PDA

View Full Version : Rigging of tarp guy ropes

FishyFolk
14-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Out in the shed rigging guy ropes for the DD XL tarp. Putting on 3 meter lengths of 550 cords on each corner. But have seen that some use bungee cords for this purpose. Is that good idea?

Or am I missing something here?

(You see, now I will come with all the n00b questions about hammocking and tarpology :-) )

alvino78
14-02-2013, 01:38 PM
having used both regulary i find the bungees good for corners but not the ridge, i have had them snap in bad weather, i prefer paracord for strength and when accustomed to the knots used just as quick as bungees! hope this helps Rune. plus bungees heavier lol

suggy
14-02-2013, 03:07 PM
As a compromise, you can use just a piece of shock cord instead of a full bungee. The mitten hooks I've used are optional, I just like to be able to dissassemble my kit in case I fancy a change. ( I've used 5mm shock cord )

Have a look here

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3731

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8474008482_2ed05179e7_z.jpg

:)

wildish64
14-02-2013, 03:10 PM
have to agree with alvino, i gave up with bungees after 1 snapped on me but the problem i noticed most of all if there's any wind the tarp tend to 'bounce' around as the elastic has too much give in it. I always use paracord on the corners with slider knots and for the ridge a siberian/evenk hitch at one end and a tensioning knot on the other.
i use prussik knots an a piece of stick to join the tarp to the ridgeline

this is a good little vid for knots for tarp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-CwJNEkcs

FishyFolk
14-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I got the ridge line sorted allready. It's the guy lines I am unceartain about.

For the ridge line I have set it up with12 meters of 550 paracord. That the tarp slides freely on. And secure the tarp with a prussik loop to the end tarp loops, so that I can slide the tarp back and forth, and adjust it as I please. For a 4,5 meter long tarp, that is probably to much but always nice to have a little extra.

Suggys suggestion for the guy lines I like :-)

if it does not work for me I can just remove the shock cord. I got some 6 mm marine shock cord, and still have a guy line on. And I have all day tomorrow to sort it. (I've always called all sorts of elastic rope, bungee rope).

Al21
14-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I have shock/bungee cord loops on all my tarps, depending on tarp configuration they get used directly onto pegs or cord guylines. I often tie guylines to rocks, trees etc and bring the adjustable end back to the tarp so the guy appears upside down, that might seem hard to follow, but makes sense when seen.

Al

jus_young
14-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I use 5mm shock cord on the corners which takes some of the strain off in bad winds, avoids trips and tears when the line is walked into and makes adjustment really easy without long lines trailing about. One thing you may need to consider is that the elastic does not like extremes of cold, it becomes string rather than shock cord.

Ehecatl
14-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Chaps - a quick questions then.

Tarp config. Tent or diamond?

I've tried both and have some views, however I'd love to hear the experience of the forum.

Silverback
14-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Chaps - a quick questions then.

Tarp config. Tent or diamond?

I've tried both and have some views, however I'd love to hear the experience of the forum.

tent for bad weather, diamond for summer

jus_young
15-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Tent every time. Even more so now that I have the TW Sargasso as this won't go diamond configuration as it is narrow and long

Silverback
15-02-2013, 11:18 AM
tent for bad weather, diamond for summer

mind you my mate joe pitches tent style everytime and if he wants a better view just guys out the sides flatter

Stamp
15-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I always use paracord, I look it around a stick at the height required which holds up the tarp. I then peg to the ground, this allows you to see out more in good weather. In bad weather i would peg straight to the floor to keep the rain/wind out. i like the buggy/para combitation, good prevention technique.

Silverback
15-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I always use paracord, I look it around a stick at the height required which holds up the tarp. I then peg to the ground, this allows you to see out more in good weather. In bad weather i would peg straight to the floor to keep the rain/wind out. i like the buggy/para combitation, good prevention technique.

same here I generally use a clove hitch to my own made pegs

FishyFolk
15-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, pegs is out of the question here, the ground is frozen solid a meter deep.
So will have to tie off to trees. Well, just spent 250 foot of paracord on ridgleine and a 3 meter guy rope for each tie out point on the tarp :-)

And have also completed the rigging of the hammock, and working on the pulk now. I won't get the rigid army trace this weekend, so have made a rope trace and a brake system.
Coming back with some picks when its all done.

One thing on the DD tarp. I am glad I ordered those snakeskins, because it's a hard job getting that tarp stuffed back into it stuff sack! A slightly widr stuff sack, perhaps with som compression straps are in order for that one.

jus_young
15-02-2013, 02:22 PM
mind you my mate joe pitches tent style everytime and if he wants a better view just guys out the sides flatter

Same here

rawfish111
15-02-2013, 04:37 PM
One thing on the DD tarp. I am glad I ordered those snakeskins, because it's a hard job getting that tarp stuffed back into it stuff sack! A slightly widr stuff sack, perhaps with som compression straps are in order for that one.

I've not used mine much, work gets in the way, but when I have I found it easier to take the extra time to roll it as it didn't seem to want to go just stuffed in.

ian c
15-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I use para cord for my tarp also set it up tent fashion, i have the dd 3x3.