
12-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Cool (and cool you are getting to the Wales meet, it should be a right laugh) I'm a 46-48 inch chest, so XL or XXL depending on the fit, if your smock is big enough for a portly midget like me, I'll definitely be interested in having a chat when you get back :D

Atb,

Colin

Kernowek Scouser
12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I've also seen this

Kestrel Smock (http://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets/kestrel-smock-1.html#.UT-F19bwk-c)
It seems to tick most of the boxes, but at a choked 'HOW MUCH?!?' inducing £245, it is a little (actually a lot) more than I am prepared to pay. If anyone know of a smock, jacket, shirt, anorak, headover like this under £100, please do let me know.

Cheers,

Colin

Silverback
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Buffalo mountain shirt or montane extreme smock Colin circa 100 notes.

Kernowek Scouser
12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Cheers Wayne, that is definitely another one to add to the list.

Interestingly, the blurb on the mountain shirts states 'Used by Mountain Rescue teams and outdoor professionals' would you say this rings true in your experience of SAR, or a bit of an exaggeration?

Silverback
12-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Nope its true. Our team has Mardales which were a similar pile pertex, I believe edale mrt use montane pile pertex and I know of several other teams to use buffalo and similar. I used to have s special 6 myself. Ade has one and is also a fan

AdrianRose
12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Ade has one and is also a fan

I certainly have and I am a MASSIVE fan of the Special 6. When I was an estate groundsman I used to regularly work outdoors in subzero temperatures and it was the poodles plums!!

It'll be a very sad day that I have to give it a Viking funeral.

Ade

Kernowek Scouser
12-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Cheers for the reply Ade.

The special 6 looks pretty similar to the mountain shirt and is a similar price, just a bit longer?

Tony1948
13-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Colin you still looking for a smock? I can highly recommend the Hooded smocks from epic militaria they do them in camo or plain green or blue I thinkI got one about a month ago and have been weiring it all throw the bad weather we'v been haveing with just a shirt under neath it has a fleace lineing and is water proof and is verry light I slepped in it on our overknight last week.For the money I think it's the nuts £36-95 plus £3-95 post the item No was 180933249811 at http://www.epicmilitaria.com a lot cheeper than a one'er,good luck Bud...................TONY.........Try this on ebay 121024069531 or121024070883 just go to fleebay and punch in the nummber at the top.

Kernowek Scouser
13-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Tony, you are a star, that is just what I am after and at a price that not induce a nose bleed.

Cheers Fella T^

Tony1948
13-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Glade I could help Col T^

wildish64
13-03-2013, 04:12 PM
nice one tony,have bookmarked one of them too T^

Kernowek Scouser
15-03-2013, 12:55 AM
As the smock from Epic Militaria
7455£32.95

and the smock from The Bushcraft Store
7456also £32.95

look rather similar, I got to wondering if they are in fact the same smock.

So I did a little googling and was unable to confirm my suspicion, but I did find this:

Surplus Raw Vintage Windbreaker Warm Quilted Cagoule Olive Green (http://www.transatlantic.co.uk/acatalog/Windbreaker.html)
7457£34.00

which not only looks like the other two smocks, but also has the added cashet of being the smock of choice of CV embellishing ex dual survivalist, but otherwise top bloke, Dave Canterbury
which may explain why it is £1.05 more expensive.

Decisions, decisions...

Rimski
15-03-2013, 01:16 AM
A little cheaper and free postage http://www.military1st.co.uk/20-7001-01-surplus-windbreaker-jacket-olive.html

Kernowek Scouser
15-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh dear, that really is a bit of a spanner in the works fella. :shocked:

Thanks to the link you have provided, I now have an option under £30.

All my efforts to spend a fair whack and buy a top quality garment are being squeezed aside by my innate inability to resist what look like a bargain.

Going to have one last trawl myself, then I'll bite the bullet and make a decision.

However knowing me, I think the decision I will end up making, may require me to change my username to KS Canterbury. :D

Cheers for the link fellaT^

Rimski
18-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Looking at the dave canterbury one i would imagine that, that is the original one and the "surplus" is a copy, now having worn mine at the weekend camp i am happy with it but i dont really have much to compare against. it kept me warm and dry, i did get a XXL so that i could put another layer underneath which i didnt need to. If you travel by car to moots /camps then i think it fine but a bit to bulky to pack and lug about,oh the arms do have a nylon sleeve but that only covers the fleece in the sleeve i had to shorten the arms and put para cuffs on,didnt like the velcrow cuffs im sure it will last a while but like all things ill try somthing different next time

Kernowek Scouser
18-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Cheers for the feedback fella. T^

So the smock you have is a decent bit of gear, keeping you warm and dry, which are the main boxes ticked.

Shame about the arm length, but it sound like you have had and will continue to have fun adapting the arms to suit you.

I did go for the Dave Canterbury one in the end, hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I'll give it a test and post a mini review.

Thanks again.

Atb.

Colin
new pants, check, new jacket, check, now if I could just get a new knee, I might actually get out in them for an overnight camp!

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Right the 'Dave Canterbury' Surplus Raw Vintage windbreaker turned up this morning.
7521which I bought from here (http://www.military1st.co.uk/20-7001-01-surplus-windbreaker-jacket-olive.html), cheers for the link Rimski T^

Here is the info/specs:

WINDBREAKER
olive / Art.-No.: 20-7001-01

Rain jacket made of breathable, windproof and water-repellent nylon tissue.
High-closing chest zip
Integrated chest pocket, with zipper
Side pockets on either side, with zippers
Draw cords in the hood and waist.
Outer material: 100% nylon.
Inner lining: 100% polyester.

It also has none elasticated, adjustable Velcro cuffs and one zipper with additional Velcro closure on the left side, so you can vent the jacket while keeping the waist tight. And, if Olive green isn't for you, it is also available in solid black, brown and blue, plus a couple of different camo stylings.

Anyway, my first impression was Very Nice.

It is not a flimsy jacket, but nor is it an overly bulky one. It could be stowed in your pack, but as it compresses down to about the size of a rugby ball, I would not class it as a lightweight packable. It has a fleece type lying in the body and hood, but the arms have 'normal' nylon inner sleeves, with a bit of insulation between the inner and outer layers.

The first test. Does it fit me?

Having the broad chest and shoulder to match of a 6' 2" brick out house, but the short arms (legs) and back length of a Hobbit standing on his tip toes on the naughty step. finding jackets that fit me can be problematic. I ordered the XXL to accommodate my upper bulk and the smock went on easily enough, no square peg round hole feeling you get with some over the head garment. It is a very comfortable fit around my chest, upper back and shoulders and after wheeling my arms about like a mad person and reaching both high and low, I can report that there does not appear to be any restriction of movement. I can also roll my shoulders and stretch my back without the fear of experiencing tightness in the smock then hearing fabric rip (which has happened before, is not nearly as funny as it sounds and often renders a jacket both unusable and difficult to get a refund on) Also, the XXL chest sizing does not seem to be accompanied by an XXL back length, so it doesn't hang to my knees making me look like a kid in his Dad's clothes. Great fit for me so a big thumbs up. (but if you are both broad and tall, you could find the length a little short)
T^
However, all is not completely rosy in the sizing garden. The arms are about an inch too long, an issue which itself is not a great hardship and keeping in mind this is an XXL, not that unexpected (sometimes you get lucky and get jackets cut for a big chest and short arms, but more often you don't). But it is an issue that is compounded by what appear to poorly designed adjustable cuffs. The positioning of the Velcro on the cuff is off where it needs to be by at least an inch, the cuff itself has too much padding in it, making an adjusted cuff 'lumpy' and the adjuster tab is too thin and does not sit flush on the cuff when adjusted. This is not an issue that would upset me enough not to wear the smock at all, but it is something that will encourage me to put my thinking cap on and ponder alterations, down the line.
:oops:

On to the pockets. You can comfortably fit a map, compass, note pad and pencil, in a case, in the chest pocket (plus a mobile phone, a beanie hat, a pack of fags and a lighter) and the hand warmer pickets are roomy enough to accommodate a glove in each, dog treats in one, poo bags in the other, plus your hands in them too, without cutting off the circulation to your finger tips. So as far as the pockets go, another big thumbs up from me.
T^
The side vent is also rather handy, it makes getting the smock on and off less hassle and if you should want to vent, but keep the smock flush around your waist, the Velcro adjuster tab allows you to do so.
T^

So all that was left was giving the smock a field test and as it was raining and the dog had been patiently waiting with me for the smock to arrive, I decided to give it a baptism of water, while walking the puppy.

The warm Cornish mizzle I set off in, soon made way for much heavier rain accompanied by a reasonable strong wind. After a couple of minutes of the harsher weather, the dog (who did have her rain jacket on) was not happy, but I was feeling both warm and dry. However as I am not completely inconsiderate, I decided to break the law and have a fag under a bus shelter (for any non Brits reading, this means that I smoked a cigarette and not that enjoyed a special moment with a devotee of musical theatre). The rain and wind let up and by the time I was taking my last drags, the sun was actually shining. The dog took the change in the weather as an opportunity to pull me all over the shop, running hither and thither on the way home, so much so I actually worked up a bit of a sweat and got a chance to see if the vent actually difference to the heat the smock was retaining. In short it did and with a little fiddling with the Velcro adjuster, sat just as evenly on my waist as it had when the vent was zipped up. So the smock faired well in the wind and the rain, kept heat when zipped up and released enough heat to avoid discomfort, when vented. Another thumbs up.
T^
So to sum up, the Surplus Raw Vintage Windbreaker is a well made, reasonable well spec'ed jacket, that on initial testing has proven to be both windproof and water resistant. The arm length is a niggle, but one I can live with. The poorly designed cuff is more of an issue and one that will require some thought and attention at a future date and this does take some of the shine off an otherwise splendid jacket.

All in all, a high 8 out of 10.

paulthefish2009
19-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Nice review mate,just a thought but would the over long arm problem disappear once you get a wolly pully on underneath? Paul

Ehecatl
19-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks - great review. I am now tempted..... :evilgrin:

M@

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2013, 07:42 PM
It might fella, I was wearing a norgie and a lightweight baselayer under it today, so not a great deal of extra padding on my arms. A heavier wolly pully would certainly add bulk and might catch more of the arm length around padded biceps/shoulders.

Or I could just do a couple of reps, bench pressing the girlfriend, as she is certainly getting heavy enough to require planning and effort when lifting :D

She is not a member on here... I hope :shocked:

ian c
19-03-2013, 08:05 PM
That review sounds very good especially the long arms, normally i can not find a jacket that is long in the body and long in the arms but i will check this out.

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks - great review. I am now tempted..... :evilgrin:

M@ For the price, it is definitely worth a punt, even if the cuffs are a little worrisome.

cuppa joe
20-03-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Secolux-Ventile-Single-Layer-Windproof-Smock-Jacket-L-Bushcraft-With-Pockets-/111034949893?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_ LE&hash=item19da32e105

Kernowek Scouser
20-03-2013, 05:57 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Secolux-Ventile-Single-Layer-Windproof-Smock-Jacket-L-Bushcraft-With-Pockets-/111034949893?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_ LE&hash=item19da32e105

Interesting. I know a lot of people, especially over on BCUK, are big fans of ventile clothing, lauding its wind stopping and water repelling qualities. But I have never owned or even tried anything made from the stuff and I am yet to be convinced it is anything other than an expensive, heavy cotton.

Have you any experience of the stuff?

cuppa joe
20-03-2013, 08:11 PM
No i have never tried ....too expensive for my tastes but it's supposed to be a great outdoor material.
I saw this whilst browsing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/arktis-country-covers-temperate-shirt-large-/261187325024?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_ LE&hash=item3ccffa4c60.

Peaks
20-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Had a Survival Aids ventile jacket for donkeys years. Great bit of kit. When it finally died (after about 15 years of heavy use) I replaced it with a double ventile Rover jacket from Country Innovations about 6 years ago (cheaper then!) http://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets
Its probably going to last me out.
Ventile is much more than just an expensive cotton - its nothing like a cotton combat jacket or gaberdine.

Ventile does get heavy and stiff when wet and can take a while to dry. But if looked after is as good as (or better) as any gore-tex jacket that I've had and much more hard wearing. You don't have to worry about sparks or someone dropping hot fag ash on it either. Its quiet (non rustle) too. In my opinion it breathes much better than any gore-tex type fabric - especially when its really persisting down.
Ventile has lots of advantages, but also disadvantages eg is bulky, heavier than synthetic, not as trendy etc.

The best synthetic jacket I've had (and its still going strong after 7years) is the Keela Munro. Had a fault with my original after 3 years - contacted Keela who took it back, examined it and then sent me a new one with an apology. Thats service! Quite a lot of MRT teams use the Munro I understand.

As with most of these things its down to personal preference. Country Innovations are really helpful people - worth talking to.
Country Covers make good kit and are partners with Arktis, think they do some ventile? They often are at the larger game or country fairs where you can see and try the stuff.
HTH

Kernowek Scouser
21-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for sharing you experience fella. Most of the folks I have spoken to about ventile have, like you, been very happy with its performance.

I was being a little flippant when I refereed to ventile as just a heavy cotton, however I do still believe the cost of garments made from it are somewhat inflated. An example that springs to mind is Kestrel Smock (http://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets/kestrel-smock-1.html#.UUs2WRfwk-c) I mentioned in #post 23 (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5224-Smock-Recommendations&p=74034&viewfull=1#post74034), also by Country Innovations. Retailing at £245, it is around £100 more expensive than the Paramo Velez, £120 ish more than the Ridgeline Monsoon (or £180 more than the cheaper Ridgeline Storm jacket, which I was tempted by) and almost £150 more expensive than either the Buffalo Mountain Shirt & Special 6 or the Montane Extreme. All of which are highly rated jackets. Granted, I may not be comparing apples to apples, but is ventile that good, it is reasonable for a jacket made from it, to cost around £100 more than a high end, synthetic, technical counter part?

Honestly, I don't know.

But like you say, it all comes down to personal preference and if you have had a good experience with a jacket, it has taken all you and the elements can throw at it and it has lasted for years, then you will be more willing to pay a premium price, as you experiences has proven it to be a sound long term investment.

Maybe if I win the Euro Millions tomorrow, I'll get one :D

Thanks again for the feedback T^

Peaks
21-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi,
Agree with you about the inflated price for ventile. I don't know, but suspect that a lot of these ventile garments are made in the UK with consequently increased costs over Chinese factories. I also suspect that the material is more costly than synthetic.
Not sure that I'd pay the current price for the Rover, it is a bit eye watering! I am sure it will last a good 15 years though with some TLC.
I guess that natural fibre garments are just generally more expensive than synthetic. Can it be justified? - don't know either!

Silverback
21-03-2013, 10:34 PM
The best synthetic jacket I've had (and its still going strong after 7years) is the Keela Munro. Had a fault with my original after 3 years - contacted Keela who took it back, examined it and then sent me a new one with an apology. Thats service! Quite a lot of MRT teams use the Munro I understand.

A lot of MR Teams and Lowland Rescue teams do indeed use the Munro, this also has a lot to do with the special package that Keela do for MR which makes it very cost effective. There are also teams out ther using Rab, Montane, Mountain Equipment and Paramo to name a few. My personal favourite out of the Keela V Paramo is Paramo...mainly because as a big bloke I dont do MVP jackets very well, probably another reason for liking ventile too. I have an ex mil single ventile issue smock hich has served me well for manya a year

Kernowek Scouser
25-03-2013, 02:38 PM
After putting up with me for quite a while being a big girls blouse regarding my troublesome knee, my little lady decided that I owed her and yesterday was an opportunity for me to make the first repayment of my debt (and I say first, as there are bound to be many, many more instalments!). She decided I was to be her bag carrier, as she perused the oddments at a local car boot sale, which was not a great hardship in itself, as you never know what bushy bits you might find. But, it was also to be followed by a Sunday roast, in pub not particularly renowned for its food (or anything else) in the company of her (at best annoying at worst awful) friends.

Being a believer in the thinking that if you say a thing will happen often enough, then happen it will, regardless of every other external factor, my little lady was not about to change her plans yesterday morning, when we awoke to a rather chilly day. I didn't say a word, as I got several looks that suggested even thinking about saying a word could result multiple negative eventualities, I just went along with the expected plan, keeping my reservations to myself.

I did manage to convince my moon and stars, that one of my rucksacks, the 40L one, would be better suited to the day's planned activities, than the various girly carrier bags she intended to take (and for me to carry when full). This proved to be a major strategic victory on my part, as this particular pack has a rather voluminous compartment at the base, to house the rain cover, which is also big enough to stuff my softie trousers into, which I promptly did.

We headed out, both reasonably wrapped up, me in my thermals, norgie, BG keks and smock, her also in thermals, a pair of karrimor lined trousers, a norgie (one of mine) and a north face down jacket. And as it was not too far from her place to the car boot sale, we decided to walk there.

To describe the weather as a bit brass monkey's would be an understatement. It was very cold to begin with, but when the wind hit us, which it did very quickly, it must have taken the temperature down a good couple of notches. I have said before, I am a bit of a tart when it comes to being cold and after five minutes of walking uphill into the wind, while my new smock was keeping my arms and body reasonable warm, my legs were freezing. So I called a momentary halt to slow march, fished out the softies, this sight of which elicited a sigh and a rolling of eyes from the light of my life, as she believes they make me look like a short, round MC hammer; zipped them on (I love the full leg zips on both sides, makes them very easy to put on in a hurry) and resumed our trudge up hill.

While the effect was far from instantaneous, once we had crested the hill and were heading down the other side, now at an angle to the wind and with a bit more speed, my legs did start to warm up and by the time we had reached the relatively flat field, where the car boot sale was taking place, I was positively toastie.

Not that many folks had turned up to sell their wares and most who had were makers of jewellery, ornaments and things I don't need made of wood; so there was not much to catch my eye (I know I was surprised too) but plenty to keep my lovely little wallet emptier happy. And I was happy to follow her from boot and stall to stall and boot then back again, as I was still nice and warm.

She eventually bought herself a little broach type thing and I got her a lump of wood, that is apparently a dog (looks more like a pig, if you ask me, but she likes it, it was only a couple of quid and I never miss an opportunity to gets some cheap brownie points).

Sadly, her less resolute friends were put off by the cold weather and all but one of them phoned to make their excuses (and the one who didn't, the missus doesn't like so much either, so she called her to cancel) and instead of going to the rubbish pub, we went to a better, nearer one and enjoyed a decent Sunday roast. The missus did insist I take the softies off before we went in the pub, as I apparently looked like an olive green telly tubby, but I was still so warm, the momentary chill I felt in the foreyard on removing them, failed to bite in to my bones. And after the meal and a drink or three to wash it down, the smock and softie combo kept my warm all the home.

So to cut a rather long story short, the smock on its own kept my body warm and when used in conjunction with the softie trousers, the two kept me very toastie all over. And, as the smock and softies are the same colour, I thought they kind of worked on the fashion front too, despite the 'cruel' comparison to toddlers televisual tormentor my little lady felt obliged to share with me. Plus, I didn't feel like a proper numpty wearing them. So I have a feeling, while the cold hangs about and the smock remains my primary choice of jacket, the softies will get a fair few outings too.

