PDA

View Full Version : bic lighter fire kit

Dave ward
18-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Ok i just watched a video on YouTube about a guy who took a used bic lighter, cut the bottom off and then put a cotten ball with afew matches all inside the lighter body then used a inner tube as a band that was rapped around the lighter lengthways to keep it all it then connected it to a carabiner. Just thought some of you may like the idea and also don't forget as its a lighter you will also have a flint striker with you as well as your matches and cotton balls. Dave

wildish64
19-02-2013, 08:47 AM
personally i've found if a lighter gets wet it wont spark and i prefer a container i know will keep things dry

Silverback
19-02-2013, 10:21 AM
personally i've found if a lighter gets wet it wont spark and i prefer a container i know will keep things dry

Likewise, I keep a lighter in my waterproof tinder box as aback up. My go to firelighting method is ferro rod wih natural tinders but i also practice with flint and steel. I like the matches and lighter as an emergency shtf firelighting method to quickly get a fire going if i have got drenched falling in a river for example

Bob W
19-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I think he meant the used ie, empty lighter is just the container for a cotton ball and matches, probably for a back up source of fire, should your normal method get wet, lost, exhausted, or whatever. :confused2:

FishyFolk
19-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I got one of those. But I think I carry at least 5-6 if not more means of lighting a fire. But find that generally it's not creating a flame that is the problem. The problem is keeping it going long enough that it will be self sutainable and not just poutter out once you turn your back to it to get on with other chores.

treefrog
19-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Disposable lighters are the greatest invention since the printing press. On canoe trips we take half a dozen of them thrown into the dry bags, pockets, etc.
Taking the effort to cut the bottom off one and use it for match storage may be a good idea, but honestly I just wouldn't have the spare time to be bothered.
So here I was this morning having a late breakfast and reading this thread so I did an experiment while sipping my morning coffee...I dropped a bic lighter into
a cup of water and let it soak there for ten minutes, then I pulled it out of the water, shook it out and tried to light it. In less than 60 seconds it was fully
functional. Good enough for me...

Dave ward
19-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah i don't uses this lighter method myself but thought maybe someone on here may like the idea :) i personally use/have on me a fire steel and waxed jute cord as tinder also 3/4 matches and striker. That's my fire kit. Dave

Sar-ian
19-02-2013, 02:24 PM
As a back-up to my back-up to my back-up I have a disposable light inside a piece of inner tube folded over at each end with a elastic band round the middle. The inner tube can be cut into strips and once lit they burn well although smokey but fire is fire....

treefrog
08-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Okay, i just thought of a great argument for why lighters are better than firesteels... say for whatever reason one of your hands has become disabled;
you've fallen off a precipice or frozen it or had it bitten off by a large mammal or reptile, etc..., firesteels are rather unwieldy with just one hand, but the
good old reliable Bic lighter is specifically designed for one hand use.

shepherd
08-10-2013, 07:33 AM
As a back-up to my back-up to my back-up I have a disposable light inside a piece of inner tube folded over at each end with a elastic band round the middle. The inner tube can be cut into strips and once lit they burn well although smokey but fire is fire....

i used to carry a zippo as back up to my ferro rod.. came to use it once and found the gas had evaporated... i carry a disposable one now instead... need to work on my flint and steel fire lighting more thought... the more options the better!

ratcatcher
08-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Okay, i just thought of a great argument for why lighters are better than firesteels... say for whatever reason one of your hands has become disabled;
you've fallen off a precipice or frozen it or had it bitten off by a large mammal or reptile, etc...,

and you want to light a FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get to the bloody hospital

shepherd
08-10-2013, 04:18 PM

haha T^

Rasputin
08-10-2013, 08:43 PM

I believe the point he was making is TSHTF scenario in the middle of nowhere, If you are that close to a hospital why bother !

ian c
08-10-2013, 10:34 PM
As a smoker I have a bic lighter with me, I used to use a zippo but as has been said when needed the fuel has run out or evaporated, other than that when im out walking/ camping ect I carry a flint an steel, wind an waterproof matches, and strike anywhere matches (swan vestas) which have been dipped in wax, so HOPEFULLY I will never be without something to make a fire.

Old Guard
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
As Fire is one of the top five requirements, according to just about any list I have ever read. Then redundancy (american phrase I believe) in fire lighting is very important. Anyone who has tried to get a light from a damp box of matches, will agree with that. So multiple methods are better than one.

I too have also been let down by a petrol lighter, so I never carry a lighter of any description. Though listening to you guy's, Bic's seem to be carried by many.

My question is does the fuel evaporate the same as Zippo's etc ?

