PDA

View Full Version : Swedish snow smock

BJ
17-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I bought a wind-proof Swedish snow smock in off white with the intention of dying and waterproofing.

So far I have managed the dying.
next stage is to melt the beeswax and petroleum jelly and paint it on and then use a heat gun to melt it into the fibres. The finished result should be a waxed jacket.http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/religion/t0811.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-religion.php)

Not my original idea, I have seen it done and was inspired to make one.

Silverback
17-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Didnt you post this somewhere else too ? I have done the same, dyed, proofed with fabsil though and i added knitted cuffs from some old army socks. Next on the list is to add chest pockets and a removable fur trim for the hood

BJ
17-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Is the Fabsil really waterproof ?

Silverback
17-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Is the Fabsil really waterproof ?

No less waterproof than nickwax i use on my Paramo, it wouldnt stand a downpour though but then again most fabrics would give in at some point. Its a cracking jacket though i love it :)

BJ
17-02-2013, 07:37 PM
No less waterproof than nickwax i use on my Paramo, it wouldnt stand a downpour though but then again most fabrics would give in at some point. Its a cracking jacket though i love it :)

That'll do for me, thanks. T^

Silverback
17-02-2013, 07:56 PM
That'll do for me, thanks. T^

I also proof my canvas trailer tent with it which managed to survive 10 days without a single leak last august.............. in Wales - nuff said ;)

David_JAFO
17-02-2013, 08:34 PM
hello,
Fabsil or Scotch Guard (Waterproof) around same price I've used both give great results :wink:
Regards
David

butchthedog
17-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Don't laugh, but I had some Thompsons Waterseal left over from a job. On the tin it read you could waterproof fabric with it, well I had bought a parka coat half price from Matalan £15, nice and warm so thought I would waterproof it. I used one of them sqirty type bottles that have glass cleaner in them, hung the coat on the washing line and sqirted away. I used about three pints of this stuff, I just kept going till the coat and insulation was saturated with it and was dripping off. I put it in the garage to dry off, it took about a week, the coat was waterproof alright but you could smell me coming twenty yards away for weeks. I still use that coat to this day, it's been washed a few times but there is still a very faint aroma of "Thompsons".

Midge_Fodder
17-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I've heard a rumour that diluted fee-bond does the jobs too.

Chubbs
17-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I have asked about using Thompsons Waterseal in the past because I heard about using it too.

Maybe if it was just painted on with a brush, it would have dried a lot quicker and also lost the smell sooner. I used Fabsil with a brush and it stank to high heaven also, but only for a day or two.