I should have suggested, you get yourself a cup of tea before you started reading, shouldn't I?

Oh well, never mind, treat yourself to one now, you've earned it :D

EJS
25-03-2013, 02:45 PM
hi

i got this one a while back:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0090N7NFS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and its kept me warm, dry and its light and just a nice coat.

i also saw a thread on here somewhere with a really nice heriklon (check spelling) fleece top...

ill see if i can find it, mightve been elsewhere..or was it on northern woodsman (again check name) link on his profile here???

not much help was i in the end, sorry

Kernowek Scouser
25-03-2013, 03:28 PM
If it works for you and you like it, then there is not much more you can ask, is there?

I see your Mil Tec jackets is also available in woodland dpm (http://www.military1st.co.uk/10335020-mil-tec-combat-anorak-woodland.html) which might be of interest to some of the hunters and stalkers we have on here.

Helikon do quite a few fleece tops, you may find the one you are thinking of here (http://www.helikon-tex.com/#_Fleeces).

You never know who might take a fancy to any gear you link to, so your post may well be of help to someone

Thanks for the comment and the link.
T^

Silverback
25-03-2013, 03:38 PM
If its a stupid idea but it works...then it wasnt stupid.

Ehecatl
25-03-2013, 06:50 PM
multiple negative eventualities

All in all then a result!

When the children were much much smaller, I'd often be given items of their clothing to look after when out and about and on many occasions being cold I'd "borrow" bits of it. So, yes, I have walked around ASDA wearing a Fireman Sam beanie hat (clearly much too small for me). But, I'd rather look weirder than normal and be warm!

M@

EJS
26-03-2013, 06:45 AM
If it works for you and you like it, then there is not much more you can ask, is there?

I see your Mil Tec jackets is also available in woodland dpm (http://www.military1st.co.uk/10335020-mil-tec-combat-anorak-woodland.html) which might be of interest to some of the hunters and stalkers we have on here.

Helikon do quite a few fleece tops, you may find the one you are thinking of here (http://www.helikon-tex.com/#_Fleeces).

You never know who might take a fancy to any gear you link to, so your post may well be of help to someone

Thanks for the comment and the link.
T^

cheers for sorting names right :-)

the helikon is on the inside back cover of this months bushcraft magazine...looks very nice

NedB33
24-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi,

This seems as good as place as any to ask the question..

I'm looking for some advice on the links below. I'm after a warm, windproof coat that i dont need to worry about wearing beside the fire etc.. I cant stretch to anything ventile like but always liked the M65. Seems to suit what im looking for, i like the interchangeable liner and while it has pockets, it doesnt have a million of them.

Thoughts appreciated..

Option 1. (http://www.military1st.co.uk/20-2501-61-surplus-m65-regiment-jacket-olive.html)

Option 2. (http://www.military1st.co.uk/ku-m65-ny-02-helikon-genuine-m65-jacket-olive.html)

Obviously open other suggestions!

Neil.

Silverback
24-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Ex German Army parka ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-German-Army-Flecktarn-Parka-WITH-QUILTED-REMOVEABLE-LINER-/170955485552?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item27cdbdb170

being a Yorkshireman Im forced to look for the cheaper option

NedB33
24-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah well im north east Lancs so not looking to spend a fortune, either!

Thanks for the suggestion, not sold on the camo (daft, i know but it gives me a headache) but having a google for similar styles.

Kernowek Scouser
24-04-2013, 08:12 PM
or Dutch Army DPM parka, Goretex and Pile lined (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300864515539?var=600087323258&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)
£37.50

jus_young
24-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I went with one of these

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-urban-jacket-mens-442053?colcode=44205390

A lightweight fleece top underneath and kept me nice and warm in the cold winds at the Cornwall RV. Also means I don't have too heavy a coat all the time.