Rasputin
09-10-2013, 01:10 PM
My question is does the fuel evaporate the same as Zippo's etc ? Not unless you manage to depress the valve. one way to avoid evaporation is to tie it in a condom / balloon, I'll post a pic later as Ime off out now. I always keep a lighter in my pocket, originates from being a smoker that and a swiss army knife, I feel bare without them. But I can always light a fire if I want too, and I always have a backup in a balloon in my kit with WP matches, striker and lense (some hope of sun, ha ha) and of course PC too make a bow drill, Simples ! BTW how ya doin OG

Old Guard
09-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Ah' the old condom ploy - best to be safe :innocent:

I always feel naked without a pocket knife and small torch - maybe I'll be adding a Bic to that list then :o

(Yeah Rasp, I'm OKAY)

OG

shepherd
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
i went through a phase of collecting old zippos... and every single one iv carried at work has let me down within a couple of days though running out of gas... got so sick of buying zippo gas i gave up on them - could be because there mostly older ones - however iv seen lots of stuff on them online and seems to be a recurring problem for most people... those who persevere with them tend to use ranger bands to seal them until needed and it looks to do the trick... also handy emergency tinder...

surplus 6
15-10-2013, 09:48 PM
excuse the flee bay add, but would something like this be as good as a bic,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110991225103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1115wt_1162

ian c
15-10-2013, 10:47 PM
surplus them petrol lighter jobs that you showed with a screw top from ebay also evaporate I have one.

midas
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Was clearing out my hunting bum bag n came across,one of those "gadjets"for zapping insect bites.clicking it a couple of times,small spark,DOH??????would this light any tinder?????Not yet,BUT IT DID LIGHT MY GAS BLOWLAMP n GAZ STOVE.
Guess it is a phietzo crystaLBut its designed to shock rather than spark.Nevertheless.another string to the fire lighting Bow.

FishyFolk
09-01-2014, 02:55 PM

It will spark again within a few seconds and light as good as before is my experience...

rik_uk3
12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Disposable lighters are the greatest invention since the printing press. On canoe trips we take half a dozen of them thrown into the dry bags, pockets, etc.
Taking the effort to cut the bottom off one and use it for match storage may be a good idea, but honestly I just wouldn't have the spare time to be bothered.
So here I was this morning having a late breakfast and reading this thread so I did an experiment while sipping my morning coffee...I dropped a bic lighter into
a cup of water and let it soak there for ten minutes, then I pulled it out of the water, shook it out and tried to light it. In less than 60 seconds it was fully
functional. Good enough for me...

I've stopped smoking but did use zippo's for years, generally speaking as a 20+ a day Marlboro man I'd need to fill it about every four or five days. There is something nice about a zippo but...

Throw away 'Bic' lighters are just so reliable and so cheap its daft not to have half a dozen or more in your kit, bottom of a rucksack, in the side pockets, two or three on yourself etc.

Less than 20p each delivered you really can't go wrong
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAS-LIGHTERS-CIGARETTE-LIGHTERS-DISPOSABLE-CIGARETTE-LIGHTERS-/251419683399?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking _LE&var=&hash=item3a89c7ea47

Lighting with flint and steel/char cloth is great fun but I'm finding that as I get older I just want something to work when needed:( Bloody hell, I'm a sad old git:rolleyes:

saxonaxe
12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
In order I use.. 1. matches 2. a Bic lighter 3. a ferro rod. Matches in a waterproof container obviously. I like matches because after the initial flame you get the benefit of a little length of kindling still burning. With the Bic when it's out..it's out. Ferro's for playing (and back up) :D

Rasputin
12-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Lighting with flint and steel/char cloth is great fun but I'm finding that as I get older I just want something to work when needed Bloody hell, I'm a sad old git Not so, its only logical. When you want to play you play when you NEED a fire you use these best tool for the job ! SIMPLES T^

Bushtickler
12-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Agreed. The little Bic ones are truly bullet proof. Dry out in ten seconds if you rub the flint reel up and down your thigh like a cricket bowler.
As for zippo's I've packed in that game.
27 strikes to the gallon - cheaper to jump in the v12 jag and do a couple of laps while the cig lighter warms up.
The fancy mini blow torch things Impress you for about 5 seconds till you realise that was that. Jag time again.
Good old Bic. Works 90% of the time....every time ;)

Bushtickler
12-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Car camping weatherproof alternative
Pros: effective
Cons: possible war crimes

rik_uk3
12-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Not so, its only logical. When you want to play you play when you NEED a fire you use these best tool for the job ! SIMPLES T^

Quite right, I simply did not want to upset anyone fixated in the more 'traditional' frame of mind T^

Rasputin
12-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Car camping weatherproof alternative
Pros: effective
Cons: possible war crimes

Now thats a fire lighter :evilgrin: